The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Why did they put fluoride in the drinking water at the concentration camps in WWII?

I doubt very seriously that they had the Jewish people's teeth in their interest. Since Sodium Fluoride in a Nero-Toxin and a waste by product of the manufacture of Aluminum, why do we need to ingest it into our bodies?

Wouldn't topical solutions be better? Then at the very least you could spit it out.
I understand that this nero-toxin is used also as an insecticide like rat poison.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on the why its needed vs the natural organic fluoridation derived from proper foods as an edible salt, insoluble in water and assimilable by the human body, whereas the non-organic sodium fluoride used in fluoridating water is instant poison to the body and fully water soluble. The body refuses to assimilate it.

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.
Advertisements  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 AM

My understanding is that it was part of a Communist plot to sap our precious bodily fluids, though the exact mechanism is a little fuzzy to me...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM

OP, what is your source for information on that?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 AM

I just googled it and found numerous articles that say it was used to make the prisoner's docile and subservient. I also read various articles on how it is linked to sterility and other ill health affects.

I would like the choice to not drink it, or take showers in it because our skin the the largest living organism our body has. You would think with all the information out there by now that somebody would say that this is not necessary to ingest into our bodies and other alternatives could be used.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I found numerous sources. I will provide a few for you.
http://douglassreport.com/reports-20...FQ855wodvExdzQ

http://www.greaterthings.com/Lexicon/F/Fluoride.htm

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shamesfluoride.htm
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

I got to run a few errands. I look forward to viewing your responses.
Thanks everyone!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhetruth View Post
I just googled it and found numerous articles that say it was used to make the prisoner's docile and subservient. I also read various articles on how it is linked to sterility and other ill health affects.

I would like the choice to not drink it, or take showers in it because our skin the the largest living organism our body has. You would think with all the information out there by now that somebody would say that this is not necessary to ingest into our bodies and other alternatives could be used.
Could you please link to some of the actual sources that you've found via google?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Here is one more.

http://www.preferrednetwork.com/FLUORIDE_STUPIDITY.htm
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I have a pet blue whale named "Nero." He's the largest organism my body has.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Try well water.

Seriously, if you live in a house with a well and septic system your water may not have any appreciable fluoride in it at all. The Water Police will not show up to force you to put it into your well water, either.

The downside to the well solution, though, is that some well water naturally contains fluoride, sometimes in considerably higher concentrations than that added to municipal water. So you'll need to test your well water. Well, you should do that regularly anyhow, because well do sometimes have problems.

After that, well, you might either need to make your own toothpaste, or find some health food store that sells fluoride-free toothpaste. Then, if you buy bottled water, you may have to worry about whether or not it contains any fluoride (some bottled water comes from municipal sources that have fluoride added, others come from sources that naturally have it). Perhaps you could opt for distilled water, which is chemically pure.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I would like the choice to not drink it, or take showers in it because our skin the the largest living organism our body has.

The good news is that you (and your organisms large and small) are unlikely to live in a WWII concentration camp.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Can you provide a better source for the details on the Nazi experiments with fluoridation? Most searches merely turn up the same repeated claim.

The history of the development of fluoridation is that it was originally noticed that a problem (dental fluorosis) was caused by excessive naturally fluorinated water. But a side effect of the condition was resistance to tooth decay. After further study of what level might help without causing the problem, tests in the US were first carried out in 1945.

Without knowing for certain, my guess is that if this was done under the Nazi regime, it was likely for the reason that the Nazis had no ethical constraints when it came to testing on people they considered of lesser races. So if they were thinking about fluoridation of the German tap water, it would make sense test it out on the Jews first. I should stress that this is only a guess and I have no idea whether they actually did this or not. I'm merely suggesting a plausible reason.

Personally, I think a better list of more reliable sources would help with understanding fluoridation. As for one that's clearly anti-fluoridation but at least makes a tiny effort to reference its claims, see flouridealert.org.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not finding the sources that that site is claiming. For instance, it says:

Quote:
Let's begin at the beginning: The first occurrence of fluoridated drinking water on Earth was found in Germany's Nazi prison camps. The Gestapo had little concern about fluoride's supposed effect on children's teeth; their alleged reason for mass-medicating water with sodium fluoride was to sterilize humans and force the people in their concentration camps into calm submission. (Ref. book: "The Crime and Punishment of I.G. Farben" by Joseph Borkin.)
But my quick look at the book can't find any reference to that at all.

The only places I see this claim are anti-fluoridation sites. So I think I'd like to know first if there are any unbiased sites that can show that the Nazis actually did put fluoride in the water.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well, Papa always said, if you see it on Google, it must be so.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM

I love the way these nut sites always say stuff like "Y is a byproduct of X", in an attempt to make it seem like if you eat Y you're actually eating X!!!111 It shows a complete lack of understanding of chemistry.

What's a nero-toxin, anyway? Poison to rid your home of troublesome Roman emperors?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
What's a nero-toxin, anyway? Poison to rid your home of troublesome Roman emperors?
Have you seen Nero lately? The stuff must work!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I doubt very seriously that they had the Jewish people's teeth in their interest. Since Sodium Fluoride in a Nero-Toxin
So's water.
Quote:
and a waste by product of the manufacture of Aluminum
So's carbon dioxide.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

You want to watch out for Dihydrogen Monoxide too. It is also in the stuff that comes out of your faucets and shower head, and any fluoride that Jews in the concentration camps may have got was definitely adulterated with this stuff too. About 6,500 Americans are killed by it every year.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
I love the way these nut sites always say stuff like "Y is a byproduct of X", in an attempt to make it seem like if you eat Y you're actually eating X!!!111 It shows a complete lack of understanding of chemistry.

Anybody named Nero, in fact. Nero Wolf. Turek's pet blue whale. The late Laura Nyro. Even Nemo the clownfish with the underdeveloped fin .

All of these folks better watch out.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 07-06-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM

I, for one, refuse to bother to refute this nonsense when the OP can't even be bothered to spell correctly or use the correct words to say what he's trying to say.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM

I, for one, welcome our new fluoridating overlords.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
I, for one, refuse to bother to refute this nonsense when the OP can't even be bothered to spell correctly or use the correct words to say what he's trying to say.
I don't know, but I'll bet there wasn't any serious flouridNAZIation going on prior to January, 2009.

-Joe
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
But my quick look at the book can't find any reference to that at all.
I tried searching for any of the relevant terms in the book at Google Books and none of them turned up even a single hit.

This is the sort of claim that gives conspiracy theorists a bad name. Deservedly so, of course.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM

With a username like justhetruth and links to the usual sorts of fearmongering anti-fluoridation nutbar sites, I doubt our intrepid OP is seriously interested in being "enlightened".

Here's a recent extended discussion on water fluoridation which goes into why it's a safe cost-effective means of reducing cavities and provides detailed citations from respected sources as opposed to drooling conspiracy theorists.

By the way, proponents of water fluoridation were not inspired by any Nazi experiments (if such actually took place). They noticed that communities with naturally high levels of fluoride in their water suffered far fewer cavities. Research established a minimum fluoride concentration that prevented cavities while being safe (i.e. not staining teeth).

Gotta wonder why dentists overwhelmingly support fluoridation, when they could make lots more money fixing cavities otherwise. What kind of conspiracy is it when you conspire to forego income?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh my god...Neuro-toxin. Jesus cry babies! My bad. sorry.
I believe if you look up Sodium Flouroide is it listed as a Toxin. Hell even mainstream Time magazine listed it as a NEUROTOXIN, if that's your idea of credible journalism.

So why should you ingest a product like that over your entire life?
To the self righteous intellects, im sorry for the misspelled word. Since your so smart i am sure you didn't have a problem figuring out what i meant.

http://www.fluoridation.com/brain.htm

http://www.neuroassist.com/Neurotoxin.htm
Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM

http://www.nofluoride.com/

http://www.nofluoride.com/

http://www.casociety.org/2010/06/14/...-fluoridation/
Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I believe if you look up Sodium Flouroide is it listed as a Toxin. Hell even mainstream Time magazine listed it as a NEUROTOXIN, if that's your idea of credible journalism.

It's a matter of dose. Drinking too much water can kill you by disrupting your cells' balance of various ions, and yet you risk drinking that daily. Every medication that you ever take can kill you (or make you wish you were dead) if you take too much.

BTW, sodium fluoride isn't in that much use. The CDC did a census and (PDF warning) discovered that only 9% of communities in 1992 used it versus other fluoride-bearing chemicals: http://cdc.gov/fluoridation/pdf/statistics/1992.pdf
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

To the self righteous intellects, im sorry for the misspelled word. Since your so smart i am sure you didn't have a problem figuring out what i meant.
[Moderator Note]

You seem to be much more interested in debating this subject than just obtaining factual answers here. Also, if you are going to claim enough knowledge to debate it, it is incumbent on you to know how to spell words like neurotoxin. And snarking about "self-righteous intellects" when they point out you misspelled a word is out of place in this forum.

If you wish to start a debate about this subject, you may do so in the Great Debates forum. GQ isn't the place for this.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 07-06-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Closed Thread