The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
BANNED

300 Million Americans Being Poisoned By Design By Government and Big Pharma

Check out this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeU6I2qOY3k

In the USA prescription drugs are soooooo easy to get. They aren't even doctors anymore they are just drug dealers with a degree. So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.
Advertisements  
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You do realize that there is more to the internet than long and rambling YouTube videos, right?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Eeee gods...another 'check out this video!' "debate".

Instead of having us slog through another worthless YouTube video, could you, perhaps, summarize what you think are the important points and then couch your 'debate' in the form of a question??

-XT

Last edited by XT; 08-26-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM

What's wrong with drugs? Life is full of miseries and discomforts, we have the power to abate at least some of these, so why shouldn't we?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmckie View Post

In the USA prescription drugs are soooooo easy to get. They aren't even doctors anymore they are just drug dealers with a degree. So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.
Do you have a connection to Alex Jones? You've started two threads so far linking to his YouTube videos.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, dear. This issue has me terribly upset. I hope my docter can prescribe something to calm me down.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I refuse on principle to watch any video with Lindsay Lohan in the title.

Unless it also contains the words "nude' and "Jell-O wrestling".

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Here was the other fascinating 'watch this video' "debate", if anyone is interested.

Out of curiosity (since I doubt the OP will be back to expand on his first monumental post), is this sort of thing the norm on other message boards? Just a drive by with a link to YouTube and a breathless 'you really need to watch this!' and some crypto-babble as the sole debate? Or it it only here we get drive by nutters who do this?

-XT
Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Quote:

Do you have a connection to Alex Jones? You've started two threads so far linking to his YouTube videos.
Just a big fan who likes to post his important viral videos and get people's views on it.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just a big fan who likes to post his important viral videos and get people's views on it.
But that isn't what this forum is about. Why don't you tell us what the video is about, and your opinion about it?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They suck. They are poorly made and edited, and they aren't even good as fiction.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Alex Jones is a delusional, one-man freak show with the credibility of an evangelical preacher snorting coke off of the ass of his male prostitute. Ooops, sorry, make that crank not coke.

The only people who believe his shit are the ones too lazy and stupid to make any effor to get the straight dope for themselves.

You fail and your thread fails.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How much of this message board did you read before you decided it would be a great place to promote your "viral videos"?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
People's views on what? That Lindsey Lohan has been subjected to excessive doses of psychoactive chemicals? I don't think that's particularly controversial.

Again, just sum up briefly exactly what you want to debate, and a few of the more cogent reasons why you believe whatever-it-is.

Regards,
Shodan

Last edited by Shodan; 08-26-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
BANNED

I said this in the OP- So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.

And my view is pharmaceutical companies just see people as a way to make money and could care less if their drug does more harm than good.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I said this in the OP- So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.

And my view is pharmaceutical companies just see people as a way to make money and could care less if their drug does more harm than good.
Interesting. What studies lead you to believe this?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I'd say you are guilty of the fallacy of the false dichotomy.

Quote:
Certainly they are out to make money, but that attitude is a gross oversimplification at best.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmckie
So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.
Ooh - a dilemma!

But I am too clever for you - I suggest that the real problem is that some people are hogging all the good drugs, and leaving none for the rest!

Not naming any names, mind you.

Regards,
Shodan

It's Czarcasm.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I said this in the OP- So anyway do you agree with the thread title?
That 300 Million Americans (are) Being Poisoned By Design By Government and Big Pharma? Leaving aside the whole 'well, depends on your definition of what 'poison' is, I suppose', I'll just say...no. It's a ludicrous idea that only a nutter would put forth as a serious argument. Unless 'poison' somehow increases life expectency or has some other non-standard definition...

Quote:
Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.
I'd have to see an actual list of things they were supposed to have done, and the documentation proving that, across the board, the entire industry is grossly incompetent. You have, thus far, provided exactly zero evidence. A nutty YouTube video constitutes nothing.

Quote:
Sure...but your view is seemingly based on you watching a YouTube video, since you have thus far provided no corroborating evidence or even a logical argument beyond 'watch this video' and 'my view is pharmaceutical companies just see people as a way to make money and could care less if their drug does more harm than good'. To give you an example, if the guy who mows the law tells me that all of physics is a load of horse crap, and that cosmology is completely wrong, and what REALLY happened is that the entire universe is made of green cheese, and he's seen it on YouTube ('And man, you REALLY need to watch THIS link!!'), then I'm not going to exactly be bowled over by the weight of his argument, ehe?

-XT

Last edited by XT; 08-26-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
So anyway do you agree with the thread title? Or do you think doctors/pharmaceutical companies/government are innocent of anything evil and are just grossly incompetent.
Are "They are all innocent of everything evil!" , "They are all Guilty!" and "They are all grossly incompetent!" the only choices that come to mind?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM

I took one for the team and watched the whole thing.

Hooo boy what a complete set of misinformed drivel I don't know where to start.

Drug side effects

There is so much misinformation in that piece I don't know where to start. Drugs are not perfect and may in some cases have side effects. If you have such side effects when taking a given drug you should stop taking it if the side effects are worse than the disease the drugs are meant to help. Still I much prefer medical science today than it was 100 years ago where we were all dying of typhoid. Drug companies are required to indicate any health issue that was more prevalent in the treated group versus the untreated group, even if the difference is likely to be totally by chance. If you pause the tape you will note that the proported Hallucinogenic effects of ritilin occurred in 3/4000 of the children with the recommendation that if such symptoms are observed to stop treatment. Other cites shown seemed to be equally dubious.

Anti-floridation!!??

Didn't this go out of style in the 60's after Dr. Strangelove came out. "The commies are contaminating our precious bodily fluids"

Anti-Vax

This has been done to death here search other threads. Strong consensus the contriversy is BS.

Depleated Unranium

Also done in other threads. I'm not informed enough to comment

Government secret plan to sterilize humanity

Haven't heard that one, but will need more than Alex Jones' word to believe it.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 08-26-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM

I don't need drugs, I'm hung-over on life.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 PM

I'd love a drinking game that involved thread titles and join dates.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM

If it's Alex Jones, then whatever the problem is, it must be the fault of liberals. And the UN.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 PM

So...300 million out of 310 million people in the US are being poisoned by drugs? In order to believe this you'd have to think that virtually everyone in the country, right down to tiny babies, is on some sort of prescription drug, and that they are all poisonous. Hmm... logic fail.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Perscription drug abuse is a problem in the US.

Alex Jones batcrap drooling insanity,lies and hysterics is not even remotely part of the solution.

Get off the infowars.com and get back to a real life.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Accept no substitutes

We're pretty convinced about what's going on here. Y'all enjoy for a little longer but not much longer.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

You're one of Them, aren't you?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I took one for the team and watched the whole thing.
Thank you! Your "I took a bullet for the SDMB" plaque is in the mail.

Or at least it would be if we had "I took a bullet for the SDMB" plaques. And if we knew where to send it.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Hi Stinky how ya doin!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
We're pretty convinced about what's going on here. Y'all enjoy for a little longer but not much longer.
Meanie.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Hmmm did they run this past the GAO? Can't help but feel it would affect tax revenues somewhat.

Neither Alex Jones or aaronmckie are in charge of any squadrons of nuclear armed B52s are they ?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

If the government and pharmaceutical companies are deliberately trying to poison us, they're doing a piss-poor job. I mean, it's not even like we haven't had examples of how to do it. Here's a hint: Poisoning people does not usually go hand in hand with folks routinely living into their 80s.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin1977 View Post
Quote:

Hmmm did they run this past the GAO? Can't help but feel it would affect tax revenues somewhat.

Neither Alex Jones or aaronmckie are in charge of any squadrons of nuclear armed B52s are they ?
Women sense his power, and they seek the life essense.

He does not avoid women. But he does deny them his essence.

In Good Health Thru the Purity of Essence of Our Precious Bodily Fluids.
Shodan
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If the government and pharmaceutical companies are deliberately trying to poison us, they're doing a piss-poor job. I mean, it's not even like we haven't had examples of how to do it. Here's a hint: Poisoning people does not usually go hand in hand with folks routinely living into their 80s.
Bah, all Right Thinking people know that the government is responsible for everything wrong in the world. What you are ignoring is the obvious fact that people are living into their 80s because that's when the poison kills them. Without government poisoning, we'd all be living for centuries just like the ancients in the Bible did! As government power increased over the years and their poisoning became more sophisticated, the human lifespan shrunk and shrunk until it was maybe 40-50. Only with the rise of the American commitment to God, Liberty and Free Market Capitalism has the power of government been beaten back until we have regained a few paltry decades of our natural lifespan.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 08-26-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Damn, the OP was banned. I was really starting to like him.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Hooo boy what a complete set of misinformed drivel I don't know where to start.
I am shocked--SHOCKED!--to hear that a post with such an eloquent title turns into drivel.

Quote:
Assuming that you interpreted the screed correctly (and I have no reason to doubt you) this is insane even by the standards of insanity. If everybody because sterile who would the secret government be able to govern? What's the point of being the center of a sooper-secret, sooper-powerful government if there are no minions to rule over?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg
What's the point of being the center of a sooper-secret, sooper-powerful government if there are no minions to rule over?
*Psst!* One word...Lizard Overlords...

(Ok, that was two words, but who's counting? Who is counting?? Damn, don't count me! No...I'm not with those 'dopers. I'm just....)

-XT
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Oh my god! What were the odds this was going to be an OP from someone with a join date of August 2010?

Did someone forget to lock the door to the nuthouse, or is RandRonRuPaul somehow losing control over their minions?

-Joe
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
Assuming that you interpreted the screed correctly (and I have no reason to doubt you) this is insane even by the standards of insanity. If everybody because sterile who would the secret government be able to govern? What's the point of being the center of a sooper-secret, sooper-powerful government if there are no minions to rule over?
Well, they're only killing americans (according to the thread title; I did not take one for the team) so perhaps they're furriners looking to eliminate the force of justice and rightitude that is Republican democracy? They're probably socialists or Jews or something.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM

The real conspiracy is that whenever someone tries to post The Truth, the government steps in and removes all references to facts and scientific studies from the OP.
The poster is usually assassinated, hence the "drive-by" phenomenon. In this case the new world order felt a ban was sufficient.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtisme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg
What's the point of being the center of a sooper-secret, sooper-powerful government if there are no minions to rule over?
*Psst!* One word...Lizard Overlords...
No, no, even Lizard Overlords want a living population to rule over. Necromancers. It's the only answer. Everyone they kill is a new recruit!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin
In this case the new world order felt a ban was sufficient.
Ha! Let me repeat that...Ha! HaHa! There was a report earlier on...well, a certain site who's name shall remain anonymous...that black helicopters were seen swooping down on the house of a certain elderly lady and her 53 year old son, who lived in the basement, and who was seen to be being 'escorted' out of said house by some 'men' in dark sun glasses and long over coats (probably either taheen or cantoi...certainly servants of the The Crimson King).

The OP has certainly been 'BANNED'...and (along with his elderly mother) is currently being served as hor dourves at a banquet for our Lizard Overlords and the Old Ones (plus, of course, The Mods)...

-XT

Last edited by XT; 08-26-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Depleated Unranium
Also done in other threads. I'm not informed enough to comment
As a result of depleted uranium usage in Iraq, people are suffering from uranium deficiency.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Mod Rocker

Generally, spammers and such like get their threads hidden in the musty archives. This one provided enough amusing responses to leave visible, (but not sufficient to leave open for more silliness--it ain't a debate).
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Accept no substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Meanie.
Just another Illuminati™ plot. Move along, nothing more to see here.
Closed Thread