Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 27,904
Facebook Q: Did someone de-friend me?

And if so, how can I find out?

I was checking kaylasmom's FB page for her today, and noticed that her friends count appears to have fallen by one. Does FB have a function that notifies a member when a de-friending has taken place, or that can be checked to note any deletions?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  #2  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 21,939
They do not notify you.

You can, however, try to go to their page. If you can't access it, you're no longer their friend.
  #3  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Skald the Rhymer Skald the Rhymer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Facebook does not notify you when you're defriended. You'll only notice if the person blocks you entirely (so you can't view their pages) or, like moi, you have few enough friends so any change is noticeable.

-Skald, currently culling his friends list from simple pettiness and making sure to send emails to those he wants out of his life aforehand.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 09-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.
  #4  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Skald the Rhymer Skald the Rhymer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
They do not notify you.

You can, however, try to go to their page. If you can't access it, you're no longer their friend.
Technically that'll depend on their settings. Anybody can go to my Skald-as-corporate-drone page, but only my 90 -- um, 89 -- um, 85 -- friends can get to the personal one.
  #5  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 27,904
Problem is, I don't have a list of the original fifty-one people in my head. Would the links stay up in her profile page, so I could just try going to every entry there (the friends list on her profile page adds everybody she's ever asked to be friends with, even if they haven't accepted yet)?
  #6  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 21,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Problem is, I don't have a list of the original fifty-one people in my head. Would the links stay up in her profile page, so I could just try going to every entry there (the friends list on her profile page adds everybody she's ever asked to be friends with, even if they haven't accepted yet)?
No. You'll have to remember who the missing person is.
  #7  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 27,904
Well, crap.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, though.

ETA: Wait a minute. What if I go through all of her old incoming emails from FB, that tell her when someone has accepted a request?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
  #8  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
GESancMan GESancMan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,010
I have a couple of friends who periodically disable their accounts, sometimes for a few days, sometimes several weeks. Then they suddenly show up again as if nothing were amiss. It could be something like that.
  #9  
Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
thelurkinghorror thelurkinghorror is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 12,384
This will work. The catch: you have to have it installed before people unfriend you. Requires firefox and greasemonkey too.
  #10  
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Swallowed My Cellphone Swallowed My Cellphone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 6,126
I have a small number on my list too (don't really use it much) and saw my list drop by one.

I figured if I couldn't remember who's missing, then they aren't an important "friend" and didn't sweat it.
  #11  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 11,673
Why the obsession over who defriended your wife? Are you planning retribution?

Could also be one of her friends decided to deactivate their facebook account. That would result in them no longer being included in her count.
  #12  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
leftfield6 leftfield6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Metro
Posts: 2,956
The real FB-Diss is when someone un-friends you and also blocks you. Lets say I have a friend (or so I thought) named Suzy. For some reason, Suzy un-friends me and also blocks me. To me, as I surf FB, Suzy no longer exists.
  • If I search for her, no results come up
  • If we have common friends and Suzy writes on their wall, I don't see her posting
  • I no longer see her listed as a friend of my friends.
  • She just...poof...goes away.

The only way you can "sense the ghost" of Suzy is when numbers don't add up. For example, I see on a friend's wall that "4 people like" his cute picture of a puppy. But when I click on the "like" to see who these people are, I only see 3 names. Hmmm, someone is hiding from me.
  #13  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 32,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Facebook does not notify you when you're defriended. You'll only notice if the person blocks you entirely (so you can't view their pages) or, like moi, you have few enough friends so any change is noticeable.

-Skald, currently culling his friends list from simple pettiness and making sure to send emails to those he wants out of his life aforehand.
I'm ashamed of you. That last part makes you definitely not evil. I hate it when people defriend without at least telling you why.
  #14  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 27,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
This will work. The catch: you have to have it installed before people unfriend you. Requires firefox and greasemonkey too.
Cool. Does it come with a time machine app, so I can satisfy that catch?

ETA: I SWEAR that's the only thing I want that app for.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.
  #15  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 PM
digs digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
And if so, how can I find out?

I was checking kaylasmom's FB page for her today, and noticed that her friends count appears to have fallen by one. Does FB have a function that notifies a member when a de-friending has taken place, or that can be checked to note any deletions?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Take a deep, centering breath... and let it go...

Is kaylasmom worrying about this? If I let my wife know that I was obses--I mean, concerned about her being defriended, she would NOT think "Oh, how sweet, he wants to defend my honor." She'd think "I married an uptight neurotic". And... she'd be right.

But i'd like to point out that she knew full well she was marrying an uptight neurotic.
  #16  
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 50,649
I think it makes sense -- if you have someone who's harassing you, or an ex who's abusive or whatever, NOT letting them know you're defriending them is definitely the way to go.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017