The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 AM

What makes "True Religion" & "7 for All Mankind" jeans worth $150 to $300?

Re "True Religion" & "7 for All Mankind" jeans. I'm kind of curious as to what the design and construction elements are that make them worth that kind of money. Are they really that fabulous?
Advertisements  
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 AM

There's no question that the prices they attach to 'good jeans' are faintly ridiculous. HOWEVER, there is also no question that all jeans are not equal, and just like any other type of clothing, such as a suit or a coat, a good pair can look dramatically better than something that costs you 50 quid.

The quality of the cloth and the thread, the cut, and the weathering treatments they give all make a difference. For instance, the better quality jeans are worn on the front and back - so the front and back are lighter in colour than the sides - which has the effect of slimming the look of your legs.

Considering the amount of wear the average pair of jeans gets, it really is worth the extra cash. The French judge how much to spend on clothing on how much wear an item will get - so a coat may cost $800 but if you're wearing it every day for six months, then the wear/price value is low, so it's worth it. Same goes for jeans.

Whatever you may think, cheap jeans make you look shit.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
There's no question that the prices they attach to 'good jeans' are faintly ridiculous.

Considering the amount of wear the average pair of jeans gets, it really is worth the extra cash.
Sorry, that sounds like I've totally contradicted myself. What I meant to say is that the 200$ jeans really do look and feel much much better than cheaper alternatives, but I also realise that they overcharge for them. My father is a recently retired clothing manufacturer who is highly critical of the way designer labels con the consumer. He made riding clothes under his own brand and also relabelled for brand such as Burberry, Gucci and Harrods. With a simple label change, these brands charged 2-3 times what my father's own brand charged for the exact same product.

Now, if we could find who actually makes these jeans and get them at a fairer price, then we'd be laughing. Sadly, I think the designer labels have the market sewn (ha!) up, and that's why they can get away with the prices. If someone can recommend a brand that's half the price but just as great, then please tell me. Until then, I will, resentfully, keep handing over $200 a time ( I wear Hudsons, BTW).
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM

I've got one pair of jeans from a similar company and they are the best pair of pants I've ever owned. The cut is perfect. They hang exactly how I want them to when I'm standing or sitting and the material feels much better than any other jeans I've owned. They're also durable. I've had them for 4 and a half years and they have held their shape perfectly. I want a pair of Rock and Republic jeans, but the only places around here that sell them are women's clothing stores.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Whatever you may think, cheap jeans make you look shit.
Spending $300 on a pair of jeans makes you look like you have more money than sense.

I'll keep my Levi's, AND my remaining $250.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Like I said, I spent $170 on a pair of jeans over 4 years ago. I'm already down to $4x a year for that pair and they show no signs of wearing out. My Abercrombie, Hollister, Levi's, etc. jeans might make it to 2 years, but they're beat to hell at that point and stretch and shrink between washes.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM

What makes them worth that much?

The fact that some idiots will pay that much. PT Barnum was right.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Winnipeg View Post
What makes them worth that much?

The fact that some idiots will pay that much. PT Barnum was right.
Basically this. It's a triumph of marketing. I've never seen a pair of $300 jeans that looked 6x better on someone than a $50 pair.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

You should know: I'm a 20 year old male, and the only appeal fashion has to me is in attracting women. And I'm pretty cheap, overall.

I find jeans that look good, and don't cost a mint. I wont pay more than 60 bucks for a really, really good pair of jeans. And that's only if I need a pair right then. I normally have 2-3 extra pair of jeans sitting around, unworn, for when one of my current pair falls down a rung (I have 3-4 rungs of jeans, depending on how worn/durable they are).

The trick is, don't go buying clothing when you need it. Keep an eye out, from time to time stop in a store, and check what they've got. A lot of times, they'll have stuff that fits you when you don't need it, you can pick it up and just work it into your wardrobe when you do need it. Presto change-o, your 300 jeans just cost you 80 bucks, because they're not the fancy pants (Ha!) brand, but they're the same cut.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I received a pair of "7 for All Mankind" jeans as a gift one year. They reminded me of nothing so much as cheap-o off-brand jeans - crappy stitching, and a bizarre fit.

I wore them only on days when I had no intent of going outside, because even though they were allegedly my size, I couldn't avoid plumber butt, even with a belt. This wasn't an issue for very long, as within 2 months the band of denim at the top (to which the belt-loops attached) started to separate from the rest of them, and they went into the bin.

While I can admit that "1" isn't an ideal sample size if you want statistically-significant data, my personal answer to the question posed by the OP remains "Not a damned thing!"
Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I can believe there's a big difference between a $15 pair of jeans and a $75 pair of jeans. That's about the limit to which quality of materials and construction can take you. Beyond that, it's only branding.

Thus, I do not believe there can be a big difference between a $75 pair of jeans and a $300 pair of jeans.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Re "True Religion" & "7 for All Mankind" jeans. I'm kind of curious as to what the design and construction elements are that make them worth that kind of money. Are they really that fabulous?
You're at least 6 years behind the times. You can get them for $30 at Marshalls. Anyway it's just marketing, which is why you can now get True Religion and 7 jeans for so cheap if you know where to shop. Denim aficionados do look for some things like selvedge but it's overwhelmingly marketing and branding.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
Like I said, I spent $170 on a pair of jeans over 4 years ago. I'm already down to $4x a year for that pair and they show no signs of wearing out. My Abercrombie, Hollister, Levi's, etc. jeans might make it to 2 years, but they're beat to hell at that point and stretch and shrink between washes.
Really? I have had Levis last for years. One pair I wore for at least 4 years and handed down to my daughter. However, I have had friends swear to me that expensive jeans are cut better, but I'm too cheap to find out.

Last edited by Acantha; 07-19-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 AM

The fit is better with Citizens which is my jean buying choice these days. But I have owned most labels Desiel, 7s, Paige, RR, TR and generally they all have nice cuts and details to me and they hang better and last longer.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
I received a pair of "7 for All Mankind" jeans as a gift one year. They reminded me of nothing so much as cheap-o off-brand jeans - crappy stitching, and a bizarre fit.

I wore them only on days when I had no intent of going outside, because even though they were allegedly my size, I couldn't avoid plumber butt, even with a belt. This wasn't an issue for very long, as within 2 months the band of denim at the top (to which the belt-loops attached) started to separate from the rest of them, and they went into the bin.

While I can admit that "1" isn't an ideal sample size if you want statistically-significant data, my personal answer to the question posed by the OP remains "Not a damned thing!"
As for crappy stitching, you may have gotten a pair of irregulars (which is what made it to Marshall's 3 years ago). As for the 'bizarre fit', it's called low rise, and it's definitely not for everyone.

A pair of jeans is worth its weight in gold if they look great and feel great. They're worth nothing if they don't. It's a highly individual and subjective thing. I like Sevens, I like Joe's, I like Hudsons. I also like Express, I'm not proud. And I don't like True Religion, they just don't work on me.

As for "they look like you have more money than sense", well, I think the same about the iPhone, but I don't feel the need to get all self-righteous about it. I have no doubt that every single person here spends their money on something that someone else thinks is ridiculous.

Last edited by DianaG; 07-20-2010 at 06:05 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 AM

I really, really don't have a 'jeans' type of figure (read - I have a curvy ass and IMHO jeans look crap on curvy women - great on those with more athletic builds).

Anyhoo - I still like to try to wear jeans once and a while to be fashionable and all that; however, I always said I would NEVER spend mega $$ on them 'cus really, what's the point - they're not going to look good anyway.

Then I was a in a jeans shop and the gal gave me a pair of 7s to try on. Well now. Had I known my ass could look that fabulous in a pair of jeans, I just would have bought the friggin' things years ago and saved myself a crap load of time and effort and angst with crap fitting jeans. Now when I'm shopping I just grab those first to try and save myself hours in the change room - well worth the $180 price tag. My time has value too, and not having to spend it trying to deal with muffin tops and camel toes and all sorts of other crap is worth it.

And of course I have more money than brains, horribly shallow, etc, etc...
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

I've never found a pair of jeans that fit well and look great, because I am short and squat. Every pair I put on has to be hemmed, drastically. I don't even know why I bother, but once in a while I have to wear them and I end up wearing my old pregnancy jeans (!) with the side buttons. Covered up with a longish top, of course. The bottoms of these jeans are in fine shape. ... But now I'm curious about the expensive ones, I'll go try some on to see for myself. If they do look good, I may even splurge and get a few tops that don't cover up my butt.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
You're at least 6 years behind the times. You can get them for $30 at Marshalls. Anyway it's just marketing, which is why you can now get True Religion and 7 jeans for so cheap if you know where to shop. Denim aficionados do look for some things like selvedge but it's overwhelmingly marketing and branding.
Those are active websites for the respective companies I linked to. I'm assuming those are current retail prices even if some are available as remainders or seconds at discount houses.

Last edited by astro; 07-20-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 AM

My brand is Apple Bottoms. I wish they had a classics line, since they're extremely hyper-trendy and so now it's all skinny jeans, skinny jeans and skinny jeans (I prefer bootcut and nice trouser legs). But they're the only dang ones that actually fit my butt, since I have a 15" difference between my waist and my hip measurements.

If I take the effort to, I can find decent pairs at TJ Maxx. Even full price, though, they're worth it (about $70-100).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
I really, really don't have a 'jeans' type of figure (read - I have a curvy ass and IMHO jeans look crap on curvy women - great on those with more athletic builds).

Anyhoo - I still like to try to wear jeans once and a while to be fashionable and all that; however, I always said I would NEVER spend mega $$ on them 'cus really, what's the point - they're not going to look good anyway.

Then I was a in a jeans shop and the gal gave me a pair of 7s to try on. Well now. Had I known my ass could look that fabulous in a pair of jeans, I just would have bought the friggin' things years ago and saved myself a crap load of time and effort and angst with crap fitting jeans. Now when I'm shopping I just grab those first to try and save myself hours in the change room - well worth the $180 price tag. My time has value too, and not having to spend it trying to deal with muffin tops and camel toes and all sorts of other crap is worth it.

And of course I have more money than brains, horribly shallow, etc, etc...
In reading more about these jeans the primary market seems to be mainly adult women with curves (and some gay men) who like the fact that they are quite specifically cut and crafted to make your rear end look good (which is worth something).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Jeezus, those are some hideous jeans. I actually gasped when I opened that website. But then, I rarely pay more than $30 for a pair of jeans (usually Lucky's from TJMaxx), which tend to last me about 4-6 years, so what do I know?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Jeezus, those are some hideous jeans. I actually gasped when I opened that website. But then, I rarely pay more than $30 for a pair of jeans (usually Lucky's from TJMaxx), which tend to last me about 4-6 years, so what do I know?
Heh - those are quite the look!!

FWIW, I tend to go for something a bit more like this:

http://www.7forallmankind.com/DOJO_I.../5/p/3541.html

Ooo -ooo - these are my exact current pair of jeans, actually: http://www.7forallmankind.com/store/...ctid=1096&cs=1

I HAD to by them - they have my name on them and everything!

Last edited by alice_in_wonderland; 07-20-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Heh - those are quite the look!!

FWIW, I tend to go for something a bit more like this:

http://www.7forallmankind.com/DOJO_I.../5/p/3541.html

Ooo -ooo - these are my exact current pair of jeans, actually: http://www.7forallmankind.com/store/...ctid=1096&cs=1

I HAD to by them - they have my name on them and everything!
Those do look nice, they're a style I'd go for, but without actually trying them on I'm not able to see why such a price increase is worth it. The best jeans I've found have been from DKNY, around the $40-50 range. Here is the current pair I own. I also like Abercrombie, though I only buy from then when they have sales. This is another pair I have, that I got for $30 marked down from $80.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM

That's amazing to me, because I've tried both those styles, and they're cut wildly differently. I find that DKNY are total mom jeans, way too high on the waist, pockets up too high on the ass, zipper 37 miles long (on me, your body is doubtless totally different) and Abercrombie are cut way too junior, I couldn't fit my entire ass into a pair of A&F without the waist being so big I could pull them up zipped and buttoned (see previous disclaimer).
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Yah, the DKNY pair seem to be doing a weird crotch thing even on the model, which I hate.

I don't shop at A&F 'cus I'm just entirely too old and would look absurd.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
BANNED

I can wear cheap clothes and look good as I have a really good body. So in that sense, if you're body has imperfections better clothes can hide this.

It's less true today as fashion is worn baggy, at least for men.

Let's face it you can put a gunny sack on Tyra Banks and she's gonna look good. I have had 501 jeans last five years.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM

To be honest, I don't think anything makes the jeans mentioned in the OP worth that much money. There are other jeans, however, that at least somewhat justify the price, although it's mostly in the eye of the beholder.
There is an entire culture of people devoted to denim. They are mostly interested in what's called "raw" or "dry" denim; that is, denim that has not been washed or treated so that it will fade naturally around your thighs, knees, and waist. It's part of a larger trend in retro clothing. Interestingly, most of what's considered the highest quality denim is made by Japanese denim houses that will often make "repros", or reproductions, of old Levis and Lees and Wranglers. They make them on the original looms, using as authentic of rivets and stitchings and patterns as possible, and people pay hundreds of dollars for these. They then wear them for months to years, letting them fade around themselves. Essentially the jeans are wearable collector items.
If you really are curious about the denim, there are boards like Superfuture and styleforum that tend to focus on these things. It's an interesting topic that melds some Americana with fashion with a dash of obsession. I should note that it is mostly a male dominated geekery, probably in large part due a combination of small numbers of items produced, huge disparities in female body shapes, and scarcity of places outside the major cities to try them on before dropping $300+.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
Let's face it you can put a gunny sack on Tyra Banks and she's gonna look good. I have had 501 jeans last five years.
Erm, yah...not so much.

Don't get me wrong - Tyra is a mega fox, but she can wear things that make her look bad, just like everyone else.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 AM

I wonder which is better at suckering people in: "premium" denim brands or La Mer moisturizing cream?

I can find jeans that fit me well almost anywhere; I've tried those brands on before, and I honestly cannot feel that much difference. I think what you are paying for is the feeling you get when you wear them. If people pay a premium to feel good about how they look, or how they think they look, then so be it. Everyone has something that they pay extra for that is worth it to them, but seems ridiculous to others.

Where I am living now, women my age don't really wear jeans as often as women in the US seem to. It's probably considered something more low key, less fashionable, and an item that one would get less mileage out of. So my view on denim is that I think it is something low maintenance, not something I pay $100+ for, have to dry clean, and expect to keep for long periods of wear. And as Markxxx suggested, some people look good in anything they wear. I like to pretend that I am one of those people.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshaw View Post
I can find jeans that fit me well almost anywhere; I've tried those brands on before, and I honestly cannot feel that much difference.
Underline mine, and congratulations. I haven't tried those particular brands, but from what astro and alice said, they might be the kind I need. I buy my jeans in a specific store in my home town because, while brands will vary, the owner's ability to find me Jeans That Fit doesn't. I've found myself in the situation of being in a store where out of 20 pairs of jeans, not a single one fitted properly, even though they were all supposed to be my size. The situation is even worse in the US, as many American manufacturers seem to think that the normal waist/hip ratio for women approaches 1 (I'm at 0.72).

Last edited by Nava; 07-21-2010 at 04:14 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM

The pair of 7-for-all-mankind jeans I got have a nice cut, stretch enough to be comfy while fitting reasonably close, and are encrusted with HUGE HANDFULS of austrian crystals. I found them for under a hundred dollars, but the crystals alone should cost more then that.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Erm, yah...not so much.

Don't get me wrong - Tyra is a mega fox, but she can wear things that make her look bad, just like everyone else.
Those outfits might not be the greatest, but not one of them makes her look bad. In fact, I kind of like the last one.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
Those outfits might not be the greatest, but not one of them makes her look bad. In fact, I kind of like the last one.
Uh, yah. Considering that she usually looks like this I don't think she's going to be winning any hotness prizes for the outfits linked.

Not even the last, Mrs. Roper-esque, caftan one.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

She's hot in any of those things, really. She regularly makes herself unattractive by saying stupid, self-absorbed, and insane things on television, but you'd have to work a lot harder than that to come up with clothes that make her look bad.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Those linked outfits made her look quite a lot fatter than she really is. And if an outfit makes a runway model look fat, it's gonna make me look like Elsie the Tap-Dancing Cow. Dunno know about you, but I'm sure as shit not paying upwards of $100 for Elsie.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, but the claim was that the outfits made Tyra look bad. I think she's hot in all of them. For all I know, you look terrible in any clothes.

Last edited by Acsenray; 07-21-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
And if an outfit makes a runway model look fat, it's gonna make me look like Elsie the Tap-Dancing Cow.
Yeppers - I always know to cross an item off my list if it makes the model wearing it look like a hippo.

Really, I think the point is that compared to what Tyra usually looks like, those outfits make her look bad. She's not a dog in any of them, they're just not pretty.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Anything that is mass produced isn't top of the tree whatever they charge you for it.
The price in that case is simply marketing over gullibility.
People are all sorts of different sizes and shapes so you can't say that product A hangs better then product B or whatever.

People with REAL money and taste buy made to measure, thats why Saville Row suits are respected throughout the world by the people who count.

Those who want to count buy "labels" .

Footballers wives are the living proof that no amount of money can buy you taste and discrimination.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
People are all sorts of different sizes and shapes so you can't say that product A hangs better then product B or whatever.
Well, you can say "it hangs better ON ME, thus making it worth $XX.xx TO ME". Which is a much more reasonable statement than "It's not worth $XX.xx to ANYONE, and if they think it is, they're fooling themselves."
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm narrow hipped with slim legs and to top it off I am very high waisted as well, so most of the designer jeans just don't work for me. I find I have better luck getting a perfect fit in misses sizes at the stores teenagers shop at such as Stitches, the Gap or Le Chateau.

I've been in heaven since the skinny leg jean came back! Every teen store has them for $30 or less.

That being said, I have a pair of designer jeans at a consignment store near my place, and there is a difference in the quality - I just wish the 29 waist jeans didn't have so much room in the hips!

If I could find these & if they have a narrower hip, I'd be in heaven!
http://www.7forallmankind.com/HIGHWA.../4/p/4018.html

I may go to Holt's after work on pay day & see!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There's no question that the prices they attach to 'good jeans' are faintly ridiculous. HOWEVER, there is also no question that all jeans are not equal, and just like any other type of clothing, such as a suit or a coat, a good pair can look dramatically better than something that costs you 50 quid.
I came across this thread while searching for the one about divisibility by seven.

Are 50-quid jeans really that bad? At similar prices in the U.S., we don't expect to get the super hot brand of the moment, but we do normally expect to get something decent in quality and appearance--the kind of jeans that can look good on nearly anyone, as long as they're correctly chosen for fit, style, etc. To guarantee getting really horrible-looking and poorly made jeans we usually have to go a lot lower, like to $30 or even $20.

Are clothes more expensive generally in the UK?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM

If anyone wears Lucky jeans, their outlet stores are fantastic. Jeans $20-50 and they aren't irregulars. I have about fifteen pairs from there.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post

My only question for you is this...do you actually wear (and wash, and treat the same) the $170 jeans as often as you do the "Abercrombie, Hollister, Levi's etc.". In my experience, most people don't. They pay more for for the expensive brand, then say they last longer, but then don't wear them as often the inexpensive ones that get worn 3 times a week.

If you wear the $170 jean twice a month for 4 years, you have (12*2*4=) 96 wearing of them for $170 which come to $1.77 cost per usage. But my Old Navy Jeans that I wear 3 times a week, and last a year (52*3=) 156 wearings, and cost $30, which comes to $0.19 per usage.....

I think I got a better deal
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstockbirdybird View Post
Basically this. It's a triumph of marketing. I've never seen a pair of $300 jeans that looked 6x better on someone than a $50 pair.
Maybe, but you see, to me, if a pair of 120 euro jeans makes me look, say, 10% better than a 50 pair then, presuming I have cash, I am still going the buy the 120 pair. It's not a mathematical equation in the way you describe.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
As for "they look like you have more money than sense", well, I think the same about the iPhone, but I don't feel the need to get all self-righteous about it. I have no doubt that every single person here spends their money on something that someone else thinks is ridiculous.
IPhones, and other smart phones that require data plans do seem extravagant. I thought long and hard before taking the plunge, but I get so much use out of the features on mine that it's worth every penny. I think it's the same with jeans--I like the French system of amortizing the expense over the wearing life of the garment.

Kylede, IME expensive jeans usually stand up to washing and and wearing at least as well as cheap ones. For those who wear jeans most of the time, there's no reason they'd only wear the expensive ones four times a month, unless they're working at the Clorox plant or something. Or otherwise engaging in the type of work wear any jeans would tend to get ripped or stained.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm wearing a pair of 7's right now. They're comfortable and look good.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsinma Belfry View Post
Spending $300 on a pair of jeans makes you look like you have more money than sense.

I'll keep my Levi's, AND my remaining $250.
Amen.

I can get Levi's 501s for around $35 a pair. I like the original style - not pre-washed, and you've got to buy them big enough to allow for shrinking. They last for years. They seem to be pretty much indestructible.

I can't imagine paying $300 for a pair of jeans. Or $200, or $100. Hey, I work for my money. I'm not going to hand it over to some marketer for the privilege of wearing a label.

And, by the way, many fashion brands are owned by just a few companies, who license the rights to use the name to pretty much any Chinese factory that wants to churn out the product.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 02-03-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Amen.

I can get Levi's 501s for around $35 a pair. I like the original style - not pre-washed, and you've got to buy them big enough to allow for shrinking. They last for years. They seem to be pretty much indestructible.
Actually, 501s or sometimes 505s (same thing only with a zipper rather than buttons) were my go-to jeans for a long time. I always liked the fit better with them than with any other brand or style. Until about ten years ago, when they changed the 501 cut quite a bit, along with other features such as size and placement of back pockets. And they started crowing about something they called the "anti-fit" on their website...that was enough for me. I've bought other styles of theirs in the years since, but I was sad to see the 501s change the way they did.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Are 50-quid jeans really that bad? At similar prices in the U.S., we don't expect to get the super hot brand of the moment, but we do normally expect to get something decent in quality and appearance--the kind of jeans that can look good on nearly anyone, as long as they're correctly chosen for fit, style, etc. To guarantee getting really horrible-looking and poorly made jeans we usually have to go a lot lower, like to $30 or even $20.

Are clothes more expensive generally in the UK?
I'd like the answer to this too. I don't remember clothing prices in the UK being that much higher than in the US. Higher, sure, but not to that extent.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I linked to this a few weeks ago, but this article from the New York Times might be relevant. It goes into detail how a pair of khaki slacks from the Band of Outsiders label (Don't worry; I never heard of it either) sells for $550 at Bergdorf Goodman. It adds up the cost of two yards of a cotton "gabardine fabric" (whatever that is) at $27 a yard and four hours of union labor in Brooklyn at $13 per hour to arrive at a wholesale cost of $110. The designer marks this up to $220 and then Bergdorf Goodman marks that up 250% so that explains why you can pay $550 for men's khaki slacks.