The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Is your Social Security number on your birth certificate?
Yep. 4 1.74%
Nope. 219 95.22%
I don't know -- is it? 7 3.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Is your Social Security number on your birth certificate?

The mean lady who made me cry just now at ADP Benefit Services implied that EVERYBODY'S SSN is on their birth certificate, duh. Well, actually, she *said* that; what she *implied* was that I was a) dumb for not knowing that, and b) a liar for saying it's not standard for them to come that way.

She made me cry because I got so frustrated. I had to call about getting my son put on the insurance properly. I already faxed them a copy of his birth certificate, as instructed by one of her peers; now I have to fax them again with a copy of his Social Security card because his substandard birth certificate didn't have his SSN. It's a major PITA to fax anything since I don't have a fax machine and live in a small town. Plus, the mean lady treated me like an idiot when I asked her if she happened to have the number I have to call about getting an insurance card for my son (she didn't).

Did she have to be so mean? Don't answer that. Answer the poll question instead.
Advertisements  
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Mine sure isn't. I was born in '69 and didn't have a SSN till I was, I don't know, 15 or 16.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I didn't have an SSN until more than 50 years after I was born -- so no, it's not.

(And just to clarify -- I was born in Australia, so there'd be no reason even for those -- with US citizen parents -- who did have an SSN.)

Last edited by Giles; 08-30-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

No. What a dumb bitch! It's not standard.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 PM

No. I was born overseas (but to American parents, so I was born American). So of course they wouldn't put an American SS# on that birth certificate.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Mine sure isn't. I was born in '69 and didn't have a SSN till I was, I don't know, 15 or 16.
Different dates and ages in my case, but the person that thought SSN's were assigned at birth grew up in a different era and maybe a different country or else was just testing to see if you had the balls to tell him or her that they ought to investigate the truth of the matter.

I haven't heard anything that ridiculous in a long time!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM

You need a Birth Certificate in order to get an SSN, so I really think she's been processing a lot of forged documents. . .
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM

The mean woman was being a petty tyrant and no, my COLB doesn't have my SSN on it.
I wasn't issued one until I applied for a job when I was 14 or so.
Maybe you should contact this person's supervisor.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Mine doesn't and my one year old daughters doesn't either.

When I filled out her paperwork in the hospital there was an application for a SSN in addition to everything else. The SSN was mailed a few weeks later and was on its own card. To get a copy of her birth certificate I had to request one to be sent. They are totally independent from each other.

But this is in Canada.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM

I didn't get one until I was in my teens, so no.

My four year old daughter didn't have a SSN yet when we applied for her birth certificate, so I don't know how they would have put that on there.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Birth certificates in the US are typically issued by the County in which you were born. There is no requirement to have a SS# to be born and thus a birth certificate.

However, to obtain a SS#, you must provide evidence of US birth, i.e. a birth certificate.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

My BC (vintage 1957, US) certainly doesn't have a space for a SSN.

And based on my years of delivering babies and signing their BCs (1983-1990) they didn't allow for SSN during that time period either.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

That's crazy. Mine certainly doesn't, and yes, I was born in the US. And I see US birth certificates in the line of work every single day, and have NEVER seen one with a SS# on it. I think that lady is an idiot.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
Mine doesn't and my one year old daughters doesn't either.

When I filled out her paperwork in the hospital there was an application for a SSN in addition to everything else. The SSN was mailed a few weeks later and was on its own card. To get a copy of her birth certificate I had to request one to be sent. They are totally independent from each other.

But this is in Canada.
Well, counties in the U.S. are starting to do it this way. The result is that in the future, when you're issued an official copy of the certificate, they will put the number on it, thereby providing additional proof of identity. At least, I think that's the idea.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

You aren't required to apply for an SSN at birth, though you now need one when you claim a baby as a dependent. In addition, the SSN is issued by the Federal Government, but a birth certificate is issued by a local government. You need a birth certificate to get an SSN, so it would be impossible to put it on an original birth certificate.

In general, Social Security recommends the local authority contact them about issuing the SSN, but the number is sent to the parents, not the local authority. So there's no way for the local government to ensure they have an SSN on the birth certificate even if they wanted to.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Nope.

You need the birth certificate to get a SSN, for sure, but my birth certificate certainly does not have my SSN on it.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Well, counties in the U.S. are starting to do it this way. The result is that in the future, when you're issued an official copy of the certificate, they will put the number on it, thereby providing additional proof of identity. At least, I think that's the idea.
I don't think that this is the case. Can you provide a cite for this?

The reason I don't think it is the case is because nothing I can find backs it up, and it doesn't make any sense anyway since birth certificates come from state governments and the SS# comes from the federal government.

Also, none of the literature on the Social Security Administrations website makes any mention of birth certificates having a SS# on them, as the SS# won't be known for days or weeks later, and even then will only be known by the federal government, until they or you notify the state where you and/or you child reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA
Must my child have a Social Security number?

No. Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary. But, it is a good idea to get a number when your child is born. You can apply for a Social Security number for your baby when you apply for your baby’s birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child’s information with us and we will mail the Social Security card to you.

If you wait to apply at a Social Security office, you must show us proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship, age and identity, as well as proof of your own identity. We must verify your child’s birth record, which can add up to 12 weeks to the time it takes to issue a card. To verify a birth certificate, Social Security will contact the office that issued it. We do this verification to prevent people from using fraudulent birth records to obtain Social Security numbers to establish false identities.

As you can see, you cannot get a SS# without having a birth certificate in the first place.

ETA: If you have that lady's name who you dealt with, you should call her office, talk to her supervisor, and relate the story to him or her. This woman sounds like she is in need of some training.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-30-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

No.

I was born in Spain. I didn't acquire my Spanish National ID (our Tax ID) until I was 14, although I imagine that since it's calculated by an algorythm rather than handed out sequentially, and given the data that goes into the calculation, it can be calculated from the data in a Birth Certificate. In Spain you don't need your children's Tax IDs to claim them as dependents.

Didn't acquire my Spanish SSN until I got my first "adult" job, of course (that is, the first one with an actual contract, taxes involved and so forth). That one involves, among other things, the province where I got that first job and the year when I did, so data which is not available in the Birth Certificate.

I got my US Provisional SSN when I went there for Graduate School and my US Permanent SSN one week later. Evidently neither one will be in a document issued by the Spanish Government.

Last edited by Nava; 08-30-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

My son, born in California just this past December, does not have his SSN on his birth certificate.

How could he? As everyone has said, he needed his birth certificate to get his SSN, which came in the mail a few weeks later.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM

I've never heard of it being on a birth certificate. But why wouldn't parents apply for one for the child at birth? You can't claim someone as a dependent on your taxes without their SSN, and I imagine it's requested for school registration and such, so why put it off?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This, exactly. Skald and I are the same age and got our first jobs at the same time, apparently.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

IIRC, I had to have a SSN to get my drivers license at age 16. (That would have been in 1975)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM

We applied for the SSN right from the hospital *before* we actually had the birth certificate. To get the birth certificate, we had to go to Town Hall, request it, and pay a fee for it; they printed it out there in Town Hall. It's officially issued by the state. The SS card came in the mail about a week after we applied. I can imagine that once the number has been assigned, birth certificates subsequently issued could conceivably include the number. But I've never seen such a thing.

It occurs to me that if anyone took seriously the thing about the SSN being strictly only for job-related official government crap, it couldn't possibly appear on one's birth certificate. Ahaha. As if anyone took THAT seriously.

I didn't get Miss Mean Thang's name, or I probably would rat her out if I could. (It's systemic, though; I've never had a pleasant call to those folks, and it's only gotten worse since I got laid off and went COBRA.) Since I didn't, all of you have my thanks, as you have made me feel not-like-an idiot!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Quote:
This, exactly. Skald and I are the same age and got our first jobs at the same time, apparently.
Wait -- are we triplets?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

You didn't used to have to provide SSN's for your dependents. Us kids got ours all at one time, when I was maybe 4 and my brother was 13 in 1961...we have consecutive numbers, the three of us. My kids got their numbers a few months after they were born, after we filled out the papers and sent them off with the birth certificates....that was in the 80's. That lady was either new or crazy. Call her supervisor now! She should not be allowed to make people cry.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

OK, wise guy -- who voted "Yep"?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Mine's not. I didn't get my SSN until I got my first part time job at age 14.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

I was born in another country. Why the hell would my birth certificate - which isn't even in English - have a U.S. id number on it? Call the office back, get that woman on the phone and tell her, "Bitch, you crazy!"

Seriously. Who voted "yep" ??!?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM

That mean lady is an ignorant ass. Were I in your shoes, I would be all too happy to report her and even file an official complaint.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

It may be *now* but I was born in 1961. My parents applied for all 3 of us kids at the same time. Mine ends in 7600, my brothers - who is 2 years older than I is 7601 and my deceased sister who is 2 years older than he is 7602. No idea why we are in reverse order either, it isn't alphabetical, my birth name begins with M, his D and hers B.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Heck no -- furthermore, the local law here could be interpreted to mean they can't include it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Mine does not, nor do those of my sons, born in Dallas, TX in the mid-nineties. I don't see how you *could* have a SSN on a birth certificate, as others have stated above. You don't have one yet when the original is created, and the birth certifying authority isn't notified of the number assigned whenever that does happen anyway ...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM

No. As I understand it, you are not issued a SS# at birth, you must apply for one.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
It may be *now* but I was born in 1961. My parents applied for all 3 of us kids at the same time. Mine ends in 7600, my brothers - who is 2 years older than I is 7601 and my deceased sister who is 2 years older than he is 7602. No idea why we are in reverse order either, it isn't alphabetical, my birth name begins with M, his D and hers B.
Yea! Another consecutive family! My brother once read a very long article in Scientific American on why it was impossible for a family to have consecutive numbers. Lots of algorithims and very learned talk....so my brother wrote to the author to let him know he was all wet. Never heard back from the author.

They are probably in reverse order because that just happens to be the way the applications were piled up.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Mine is on there. I was born in Hawaii in 1977. My birth certificate is dated about a week after I was born.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Yea! Another consecutive family! My brother once read a very long article in Scientific American on why it was impossible for a family to have consecutive numbers. Lots of algorithims and very learned talk....so my brother wrote to the author to let him know he was all wet. Never heard back from the author.

They are probably in reverse order because that just happens to be the way the applications were piled up.
Pretty much, we were getting ready to deploy to Germany after being stationed in Camp/Fort Drum and it was probably indicative of getting us onto their passports.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM

My little sister and I are consecutive too. I thought that was normal for back in the day.

Geek Mecha, really? Your Social Security Number is definitely printed on your Hawaii birth certificate? Maybe Miss Mean Thang is Hawaiian (as well as mean).
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Mecha View Post
Mine is on there. I was born in Hawaii in 1977. My birth certificate is dated about a week after I was born.
Yeah, but we know from the Obama scandal that there's no such thing as a genuine Hawaiian birth certificate, anyway.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Not only does my "Certificate of Live Birth" not have a SS#, but the replacement one I had to get 5 months ago doesn't, either. Nor does my husband's or either of my kids'.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM

The woman at ADP needs a punch in the tits. I was born in England, so obviously my answer won't help, but just for you I pulled my wife's birth certificate out (New York, 1982) and it doesn't have any numbers on it except a "local registration number" and dates.

This Hawaiian one (1963) also doesn't. Doesn't even have a space for it, in fact.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaliminal View Post
My little sister and I are consecutive too. I thought that was normal for back in the day.
Me three. My brother, who is 19 months younger, and I have consecutive numbers. I suspect I got one when I opened a bank account, and my father applied for my brother at the same time.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 AM

Apologies, I was mistaken. My SS card is kept with my birth certificate and birth registration card, and both were done with a typewriter, so the documents combined in my memory.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 AM

No. I actually remember getting my SSN.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM

I didn't get a SSN until I got my first job. While I was growing up it was not necessary for parents to put the SSN of their children on a tax return in order to claim them as dependants.

This changed with the Tax Reform Act of 1986 and then you had to start putting the SSN for children under 5 on your tax return. This resulted in the new practice of getting a SSN shortly after birth as it is now required for any dependant regardless of age.

The first year the Tax Reform Act was implimented 7 million minor dependants disappeared from the tax rolls. Somebody must have been cheating!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Since my father was born in the UK, my original birth certificate explained my dual citizenship. That is all. SIN came along about 16 years later.

Canadian here.

an seanchai
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 PM

I didn't get my SSN until I was about 12, so no, it wasn't on my birth certificate.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM

So, now that you know that the lady is full of shit, what are you going to do about it? I think if someone was rude to me like that I'd for sure talk to a supervisor, especially if it turned out that the info they were rude about was false.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
So, now that you know that the lady is full of shit, what are you going to do about it? I think if someone was rude to me like that I'd for sure talk to a supervisor, especially if it turned out that the info they were rude about was false.
Problem is a) I didn't get her name; 2] she wasn't exactly rude to me. If she had been plainly rude to me, I think I would have been able to shrug it off and wouldn't have been so frustrated. Instead, she spoke to me as though I were a slightly difficult and obtuse customer she was being careful not to set off. She was using a "I'm Being Very Patient and Professional" voice. If her supervisor listens to a recording of the call, it'd probably sound like she was doing her job as trained (except for that bit where she asserts that birth certificates are supposed to have SS#s on them, and a few other creative facts). It was a very neat bit of stealth condescension.

In retrospect, I let myself get overwrought about it because the subject is so high-stakes. If I had been dealing with her over, say, my water bill ($29.40 every three months) it would have been unremarkable. Since I was laid off and am still unemployed, and my husband is underemployed with no benefits, and we had a kid, and I had cancer, doing everything exactly right with this COBRA-kept health insurance is just ridiculously important. It involves scary amounts of bureaucracy (four different organizations! -- the insurance company, the benefits administration company, my old employer, and the federal dang gummint) and costs more than our mortgage. If they cancel the policy because I do something wrong (or "wrong") with the paperwork, it would bankrupt us, no question. So I was panicking.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

I was born in 1957 and got my SS# in 8th or 9th grade. I remember they announced in school that someone would be on campus issuing them, so I brought in the necessary documents and got it then. Back in the 50s I'm pretty sure it was unusual to issue them at birth.

Edited to add: That ADP woman is a dumbass.

Last edited by kapri; 09-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Because that woman is a dumbass.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM

My oldest brother and I (14 years apart) have consecutive numbers too. The family story is that my mother took him to the SS office to get a card issued for his first job, and the clerk offered to issue one to me as well, even though I was a drooling 2 year old.