JK Rowling's writing style

I am going through the Harry Potter series again, and I raced through the first 4 books in the series. However, when I got to the 5th book, I’m having a hard time getting through some of her scenes. Did anybody else notice a distinct change in her writing style? What do you think caused it?

My impression is that she had a gift for juggling multiple adolescent characters in a school setting while keeping adults two dimensional. However, starting with the 5th book, where she started to deal with adult themes and adult characters, she wasn’t nearly as effective. It also seems like she was under undue pressure to do things differently, but I think she could have been even more successful if she stuck to her formula: Harry at the Dursleys, Harry in school, Harry overcoming the latest plot by Voldemort, and Dumbledore with the denouement.

She’s really bad at plotting things. Really bad. Actually, she was pretty good at first. But by the 4th book, she started to go off the rails not thinking about the implications of what she’d put in. basically, you can’t dump all of that magic and not give characters (who have a plausible reason to use it) a chance to chuckl it around. Ity got harder and harder to suspend disbelief when she started tossing constant streams of deus ex machinas, belated plot points which should have been introduced books earlier, and uninteresting characters to fill space.

This started in the 4th book, and it began overrunning everything else along with teen angst. And while I can tolerate a certain level of it, these were some of the whiniest teens ever. They’ve got magic, a kickass castle, lots of cool friends. In order to make the angst “work”, Rowling basically chucked in apathetic and incredibly stupid adults to make everything worse.

Well, the 5th book is the wordiest and in some parts, the worst written.

I think having Harry be angry like a teenage boy really affects the whole book’s tone. Still a wonderful book, but it was a bit odd.

Now 6 and 7 are a return to the form of the first ones.

The angst never bothered me, since they are after all teenagers. It would have been a complete violation of verisimilitude if they weren’t angsty. And I think the fifth book was actually my favorite, due, I think, to seeing Harry as a teacher, and realizing just how much he’d learned.

Now, the seventh, that’s the one I thought weakest, though that might just be because in all of the previous books, when plot threads were left unresolved, we could always think “maybe next book”. On the other hand, though, the loss of Hogwarts as a venue didn’t help, either.

After the first million sales, willful authors don’t have to be edited anymore, no matter how awful they are.

The fifth book is generally the worst. The seventh is pretty good and the sixth is the best IMO.

THe change over that you see is due to the evolution from a childrens story that adults would enjoy to what was definatly a book meant for older teenagers at the minimum. Would you give a seven year old the seventh book? I think not.

Looking at my bookshelf, each one kept getting thicker as the series went on :smiley:

I didn’t notice a real change in the 5th book. I think I had a little trouble following some of the action in the MoM at the end, and I found the Occlumency/abandoned by Dumbledore subplot to be annoying, but otherwise it felt like a bit of a peak of quality in the series.

Whereas #6 seem to consist entirely of Harry watching Tom Riddle memories. And #7 seems to consist largely of wandering aimlessly in the woods and extremely tortured copyright metaphors.

The 7th book gave me flashbacks to Tolkien where the two hobbits are riding/being carried for hundreds of pages…I was predicting that Harry/Hermoine would get out of the forest by roughly the 50% point in the book.

Yeah, agreeing with some of the others. The writing style didn’t really change, but Harry’s descent into eye roll-inducing angst was enough to color the story.

Yup. It happens to nearly every writer.

Howcum nobody edited the early Twilight books then? :smiley:

I suspect the later books got even worse, but I’m not going to put myself through the torture of finding out.

IMO the first four books are adventures written in the style of detective stories. Rather then whodunnits, they’re ‘Who is the hidden villain?’ Book 5 is a major shift, not only with Harry passing puberty, but the primary villain, Umbridge, is right out in the open

It’s too easy to criticize Harry Potter books. You try and write a pitch-perfect modernization of the English children’s adventure story. To my mind, Rowling’s take on the genre is a million times more sophisticated than the Enid Blytons and Malcolm Savilles she’s following.

But, having said that, there are points where the strains of creating an ambitious seven book story-arc begin to show. I think the biggest problem is that, because the series is basically about Harry Potter growing up, he’s not allowed to be an adult until right at the end. I think that’s probably a source for a lot of annoyance. There are times where he is less of a character, because his development is deliberately held back.

I also feel that people who don’t like the books don’t understand them because they miss the irony in them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen another series of “children’s books” so dripping with irony – some of it being quite subversive. It’s no accident that one of the most thoroughly evil characters in the series wears pink cardigans and works for the ministry of magic (who are supposed to be the good guys). Just stop and think about that for a moment.

But of course, the principle irony introduced right at the beginning of the series and maintained throughout concerns Harry Potter himself. Right from the start, the wizarding world treats him as some kind of freakish superhero, capable of almost anything. In reality, he’s just a slightly dimmer than average kid, who never knows what’s going on and who’s never once in control of his own destiny. If you’re attributing some of his behavior to “annoying teenage angst”, I think you’re missing great chunks of sub-text. What I saw in those scenes was Harry growing in the realization that he’s been nothing than a puppet on a string.

Harry’s inability to act of his own volition leads up to the first part of Deathly Hallows. With Dumbledore out of the picture, he finally strikes out on his own (something he’s threatened to do several times throughout the series). But of course, it quickly becomes apparent that he really doesn’t have the first idea of what to do. Everything he tries comes to nothing. It’s only when he returns to the path Dumbledore’s laid out for him that things get resolved.

That’s a fairly sophisticated line to be taking in a children’s book. And I imagine quite a lot of Rowling’s target audience related to Harry’s dilemma. Young teenagers also live in world where their lives are completely controlled by adults, not all of whom have the best of intentions. Quite a few of teenagers, I imagine, find themselves trying to live up to adult expectations that are completely over their heads.

Which brings me to the way adults are depicted in the series. I don’t think that was badly done at all. I’d be willing to bet that Rowling’s target audience recognized each and every one of those characters from actual teachers in their own schools. Heck, I haven’t been near a school in twenty years, but I still remember all the McGonagalls, Snapes, and Trelawnys who were around back in my day. I’ve run across way too many Umbridges too. And remember, Rowling actually worked in the school system.

Plot holes? I don’t see a lot. I know some people complain about Rowling pulling wand-lore out of her butt at the end. But it was always the nature of the series that each new book would deal with a fresh bit of wizarding-world lore. It not really Rowling’s fault that all the ridiculous speculation about the last book created an expectation that it would be pieced together from all the existing bits like a jigsaw puzzle.

Finally, although no one’s done it in this thread (because your an intelligent and sophisticated bunch), I have heard Rowling criticized for her grammar and usage in the Harry Potter books. I always found that absurd. Why would an English writer with an English publisher writing for an English audience adopt the American vernacular?

I hear this a lot, but I’d really like an authoritative cite. Is it really true that new authors’ manuscripts are subject to editorial revision but successful authors’ aren’t, no matter how much they may need it?

Well, I guess it could just be coincidence, but later books tend to be a lot longer and tend to have more errors of the kind that are usually picked up in an edit, such as run-on sentences, poor punctuation and paragraphs so long you forget which book you’re reading.

There are several authors I want to tie to a chair until they understand how to use a semicolon.

The novels of Tom Clancy? :wink:

Take a look at almost any successful series on your bookshelf. Generally speaking the first one is going to be the slimmest spine and be the most tightly written. George R. R. Martin, I’m talking to you. I KNOW that when I look at a shelf full of books that get fatter as they get righter, that it’s not going to be because they need that much more space. It’s going to be that they’re going to be more self indulgent as the series rolls along.

Beat me to it. Though it was only after Executive Orders that he decided he could do without.

Kim: Interesting commentary. I hope her work rises in literary criticism, but it’s very rare for a book classified as a “children’s book” (I had to go to the section of Barnes and Nobles with the shin-high chairs to get it) to be taken seriously. :frowning: She really does some great stuff and shows flashes of brilliance, but I think the double-knock of being both a children’s book and fantasy throw her out of the competition. I would personally like to see the Lemony Snicket books studied as well, but there’s really no chance of it being done either.

I find large stretches of her book nearly impossible understand, mostly thanks to 'Agrid (and now Tonks…"Wotcher, 'Arry? What the hell is “wotcher?”) But, it’s a well-known literary convention so I give her a pass on the grammar. I’ve found Mark Twain’s use is far more difficult than Rowlings.

On a side note, I’m about half way through the 6th book, and I must say the Pensieve is a wonderful writing device. Does anybody know of something similar for relating past events that was nearly as elegant? Getting to the past memories is so quick, the memory is perfectly clear, the point of view is already set, and there’s no need for a long-drawn out exit story.