Seeking advice on Intel CPU upgrade for PPGA478 socket

I have a Gateway laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 CPU. This CPU is listed by Intel as supported by the PPGA478 socket. I am considering an upgrade and want to figure out the fastest (or at least faster) CPU that will be compatible with the socket. I’ve looked around at Intel specs but don’t see a list all in one place of what CPUs are compatible with a given socket.

How can I find out what my options are?

Just wanted to point out that upgrading the CPU on a laptop is not as trivial as upgrading it on a desktop. And for some models, it’s just no possible at all.

Make sure you look online for instructions from people who have done so successfully on your particular model before you delve into this.

Sometimes the laptop manufacturer will provide upgrade path options. What is the model number?

The model is C-140X. It’s a convertible tablet PC.

It’s not as simple as that. You’ve got to consider other things like how much power a new CPU will consume and how much heat it will generate and whether the laptop will cope with either.

So, I should upgrade everything except the wall outlet then? :smiley:

Relevant thread from another forum from two years ago, asking the same exact question on the same model:

Longish story short, he seems to have successfully upgraded the cpu to a T9300. There’s no saying what happened in the long run tho; as others have said, different power consumption can lead to burned chipsets and such.

Tip: make sure your BIOS is fully upgraded first.

Interesting, thanks. Same model but different CPU.