The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Entry 53 is up. If you haven't been following the Twitter, you may want to look at it. The Entry does a decent job at summarizing it, but it should only take 10-15 minutes to read the backlog to last December.
Advertisements  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM

#54 is up!

There was also a totheark response in the meantime, Reminder.

Reminder:
SPOILER:
So after seeing Tim finally remember Jay from a few years ago back in college (in #53) and seemingly be pretty normal - if seeing a shrink for some reason but doing better - we get a TTA video. Does Tim have periods of fugue? Another personality? Is TTA really a group (cf the 2+ masked folk in previous encounters) and another one - "Hoody"? - is putting out this video?

#54: Tim meets with Jay to give him some old behind-the-scenes footage, and Jay shows us part of one of those tapes.
SPOILER:
Loved Tim busting Jay about his filming...

There aren't too many tapes by the looks of the bag.

This particular tape seems pretty early in filming - there's enough footage that Alex is thinking about a trailer and the soundtrack, but not far along enough that Alex is in mostly-asshole mode. Good to see Seth (outdoor sequence) and Brian (in Tim's apartment) alive and well. Nice joking around, and then... the lights go out.

If you didn't pause in time, check around time point 5:25-5:28ish... And then again at the very end.

Is it me, or did Alex look kind of... menacing in the light of the flashlight? And his playing did sound a little dramatic, just in time for that shadow in the door as the tape goes wonky.

It was really sad to see such a lighthearted time, back when these guys were still friends and happy, and to have such funny moments contrasted with really chilling ones.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM

I've now spent awhile watching all of them up to Entry 54, and found the Wikidot (http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/start) helpful, particularly the detailed transcripts of the entries. But one thing has escaped me: how does Alex know Jessica? As best I know, she's introduced in Entry 28 when Jay leaves his hotel room to look around. Did I miss something before?

And what's the relationship between Alex, Amy, and Jessica? I believe Amy's the girl in the gazebo during the filing of Marble Hornets, but does she know Jessica? Or is all that part of the missing 7 months?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Amy and Jessica were roommates; we find that out in entry #43. Amy's dating Alex, and she's prominently featured in (IIRC) entry #26.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 03-26-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Can I resurrect this zombie? Because I just watched the whole series this weekend. Got the episode list, and tucked in for episodes 1-61 and all the associated weirdness. I thought it was all finished up, so imagine my surprise when I saw that a new episode had just appeared!

I have never gone from zero to nerd so quickly. And also, my bedroom curtains have a dark slightly curved vine pattern to them. They're going to have to go.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 PM

I wonder if the folks who created Slenderman have anything to say about "The Tall Man" starring Jessica Biel.
It looks to have scrapped away the supernatural elements but really does seem like the scriptwriter was inspired by the Slenderman story.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Gesturing Mildly, you should take a look at the comics here. Then, watch any of the series that sound interesting. Some of them have ARG (alternate reality game) elements, but at least for the ones I've watched the ARG isn't necessary to understand the videos (thank goodness).
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM

I took too long to edit. I realised my last sentences isn't entirely correct. It should be, "Some of them have ARG (alternate reality game) elements, but at least for the ones I've watched they have wikis set up so people can read about the background stuff without worrying about missing something."

Because I remembered how much of the EMH stuff is from ARGs. The wiki is particularly useful for that one!

Last edited by Achren; 09-04-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM

There is a free game called Slender that I assume is related to Marble Hornets. I watched a YouTube video of a guy playing it and even though he seemed to know the game mechanics quite well, the anticipation of the slender man appearing was still apparently very scary.

If you type slender too much the word starts looking very weird.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

I'm not much into video games, but I'm going to give Slender a go this weekend.

I have a silly question, though. I keep hearing MH referred to as an ARG. But it's not really a game, is it? I mean, there are a lot of mysteries, but the idea is that, like most shows, they'll reveal the truth to us eventually, right? Or am I supposed to be trying harder?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM

AFAIK, MH isn't an ARG. Troy will tweet things in character (Jay) and occasionally ask for help, but it's mainly a show.

Now, with CaughtNotSleeping, there was a bit where fans had to solve a puzzle and tweet/text him the answer so he could do the next things. EverymanHybrid has fans figuring out geographical coordinates and digging up buried clues. These things, to me, are more ARG-ish than what MH does. But I think having MH just be a show makes it more accessable - there's no need to read a wiki or forums to catch up.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM

So uh, did anyone catch the newest episode? Holy shit.

SPOILER:
They just killed Jay.

Sure he got abducted to Slendyverse, or whatever, so he may come back. But it was still kind of shocking to see that. I guess Tim is now our protagonist
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Yup, saw it. Wow. I checked the Twitter account to see if there was a followup but it looks like just a couple of encoded tweets a day before this episode. (Probably another TTA 'hijack' of the account, from what I can tell from discussion elsewhere.)

SPOILER:
I know it's just the same old white words on a black screen, but for me, it felt like you could feel Tim's despair in those last statements. That he really was trying to keep Jay from harm, and instead... ouch. And holy shit, Alex!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Looks like the Marble Hornets series has come to an end after 87 entries - the penultimate episode 86 was rather action packed and dramatic, while this entry #87 (posted on the anniversary of the first episode) looks to be a wrap up of loose ends, and includes some driving video to bookend that found in the first episode.
I suppose there could be separate TTA postings, and even a new season in the future, but to me the series looks pretty well ended.

Last edited by SirRay; 06-21-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Old 06-21-2014, 06:40 PM

I wonder if they got any of the blowback from the stories about those two girls who tried to kill their friend as a tribute to the Slender Man.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM

No, they chose to delay Entry 86 out of respect on their own terms, but other than that they never mentioned any hatemail or blowback.