The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Ask the Dude Who can Explain David Blaine's Magic.

I have hesitated submitting this thread, for some 6 months now, telling myself that the level of diction, and amount of time involved in explainations required, would be beyond what I could sacrifice and deliver, in order to give it the attention it deserved. (The '58's brakes need a complete rebuild before winter, fantasy football is amongst us, I have 10 days of vacation to use yet this year, hunting season and ginseng season are around the corner, I still don't have Classical Gas down, all the while never seeing a busier year at work than I have in the last 10.)

When it comes to "magicians", I will say they have my 100% focus and attention when they practice their craft. I watched a "cowboy magician" at a steak-house perform all of 5 card-tricks, table-to-table and could not see his "slight". A PRO. Kudos! I have seen "magicians" on TV do so poorly that I began doing the trick myself.

I have to admit that David Blaine(sp) does some crazy shit that could get him laid. He likes to take a "slower-stoner"-personal presentation(crowd control-rule#1-control their focus). That's his chosen method of delivery. This helps those that witness the trick, to "slow down, pay attention, and focus" therein lies the avenue of deception and the mis-direction. Nintey-nine percent of the time, the trick is already done by the time of it's introduction. The focus is on something that has nothing at all to do with the trick. That's why there is always some hot-bitch-with-gigantic-teets-in-a-spandex-outfit on stage in Copperfield's shit, back in the day. BTW, the chick not only knows the trick, she plays a part in it's illusion.

I don't like DB, because of his stance against pot, and until his "heavies" get to the MODS and ADMINS and threaten them with turning them into frogs and shutting this shit down, I will do my best to explain DB's tricks.

His forte seems to be card trickery.

OK. There is a trick he does, it think in Japan with a whole bunch of school-uniformed Japanese chicks. Pick a card any card.....blah blah.
She picks a card the "target" card, and DB "holds" it does some razzel-dazzel, AND BLOWS ON THE CARDS,(physical motion and distraction) meanwhile folding the target with his thumbs. " Is this your card? No." Blows on cards, this action hides him folding the target smaller, "Is this it? No" Crowd notices DB's fake frustration of lack of success. (He is a clunky-obtuse-American, is his chosen method of self-presentation) Blows on cards, folds target card even smaller. Rinse, Lather, and Repeat. Blows on one more time, "Is this your card? No." Japanese chickes giggle at his difficulty. During the last blow, the card was shoved into his mouth. Suddenly, "Oh wait...." You guessed, he pulls the target card from his mouth. Japanese chicks-dressed-in-uniforms-squeel-with-delight. I want that job. I want to roll in a salad of uniformed-Asian-chicks. Sorry, I digress....

DB does a trick with a dollar bill, moving the black Federal Reserve Bank seal on the left-side to the other side of the bill, near the green Treasury seal on the right side of the bill. Like I said 99% of the trick is done by this time. Blah-Blah, the "dollar-pulled-from-the-crowd" is replaced, (with the fake- showing the seals both on one side). When he does the "tug" of the bill in the subject's hand, the bills are already switched, and the "path of the seal actually moving" is hidden, we never see the seal "not-there" or "implanted on his thumb". He only shows the crowd the part of the bill he wants you to see, slowly, to dramasticize the event.

DB does a stint with the Dallas Cowboys, and steals a watch, while performing a card-trick. You'll notice that during the card-trick he grabs the subject's wristI(and watch) and shakes them violently; (removing the watch from his wrist). The card trick is a Magic 101, I forget the exact method on that, because iot is a 2-part trick; the cardshows up in a pocket or some shit, but he does the "Oh, BTW, here is your missing watch". Funny, he lifted it like a Water Street drifter.

Look, I did the rope-cutting trick at work, (the one I gave up to the Limey Board), but was nervous and went too quick, the "magic" of the trick was lost. That, and nobody expected me to walk in and start doing magic tricks.

I have to give "magicians" a nod, because I know how slim the margin for error is, and how much practice it takes. If you have seen a magic trick that I have seen, perhaps I could explain how it is done. If I have the time.

Regards

[SIZE="1"]See, I'm invisible and shit. Get it?[word/SIZE]

Last edited by Super Kapowzler; 08-15-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Anybody can buy a handbook and learn how to do card tricks. How does Blaine do the feats of endurance described on this page?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Suggestions:

1) While you're perfectly free to do drugs so far as I'm concerned, if you're trying to detail something technical, doing so when you aren't drugged up will help others to understand what you're on about.
2) Unless you know someone fairly well, calling them a bitch only says anything about your level of misogyny.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Suggestions:

1) While you're perfectly free to do drugs so far as I'm concerned, if you're trying to detail something technical, doing so when you aren't drugged up will help others to understand what you're on about.
2) Unless you know someone fairly well, calling them a bitch only says anything about your level of misogyny.
Thanks for you're acceptance of my drug use.

If by "misongyny" you mean "I love you", I am flattered.
Wouldn't it be more "magical" if we actually loved eachother.

That's what I'm talkin' bout.

Word.

Last edited by Super Kapowzler; 08-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: I'd bite your tounge ever so lightly. And your shoulder.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's what Sage Rat is talking about...

Last edited by user_hostile; 08-15-2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Gender confusion
Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM

I was going to ask you to explain This trick, but I figured it out the second time I viewed it.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kapowzler View Post

I don't like DB, because of his stance against pot, and until his "heavies" get to the MODS and ADMINS and threaten them with turning them into frogs and shutting this shit down, I will do my best to explain DB's tricks.
This is good stuff. This paragraph has convinced me. I love you, you sexy prestidigitator you. Mesmerist of the gods.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

OK, I've got a question: How does Blaine get people to be impressed by his tricks? OK, he's good at misdirection, but his technical skill at the tricks themselves isn't actually all that great. And a lot of them, what's shown on his TV specials isn't even what the live audience is oohing and aahing over. Anyone can do impressive magic, with a television editing crew.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:

No problem. We have your back. We have our anti-frog cloaks on. We cool.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM

What about that one where he was standing outside a deli or whatever and the card showed up on the other side of the glass?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chitwood View Post
What about that one where he was standing outside a deli or whatever and the card showed up on the other side of the glass?
I also would like to know how that was done.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM

I have a question: what's ginsing season?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I have hesitated submitting this thread, for some 6 months now, telling myself that the level of diction, and amount of time involved in explainations required, would be beyond what I could sacrifice and deliver, in order to give it the attention it deserved. (The '58's brakes need a complete rebuild before winter, fantasy football is amongst us, I have 10 days of vacation to use yet this year, hunting season and ginseng season are around the corner, I still don't have Classical Gas down, all the while never seeing a busier year at work than I have in the last 10.)

When it comes to "magicians", I will say they have my 100% focus and attention when they practice their craft. I watched a "cowboy magician" at a steak-house perform all of 5 card-tricks, table-to-table and could not see his "slight". A PRO. Kudos! I have seen "magicians" on TV do so poorly that I began doing the trick myself.

I have to admit that David Blaine(sp) does some crazy shit that could get him laid. He likes to take a "slower-stoner"-personal presentation(crowd control-rule#1-control their focus). That's his chosen method of delivery. This helps those that witness the trick, to "slow down, pay attention, and focus" therein lies the avenue of deception and the mis-direction. Nintey-nine percent of the time, the trick is already done by the time of it's introduction. The focus is on something that has nothing at all to do with the trick. That's why there is always some hot-bitch-with-gigantic-teets-in-a-spandex-outfit on stage in Copperfield's shit, back in the day. BTW, the chick not only knows the trick, she plays a part in it's illusion.

His forte seems to be card trickery.

OK. There is a trick he does, it think in Japan with a whole bunch of school-uniformed Japanese chicks. Pick a card any card.....blah blah.
She picks a card the "target" card, and DB "holds" it does some razzel-dazzel, AND BLOWS ON THE CARDS,(physical motion and distraction) meanwhile folding the target with his thumbs. " Is this your card? No." Blows on cards, this action hides him folding the target smaller, "Is this it? No" Crowd notices DB's fake frustration of lack of success. (He is a clunky-obtuse-American, is his chosen method of self-presentation) Blows on cards, folds target card even smaller. Rinse, Lather, and Repeat. Blows on one more time, "Is this your card? No." Japanese chickes giggle at his difficulty. During the last blow, the card was shoved into his mouth. Suddenly, "Oh wait...." You guessed, he pulls the target card from his mouth. Japanese chicks-dressed-in-uniforms-squeel-with-delight. I want that job. I want to roll in a salad of uniformed-Asian-chicks. Sorry, I digress....

DB does a trick with a dollar bill, moving the black Federal Reserve Bank seal on the left-side to the other side of the bill, near the green Treasury seal on the right side of the bill. Like I said 99% of the trick is done by this time. Blah-Blah, the "dollar-pulled-from-the-crowd" is replaced, (with the fake- showing the seals both on one side). When he does the "tug" of the bill in the subject's hand, the bills are already switched, and the "path of the seal actually moving" is hidden, we never see the seal "not-there" or "implanted on his thumb". He only shows the crowd the part of the bill he wants you to see, slowly, to dramasticize the event.

DB does a stint with the Dallas Cowboys, and steals a watch, while performing a card-trick. You'll notice that during the card-trick he grabs the subject's wristI(and watch) and shakes them violently; (removing the watch from his wrist). The card trick is a Magic 101, I forget the exact method on that, because iot is a 2-part trick; the cardshows up in a pocket or some shit, but he does the "Oh, BTW, here is your missing watch". Funny, he lifted it like a Water Street drifter.

Look, I did the rope-cutting trick at work, (the one I gave up to the Limey Board), but was nervous and went too quick, the "magic" of the trick was lost. That, and nobody expected me to walk in and start doing magic tricks.

I have to give "magicians" a nod, because I know how slim the margin for error is, and how much practice it takes. If you have seen a magic trick that I have seen, perhaps I could explain how it is done. If I have the time.

Regards

[SIZE="1"]See, I'm invisible and shit. Get it?[word/SIZE]
Were you stoned when you composed this?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, I've got a question: How does Blaine get people to be impressed by his tricks? [...] Anyone can do impressive magic, with a television editing crew.
But, he's the one who thought to do it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chitwood View Post
Yep, start with this one. I'm curious.

He's better than Chriss Angel, isn't he?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He's better than Chriss Angel, isn't he?
That's what one calls "damning with faint praise".
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan

If it's so easy to do this stuff, why are Blaine and Angel making big bucks doing it?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
BANNED

I want to know how he does the bite the quarter in half one.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM

The "card on the other side of the glass" on is so simple you'll wonder why you didn't think of it.

The card is already there. He forces you to pick the card he wants, and while you're looking at him doing his misdirection with the cards, an assistant puts it up to the glass. He then throws the cards so fast without warning that you don't have time to notice that there was already a card there when they all hit the glass.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 PM

For anyone mesmerized by any trick involving picking a card.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

That and other rigged decks are one way to do the "pick a card" trick, but there are many others, several of which can be done with an honest deck. I can probably think of a dozen different ways to do it just off the top of my head, and I haven't done magic since I was about eight. In fact, it's somewhat emblematic of the way magic tricks work that there are so many different "pick a card" tricks, but the audience remembers them all as the same trick.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 PM

I'm just here to say that even though people seem to hate him a lot, I find him to be blindingly hot. He's not classically handsome, but I find him supah sexy.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBertha View Post
Simple. He uses a folding quarter.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 AM

I'm afraid you are mistaken about all of your assertions, postulations, hypotheses and declarations, Super Kapowzler.

It's common knowledge that David Blaine's antics are real magic, dude.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

So, how does he do this one?

(note: I'm aware it's a parody, I just think it's funny, especially the "intense stare into the camera" after the trick. Favorite part: "Take out your driver's license. How tall are you?" "Five foot ace of clubs -- WHAT THE F!!")
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Funny! "Stop putting shit on us!" "Stop putting shit on our bodies, David Blane!"
Old 08-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
The "card on the other side of the glass" on is so simple you'll wonder why you didn't think of it.

The card is already there. He forces you to pick the card he wants, and while you're looking at him doing his misdirection with the cards, an assistant puts it up to the glass. He then throws the cards so fast without warning that you don't have time to notice that there was already a card there when they all hit the glass.
And that works with the people who are there in real time? Ah, fuck magic then.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 AM

Explain the trick he did with the emergency worker where he twisted his hand and wrist around while the emergency worker tried the same.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 AM

It's not just about the tricks and how it is done, but stage presence, delivery, timing, ability to manipulate the crowds and suspense.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
It's not just about the tricks and how it is done, but stage presence, delivery, timing, ability to manipulate the crowds and suspense.
All of the above, and getting a TV company to sink in lots of money to make a show about you and your tricks, and then having a network air the show.

I will believe that it is easy when that is the opinion of someone who has done it.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, he's good at misdirection, but his technical skill at the tricks themselves isn't actually all that great.
This doesn't make sense (misdirection is part of a performer's technical skill, not something distinct from it) and Blaine's is a very technically skilled magician. In his chosen field, close-up street magic, he can hold his own with the best in the world. If you have any doubts about this, may I suggest you try to learn some magic and go out and perform it on the streets (good luck with that). This may inform your judgment about the difficulty involved. I can count most of the best, most technically adept magicians in the world among my friends, and I can tell you that the great majority hold Blaine in high regard, both for what he does and the way he does it.

That having been said, technical ability is never the whole story. Blaine is also admired for the impact he has had on close-up and street magic, and for achieving success with what is very much his own style. When he first came along, his approach to close-up was a very creative and radical departure from what had gone before.

Quote:
And a lot of them, what's shown on his TV specials isn't even what the live audience is oohing and aahing over. Anyone can do impressive magic, with a television editing crew.
You're right about this, and it's a source of great controversy within the magic world. That having been said, remember that TV shows are the work of many people. The performer is just the guy in front of the camera. There are producers, assistant producers, directors, network executives... all with their own agenda and their own sense of what is 'legitimate'. Sometimes, just sometimes, a performer has very little choice except to go along with the way a producer wants to do something, 'because it will look good and get ratings'. Though it may be hard to believe, pureness, honesty and integrity are not always the guiding principles of network TV producers whose bosses are screaming at them from on high to deliver secure higher ratings in case advertisers walk away.

All that having been said, Blaine was performing magic in real life, and on the streets, a long time before TV discovered him. He hasn't always had the option of clever TV editing. In real life, given a bunch of people on a street corner, he can and does perform incredible magic, combining great artistry, originality and technical skill.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM

This makes me want to start a "Ask the guy who won't answer your questions" thread.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM

ianzin, your entire post is pretty awesome. Do you do magic as well, or do you just know a lot of magic folks?

Also, if your friends know David Blaine then be a pal and get a sister an introduction!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
BANNED

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/416830..._how_to_do_it/ Balducci levitation explained. His tricks are on the net .
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
There is no such thing. Now, there's a ginseng season, is that maybe what you mean?

My uncle did a trick many years ago, where he would pull a coin (typically a quarter) out of my ear! On careful examination after the trick, it sure appeared to be a normal coin. On more than one occasion, he and I were the only ones present, so an assistant was unlikely. Any thoughts on how he pulled off this feat of prestidigitation?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Ask the Dude who Smoked Waaaaay To Much Pot Last Night, and Secretly has a Celebrity Crush on David Blaine, but is Afraid of Catching a Ghey.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Quote:
There is no such thing. Now, there's a ginseng season, is that maybe what you mean?

My uncle did a trick many years ago, where he would pull a coin (typically a quarter) out of my ear! On careful examination after the trick, it sure appeared to be a normal coin. On more than one occasion, he and I were the only ones present, so an assistant was unlikely. Any thoughts on how he pulled off this feat of prestidigitation?
To answer PlainJain, many states restrict the collecting of wild ginseng plants to a certain time period. Some also require the harvester plant seeds at the site of harvest.

Now back to majick.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I used to do this trick as a kid except that I would tape the card to the celling. You could perform the entire trick and no one would notice the card already there on the ceiling.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Ask the Dude who Smoked Waaaaay To Much Pot Last Night, and Secretly has a Celebrity Crush on David Blaine, but is Afraid of Catching a Ghey.
You forgot "And Shit."
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
BANNED

How does Blaine do the trick where he approcahes a couple of beer drinkers in a park, picks up an empty can, does a little hocus pocus hand motion and suddenly it's a full can? How does he do the switch?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps With Butterflies View Post
ianzin, your entire post is pretty awesome. Do you do magic as well, or do you just know a lot of magic folks?
He has a webpage in his profile that explains his qualifications . He is indeed the SDMB resident expert on things relating to stage magic, among other things.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps With Butterflies View Post
He has a webpage in his profile that explains his qualifications . He is indeed the SDMB resident expert on things relating to stage magic, among other things.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'm off to take a peek.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

A dude that would answer would be better.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveMike View Post
Quote:
I used to do this trick as a kid except that I would tape the card to the celling. You could perform the entire trick and no one would notice the card already there on the ceiling.
I did it the safer way: I got the chosen card to the top of the deck, stuck a piece of gum on it, and then threw the entire deck either at the wall or ceiling. The top card would stick, every other one would fall down.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Obviously the answer man of this thread already did a disappearing act so I'll just ask anyone and get the prevailing theories on this one trick of his I could never figure out. In the trick he gets a card inside a cop's shoe. How the hell does that work? He has the cop pick a card then when he can't find it in the deck he has the cop (reluctantly) take off his show and it's in there.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Quote:
Ooooh, I thought he misspelled it. I was referring to the practice of drinking too much gin at the karaoke bar. I was just wondering when the 'season' was.

Quote:
bouv:

More impressive was the Criss Angel version at a Vegas casino where the card appeared imbedded in the glass door. I had it on demand and watched it over and over and still have no idea how he pulled that off. There were people on both sides of the glass door the whole time.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Harley View Post
Explain the trick he did with the emergency worker where he twisted his hand and wrist around while the emergency worker tried the same.
Here ya go.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM

YouTube of the card in door trick.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBertha View Post
That's simply a rigged quarter that you can get from a good magic shop.

Quote:

From what I understand, having looked up his tricks in the past (though still can't find an explanation for the card in the shoe trick), he doesn't force the person to pick the card he wants he just deftly shows the card to his assistant on the other side of the glass who has a duplicate deck. That person then attaches the duplicate card to the glass with magician's wax or something similar and walks away.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
That's damn neat. No idea how that works.