The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 AM
ralph124c ralph124c is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
H. L. Hunt Bankrolled JFK Assassination? Ever Heard of This?

In one of my late-night insomnia sessions, I was reviewing comments on the IMDB.com site, on the old Michael Caine movie ("The Billion Dollar Brain"-one of my faves).
In one of the user reviews, I caught this statement: Just wanted to add a few foot notes concerning the vastly under rated plot line of Billion Dollar Brain. The character of Midwinter was actually based on H. L. Hunt, the Texas oil and ketchup king who ran his own international spy network (occasionally doing jobs on the side for the CIA), was insanely anti-Russian, and (according to the death bed claims of E. Howard Hunt) may have bank rolled the murder of JFK.
Anybody ever heard of this? I never have read anything that made such a claim.
So, for you JFK Assassination junkies: What's the Straigh Dope??
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 AM
The Second Stone The Second Stone is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2008
I'd never heard that HL was involved in the conspiracy to kill JFK. I have heard about the E. Howard Hunt deathbed confession and for years prior I had heard that EH was a potential conspirator.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Captain Amazing Captain Amazing is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 22,762
The claim is that Jim Braiden (petty criminal/bookie/arrested/interrogated by the Dallas PD after the assassination for "acting suspicious") met with Hunt the day before the assassination, and that Braiden had links with Carlos Marcello (Mafia "boss" of New Orleans, deported by the Justice Department during the Kennedy administration and vowed revenge on the Kennedy brothers), Santos Trafficante (Member of the Miami Mafia, big investor in Havana casinos pre-Castro, involved with the CIA in some fairly stupid and failed plots to kill Castro), and David Ferrie (private investigator, had no body hair, strong anti-Communist, involved in some private anti-Castro plots, supposedly upset with Kennedy for withdrawing air support during Bay of Pigs, accused by Jim Garrison of being part of a plot to kill Kennedy, supposedly "hypnotized Oswald" to get him to shoot Kennedy, played by Joe Pesci in Oliver Stone's movie).

Last edited by Captain Amazing; 09-02-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 16,928
Haven't you figured it out by now? EVERYONE was involved in the assasination plot!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Tapioca Dextrin Tapioca Dextrin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Staring blankly at my GPS
Posts: 11,245
Most elaborate suicide ever.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin View Post
Most elaborate suicide ever.
You read the Warren Report then.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,193
Old old old story. Yes, I heard a version of this story decades ago.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Old old old story. Yes, I heard a version of this story decades ago.
Yep. Extremely old. Watch the movie "Executive Action" ca. 1973. The old guy with the moustache, Will Geer is supposed to be (kinda) HL Hunt.
You must be a noob to the JFK thing. Hunt is quite the suspect. Somewhere out there is a note, allegedly from Oswald, to a 'Mr. Hunt", asking, uh, I can't remember, but, it makes for some good speculating. If either of them is the real McCoy.
Dunno if the internet is the place to find the Hunt thing. It may be more of a book thing.


BTW, Hunt wasn't anti-Russian; he was anti-Communist.

Best wishes,
hh
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
David Myers David Myers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I don't know about bankrolling the assasination, but he was present, along with J. Edgar Hoover, Richard Nixon, LBJ, Dallas Mayor Cabell (who changed the motorcade route to drive right by the Texas book depository building - and the grassy knoll, and was brother to C.I.A. deputy director General Charles T. Cabell (who was fired by JFK for his role in the disasterous bay of pigs invasion of Cuba) , a high level CIA officer, Carlos Marchello (New Orleans mafia don), and quite a number of other texas oil "high rollers" at a meeting at Clint Murchison's lodge, outside of Dallas, for both a party and, later, near the end of the party, a select meeting, including all of the above on November 21, 1963 (the night before the assassination). After the meeting, LBJ came out and whispered to his long time mistress, Madeleine Duncan Brown, "those son of a bitch Kennedys will never embarrass me again, after tomorrow." Parts of her interview are available on YouTube, as well as the full interview, at this website:

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=15167

The conspiracy deniers have a multitude of excuses (that supposedly disprove every conspiracy claim) for every single piece of evidence in favor of a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong. In fact, the accumulated evidence, for anyone wanting to study it in detail, is overwhelming. (see also, David Lifton's book, "The Best Evidence" as well as an update on this line of evidence by Douglas P. Hornes, Cheif Analyst for Military Records, Assasination Records Review Board, in his seminal work, "Inside the Assasination Records Review Board (2009). Do a little digging and you will know there was a conspiracy involving most of the criminal vested interests that were in control of the US government in 1963 and continue to have vast illegal influence today.

Last edited by David Myers; 09-03-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 27,031
I think my favorite JFK assassination story may be the confession by Woody Harrelson's father that he did it. Charles Harrelson, who looks remarkably like Woody, was a hitman, but he later retracted his confession.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers View Post

The conspiracy deniers have a multitude of excuses (that supposedly disprove every conspiracy claim) for every single piece of evidence in favor of a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong. In fact, the accumulated evidence, for anyone wanting to study it in detail, is overwhelming. (see also, David Lifton's book, "The Best Evidence" as well as an update on this line of evidence by Douglas P. Hornes, Cheif Analyst for Military Records, Assasination Records Review Board, in his seminal work, "Inside the Assasination Records Review Board (2009). Do a little digging and you will know there was a conspiracy involving most of the criminal vested interests that were in control of the US government in 1963 and continue to have vast illegal influence today.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 27,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers View Post

The conspiracy deniers have a multitude of excuses (that supposedly disprove every conspiracy claim) for every single piece of evidence in favor of a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong. In fact, the accumulated evidence, for anyone wanting to study it in detail, is overwhelming. (see also, David Lifton's book, "The Best Evidence" as well as an update on this line of evidence by Douglas P. Hornes, Cheif Analyst for Military Records, Assasination Records Review Board, in his seminal work, "Inside the Assasination Records Review Board (2009). Do a little digging and you will know there was a conspiracy involving most of the criminal vested interests that were in control of the US government in 1963 and continue to have vast illegal influence today.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I think my favorite JFK assassination story may be the confession by Woody Harrelson's father that he did it. Charles Harrelson, who looks remarkably like Woody, was a hitman, but he later retracted his confession.
IIRC, he denied it at first. It is amusing to watch the series "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" when he is confronted with the photos of the 3 tramps. Watch him looking at the photos. He is either 1. Struck by the resemblance of the tall one to himself, or else he is 2. Trying to think of a good lie! YMMV.
Like I said amusing.

Best wishes,
hh
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Captain Amazing Captain Amazing is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 22,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
. . .Dallas Mayor Cabell (who changed the motorcade route to drive right by the Texas book depository building - and the grassy knoll,
I'm not going to go into the rest of your post, but this is certainly not true. The decision was made to hold the Dallas luncheon at the Trade Mart by Kennedy aide Lawrence O'Donnell on November 14th, and he communicated that on that with two Secret Service agents in Dallas, Winston Lawson and Forrest Sorrels. It was Lawson and Sorrels' responsibility to work out the motorcade route. They did so on November 15th, settling on the route that was taken, and then met with the Dallas police (Police Chief Curry, Assistant Chief Batchelor, and Deputy Chief Fisher), who accepted their proposed route without making any alterations. On November 18th, they drove the route a final time and then let the White House know. The Dallas papers reported the route on November 19th and 20th.

The mayor had no input on the route and the route was never changed. The route that Agents Lawson and Sorrels established on November 15th was the route that the presidential motorcade took.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing

The mayor had no input on the route and the route was never changed. The route that Agents Lawson and Sorrels established on November 15th was the route that the presidential motorcade took.
Oh, so they were in on it too?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 13,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Haven't you figured it out by now? EVERYONE was involved in the assasination plot!!!
Some of us in small ways. I watered the grassy knoll.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-05-2010, 01:07 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Haven't you figured it out by now? EVERYONE was involved in the assasination plot!!!
Some of us in small ways. I watered the grassy knoll.
Next time use the porta john.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott View Post

Some of us in small ways. I watered the grassy knoll.
Next time use the porta john.
Did they even have them in 1963?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 55,079
Quote:
I don't know about bankrolling the assasination, but he was present, along with J. Edgar Hoover, Richard Nixon, LBJ, Dallas Mayor Cabell (who changed the motorcade route to drive right by the Texas book depository building - and the grassy knoll, and was brother to C.I.A. deputy director General Charles T. Cabell (who was fired by JFK for his role in the disasterous bay of pigs invasion of Cuba) , a high level CIA officer, Carlos Marchello (New Orleans mafia don), and quite a number of other texas oil "high rollers" at a meeting at Clint Murchison's lodge, outside of Dallas, for both a party and, later, near the end of the party, a select meeting, including all of the above on November 21, 1963 (the night before the assassination). After the meeting, LBJ came out and whispered to his long time mistress, Madeleine Duncan Brown, "those son of a bitch Kennedys will never embarrass me again, after tomorrow." Parts of her interview are available on YouTube, as well as the full interview, at this website:
I'm impressed. They decided to kill Kennedy on the evening of November 21 and he was dead twelve hours later. That's one well-organized conspiracy.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post

Next time use the porta john.
Did they even have them in 1963?
No, that's why it was so long until another assassination attempt.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
kittenblue kittenblue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 6,407
Ok, fine...I give up. I confess. I shot Kennedy. Planned the whole thing out, traveled to Texas and hid along the route and shot him with my big brother's BB gun. Sure, you say, a likely story...how would a six-year-old girl do that on her own? well, you'll have to wait for those details in my tell-all, blockbuster book, coming out this fall from Phantom Press.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
user_hostile user_hostile is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near KIAD
Posts: 1,740
I am Lee Harvey Spartacus!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 55,079
Doesn't make any sense that the CIA or the Pentagon would have killed Kennedy. Kennedy was a Cold War Hawk - he loved spies and special ops. And he was escalating the war in Vietnam just like the military wanted.

No, whoever killed Kennedy had to be somebody who benefitted from his death. Somebody who Kennedy would serve better as a martyr than as a President. Somebody whose agenda had been closed out of the Kennedy White House and who'd be back in with the Johnson White House. Somebody who no one would suspect.

And that's why Martin Luther King killed John F Kennedy.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 16,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
I don't know about bankrolling the assasination, but he was present, along with J. Edgar Hoover, Richard Nixon, LBJ, Dallas Mayor Cabell (who changed the motorcade route to drive right by the Texas book depository building - and the grassy knoll, and was brother to C.I.A. deputy director General Charles T. Cabell (who was fired by JFK for his role in the disasterous bay of pigs invasion of Cuba) , a high level CIA officer, Carlos Marchello (New Orleans mafia don), and quite a number of other texas oil "high rollers" at a meeting at Clint Murchison's lodge, outside of Dallas, for both a party and, later, near the end of the party, a select meeting, including all of the above on November 21, 1963 (the night before the assassination). After the meeting, LBJ came out and whispered to his long time mistress, Madeleine Duncan Brown, "those son of a bitch Kennedys will never embarrass me again, after tomorrow." Parts of her interview are available on YouTube, as well as the full interview, at this website:

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=15167

The conspiracy deniers have a multitude of excuses (that supposedly disprove every conspiracy claim) for every single piece of evidence in favor of a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong. In fact, the accumulated evidence, for anyone wanting to study it in detail, is overwhelming. (see also, David Lifton's book, "The Best Evidence" as well as an update on this line of evidence by Douglas P. Hornes, Cheif Analyst for Military Records, Assasination Records Review Board, in his seminal work, "Inside the Assasination Records Review Board (2009). Do a little digging and you will know there was a conspiracy involving most of the criminal vested interests that were in control of the US government in 1963 and continue to have vast illegal influence today.
OK, here's the question I ask of everyone who believes in an assasination conspiracy.

It's been 47 years since Kennedy was shot. In that 47 years, the following people and groups have been implicated as being behind the Kennedy assasination:

The right wing, specifically the CIA

The left wing, specifically Cuba or Castro sympathizers

Lyndon Johnson

Richard Nixon

The Mafia

There are some other suspects, but these five cover the majority of the theories.

You'll note that some of these suspects are direct competitors of others. After 47 years of both legitimate researchers and dedicated crazies digging into the assasination, wouldn't you expect there to be some evidence from somewhere that would begin to focus on one of the suspects and eliminate the others? I mean, it seems unlikely that the right wing would hire a left-winger like Oswald, but it seems equally unlikely that the Cubans would hire someone who could be traced back to them so easily, and yet be so unstable.

And if the Mafia had the goods on JFK, why wouldn't they just blackmail him and shoot RFK, who was the real source of irritation? Little Nemo's explanation makes a lot more sense than most of the theories out there.

You see where I'm going here? After all these years, with all sorts of people digging into more and more obscure files and less and less credible sources, there's been no revelation that has been able to drive the search toward the true killer, and away from the red herrings.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. I'm still waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
42fish 42fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
And that's why Martin Luther King killed John F Kennedy.
And when Bobby found out, he hired James Earl Ray for payback.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
...
And that's why Martin Luther King killed John F Kennedy.
This is news to me. I mean, I knew he killed Gandhi, but Kennedy too?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.