The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Ladies: other ladies wearing seamed stockings are (pick multiple)
Stylish 71 48.63%
Exibitionist 24 16.44%
Slut 10 6.85%
Outdated 28 19.18%
Daring 44 30.14%
Sexy 74 50.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Ladies what do you think when you see a woman wearing seamed stockings in public?

Options are in the poll.
Advertisements  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM

What poll?

I love them. I used to wear them when I had good legs. Not all of the time, but on occasion. If I saw a woman wearing them now, I would think she liked to be a bit different and that she had a bit of sass.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanvasShoes View Post
What poll?
? You don't see it?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM

If she was wearing long sleeves and a skirt over her knee I'd assume she was Satmar.

If she wasn't, then fashion-clueless.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Okay now I see it. For some weird reason when I first opened the thread it was nowhere in sight.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 PM

I picked several options. It's a statement and you have to be aware that you're making a very specific sex statement, but it's hot.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

I realized too late that I could pick more than one option. I picked stylish, but would have liked to have added sexy. I think it's attractive in a cool, classic, vintagy, old-fashioned way. I am completely surprised that anyone would find it slutty or "fashion-clueless". I really wonder if I'm thinking of something different than others...

Last edited by Elret; 08-30-2010 at 10:47 PM..
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm sure it would depend on the whole package what I thought of her but I automatically picked outdated because I haven't seen a woman in seamed stockings since the eighties.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Hipster.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM

I think I'd hopped into the wayback machine and journey back in time a few decades. Do they still make them?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM

I selected stylish. But I also think "How did she get her seams straight?"
Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 AM

Stylish -- well, as long as they didn't look ridiculous with what she was wearing. But I LOVE seamed stockings. I want a pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I think I'd hopped into the wayback machine and journey back in time a few decades. Do they still make them?

Yep

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-31-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 AM

It would depend somewhat on whether she had nice legs and absolutely on what else she had one, but in any case it's not like I'd expect her to wear them while alone
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM

I think my reply - exhibitionist - was unduly influenced by the only three women I know who habitually wear them. These three women are all undoubtedly good-looking and very obviously use their sexuality to get attention (from men and women).

They are sexy though. (Stockings that is, not these particular women, as I find overt flirting to be a turn-off).
Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 AM

Stylish. Because you can't just accidentally get stockings with a seam these days. In fact, in the late '70s I had to draw a line on a pair for a '40s-style outfit (costume).

Drawing the line on fooled everybody, though. Brown eyebrow pencil, in case anybody's interested in a cheaper version whose seam will be as straight as you can draw and will stay that way.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

I would think she looked hot. In the Fahrenheit sense.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM
BANNED

Seams, madam? Nay, I know not "seams."
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Stylish. Because you can't just accidentally get stockings with a seam these days. In fact, in the late '70s I had to draw a line on a pair for a '40s-style outfit (costume).

Drawing the line on fooled everybody, though. Brown eyebrow pencil, in case anybody's interested in a cheaper version whose seam will be as straight as you can draw and will stay that way.
Would it not be easier just to draw the line on your leg?

Then you don't have to worry about it moving during the day. Or am I the only person who has 'travelling stockings'?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 AM

I dance Argentine tango and think they're a classy alternative to the somewhat clichéd fishnet option.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I'm sure it would depend on the whole package what I thought of her but I automatically picked outdated because I haven't seen a woman in seamed stockings since the eighties.
Yes.
The 80's was the last time I wore them or saw them.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 AM

Pepper Mill just remarked about this a couple of days ago. I don't know what she thinks of them, but she did say "I haven't seen those in ages". They were being worn by a woman who was with some guys who were clearly orthodox Jewish, so I assume they were, as well, and that this affected their choice of clothes.So her thought would probably be "Orthodox".
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I would be envious and call her a dirty whore.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 AM

I love them, specifically Cuban heeled stockings. They are easily obtained via Amazon. I'm sure there are a multitude of other places.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I chose two: "Stylish" and "daring." Stylish because anyone who would do such a thing is clearly focused on making a style statement, ipso facto. And daring because it's so very far out of the norm at present and one who sticks out so far from the norm will attract attention, for better or worse.

Sexy? Well, duh. In the present day sexy is a given, because everything is sexy to somebody or other.

"Dated" I took as trivial, since "dated" is a near-subset of "fashionable" in a postmodern age of pastiche where anything retro goes. The only time datedness constitutes a fashion clunker is when something has gone out of date so recently that it can still be found haunting the clearance bins in the K-Marts of Kansas, and is still being worn by the clientèle of said establishments.

Once it's passed out of all currency in the 50 states and associated territories, then after a short interval it can qualify for a fun trip to Yesterdayland. You can find everything from 1911-type hobble skirts to '50s poodle skirts and '60s psychedelic minidresses to '80s pastiche on the streets these days. Not to speak of the Goth crowd going all fantasy-Victorian.

I don't do the seamed stockings myself, I dress rather conservatively (and when "conservative" is contrasted with "retro," that's funny), but yes, I feel that the 1940s styles comprise a notable peak of coolness in the timeline of Yesterdayland.

By the way, you ****, you forgot the customary last option in the poll, which goes "By the way, you ****, you forgot ———..."
Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Pepper Mill just remarked about this a couple of days ago. I don't know what she thinks of them, but she did say "I haven't seen those in ages". They were being worn by a woman who was with some guys who were clearly orthodox Jewish, so I assume they were, as well, and that this affected their choice of clothes.So her thought would probably be "Orthodox".
Is there a reason Orthodox women would wear them?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM

Seriously, I don't think a damned thing when I see a woman with seamed hose. I can't remember the last time I saw someone dress that way outside of the theater or some other kind of performance. I checked "daring," though, since if I thought about it, that might be the closest.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM

What a timely poll! I have some that I wanted to wear to an event coming up, along with a whole (hidden) set of vintage style lingerie. I have been pretty nervous about wearing them though, because even though the lingerie will be under my dress (obviously) I thought that seeing the seamed stockings would be sort of... I guess slutty is the right word. Seeing this poll makes me feel a lot better. Also, I'm not sure what kind of shoes I should wear, since they are Cuban heeled. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra_nz View Post
Quote:

Would it not be easier just to draw the line on your leg?

Then you don't have to worry about it moving during the day. Or am I the only person who has 'travelling stockings'?
I think it was a WWII trick to just draw the lines on your legs, to make it look like you had on stockings (they were apparently hard to come by). So yeah, that would probably work.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Not all Orthodox women wear them. I know that some sects of Chassidic women wear them. Someone mentioned Satmar Chassidim before...

The seams date back to the old days when all stockings had seams. The women continue to wear them because the seams serve as a "sign" that a woman's legs are fully covered so there is no confusion about whether the woman is wearing stockings or not.

It's interesting that in modern-day America, many of us think of seamed stockings as sexy, whereas in these communities they are a symbol of modesty, and for all intents and purposes, are meant to serve as a deterrence from sexual thoughts.

As with a lot of laws, the rabbinic opinions on modesty, or tznuit, for Orthodox women vary greatly between sects. For a good overview, you can check out Wikipedia.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM

Not a lady. Excuse please.

Quote:
I think it was a WWII trick to just draw the lines on your legs, to make it look like you had on stockings (they were apparently hard to come by).
They were. All silk came from the Japanese-controlled Far East, and nylon was needed for all kinds of war materiel.

I was in Minneapolis at some trendy bistro (not a contradiction in terms), and the gal waiting on me had short-shorts and "seams" tattooed on her. I could hardly eat for gawking.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

What else is she wearing? And please type slowly.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM

People have seriously voted for "slut"? Amazing. What do you think of women who wear red lipstick? "Brazen hussy"?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by please921 View Post
It's interesting that in modern-day America, many of us think of seamed stockings as sexy, whereas in these communities they are a symbol of modesty, and for all intents and purposes, are meant to serve as a deterrence from sexual thoughts.
It's perpetually interesting how a body part which one culture deems modest to cover up looks sexy to another culture when covered up. And vice versa for baring given body parts. There's plenty of room for play in such a cross-cultural world as we live in today. And how the covering and baring are done matters even more than the facts themselves.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallows fodder View Post
People have seriously voted for "slut"? Amazing. What do you think of women who wear red lipstick? "Brazen hussy"?
Yeah. I feel somewhat dirty just for having participated in a thread posted by someone who still uses that term for women. Well, consider it slumming, cultural junk food. Fun once in a while but too much makes you queasy.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 PM

I didn't even know what seamed stockings were until this thread.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM

Can't answer because it depends on the entire look.

I really like them, but seldom wear them - at least, I seldom wear them anywhere where anyone other than my husband can see them....and I don't THINK that means I'm a slut.......
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 PM

I didn't vote because none of the options really fit. I would think someone looks not stylish, but stylized. Like she's going for a very retro, vintage look. Maybe she thinks it looks sexy. IMHO, it looks overdone and a little silly, but I am not the fashion police.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

I'd think she's one of those wannabe pinup girls you see all over the place lately-- usually covered in bad tattoos (I like tattoos, so it's not that I'm anti tattoo- I'm just anti bad tattoo), garish red lipstick, some neon dyed hair in sloppy victory rolls and such. It's not necessarily slutty or skanky at all, or exhibitionist, it's just. . . a look I'm not fond of. Actually, when done right, I adore that look- it's the ever popular cheap bastardization of it lately that I'm not too keen on.

I guess on an otherwise modern looking normal lady in an office, I wouldn't think anything.

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 08-31-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Don't leave out the black bangs à la Bettie Page. They've been de rigueur for several years now.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Stylish -- well, as long as they didn't look ridiculous with what she was wearing. But I LOVE seamed stockings. I want a pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post

Yep
Ahem........Oooh, Laa, Laa!

It's good to see that our Doper Gals out there share the same opinion as I do........"Stylish" and "Sexy". Bless you! Bless you all!

Last edited by Yeticus Rex; 08-31-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM

The first thing I'd think is that she takes really good care of her fingernails, because getting the seam straight is an exercise in snags unless your nails are perfect.

I voted 'Daring'.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by please921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Not all Orthodox women wear them. I know that some sects of Chassidic women wear them. Someone mentioned Satmar Chassidim before...

The seams date back to the old days when all stockings had seams. The women continue to wear them because the seams serve as a "sign" that a woman's legs are fully covered so there is no confusion about whether the woman is wearing stockings or not.

As with a lot of laws, the rabbinic opinions on modesty, or tznuit, for Orthodox women vary greatly between sects. For a good overview, you can check out Wikipedia.

Well, these aren't the typical nylons you and I think of. These are thick, opaque stockings that are derisively called "bulletproof" by other less stringent Orthodox groups. Satmar has banned sheer stockings; I think they all wear some really high denier like 60 or 100.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Why didn't you ask men? We have opinions on the matter too. I think most men consider seams to be 'guide lines'.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I would say that I want to vote! We manly types have certain opinions about this!

(Stockings with seams a +. I dislike pantyhose on the ladies, but then I'm 67 years old)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

I voted for exhibitionist, because unless you are in a forties play, the only reason to wear them is to make sure people notice your legs. Which is not a bad thing....but it does imply "look at me, I have great legs!"

Or....you'd BETTER have great legs!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM

My daughter has some seamed stockings, and they look great on her.

She also has Bettie Page bangs, but I think she can get away with it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Hubba hubba.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM

As a 25 year old male, it depends on the age of the person wearing them. If they are a generation or more ahead of me, I assume outdated. If younger, I assume trying for a retro sheik. Either way, there's an odd sexy/exhibitionist vibe, due to the unfortunate association of patterned leggings and prostitutes. But I usually assume the outdated people are unaware of that, and that he retro sheiks are using it ironically, unless I see them on a street corner looking like they're trying to pick up tricks (and I've only seen that in movies.)

(Didn't vote in the poll for the obvious reason that I'm a guy.)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Retro sheik? You mean... like this? <chortle>

Re the OP... if it ever happens, I'll let you know. I don't remember ever seeing anyone in seamed stockings in public unless they were off to a fancy dress party.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
僕は女性の香りが大好きですよ。フア!

Guy here, so I didn't vote, but I've never seen a woman in seamed stockings, in a business environment, who didn't have a gawkfest on her hands. Most women, in my experience, who wear seamed stockings know they can pull it off, and most men, again, in my experience, find it extremely sexy, distractingly so.