The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Does it mean anything if the palm lines on your right hand are different from those on the left?

I tried looking this up online, but couldn't find anything or figure anything out from what I found (So many palm reading websites, and all of them equally useless in this aspect). I don't know anyone else that has different palm lines, and I was hoping someone here could tell me if it means anything.

Oh, and I'm not talking about small differences in the lines, like the tiny creases or anything like that. My right hand has one crease going from the right to the left side of my palm and one crease curing down into my wrist. My left hand has the same curved crease going down to the wrist, but has one line going from the left side and then curving downwards and another on the right side curving upwards. It's as if the the crease from my right hand that goes across my palm broke in two.

I would gladly appreciate any info on this.
Advertisements  
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 AM

I think they're always different. It would be kind of weird if they were exactly the same.

You do know, right, that palm readers are supposed to read your left palm? Unless your question to the palm reader has to do with business, then it's the right. So that in itself would tell you there should be a difference, otherwise either one would do.

Also, none of the lines means anything anyway. A palm reader can probably tell, for real, if you do physical work, if you play guitar, that kind of thing. All the rest is just cold reading.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM

It means you got a hand transplant from that executed murderer. You should try to squelch any tendency your hand has to try to strangle your neighbor on its own.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Does your left hand know what your right hand is doing?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I think they're always different. It would be kind of weird if they were exactly the same.
Looking at mine, the major lines along my palms are very similar, but certainly not identical.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Mine are an almost perfect mirror image of each other.

Now I'm worried.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpw3141 View Post

Now I'm worried.
That just means you were originally one of a set of twins, but your body absorbed your pair in utero. Twins are mirror images of each other, and you got his hand.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Quote:

Now I'm worried.
That just means you were originally one of a set of twins, but your body absorbed your pair in utero. Twins are mirror images of each other, and you got his hand.
Oh, right.

Phew!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM

It means you've been using your right hand way more often than your left.

And we know what you were using it for.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Does your left hand know what your right hand is doing?
For best effect, raise right hand when saying word 'left', and left hand with word 'right'.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I just read Lynn Redgrave's autobio This is Living. She had her palms read once, and the reader explained that the left hand showed what was going to happen, and the right what you were going to do.

Redgrave's palms showed that she would live a long, but not overly long life and would live longer than she should. Also that she wouldhave to or possibly three children.

Redgrave and her husband John Clark had two children and, when their chldren were 10 & 12, a third child. She lived with breast cancer for 7 1/2 years.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I just read Lynn Redgrave's autobio This is Living. She had her palms read once, and the reader explained that the left hand showed what was going to happen, and the right what you were going to do.

Redgrave's palms showed that she would live a long, but not overly long life and would live longer than she should. Also that she wouldhave to or possibly three children.

Redgrave and her husband John Clark had two children and, when their chldren were 10 & 12, a third child. She lived with breast cancer for 7 1/2 years.
That is remarkable! Imagine someone having two, or maybe three children, and not living an overly long life. What are the odds?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I know. Mary Higgins Clark describes going to a palmist while in her teens, who told her she was going to be very rich and famous, live a very long life, and die abroad.

The first part came true.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Fishermen in dories have identical creases marks in their hands. That's because they stroke with both. Try it sometime.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM

It means you have cancer,
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Quote:

Now I'm worried.
More specifically, qpw3141 is a former set of *identical* twins. The OP is a former set of fraternal twins, a.k.a. a chimera. .

Best not to seek any public assistance for any children, like this woman - she had to have someone present at the birth of one of her children to prove she wasn't committing welfare fraud!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

In GQ, we generally ask that people hold off on the humorous answers until a serious answer has been given. Unfortunately, in this case, the only serious answer is: no, it doesn't mean anything.

That, of course, is because the palm lines on your hands don't mean anything anyway. Except mine. I have a line that shows I was in a bicycle accident when I was a teenager, and another line that shows where I cut my palm on the lid of a tin can in Germany when I was 20. Those mean something.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM

It sounds like you have a "Simian Crease" on one of your hands and a "normal" crease on the other. The two images on the bottom of the article should look like your two hands.

The single crease is relatively uncommon. It appears to be determined by genetics. Normally people have the same time of crease on both hands, but in the article I linked it mentions that having the single crease on one hand and not the other runs in some families.

I hope you weren't seriously expecting to find useful information on palm-reading websites ("It means that there's a part of yourself you reveal to the world, but another part you keep hidden" etc).

Last edited by Bad Astronaut; 09-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Astronaut View Post
It sounds like you have a "Simian Crease" on one of your hands and a "normal" crease on the other. The two images on the bottom of the article should look like your two hands.

The single crease is relatively uncommon. It appears to be determined by genetics. Normally people have the same time of crease on both hands, but in the article I linked it mentions that having the single crease on one hand and not the other runs in some families.

I hope you weren't seriously expecting to find useful information on palm-reading websites ("It means that there's a part of yourself you reveal to the world, but another part you keep hidden" etc).
Thanks Bad Astronaut. That's the kind of info I was looking for, not someone telling me that I abuse my right hand too much.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead91 View Post
I tried looking this up online, but couldn't find anything or figure anything out from what I found (So many palm reading websites, and all of them equally useless in this aspect). I don't know anyone else that has different palm lines, and I was hoping someone here could tell me if it means anything.
Ahem. This is General Questions Forum, not Magic Incantations Forum.

You have been going to "palm reading websites"? Do you expect those to have useful information in 2010? In the Dark Ages, seers "read" goat or chicken entrails to forecast the future; is this what you are expecting with reading palms?

Are you really expecting a serious answer from such ignorant medieval nonsense? Or did I misinterpret your question/research, and you recognized that such sites are not medically valid in the slightest?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Well, I don't know what kind of meaning the OP was looking for but I saw the potential for serious answers in two areas:

1. Is it common or uncommon for the lines on both hands to be essentially the same. Mine are similar but also significantly divergent in certain areas. I was made curious to know if there might be a standard other than what I'd expect.

2. If there is a standard, does deviation from that standard indicate anything. Not does it mean I'll find riches in my uncles attic, but is it an indication of a particular genetic setting, and indication of long term differences in use (honestly never thought about it so I'm not entirely sure what causes ir impacts the specific of palm lines).
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

If your hand offends thee.....
Old 09-09-2010, 03:13 AM

It means you're a horrible horrible freak and must be shunned. UNCLEAN!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 AM
BANNED

Your future is in your right hand, and your past lies in the left.

The left hand also shows what you were born with (things you can't control), and the right hand shows what you're going to make of your life. (things you can)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

The left hand also shows what you were born with (things you can't control), and the right hand shows what you're going to make of your life. (things you can)

And I'm sure you'll be happy to provide evidence for this claim...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
It means you've been using your right hand way more often than your left.

And we know what you were using it for.
Quote:

You two seem to be in agreement.

Quote:

I don't want to see the evidence. Maybe Ken Starr does.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Are we really to the point where people can't tell that, if you mention palm reading, you are obviously joking?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
In GQ, we generally ask that people hold off on the humorous answers until a serious answer has been given. Unfortunately, in this case, the only serious answer is: no, it doesn't mean anything.

That, of course, is because the palm lines on your hands don't mean anything anyway. Except mine. I have a line that shows I was in a bicycle accident when I was a teenager, and another line that shows where I cut my palm on the lid of a tin can in Germany when I was 20. Those mean something.
I have a grid pattern on my palms from burning my hands on a heating grate at my grandparents house when I was just learning to crawl. They've continued to grow as I did, and the pattern is now about 5x larger than the original grate pattern is.

I also have a nice perfectly V shaped scar from jumping over a chain link fence. The bent down spikes twisted under the skin, caught, and ripped as I fell to the other side.

There is another on the other palm that is a straight line from sharpening arrowheads a bit too enthusiastically. Stone sharpened heads don't heal nearly as well as razor sharp heads(that line is gone).

My palm lines are very geometric. Does this mean anything?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Are we really to the point where people can't tell that, if you mention palm reading, you are obviously joking?
Unfortunately we are not. I'm fairly certain that Markxxx was not joking since this is a standard claim made by palm reading adherents.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I have a grid pattern on my palms from burning my hands on a heating grate at my grandparents house when I was just learning to crawl. They've continued to grow as I did, and the pattern is now about 5x larger than the original grate pattern is.

I also have a nice perfectly V shaped scar from jumping over a chain link fence. The bent down spikes twisted under the skin, caught, and ripped as I fell to the other side.

There is another on the other palm that is a straight line from sharpening arrowheads a bit too enthusiastically. Stone sharpened heads don't heal nearly as well as razor sharp heads(that line is gone).

My palm lines are very geometric. Does this mean anything?
It means your username is well chosen.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
BANNED

I don't believe in Palm Reading but that is how you read palms.

I used to read palms and tea leaves. I did it for fun. You can go to the library and get a book on how to do it.

I never could master reading cards or tarot or the Ouija

I don't believe in it, but it's fun if you don't take it seriously.