The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 PM

Chlorine and toenail fungus.

For years I've had fungal infections in my toenails. I've even had two removed, but they grew back. Over the last few months I've been going to the pool almost every day and my toenails have never looked better. Now the pool is closed for the summer and I'm worried that my "rotty toes" are going to come back.

I wonder if there is some solution I can make up at home, like bleach and water, to soak my feet in?
Advertisements  
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM

For spas, I've seen 1/4 tsp/gallon recommended. (To disinfect 1 gallon of water for drinking, it's 4 drops per gallon. The standard disinfecting solution for commercial kitchens is 1 tsp per gallon of water, which is way too strong for skin.) The disinfecting components fade away a couple hours after mixing, even though you can still smell the chlorine smell. That stuff is so nasty, though, I wonder if there's something else that might work.

In the People's Pharmacy column in the newspaper, people often recommend slathering Vick's VapoRub and Listerine on toenails to cure them. Google it to see.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
In the People's Pharmacy column in the newspaper, people often recommend slathering Vick's VapoRub and Listerine on toenails to cure them. Google it to see.
Now that you mention it, that rings a bell.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 PM

What about getting a script from your doctor for Lamisil? The pills kill the fungus from the inside vs. treating just the nail.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Lamisil is not for everyone. It has some pretty serious possible side effects too. I wouldn't want to take it. Plus I've heard it can come back, that some people are just more prone to toenail fungus. My SO battles them all the time. I think it might be because he sweats so much out in the heat but refuses to alternate shoes. I bleach his socks and buy new ones frequently but still they come back.

I wonder what happens eventually if you don't treat them. Do they spread to your fingers or up your leg?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I wonder what happens eventually if you don't treat them. Do they spread to your fingers or up your leg?
I'm not sure if it can spread to your fingernails but that is something I really worry about. I have perfect fingernails. When I worked at a bank, clients would regularly ask me about my fingernails. I would be mortified if my lovely fingernails ended up looking like my toenails.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 AM

May I recommend common kitchen white vinegar, applied twice daily with a dropper and allowed to dry (which only takes a couple of minutes)?

I don't know anything about using bleach, I have never tried it. But I did use vinegar, because I read online that fungus can't live in an acid environment. It immediately killed all the fungus on the surface and on the skin around the toenail (it was the large toe on the left foot) - I didn't realize how much was on the surface. Then it started killing the fungus under the nail. Every day a little bit more. It took 5 months for the nail to grow out - at the end I realized that almost the only thing holding the nail on had been the fungus, and I had to wrap it so it wouldn't tear off until I was ready to cut off all the loose part.

The fungus never came back, either.

Roddy
Old 07-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
May I recommend common kitchen white vinegar, applied twice daily with a dropper and allowed to dry (which only takes a couple of minutes)?

I don't know anything about using bleach, I have never tried it. But I did use vinegar, because I read online that fungus can't live in an acid environment. It immediately killed all the fungus on the surface and on the skin around the toenail (it was the large toe on the left foot) - I didn't realize how much was on the surface. Then it started killing the fungus under the nail. Every day a little bit more. It took 5 months for the nail to grow out - at the end I realized that almost the only thing holding the nail on had been the fungus, and I had to wrap it so it wouldn't tear off until I was ready to cut off all the loose part.

The fungus never came back, either.

Roddy
Thank you, I'm going to try this.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I've read this suggestion (Vics) dozens of times, but they never say how long to do it! Are we talking days, weeks, months, forever?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM

My doctor said the prescriptions had too many side effects and suggested that some old times used Mentholatum which I'm guessing is much like VapoRub and that it would take months if it worked at all. I tried it for 3-4 months and got distracted. The fungus spread to other nails.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I've read this suggestion (Vics) dozens of times, but they never say how long to do it! Are we talking days, weeks, months, forever?
Quote:
Google it, which is what anybody answering you would have to do for you.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I had one toenail with a mild case of fungus. Vapo-Rub daily for a few months seemed to stop it cold. That nail still ain't quite right (ref Southernisms' thread), but it's almost normal. Progress against teh infection was obvious after a month or so.

One thing I did was always keep it cut short & whenever I cut it back make sure to apply vapo-rub to the end, trying to work it under the nail where the fungus lives. It's been a couple years now since it was cured and I only use the vapo-rub maybe once every couple months.

The other thing my doc recommended was to keep a separate set of tools for working on infected vs uninfected nails. Separate scissors, separate file, etc. I used a separate file since emery boards are cheap. And I made sure to cut the infected nail last and soak the scissors overnight (or two) in rubbing alchohol so they'd be disinfected for the next use. I never had any spreading problem.

I also alternated shoes daily.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
[...]

I also alternated shoes daily.
Isn't that uncomfortable?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently trying the Vicks cure. I think it is working, but won't know until the nail grows out completely.

Only one toenail was affected, it was thick, crumbly and yellow. I trimmed it back as far as I could (about a third left). I keep it filed thin and apply Vicks daily, then cover with a fingertip bandage.

It takes a long time, I've been at it for almost two months and expect to keep it up for another two or three.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It spreads to your fingers, and then it somehow spreads to your nose and your groin.

Actually, I spent a fair amount of last year working on trail crews, and washing dishes generally involved rinsing in stream or lake water in a tub with a cap full of bleach. My finger nails looked quite good after that, and I would usually splash a little on my face, which helped keep my complexion reasonable when I wouldn't shower for 20+ days.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Google it, which is what anybody answering you would have to do for you.
And as I said, they never tell you how long.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
FWIW, VapoRub worked a treat for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Frankly, the scientific evidence shows that there's no real effective topical treatment thus far. The rate of cure for vaporub is really not statistically significantly better than for a placebo rub.

Systemic lamisil and diflucan (ie the pill form) are about the only things with a really decent track record of knocking out the nail infection. Some studies show sporanox as effective, others show it to not be real helpful.

A nice patient education summary on the topic here: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ungal/663.html

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 07-19-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

I have cured it twice with the Lamisil pills (VERY expensive if you don't have insurance, around $1200 for the three month course) But it always came back. I tried the Vicks vapo rub, but it was such a tedious routine every day that I didn't stick with it. When I went back to the foot doctor a few months ago, he gave me his home-made "recipe" which is simply one part bleach to ten parts water. I just dab it on the nail with a q-tip everyday after I shower, and it seems to be eating the nasty nail slowly and methodically. I now have only about an eighth of an inch of yuck left to grow out, everything else from the cuticle up looks good as new. Next time I trim it should pretty much be all gone.

I know this stuff generates from inside, which is why the pills are most effective, but if you eat away enough of the outside gunk, the topical stuff eventually starts to seep inside where the real battle is fought.

ETA: The best part about curing this is I am wearing sandals in public with no shame for the first time in several years. Its torture to have cute sandals and not be able to show them off!

Last edited by Stillwell Angel; 07-19-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Lamasil can be damaging to your liver and generally a person can't find a physician willing to prescribe it for long enough to do the job. Ideally the prescibing Dr. should be running a periodic liver check if you are using this medicine.

Three months of usage is standard around here and rarely long enough. It takes a large toenail from six to twelve months to completely grow out.

The vaporub has done wonders for several people I know. At bedtime trim the nail down, rub the ointment around all edges of the nail and put on a pair of cotton stockings. Repeat nightly for a week or two and you should see some positive results by then.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethered Kite View Post
At bedtime trim the nail down, rub the ointment around all edges of the nail and put on a pair of cotton stockings. Repeat nightly for a week or two and you should see some positive results by then.
This was a big reason I couldn't stick with the vapo rub. very hard to get the sock on without wiping the vapo off the toe I'd just spent so much time covering, and the fact that I absolutely cannot sleep in socks. I did my routine each morning before I went to work, since I had to wear socks & shoes for at least eight hours anyway.

I do believe vapo works because I was seeing improvement before I gave it up, it was just a bit too tedious and messy for me. My doc even said he had seen some success with it, but his bleach trick takes mere seconds and leaves no mess, smell or greasy vapo socks

Quote:
Three months of usage is standard around here and rarely long enough. It takes a large toenail from six to twelve months to completely grow out.
The three month treatment was always plenty of time to cure mine, it just never lasted. I'd have pretty toenails for about two months and the the dreaded discoloration would appear, and within two months or so I had full blown brown/yellow thick as a wall nails again. (And yeah I DID have to have blood work done to make sure my liver was in good shape)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Frankly, the scientific evidence shows that there's no real effective topical treatment thus far. The rate of cure for vaporub is really not statistically significantly better than for a placebo rub.
Dagnabbit Qadg, just when I was thinking there was some light at the end of the tunnel!

Ah well. Looks like manky nails pretty much indefinitely then. At least it doesn't smell or disable.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

There's really no reason to fear lamisil unless you've underlying liver disease such as a chronic hepatitis infection or persistent liver damage, frankly. It's no biggie to monitor for liver enzyme elevation, and no biggie to stop the med if the elevation becomes significant. Things normalize quickly after discontinuation in the vast, vast majority of cases.

I've seen more problems with liver enzyme elevation on statin drugs and TB drugs, frankly.

So if you hate your funky nails, and your liver isn't at significant risk, I'd say it's reasonable to discuss lamisil treatment with your doc.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 07-19-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM

I wonder if diet could play a part in creating an atmosphere which is welcoming to fungus. I've rarely gotten a satisfactory answer to this. It seems a diet high in carbohydrates could play a part. What do others think?

My feet are healthy and I suspect that one of the reasons is that I also go without shoes whenever I can. And shoes made with man-made materials seem particularly condusive to heat and moisture.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM

I always heard the "there's no cure" line and never wanted to go the lamasil route.
My brother tried some of the cheap over-the-counter fungi-cure stuff for $10 and swore by it. I gave it a shot and it eliminated an infection under my big toenail that had been there almost 10 years in about 2 months.
Reviews of the product are mixed so it apparently doesn't work for everyone but for $10 it's definetly worth a shot.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I wonder if diet could play a part in creating an atmosphere which is welcoming to fungus. I've rarely gotten a satisfactory answer to this. It seems a diet high in carbohydrates could play a part. What do others think?

My feet are healthy and I suspect that one of the reasons is that I also go without shoes whenever I can. And shoes made with man-made materials seem particularly conducive to heat and moisture.
I've dealt with a few different doctors over the years with this issue. From my family physician to 3 different podiatrists, and none of them can give me a clear reason why I am susceptible to this condition. I'm a clean person, I shower daily and wear clean socks/shoes, air my feet when I don't have to wear shoes. I don't frequent public locker rooms, or showers where you might think this thing could get spread around. As far as diet, we eat very healthy around here. Lots of fruit and veggies, and very little packaged or processed foods. It seems to be one of those things you either are susceptible to or not.

Last edited by Stillwell Angel; 07-19-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Lamisil is not for everyone. It has some pretty serious possible side effects too. I wouldn't want to take it. Plus I've heard it can come back, that some people are just more prone to toenail fungus. My SO battles them all the time. I think it might be because he sweats so much out in the heat but refuses to alternate shoes. I bleach his socks and buy new ones frequently but still they come back.
He should try Gold Bond Powder or equivalent in his socks, put powder in before putting foot in. Don't know if it would help with the fungus but will help keep his feet dry. Works for my sweaty feet.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I always heard the "there's no cure" line and never wanted to go the lamasil route.
My brother tried some of the cheap over-the-counter fungi-cure stuff for $10 and swore by it. I gave it a shot and it eliminated an infection under my big toenail that had been there almost 10 years in about 2 months.
Reviews of the product are mixed so it apparently doesn't work for everyone but for $10 it's definetly worth a shot.
What was the name of it? How long did it take to work. I bought something that I haven't gotten around to trying yet and wonder if it's the same thing.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I have tried literally everything. Vinegar, Vinegar plus DMSO, tea tree oil, tea tree oil plus DMSO, bleach, (all of the former for 6 months or more) and even oral Lamisil for 3 months in conjunction with topical Lamisil. Nothing has worked in the long run. The only thing like success I can report is that what used to be the worst nail is now the best. One big toenail was so bad it was all but totally detached all the way back. I removed as much of the nail as I could (there was only a ring of toenail around the edge) and kept Micatin on the nail base until it grew back and the nail reattached and looks better than all the rest. I think they mainly just look better when you keep them filed down from the top and pay them lots of attention. Go back to benign neglect and they just thicken up again.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM

My doc said don't bother with Lamisil so I've been doing brown Listerine plus some OTC nail fungus liquid stuff. It has helped - nail is growing back beautifully, just slow as it is on big toenails. Put the stuff on 2-3 times a day with a Q-tip.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel View Post
This was a big reason I couldn't stick with the vapo rub. very hard to get the sock on without wiping the vapo off the toe I'd just spent so much time covering, and the fact that I absolutely cannot sleep in socks. I did my routine each morning before I went to work, since I had to wear socks & shoes for at least eight hours anyway.
That is why I started using fabric bandaids - designed for fingertip or knuckle. I'm doing this on my second toe, so they fit well. I have used up 3 boxes of 20 so far, they keep the nail covered with Vicks 24 hours a day.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descamisado View Post
What was the name of it? How long did it take to work. I bought something that I haven't gotten around to trying yet and wonder if it's the same thing.
I think the actual name was Fungi-cure. I got it at Target. Little bottle that you brush on like fingernail polish after you jump out of the shower. I'd say it took about 2 months to do the trick. The infection/fungus I had was along the side of the nail so you could trim the dead nail away and get the medication to seep in under the nail. If the infection is really far under the nail I don't know if the medication will reach it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
There's really no reason to fear lamisil unless you've underlying liver disease such as a chronic hepatitis infection or persistent liver damage, frankly. It's no biggie to monitor for liver enzyme elevation, and no biggie to stop the med if the elevation becomes significant. Things normalize quickly after discontinuation in the vast, vast majority of cases.

I've seen more problems with liver enzyme elevation on statin drugs and TB drugs, frankly.

So if you hate your funky nails, and your liver isn't at significant risk, I'd say it's reasonable to discuss lamisil treatment with your doc.
I'll chime in now: I wound up taking Lamisil, with periodic (monthly? I think?) blood tests for my liver. Although they said my levels stayed normal, I can tell you that for a few hours after I took the pill each day, I felt like absolute shit. Seriously, if that's what death by liver failure feels like, then that's a horrible way to go. I finally brought it up with my regular doctor, who pointed out that I was taking the Lamisil at the same time as my regular birth control pills. (I had figured, eh, gotta remember 'em daily anyway, might as well take 'em together.) She suggested taking them at opposite times of day from each other, which helped a great deal. At her suggestion, I also talked to the podiatrist about taking the Lamisil every other day. That helped more.

Eventually, my toenails cleared up. I was also slathering Vapo Rub at night (it was winter so I was sleeping in socks anyway) and occasionally, like while watching a movie or something, would sit and soak my feet in a bowl of straight vinegar for half an hour or so... just for good measure. Now whenever I've taken off my toenail polish, I try to do one or the other or both at least a couple of times before the next polish, in the hopes that I nevereverever have to deal with either the infection or with taking Lamisil ever again.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Now whenever I've taken off my toenail polish
Thats one thing the podiatrist was very firm about, absolutely no more toe nail polish. He said that's a huge factor in a lot of female cases, it smothers the nail and traps the fungus in or something along that line. At any rate, he was so adamant about it that I have been afraid to wear polish since, and so far after this last treatment it hasn't returned.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel View Post
I have cured it twice with the Lamisil pills (VERY expensive if you don't have insurance, around $1200 for the three month course) But it always came back. I tried the Vicks vapo rub, but it was such a tedious routine every day that I didn't stick with it. When I went back to the foot doctor a few months ago, he gave me his home-made "recipe" which is simply one part bleach to ten parts water. I just dab it on the nail with a q-tip everyday after I shower, and it seems to be eating the nasty nail slowly and methodically. I now have only about an eighth of an inch of yuck left to grow out, everything else from the cuticle up looks good as new. Next time I trim it should pretty much be all gone.

I know this stuff generates from inside, which is why the pills are most effective, but if you eat away enough of the outside gunk, the topical stuff eventually starts to seep inside where the real battle is fought.

ETA: The best part about curing this is I am wearing sandals in public with no shame for the first time in several years. Its torture to have cute sandals and not be able to show them off!
How long did it take for the nails to grow out and look healthy? Also, does it need to be applied after you take a shower or can you just apply it dry? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM

If you are Diabetic, you will be highly susceptible to toenail fungal infections. If you are suffering from chronic and/or repeated fungal infections, get tested for Diabetes.

AND if you find you are indeed Diabetic and are placed on oral medication, FORGET the oral Lamisil or any other oral antifungal drugs. They don't play well together in the liver.

Another caveat with taking Lamisil: once you stop, the infection typically returns.

~VOW
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM

I'm gonna try the bleach

I've had the fungus on my big toe for several years. My doctor gave me a course of Lamisil and pronounced me cured because no new fungus was coming in... BUT what was there about halfway out stayed there. I pretty much reconciled myself to thinking I'd have it forever, but over the past couple of months because of an impending hip replacement, I've been doing pool therapy two days a week. I just happened to notice that it seems to be improving. It's a little less dark, and maybe moving outward. I googled "chlorine and toe fungus" and found this thread to see if I was onto something.

I'm gonna try the bleach solution on top of my continuing pool use - I'll post my progress. Color me optimistic!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I think the actual name was Fungi-cure. I got it at Target. Little bottle that you brush on like fingernail polish after you jump out of the shower. I'd say it took about 2 months to do the trick. The infection/fungus I had was along the side of the nail so you could trim the dead nail away and get the medication to seep in under the nail. If the infection is really far under the nail I don't know if the medication will reach it.
I tried this every day for nearly a year. Didn't work for me. I just have one affected nail (2nd toe) and it hasn't spread. I'll have to try the vinegar or bleach treatment. I live in Az and we're in sandals 9 months of the year! I can cover it with polish, but I'd love to find a cure.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM

I've been doing the Vicks daily for 6 months or more. I would say it's helped, I can see good nail along with the bad, but it hasn't cured it by a long shot.

I think I'll try vinegar.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM

I THOUGHT I had toe nail fungus for many years. I finally (can't remember why) went to a podiatrist for it (not a GP), and he said it wasn't fungus -- it was a damaged nail. So all of Pen-lac, vapo-rub, tea tree oil, etc. treatments I had tried for years were pointless. The solution: surgery to have the nail and nail bed removed. No problems with it since.

My point: go see a good podiatrist to CONFIRM that it is actually fungus and not something else before you waste all that time on money on ineffective self-treatments.

J.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey963 View Post
I THOUGHT I had toe nail fungus for many years. I finally (can't remember why) went to a podiatrist for it (not a GP), and he said it wasn't fungus -- it was a damaged nail. So all of Pen-lac, vapo-rub, tea tree oil, etc. treatments I had tried for years were pointless. The solution: surgery to have the nail and nail bed removed. No problems with it since.

My point: go see a good podiatrist to CONFIRM that it is actually fungus and not something else before you waste all that time on money on ineffective self-treatments.

J.
Nail and nail bed removed? So there is nothing there now but skin? (I'm not sure what "nail bed" refers to)

Roddy
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Nail and nail bed removed? So there is nothing there now but skin? (I'm not sure what "nail bed" refers to)Roddy
I just had a fingernail removed a couple of months ago. I think he's referring to the "nail matrix" (that's what my Doc called it); after the diseased nail was gone, the matrix was doused with silver di-something to prevent new nail regeneration. The matrix is under the skin closer to the knuckle; the nail bed (where the visible nail used to be) now looks like smooth skin.

By the way... Lamisil is now available as a generic, at a tiny fraction of the exorbitant former price. I paid $900 for a 6-month Rx twenty years ago; last year the same Rx was about $20.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 03-14-2013 at 09:53 PM..