The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-24-2001, 01:16 PM

Because I'm paying back school loans, I often dream about what I'd do with a large sum of money.

What would you do with $100,000 cash right now, tax free - and you have to spend it; you can't invest it or stick it in the bank?

If I had $100,000 right now, I'd pay back the $86,000 I have in loans. (Ack, that makes me ill to see in black and white.) Then I'd get a new (used) car with the remaining $$.

Then the money I'm using to pay back loans could go to investments and more enjoyment!

I picked $100,000 because you have to think about how you'd split it up.

Tibs.
Advertisements  
Old 01-24-2001, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Easy. Used Schweizer 300CB helicopter. (If you don't know what that is, there's a picture of me landing one on my webpage: Biography/Photo Album)

'Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man.' -- Lu-Tze
Old 01-24-2001, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I see that paying off loans is OK, so I'd probably pay off my car and put the rest on my mortgage.

If I didn't have loans, though, I'd probably use it to buy a bigger and better house, with a kick-ass kitchen. Brick oven, 6 burner professional range, convection ovens, big ol' sinks, granite countertops... yup, that $100K would be gone in no time.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:26 PM

I'd head out to Vegas. (Hey, if it was originally *my* money, I wouldn't have to spend it. So I had to have gotten it from someone else, right?)
Old 01-24-2001, 01:28 PM

No doubt in my mind, itís a down payment on a house. I donít have any school debts, so for me itís an easy decision.
If a house is too investment-y for the OP, Iíd buy a new car/bed/wardrobe, pay off all my debts, my parentís debts, and take a long vacation to Europe this summer.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:32 PM

Pay off my credit cards (which aren't too bad but I'd like to have that monkey off my back, pay off my student loans (which I have 4 more years to go on), pay off my car (which I only have 8 more payments on anyway), help out my recently divorced brother, and put a down payment on a house (houses are relatively cheap here in St. Louis).

Either that or make Crunchy Frog my kept man--I haven't really decided yet.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Pay off house, car, and credit cards.

With the other $50,000, I'm guessing that Mr. Scarlett would be with me on paying someone to finish the house and landscaping the way we want it (he's tired of working on it himself!), then take a long-overdue kick-ass vacation. Australia or someplace.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:43 PM

I wish...

Another vote for down payment on a house...
Old 01-24-2001, 02:03 PM

I would pay off my credit cards, buy a new car and go back to Cancun for a month. That should just about kill 100,000.
Old 01-24-2001, 02:38 PM

1. Loans, Bills, Ect...
2. Fix my van, get wife her Beetle of her dreams.
3. Kick Butt Home Network (Awesome computers, Wireless Networking...)
4. Downpayment on House

Easy
You last visited: 12-28-2003 at 03:01 PM
Old 01-24-2001, 03:18 PM

If I had £100,000 I would do several things.

First I would give my rents half to pay off some of their mortgage, then I would give my brother and sister a few grand each.

Then I would sell my car and move to the US (I am moving later in the year when I can afford it anyway) and prolly use the rest of the money to get set up and put down on a house.

Rick
Old 01-24-2001, 04:00 PM

Buy some old muscle cars (Shelby Mustang GT500 and Plymouth Roadrunner Hemi to start with)
Old 01-24-2001, 04:24 PM

$100K would buy a lovely little sloop. Or, it would make for a down payment on a lovely large sloop.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:26 PM

Hmmmm, $100,000 ... let me see.

Okay, take $8,000 to pay off my student loan and the one big credit card bill (hey, I'm only 28 -- haven't had time to get it TOO big ), then $17,000 as a down payment on a house. I can swing the mortgage that'd go with that, I think.

The other $75,000 I think I'd actually donate back to my school, Virginia Tech. Free football and basketball for me forever! LOL.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:36 PM

House. House, house, house. Little happy house.

Singing lessons. Pottery classes. Some nice furniture.

A couple of pure bred cats, Siamese, Russian Blue...

Some really pretty daggers. A sewing machine.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:38 PM

If I could get my hands on that much cash, I'd move into a nice two bedroom apartment all to myself (use one room as a studio of course), paying the rent well in advance as well as the bills...hm. Then I'd pay off the bills and such on my car and college (ack!) and if I somehow had more, I'd give everyone I know all the cheese they could ever want.

Dang, now I wish I did have that much cash on me.
Old 01-24-2001, 06:32 PM

First, we would pay off our student loans ( I think it's around 30-35K total for me and hubby). Then we'd pay off the rest of the loans. There would be enough left for a reasonably priced new car. The rest would go in the bank for a down payment when we decide to buy a house.

I know, I'm really exciting.
Old 01-24-2001, 07:38 PM

I'd pay off my mortgage, my car loan and my credit card. Then, buy a new computer. Then, new furniture. Finally, spend what was left at the nearest bookstore.
Old 01-24-2001, 08:04 PM
Romney Voldemort supporter

Pay off debts and buy wetlands.
Hey, check the user name.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:15 PM

First things first...

First, buy the best tax/investment attorney I can buy.

After his fee, and the IRS share... divvy the rest between the following.

1/5 Yahoo Stock
1/5 best electric utility I can find to buy into at a good rate
1/5 Red Hat (hey, you gotta live sometime!)
1/5 Coca Cola (balance your risks, eh?)

1/5 down payment on a big nice house in this booming market, so I can get a great low rate on a 30 year mortgage.After all I probably can't stay here 30 years, and I can always sell it later.

Payments I can handle on my usual salary. Vacations I can take on my dividends. :0
Old 01-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Pay all my debts. Offer some money to my friend to pay off his student debt. Donate lots of money to the NDP, Oxfam, Amnesty International, and Greenpeace. Start a foundation for gay kids. Buy myself a few little nice things.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:22 PM

I'd buy an Explorer, put a down payment on a house, and buy a new set of drums.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:34 PM

Hrm. First, pay off the credit cards. That leaves around $89,000...hrm.

I'd probably take some money and travel for a bit...see some Dopers in the US, and go back to the UK for a while. Then take the rest and go back to school.

Damn, I'm exciting. NOT!
Old 01-24-2001, 11:01 PM

Oooh... that would take a nice chunk out of quietgirl's and my tuition.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:17 PM

Pay off my student loans and credit cards= 11,000.
Pay my parents back for the car and other stuff=18,000.

That still leaves me a lot to play with. I like the car I have now, and want to hold on to it for a long time, so I wouldn't go get a new car. I'm not ready to buy a house, but with that kind of money, I could afford to rent something a lot nicer than what I have now. So some of the money would go towards better living conditions.

In all honesty, I would probably plunk down between 5-15,000 for a few plastic surgeries (little ones, like chin and cheek implants, maybe a little lipo).

A trip to Europe.

That would prolly do it...
Old 01-24-2001, 11:30 PM

I'd go to my friends in the film program and say, "Hey, remember that film script I was writing, that we thought would be great but couldn't afford to make? What are you guys doing this summer?"
Ohhh...that would be sweet. I know, a $100,000 isn't a lot of money for a film, but it's a great start. I could work on raising the rest in the meantime, as I finished the script. School might get in the way, but I'd work around it.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Pay off the car, my student loan, and my wife's debts (app. $30,000 total).

After that, I would buy myself a new car (probably spend $20-$30,000), get a new computer and upgrade the ones I have ($5,000), get a decent guitar, amp, and some other music equipment (another $5,000), and spend the rest on a house, maybe a nice doublewide.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Oh, oh, oh,

...I've thought of this thousands of times, and I know exactly what I'd do.

I would grab our passports, and shot books, get the SO, take a cab to the airport, and from there, well, the next flight to the BIG city, then west, further west, and further west till I hit a south pacific beach.

Once at the beach I would carefully consider how to spend the other $95,000. Wisely knowing you always make better decisions with a tan and a belly full of seafood.

But I'd definitely include an Ark, or two from http://www.heifer.com, {sorry I don't do the code thingy}. I love this place.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Hey..

...apparently I do !
Old 01-24-2001, 11:53 PM

Put some money into my house so that it doesn't fall down around me. Then sell it and buy an even crappier house with more land.

Oddly this a rather accurate statement.

hmmmm, when you look at it that way...
Old 01-25-2001, 12:13 AM
BANNED

[No debt here, so...] I'd buy maybe $10,000 worth in gadgets, electronic gear, etc...(stuff I don't really need, but it would be *kewl* to have). Spend another $10,000 professionally cutting an album, of my music, in a studio. And spend the remaining $$$ vacationing around the globe and/or investing in some property.

So where's the dough?!

Sheesh, I was getting excited there for a second!
Old 01-25-2001, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

First I'd do the debt thing.

Then I'd hire someone to clean out my "bird room" (where I keep my equipment).

Then I'd get a blepharectomy (one for each eye).

Then I'd get my apartment painted.

Then I'd fly over to the Antipodes Island to see the parakeets that walk among the penguins. This is something I'd really like to see. Before I go, I'd buy the best pair of Leicas possible plus that Mavica camera that writes to a CD.

With my leftover money, I'd go to the bookstore.
Old 01-25-2001, 01:25 AM

I don't have much debt now, but I will soon, with grad school on the horizon. But since I can't save any of the money...

I'd put money down on a cute little house with a porch swing. I'd order a houseful of nice furniture from a Pottery Barn catalog. And with what's left, I'd invest in a CD jukebox and fill it with a hundred of my favourite CDs. That would make me happy for a good long time, I think.
Old 01-25-2001, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

I'd pay off debt (less than $4,000)
Invest some in some sort of fund for Nicky's college tuition
Buy a new laptop
Put $1,000 each into about 5 favorite charities
Put the rest as a downpayment on a house.
Old 01-25-2001, 07:30 AM

I would pay off existing debt. 26,000
I would by a Nissan Pathfinder 24,000
I would by a home computer 1,000
I would buy a new wardrobe 5,000
I would by a personal watercraft 10,000
I would by Dodger season tickets 6,000
I would blow the rest on a kick-ass Hawaiian vacation!

It is a good analogy, because learning about the real world is a lot like waking up in your own pee/food solution.
Old 01-25-2001, 07:31 AM

Pay off current debt ($5,000)
Downpayment on house ($20,000 - don't put too much into the house unless you're going to be there long enough to get the investment back in equity at the time of sale).
New car ($25,000)
A few furnishings for the new house ($10,000)
Two week trip to Tahiti for two ($5,000)
Make the following investments:
$5,000 - Coca Cola
$5,000 - GE
$5,000 - Star Scientific
$5,000 - United Dominion Realty Trust
$5,000 - Dominion Resources
$5,000 - Triple A Rated U.S. Treasury notes with staggered maturity dates
Some new clothes ($2,000)
Gifts - ($3,000)
Old 01-25-2001, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Spend a week being the highest bidder on ebay!
Old 01-25-2001, 07:55 AM

Based on an exchange rate of $1.5:£1, I'd have £66 667. I'd pay off our mortgage with £41 000. Then I'd take my partner on a cruise of the Southern Ocean, which would cost around £16 000. With the remaining ten grand or so, I'd buy some good audio equipment and either make an extra contribution into my company pension scheme, or make some medium-long term investment for future plans (if I have children, if they want to go to university etc) . Unfortunately, I don't know much about the markets. I'd either have to take professional advice or start boning up quickly, given that we have to spend the money straight away.
Old 01-25-2001, 08:05 AM

No student or car loans to deal with, so all I have to do is worry about the mortgage on our new house. However, since we have a really good rate, I wouldn't waste my money by paying off the loan. I would invest it in a money market CD that is earning an interest rate higher than my mortgage and make a few extra bucks in the process.

Also, an endless stream of strippers and booze.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:18 AM

$US or $AUS?

Hmm, no debts for me... would probably want to buy a new 'puter... maybe a flat near the city, nothing too flash but preferably something I'm going to be able to sell for more than I bought it when I want to get a bigger house... might buy a car, not an expensive one, I've never seen the point in owning a flash car when a cheaper one does the job just as well... pay for driving lessons if I get a car

After that I'd probably give some money to my parents to pay off their houses, maybe some money for my brothers.

Then I'd take a trip to Canada to see what this snow stuff is. Peoples in the US I'd want to see as well. A good holiday to North America in general.

Is that $100,000 yet?

Obsidian Flutterby is my goddess, my virtual wife, and my mistress.

3/5 of LadyRachel's posts have been because of me.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:27 AM

1 A house for a family we are helping out in Malawi
2 at least 10G's on new computers and equal amount for SO
on her choice
3 A few charities
4 Save the rest for our house downpayment
Old 01-25-2001, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

[hijack]Mullinator got me thinking, and based on some very rough calculations, it looks like paying off your mortgage is actually a better financial decision than investing the money, unless you are guaranteed a *really* great return rate.

Some factors:
-Mortgage payments are usually the largest sum of money people pay out monthly. Once the mortgage is killed, all that payment money goes into your pocket instead.
-You can turn around and invest all that extra money.
-The house can now be sold for 100% profit, which (in Canada) is not taxable if it is your primary dwelling. Sell it for more than you paid for it, and you have just made even more profit. All profit made in stocks, bonds, etc. is taxable.
-Based on a $100 000 mortgage at 6% over 25 years, you would save around $91 000 in interest over the life of the mortgage by paying it off at once. Larger mortgage, higher rates, even more savings in interest.
-The mortgage interest saving is guaranteed - no investment you could make that would return better is a sure thing like this.
-Mortgage interest rates can go up at any time. If the mortgage is not paid off, you would still be gambling that you will never encounter a killer rate down the road.

My 0.02 (+ interest).
[/hijack]
Old 01-25-2001, 04:37 PM

no doubt in my mind, buy a 2001 toyota MR2, then a downpayment on a house
Old 01-25-2001, 04:42 PM
BANNED

pay off the MORTGAGE

then i can keep the rent from the tenants.

the greedy, Dal Timgar
Old 01-25-2001, 06:01 PM

Whores and crack, my friends, whores and crack!

But, seriously, pay off & renovate house (with serious kick-ass home theatre (with this kind of money, I use the funky spelling))
Old 01-25-2001, 07:54 PM

I'd buy another 1996 Chevy Impala SS with under 10k miles on it, tweak the engine, put on a supercharger, work on the Intake/headers/exhaust, a 100 shot of nitrous, a set of racing slicks, chrome 20s and tires for them, hydraulics (oh yeah), an all new sound system, GPS, playstation 2, tv, 24 disc cd changer, HID lights, strobes under the car, new side mirrors with turn signal lights, tints, a stashbox, and things to put in said box.

Goddamnit I'm drooling again.
Old 01-25-2001, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Palandine
Either that or make Crunchy Frog my kept man--I haven't really decided yet.
And what exactly is a "kept man"?

And if I do get that money from Palandine, I'd pay off my student loans and the credit cards. As it is, with the exception of my car and student loans, I should be debt free bt the end of the year (I hope!)
Old 01-25-2001, 09:47 PM

Use it as seed money to develop a retreat for people with terminal illnesses--my dream. I would be the resident psychologist and would teach relaxation, do psychotherapy, and lead support groups. I would hire nurses, health educators, yoga teachers, massage therapists, nutritionists, etc. The goal would be to give the clients some time away to cope with their illnesses while getting and giving support to others and to learn skills to use at home.
Old 01-25-2001, 10:04 PM

The first thing I'd do is take me and the Elkwoman on a nice kid-free holiday someplace warm and exotic. With the rest I'd clear the credit cards and finish restoring my TR7. That would leave more than enough to pay the morgage and still invest in some RRSPs. Actually, screw the RRSPs, I'd buy the Elkwoman that Mercedes (1965 230 SL) she's always coveted. Then we'd each have our toy to drive.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:00 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

1) Buy a better house.
2) Go see my Special Secret Doper and sweep her off her feet.