How do fish survive in salt water?

A question for any ichthyologists among us.

I was curious about how ocean mammals like whales, dolphins, seals, etc. survived in salt water and my research yielded the answer that they extract their water from the food they eat (fish). That’s all well and good, but leads to the question of how do fish survive in salt water? Fish are animals, and being animals I would imagine they would have the same limitations of salt intake as mammals, so how do fish deal with the salt water problem?

They use metabolic energy (ATP) to actively excrete salt through the gills and kidneys

This is interesting. When we left the oceans we caried the seawater with us in the form of our blood. But blood is only one quarter as salty as the sea implying that we left the oceans when the sea was one quarter as salty as it is now.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/vertebratefishevolution.pdf

Hmm…

http://www.seashellsandsuch.com/articles/seawaterlikeblood.php

That shouldn’t be terribly surprising. Saline solution, which is constantly pumped into people in hospitals, is basically just salt water.

I have no qualifications in this subject area but I find this explanation highly speculative at best. One could also argue that the proportions of these minerals are similar in animals because those are the proportions required for these life forms, and the fact that they are similar to the proportions found in the oceans and on land are what made it possible for life to arise. One could also argue that it’s coincidence.

The argument breaks down with the explanation that sea animals had to evolve to excrete the excess salt. If we follow the original argument, what we should be seeing instead is animals evolved have higher concentrations of salt, to reflect their environment.

I note that the referenced paper has no cites whatsoever, nor describes any original research by the author.

Some marine animals (osmoconformers) such as starfish do indeed have the same internal salinity as sea water. However, this makes them very sensitive to changes in salinity, as their tissue cell organelles swell or shrink, and their cell membranes get damaged if the salinity changes. This is why echinoderms are not found in estuaries, or river mouths where fresh and salt water meet and the salinity fluctuates greatly.

In the 1950’s, the Bell Labs produced (using Frank Capra, by the way) a series of hour long tv programs on science. One of them, Hemo The Magnificent, was written around the notion (maybe just receiving currency) that “in the beginning, blood WAS sea water.” While the movie, still available on DVD, is extremely dated in some ways, the explanation of the connection between life on earth and the chemistry of sea water still holds, as does the fabulous, and elegantly simple, animation of the structure and function of the circulatory system. For anyone who teaches and who still has the latitude to show a movie once in a while, this is a must-see for kiddos. Still.

In my 9th grade biology class, the teacher said that salt water fish “pissed like a race horse”. Never heard that turn of phrase before, or since, but it’s stuck with me. I’m guessing the was that they were able to filter out the salt and excrete liquid saltier than they took in.

As fish almost certainly first evolved in the sea, a more pertinent question would be “How do (some) fish survive in fresh water?”

I’ve heard it lots of times but never about a fish…

If I remember some of my college biology courses from long, long ago correctly, njtt is right. The real feat is surviving in fresh water. Freshwater fish have a more advanced ability to regulate their internal salinity that marine organisms do.