Vote Now! Yes, it's the Anthology Thread of the Sept. 2010 SDMB Short Fiction Contest.

Presenting the Anthology Thread of the SDMB Short Fiction Contest, Sept. 2010 edition. A quick recap of the rules -

At 9 AM EDT, Friday, September 10th, 2010, I posted a link to a photo (found by random means) and also generated three words, again by random means, and posted those three words in this thread. Writers still have until 9 PM EDT today (Sunday, September 12th, 2010) to write an original piece of short fiction, no more than 2,000 words in length, based in some way on that photo and those three words. All interested participants will be working from the same compulsory material.

Writers - send your completed work to me, preferably in a .doc format, at sdmbpoetrysweatshop at gmail dot com before 9 PM EDT on Sunday, September 12th. I will verify that it is 2,000 words or less, and I will post it in this Anthology Thread. Please include your SDMB username. I will post the stories as a ~100 word teaser, followed by the complete story in a spoiler box, (Click the button labeled ‘spoiler’ to reveal the text, for those not familiar with the SDMB.) with the authors’ names in separate spoiler boxes.

At 9 PM EDT, Sunday, September 12th, 2010 a multiple choice poll will be established to determine the readers favourite story. I would also ask voters to choose those stories that have incorporated the compulsory material in the most interesting manner. At the end of a week, the poll will close and we will declare a winner of the PoeHenryParkerSaki award.

The poll, once established, will be a secret ballot type poll. No one need ever know how you voted. I would, however, encourage everyone to please vote. You are providing an important source of feedback to the writers.

While we welcome readers’ comments, may I please request that readers hold off until after the poll is established. That way, the first posts in the thread will all be the various stories. After the poll is established, your comments are enthusiastically encouraged.

To recap the compulsory material -
The Photo

and the three words -

**Auroras
Habitually
Cherish **

And now, here are the stories that this contest has produced. I want to point out - the authors’ user names are in spoiler boxes at the end of the stories. Please do not be fooled by the fact that they appear in a reply sent by me - only one of these stories is mine.

Enjoy!

“Ashes to ashes, rust to rust,” Terry grinned as he emerged from the house with a couple of beers.

Pole smiled as he took one of the drinks. “You always say that.”

“Yeah, well, when we get to sitting out here, you always fixate on that old car.”

“Guess I’m just thinking back to when we were kids. Remember how we used to play in it?”

“Sure do,” Terry chuckled. “You’d be in the driver’s seat, making ‘vroom, vroom’ noises, and Aurora would be under the hood with a toy tool kit, thinking she could fix the engine if only she had better tools.”

[spoiler]“Ashes to ashes, rust to rust,” Terry grinned as he emerged from the house with a couple of beers.

Pole smiled as he took one of the drinks. “You always say that.”

“Yeah, well, when we get to sitting out here, you always fixate on that old car.”

“Guess I’m just thinking back to when we were kids. Remember how we used to play in it?”

“Sure do,” Terry chuckled. “You’d be in the driver’s seat, making ‘vroom, vroom’ noises, and Aurora would be under the hood with a toy tool kit, thinking she could fix the engine if only she had better tools.”

“Yeah, and you’d be trying to tell us it was a spaceship, not a car, and how we would never get to Mars if we insisted it was a car,” Pole laughed.

“I refuse to stifle my imagination,” Terry replied.

The car in question was Terry’s grandfather’s old 1956 Hudson Hornet. For some reason, the old man had never got rid of it, even after it was replaced by a brand-new 1962 Mercury; which, in turn, had been replaced by a 1969 Chevy. The Mercury and the Chevy were long gone, but the Hudson remained, quietly rusting away near the tractor shed.

“What’s Aurora up to now?” Terry asked. “Did you ever find out?”

“Nope,” Pole replied. “Never did. That detective wasn’t very good, I guess.”

Pole winced slightly at the lie, but in the fading light of the day, Terry didn’t notice. In fact, the detective had found Aurora, and had given her information to Pole, but Pole hadn’t yet used it. On the one hand, it would be great to re-establish contact with his sister, especially now that their father was dead; but on the other, would she really want to reconnect with home, where she was hurt so badly?

Later that night, after he had left Terry’s, Pole sat alone with a mug of coffee at his kitchen table and thought about Aurora. Officially named Aurora Borealis McCandless, she was his only sibling; his older sister, older by two years. She had an unusual name, but one that their parents had liked so much that family lore said that had Pole been a girl, he would have been named Aurora too, only with the middle name of “Australis.” As it was, Pole arrived in this world a boy and had received his own unique name: Polaris Ursus McCandless. But to most people, he was simply “Pole.”

Nobody knew why the McCandless kids received such unusual names. Their parents never said. But their names were just about the only unusual things about Aurora and Pole. For the most part, their childhoods were pretty normal for kids growing up in a small town. School, playing with friends, riding their bikes the short distance out of town to Terry’s family’s farm, where they could swim in the creek or help take care of the animals or play in the old Hudson. Their mother was a housewife; their father worked at the mill. A very normal, very happy, childhood.

Problems arose as time passed, though. Their father, who normally came home after work, started joining his workmates for a beer after work. Then it was two beers, then three, and on up to six or ten. He would habitually come home late and drunk and angry, and proceed to take out his anger on his wife and son. But never Aurora.

No, never Aurora, Pole reflected from his seat at the kitchen table. For Aurora, who had grown into a beautiful teenage girl, their father had a special treat. And she would get it, later that night in her bedroom, after the family was supposedly asleep. But Pole was awake and heard it, and so did their mother. And nobody said a word.

Their mother had died when Aurora was 16. Things got a little better after that, but soon soured again: Pole was now the recipient of all his father’s drunken anger, and Aurora was the recipient of all her father’s drunken lust. Pole still heard it, late at night; and though he hadn’t been to church in years, he prayed for his sister. He had tried to speak with Aurora about it, but she either refused to talk, or she would tell Pole that there was nothing that could be done. If she ran away to a friend’s, their father would come after her; if she told a teacher or somebody at school, they couldn’t do much; and if she told the police in their small town, well, they were among their father’s drinking buddies anyway, so they wouldn’t believe her.

Thus it was no surprise to Pole when, the morning of her 18th birthday, Aurora wasn’t there. Pole instinctively knew that she hadn’t gone out on some errand or something that would have her back soon; she was gone for good.

And indeed, Aurora hadn’t been heard from since. Their father had initially called friends and relatives, to see if Aurora had gone to stay with them; and when those inquiries turned up nothing, had called the police. They sympathized, but informed him that as a legal adult of 18, Aurora had the right to do as she pleased.

And Pole had suffered his father’s habitual drunken wrath alone, until he could go away to school, which he did; and then he moved to the big city to work. Contact between Pole and his father had been sporadic after that, and was usually limited to phone calls involving birthday and holiday greetings. When he got a call saying that his father had died, Pole returned to clean up his father’s affairs and ended up staying. He re-established links with his old friends, like Terry; and got a job that didn’t pay quite as well as his big city one did; but then, the cost of living was lower too, so it all evened out.

Pole looked at his now-empty coffee mug. Did Aurora know their father had died? He had wondered that often in the ten years since his father’s death. Not that there was any other reason to contact her—their father had left precious little to his children, having drank most of what would become his estate. But, Pole realized, he simply wanted to get in touch with his sister again. Pole had genuinely cherished his sister’s company years ago, and he missed her; and if she didn’t know about their father, well, maybe she should.

Pole put his coffee mug in the sink, and got the information that he had paid the detective to find from its place in his desk drawer.

The coffee shop was busy on a weekday morning, but not overly so. Pole had been able to get some coffee, and find a table among the newspaper readers and the laptop browsers. He had no such distractions, but he kind of wished he did. He was a little nervous, and having something to do with his hands might have made him feel better. As it was, he toyed with his paper cup and watched the door.

He knew her immediately when she walked in. Years had passed, and they were both older, but there was no mistaking Aurora. She headed for the counter, but she noticed Pole as he stood up, and headed over.

“Pole?” she asked hesitantly. “Is that you?”

“Aurora. Yes. Umm … hello.” Unsure of what one did in such a situation, Pole extended his right hand.

Aurora took it and they shook. “Hello,” she said. “Ah … how are you?”

“Fine … good … you know,” Pole stammered. “And you?”

“Yes … good also,” Aurora replied nervously. “Listen, let me get some coffee, and we’ll talk.”

“Sure, yes,” Pole replied, glad of the chance to sit down again.

Aurora returned with some coffee. “I didn’t think we’d ever see each other again.”

Pole sidestepped the implied question. “Do you know about Dad?”

“Yes, I heard,” Aurora replied. “A friend who has a co-worker who has family back home showed me the death notice from the local paper.”

“Oh.” Pole said sadly. “That was kind of the purpose of my trip.”

“But Pole, Dad died years ago. Why did you wait so long to find me and tell me?”

“I didn’t think you wanted to be found,” Pole said. “I thought you just wanted all contact broken.”

“I did. But I also missed you, Pole.”

“So why did you never contact me?” Pole asked. “You knew where I was.”

“Because Dad was there too,” Aurora said, looking away. “Then after Dad died, I was too busy with a husband and work and such, and never got around to it.”

“A husband? You got married?”

“Yes,” Aurora said wryly, “to the sweetest, most wonderful man imaginable, whom I cherished. And who, as it turned out, would have a midlife crisis involving a blonde in her early twenties. So … no more husband.”

Pole smiled. “No slouch you,” he commented. “Any kids?”

“No,” Aurora said a little regretfully. “Just me. And my cat. What about you?”

It is not an easy thing to catch up on a period of years in only a few days, especially when one of the parties has to go to work, but the two siblings managed. First in the coffee shop, then over dinners, and even on Aurora’s lunch breaks, Pole and Aurora reconnected. Aurora related what she had done after leaving, and while the cheap rooms and lousy jobs didn’t sound very appealing to Pole, he was glad to hear that it all turned out okay—Aurora ended up getting a good education, and was now quite respected in her field. For his part, Pole talked about what he had done, and how he had moved back after their father died, and how he still hung out with Terry, who now owned his family farm, complete with Hudson.

At that, Aurora laughed. “That old car! It’s still there?”

“Sure is,” Pole smiled. “Just the other day, we were talking about how we all used to play in it as kids.”

“’Vroom, vroom’,” Aurora teased.

“’I’d get this thing working if only I had better tools’,” Pole retorted playfully.

“’You guys, it’s a spaceship!’” Both siblings laughed.

When they had stopped laughing, Pole said, “Aurora, do you think you could ever find your way back home?”

“Pole, I can’t. I’ve got a good life here, and too many bad memories there.”

“Just for a visit. I know Terry would love to see you. And I’d like more time to catch up with you.”

“I’ve got to work, Pole. I’m not well-off; I didn’t get as much as you might think from my divorce settlement.”

“Aurora—“

“No,” Aurora said quietly. “I’m glad to be back in touch with you, Pole, and I hope we can stay in touch. But even a visit back home … no.”

“Think about it, Aurora. Promise me you’ll at least consider it.”

Aurora was silent.

“Ashes to ashes, rust to rust.” It was a few weeks later, and Terry grinned as he sipped his beer and spoke his favourite line.

Pole smiled. “You need new material.”

“Well, you’re looking at the Hudson again. Look at something else and I’ll come up with a new line.”

Pole laughed. “Okay, how about I look at that car coming up the driveway?”

“Huh? I’m not expecting anybody.”

“Well, there it is,” Pole pointed. A car was indeed coming up Terry’s driveway.

“Nope, never seen it before.”

The two men watched the car as it pulled up near the old Hudson. The driver’s door opened and a woman emerged. She pointed to the Hudson and called out, “You know, I could get this old thing working again if only I had better tools.”

“Aurora!” Pole shouted happily, and ran out to greet his sister.
[/spoiler]
Author -

Spoons

Smooth, cinnamon-bronze curves glistened in Santiago’s morning sunlight - sex on wheels. Each man, entering the factory grounds that morning, felt his crotch tingle. Overhead, a billboard seduced with the promise: ‘Powered to out-perform them all’.

Mickey Cherish could not take his eyes off the 1957 Hudson Hornet 8. A true all American classic. For the past month not one beer, not one female touched his salivating lips. Through all those long, humid nights, all his energy centred on sweating out ideas and designs for the packaging company he worked for. He checked the time on his wristwatch. In less than two hours, at nine o’clock, management would give the results for the winner of the competition.

[spoiler]Smooth, cinnamon-bronze curves glistened in Santiago’s morning sunlight - sex on wheels. Each man, entering the factory grounds that morning, felt his crotch tingle. Overhead, a billboard seduced with the promise: ‘Powered to out-perform them all’.

Mickey Cherish could not take his eyes off the 1957 Hudson Hornet 8. A true all American classic. For the past month not one beer, not one female touched his salivating lips. Through all those long, humid nights, all his energy centred on sweating out ideas and designs for the packaging company he worked for. He checked the time on his wristwatch. In less than two hours, at nine o’clock, management would give the results for the winner of the competition.

Walking over to the car, he ran a trembling hand down into the cleft of the ‘V’ emblem on the side. His breath escaped in a hiss between his gapped front teeth, “I must win.”

An hour later, Mickey stood behind his work bench in the design sector. Rolling up his sleeves so as to keep an eye on his wristwatch, he read the brief of his first job. Redesign a box of tampons to be less conspicuous. Examining the product, it took ten minutes to find the problem. Taking a metal ruler, he first measured the brand logo and then the typeset used for the health warning not to flush used contents.

He worked for over an hour, checking each measurement with his calculator before reproducing them on paper. Satisfied, he took a sheet of recyclable card and drew the precise shape of a cube. Not for him the habitually time wasting methods his co-workers used making several prototypes before producing results.

At the cutting station the other end of the room, Mickey slid the card into one of the slots and switched on the small, circular saw. A movement at one of the push doors made him glance up.

Warm stickiness followed the sound of buzzing in his ears. Confused, he looked down and saw the darkening tip of his right index finger.

He sucked in a deep breath at the realization that his fingertip lay separated from the rest of him. He felt a swift, burning pain flood his hand, all the way up to his elbow. “What the fucx. What the fucx!”

“Hey, man, what’s happened?” 

“It’s my fucxing finger, man.”  Mickey stared at the guy’s pony tail as he bent to take a look.    

“No shit. I can see it.’ The guy stood up, wide-eyed. “You better go to Jolene in the office.”

Mickey cradled his hand like it were a new born baby, blood staining the blue cotton weave of his sleeve purple. “But they’ll announce -”

“I’ll take the other bit of your finger; maybe it can be stuck back.”

As Mickey entered the office, the secretary took one look at the dripping blood and dry heaved.    

Mickey gritted his teeth.  “Jolene, just call the paramedics, will ya.”

Pressing her pink glossed lips together, Jolene jabbed the numbers into the switchboard.

Inside the ambulance, the paramedics put his severed digit into an ice box, wrapped his bleeding hand in gauze before telling him to keep it raised over his head.

Mickey felt light-headed by the time they wheeled him into emergency, yet his thoughts remained on the competition and the Hudson Hornet.

The surgeon examined the puckered fingertip. Poked and prodded the crimpled edges of what was left of Mickey’s index finger and shook his head.  “It will be impossible to reattach. The serrated flesh and capillaries are far too damaged to make an attempt feasible.”

A blonde nurse stayed to wrap his right hand in a wad of bandaging. She said, “You won’t miss it at all, and once the nerve endings become desensitized, you won’t feel it either. Just take the prescriptive painkillers and soon it will be like it never happened.”

“But can I still drive?”

The nurse said, “Sure, when it’s healed.”

She called him a taxi and presented him with his amputated digit in a specimen jar. She laughed, “A souvenir.”

Back at his one room apartment, Mickey sat down on the brown faux leather sofa, set the jar on the coffee table and called the factory on his mobile.

“Ultimate Designs, how can I help you?” Jolene’s husky telephone voice breathed into his ear.

“It’s me, Mi-Mi- Mic-Key.” His left hand gripped the phone tighter, hating to say his name. “I’m out of the hospital and have to go to the doctors but I should return in seven days. Who won the car?”

“Well, I don’t rightly know who won the competition, or if anyone has. But I’ll tell Mr Leigemann that you’re off sick. You take care now, rest that hand. ‘Bye.”

Mickey stared at the mobile before dropping it on the sofa. “Who won the fucxing car?”

He sat thinking about the car for hours until his knee twitched and knocked the coffee table, sending the specimen jar rolling. He picked it up, staring at the swollen flesh floating inside. He could see the finger nail peeling off the nail bed. Part of the white knuckle – his knuckle – poked through the curled edges of ripped skin. He shook the jar as if it were a snow globe, making sloshing sounds broken by the dull tap of bone connecting with glass. All that empty space surrounding a two centimetre long partial digit. Mickey wondered if he could come up with a better design in which to house his souvenir. He plonked the jar on his desk and switched on the computer, forgetting the competition.

A week later, Mickey returned to work with his injury encased in a plastic finger tube and bandage. The billboard remained in place but the car was nowhere to be seen.

“Hey dude, how’s it going?” Pony-tail guy gave Mickey a hearty slap on the back.

“Is okay but will be better when I can do things with my right hand again.”

Pony-tail guy winked and nodded, “Say no more, man.”

Mickey punched in his time card and asked about the car. “Did you hear who won the competition?”

“Yeah, floor manager did. He came up with this awesome idea, if we use less ink and frame brands and text in clear space instead of colour, its going to save the company thousands each year.”

Mickey could feel his face heat up. “No!”

“Hey, chill, man, the best idea won, right.”

Giving him the finger with his left hand, Mickey stormed up to the floor manager’s office.

“Mr S- St…” He spat and sputtered as he worked his mouth, forcing himself to say the floor manager’s name, “Kkkkeric-c-c-io, you stole my ideas to win the car.”

Mr Kericio sprung up from his chair and closed the door. “Mickey, what makes you think I stole your idea?”

“It’s obvious; the elimination of using coloured backgrounds in designs is my idea. It was on my bench when I had the accident and I shall prove it to management.”

Mr Kericio scratched the bald spot on his scalp and blustered for several seconds in denial. Then, throwing his hands up, he stumbled back into his chair, wiping his forehead. “Alright, it’s true. I took your idea.”

Mickey scowled and balled his left hand into a fist, “You s-s- pig.”

“Wait a minute, hear me out.” Mr Kericio exhaled, turned to his desk drawer and took out a photo of the Hudson Hornet. “I got this kid, see. With Downs Syndrome, thirty seven years old he is and all he raves about is this car ever since he saw the Disney film.”

Mickey lowered his fist but remained standing where he was.

“I got him a scale model and that worked fine for a while but he wanted to be able to sit in it, feel the wind in his face. What’s a dad to do, huh? I don’t make enough money at this plant to go out and buy a Hudson classic so when this competition came up I thought I’d have a chance. That is until I saw your design.”

“So you stole my idea and faux up my dream of being someone?”

“No, Mickey, I was going to share the car with you. Honest. After the excitement went down and the newspapers gone, I was going to take my son for a ride he’d never forget. Planned on taking him to the mountains to show him the auroras next month and after that, the car would be yours.”

“Yeah, I bet.”

Mr Kericio looked up and Mickey saw his cheeks were wet from silent tears.

“I swear its all true, Mickey, I swear it.”

Mickey considered the man before him and came up with an idea. “You may have the car for now, Mr Kericio but only on one condition.”

“Anything, Mickey, you name it.”

“I want you to come to my apartment after you return from seeing the auroras next month and help me with some new designs.”

“Really?” Mr Kericio held Mickey’s good hand and would have kissed it if Mickey hadn’t snatched it away. “I’ll do it. I’ll help you with anything you need.”

Mickey returned home that evening feeling happier for the first time in his life since his mom blew her brains out. Switching on the computer, he googled surgical ordering sites and also found a large empty basement with a garage.

It wasn’t long before Mickey moved into his new home and began designing a compact operating theatre. His orders of various packages went straight to the factory where he siphoned off what he could and began printing up leaflets with the words: ‘Congratulations, you’ve won. Here is your prize.’

The internet supplied him with lists of worthy winners and he spent the nights planning and dreaming about how infamous he would become.

With the Hudson Hornet safe in his garage, Mickey bought in beer for the occasion. That first time, without roofies, Mr Kericio put up a struggle. Mickey overdosed a little on the chloroform and made a hack job of his guest’s little finger. Still, first time for everything and it didn’t look that bad once he seared the open wound with the flame of a gas hob lighter.

He watched all the news stations religiously for a week until he caught it.

“A sixty-year-old woman in North Virginia suffered a heart attack when she opened her toothpaste packet. A blackened finger tip plopped right out into her pristine white sink. The police found a leaflet inside the packet and are baffled about the nature of this crime. They hope this is not the beginning of a new crime wave to hit the region.”

Mickey rocked in his sofa, giggling. “You see, Mr Pig, I design and you are famous. Well, bits of you soon will be the most famous body in history.” Turning off the television, Mickey strolled over to where the naked and gagged Mr Kericio lay strapped on the operating table. “What shall we do this time, maybe a thumb, yeah?”
[/spoiler]

Author -

perception

Danielle,
No, I’m not okay, but thanks for asking. There’s really nothing you could do to help me anyway. Remember how I told you that I had buried a lot of memories, that I was really drinking to forget…? Sometimes the simplest things can cause those memories to come back and pull you back to that time. Not all memories that we bury are horrible, like a car crash or the death of a loved one; sometimes we bury our happiest times, the ones we cherish most, because we can’t bear to think about what we’ve lost.

[spoiler]Danielle,
No, I’m not okay, but thanks for asking. There’s really nothing you could do to help me anyway. Remember how I told you that I had buried a lot of memories, that I was really drinking to forget…? Sometimes the simplest things can cause those memories to come back and pull you back to that time. Not all memories that we bury are horrible, like a car crash or the death of a loved one; sometimes we bury our happiest times, the ones we cherish most, because we can’t bear to think about what we’ve lost.

In this case, the thing that triggered the memory was a car show on the outskirts of town. For the most part, it featured muscle cars and as you know, I’ve always loved muscle cars; even back I was a kid, I always chose the Chevelles and Mustangs and 'Cudas among my toy cars. There were some older cars at this show, though, and one of them was an old Hudson Hornet. I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this, you always knew me better than anyone. It wasn’t an exact duplicate of the one I drove back when I was a teen; different color, I think a different year, but for the most part close enough to stir things up in my brain. You know, the one I used to take Bridgette up to Cedarville to see the auroras on clear nights.

“It’s a chickmobile,” she would tease, knowing that I only wanted to be with her. I used to tease back, saying “I try to limit myself to three chicks per week,” and she’d laugh, and that was the most beautiful sound in the universe to me at the time. It drove me to make more and more jokes, to try to evoke that laughter again, to see a genuine smile on that face. There are so many small details I remember about her…! How she would blush anytime I complimented her in any way, and smile and look away; how she would habitually twirl her hair with her fingers when she was nervous; how she nearly cried the first time we kissed. This was my first true love.

Nothing could have prepared me. Nothing. Who could possibly know? It was a late November night when she was reported missing. She was supposed to have been visiting her Grandparents in Iowa, and when she didn’t show up, her family obviously went into a panic, as did I. Several weeks of searching turned up nothing, not even a trace. She was just gone. Everyone had their own ideas about what happened, everything from abduction to her running away to her being murdered. To this day, no one has been able to make sense of what happened. Over ten years now, and there’s no closure, there’s no resolution.

To be honest, you remind me of her. It’s not just the resemblance (and you DO resemble her) but the mannerisms, the way you shy away and blush when I tell you you’re looking good today, how you twirl your hair with your fingers…and it makes me wonder…what do you think about going up to Cedarville with me this weekend?
[/spoiler]

**Author - **

Cuckoorex

The minute Mike walked into the room, he sensed Paul was having a bad day.

Perhaps it was the fact that Paul was sitting buck naked on the kitchen floor, surrounded by stacks of empty beer cans – sucked downed so quickly they were still cool to the touch. Of course, the real giveaway was the fact Paul was holding what appeared to be a rear view mirror in his left hand, looking at his genitals, and holding an Exacto knife in his right hand,

Paul looked up at Mike – well, one eye looked up at Mike and the other seemed to be rolling in a different direction - as he slurred, “Aurora…”

Mike had known Paul long enough to understand the language known as Pauldrunk.
Translated, “aurora” meant “how are ya?”

[spoiler]The minute Mike walked into the room, he sensed Paul was having a bad day.

Perhaps it was the fact that Paul was sitting buck naked on the kitchen floor, surrounded by stacks of empty beer cans – sucked downed so quickly they were still cool to the touch. Of course, the real giveaway was the fact Paul was holding what appeared to be a rear view mirror in his left hand, looking at his genitals, and holding an Exacto knife in his right hand,

Paul looked up at Mike – well, one eye looked up at Mike and the other seemed to be rolling in a different direction - as he slurred, “Aurora…”

Mike had known Paul long enough to understand the language known as Pauldrunk.
Translated, “aurora” meant “how are ya?”

Noticing the shaking hand holding the knife, Mike figured this was not a good time to make any sudden movements.

Mike nodded casually, “Fine. How’s it hangin’ with you?”

Mike realized that was probably a poor choice of words, given the situation, but it was the first phrase that came to mind.

Paul spit out his reply, “Habitually!”

Translation: “The bitch – Julie.”

Julie was Paul’s on again/off again girlfriend. Safe money said this was an “off-again” moment.

“Lover’s spat?” Mike said, slowly walking to the fridge to get himself a beer – it seemed like a good idea to have a drink at this point.

Paul’s head moved up and down, “Fuckin’ A.”

Oddly, that was a phrase Paul could say clearly at any stage of inebriation. .

Mike popped open the beer and, upon hearing the sound of a beer can open, Paul immediately dropped the knife and held his right hand out, Mike took this opportunity to quickly hand the beer to Paul while discretely used his foot to shove the Exacto knife under the pizza carton that was near the garbage bag.

While Paul was slowly trying to aim the can to his mouth, Mike opened another can of beer for himself and said, “So, uh, what happened?”
The conversation took about half an hour, with great concentration needed for translation.
It seems Julie had seen Paul using his tongue to search for vocal chords down a waitress’s throat at the local bar and was none too pleased. Words ensued, and then some flying glassware, followed by more words, a broken pool cue and then a bouncer escort Paul into the dumpster in the alley. Things were a bit confusing after that, but upon later climbing out of the dumpster and discarding his filthy clothes, Paul noticed that his beloved “Baby” - a 1956 Hudson Hornet - was no longer parked in the lot adjacent to the bar. Paul cherished that car – his grandfather had bought it new, off the lot for $2,568 back in the day. It was still in pristine condition.

Paul had staggered home – clothed only by darkness during the 15 block journey. Upon arrival home, Paul noticed a shiny object on the porch – the rear view mirror of a 1956 Hudson Hornet. Paul knew his beloved car had been kidnapped by a scorned, vengeful woman known as “habitually” – the bitch, Julie.

Mike didn’t ask about the knife and didn’t really want to know what plan was going through Paul’s head, in case a Grand Jury hearing was ever convened on the subject.
Mike had consumed five beers while interpreting the story of Paul’s adventure. He then left Paul to peacefully doze on the kitchen floor, sprawled widely in a vision of da Vinci’s study of proportions, assuming da Vinci’s model had Paul’s porn star endowment.
Mike was surprised to be awoken by a blood curdling scream and ran to the kitchen, expecting to see half of the endowment chopped off with that Exacto knife. Mike knew he should have hidden the knife better.

Instead, Paul was holding another shiny object and shaking with rage, anger and probably a bit of delirium tremens. It was a hubcap, and Mike was pretty sure it wasn’t an ordinary hubcap. Paul found it on the porch when he heard it crash against the door.

“The bitch, Julie, is chopping Baby up!”

Well, at least he was sober enough to pronounce “habitually” in normal English.
Anyone else could have simply called the police, reported the car stolen, given the suspect’s name and then the situation could have been handled somewhat civilly. Paul was not in that position. He had already reported the car stolen months ago; partly to avoid paying several hundred dollars in overdue parking fees, and partly because he needed the insurance money to take a quick trip to Vegas last year with habitually during one of their “on-again” periods. Thus, Paul could only search for the car himself, or perhaps get someone to help him. Mike suspected he was the likely candidate.
Now fully dressed, Paul waited for Mike to do the same and the two of them got into Mike’s less spectacular vehicle – a 1999 minivan Mike inherited from his Aunt Margaret. They went to the obvious first location; Julie’s house. No car, and despite Paul’s rather animated knocking on the door and a few rather loud, vocal requests to open up the damned door, there didn’t seem to be anyone at home. They were about to leave when Paul let out a scream that caused several neighbors to shut their blinds and retreat to back bedrooms. Paul had spied another, very large shiny object by the side of Julie’s house – the rear bumper of “baby”. Paul jumped out of the minivan, picked up the heavy bumper with no effort and put it in the back of the van. Part of it was sticking up into the front seat and Paul was slowly caressing the bumper. Mike knew there was a “rub yer baby buggy bumper” joke in there somewhere, but figured this was not the time for car part humor.
“Where to?” Mike asked, and Paul instantly said, “Back to the scene of the crime – the bar.”

Mike hoped this was in effort to find the car, but wouldn’t mind a quick hair of the dog right now. It looked like it was going to be a long day. They parked in the bar lot and again, Paul screamed and dashed towards the dumpster – finding the steering wheel leaned against it. He put it carefully into the minivan and Mike walked quietly away as he heard Paul sob a bit and kiss the steering wheel in a way that was creepily erotic.
Mike had ordered a beer and Paul had pulled himself together by the time he walked in and grabbed the beer, believing it was his. Mike ordered another and Paul went over to the bouncer who greeted him with a friendly, “Hey Paul – feeling better? We put your clothes in a bag.” The bouncer nodded towards a Hefty bag in the corner by the garbage.
“Where is she?” Paul said, less friendly.

The bouncer’s name was Chuck – he had done time in several prisons and knew the look in Paul’s eyes.

“Don’t know, man. She came back here later last night, had a few choice words for the waitress and then left here like a madwoman. Haven’t seen or heard from her since. Oh, she left you this.”

Chuck reached behind the bar and handed Paul a stick shift, “She said to give it to you, and you’d know where to put it.”

The bartender, Chuck and Mike all averted their eyes as Paul slowly stroked the stick shift in a way that few guys liked to see another guy move his hand, muttering, “I love you Baby…”

Mike figured it was time to go. He paid for both beers and led Paul out to the minivan.
“So, does she have any friends or family – some place she could be stashing the car and hiding out?”

Paul thought this over and then said, “To The Moon!”

The Moon was a nail salon owned by a Vietnamese woman named Moon. Julie would occasionally fill in when one of the employees would take a vacation or be out sick – usually because they got high as a kite from the fumes. Mike found a parking spot directly in front of the store. This was convenient as Paul loaded the four tires that were leaned against the wall of The Moon out front. Mike figured due to Paul’s state of mind, it would be better for him to go in and ask Moon if she knew where Julie might be.
When asked, Moon answered, “Paw As O”

It was easier to understand Pauldrunk than to understand Moon, but eventually Mike pieced together that “Paul is an asshole” was the crux of Julie’s message, but Moon had no idea where Julie had gone. Mike saw one of the workers wink at him and, after a $5 tip, she said that Julie might be hungry and going to Singin’ In The Grain – a vegetarian karaoke restaurant.

Once there, Mike went in to see if Julie were there while Paul loaded the left front fender of his car into the minivan – it had been leaning by the bike rack out front. Julie had not eaten there, but stopped by to sing a few songs. Mike had heard Julie sing. She had a voice that sounded like gravel in a blender, but damn, she could really carry a tune. The manager mentioned Julie was in a hurry to get to her hair appointment. Paul knew where Julie had her hair done – at the Do Or Dye on 3rd Street.
It was becoming a routine. Mike went in to see about Julie while Paul found yet another piece of his car – this time the hood of the car – and was struggling to fit it into the minivan. Space was becoming a premium.

No Julie in the hair salon, but again – another lead.

In the next three hours, they hit four more locations and the minivan was full, plus Paul had strapped some pieces onto the top, held by duct tape he bought when, on another tip, they went to the 98 Cent Store. No Julie there either, but Paul was able found the muffler to the car sticking out of a box of plastic swim worm doodles placed out front.

While driving down Elm Street, Mike felt the car start to lean decidedly to the left. Fearing it would tip over, he suggested going back to Paul’s to unload some of this before continuing this mad scavenger hunt.

“Stop!” Paul yelled and Mike did, thinking there was a cement truck or something about to careen into the minivan.

“There she is!” Paul said and took off running down the street.

No longer able to see using his rear view mirror, Mike glanced at the passenger side mirror to see Paul running fast enough to qualify for Jr. Varsity track and catch up with Julie. Mike could only see the body language – Julie dropping what appeared to be the trunk of a Hudson Hornet, Paul picking it up, Julie kicking Paul in the nuts, Paul letting the trunk fall, Julie kicking again, Paul holding her foot, Julie falling on top of Paul, Paul kissing Julie, Julie kissing Paul.

A month later, there was no more mention of “habitually”. Everything was “on-again”. Baby had been re-assembled and looked none the worse for wear. Julie even helped – she had shown remarkable talent at dismantling Baby and she and Paul opened an auto body shop for exotic cars. Unfortunately, when the neon sign arrived, there was a typo. Still, Paul and Julie are doing gangbuster business at their “Auto Erotic Body Parts” shop
[/spoiler]

**Author - **

DMark

“It’s delicious. Absolutely incredible,” Julia purred. “What’s that taste? It’s tart… is it cranberry?”

“No, it’s pomegranate,” I paused. “So you like the cake?”

“Yes, it’s so different. Unique. It’ll be perfect for…”

“For your wedding.” I started packing up the rest of the sample cake for her to take home. We sat in silence as I assembled the box and slid the rest of the cake in.

Julia cleared her throat. “I’ve never had a pomegranate before.”

“Not much of Cleveland has. I’m sure your sister has, though. They’re quite popular in California.”

[spoiler]“It’s delicious. Absolutely incredible,” Julia purred. “What’s that taste? It’s tart… is it cranberry?”

“No, it’s pomegranate,” I paused. “So you like the cake?”

“Yes, it’s so different. Unique. It’ll be perfect for…”

“For your wedding.” I started packing up the rest of the sample cake for her to take home. We sat in silence as I assembled the box and slid the rest of the cake in.

Julia cleared her throat. “I’ve never had a pomegranate before.”

“Not much of Cleveland has. I’m sure your sister has, though. They’re quite popular in California.”

“Yeah, those hippies. She’ll be back for the wedding though. I haven’t seen her since she left a couple years ago. Half the class of ‘67 is living out west now.” Julia stopped. She wasn’t sure if I was one of “those hippies” or not. She knew I was back in Cleveland, but I hadn’t told her about the six years I’d been gone.

Back then, she was bored. She was tired of being a good girl, obeying her parents, preparing for college, learning to sew and cook and clean–the whole lot. She wanted to be a hippy and run off to the west coast, like her sister eventually would. She wanted to be an explorer and see the auroras at the North Pole. She wanted to be an artist, eating brie in Paris. She wanted out of Cleveland. But she knew, deep in her heart, she would probably never have the guts to go anywhere. I wanted to change that for her, if only she’d let me.

“No, I wasn’t a hippy. Do you think hippies can bake like this?” I tried to smile and make her smile. I loved her smile.

“I suppose not,” she chuckled. “Where did you learn to bake like that?”

“New Haven, Connecticut, at the Culinary Institute of America.” I couldn’t help but smile. Damn it, I was proud that I graduated from the CIA. It wasn’t a big school, and I sure wasn’t a doctor or a businessman like her fiancé, but I cherished that degree. Without it, I couldn’t have opened this bakery.

Julia leaned back in her chair, and let out a big breath. “Where did you go, Paul? When you left, where did you go?”

I closed the lid on the box. “All over, really, for a while. I took the Hornet and just drove for a while. California, Mexico, Canada … wherever, habitually driving till I didn’t want to drive anymore. Heck, I was living in that old girl for a while. Still have her; she’s parked outside.”

Julia laughed. “How many nights did we spend in that thing, watching movies and eating burgers? I love that old car.”

“Yeah, we had some good times.” We grew silent, both remembering the “good times” in high school, before her parents convinced her she was too good for me, before I grew to agree with them.

“Anyway,” I interjected, uncomfortable with the growing silence, “I ate such amazing food. It was so exciting, so different from anything here. I would get so consumed with what I was eating, that nothing else mattered. I didn’t care about where I was going to be sleeping the next night or how I was going to afford my next meal. And that’s when I decided I wanted to cook. So I set out for the East Coast. I didn’t know which school I would go to, but I knew the best ones were out there. After asking around, and sending in a few applications, long story short, I ended up at the CIA.”

“So why did you come back? There’s nothing here in Cleveland, trust me. Nothing but factories and bored housewives,” Julia said, slumping a little in her chair.

“Just because,” I muttered, standing up from the sampling table. I didn’t know where I was going, but I just couldn’t sit there any longer. I didn’t want to say something wrong. “Guess I missed home.”

“Come on, Paul. I know you didn’t miss home. You never loved Cleveland.” She stood up and stepped towards me. Julia put her hand on my shoulder. “Why did you come back?”

“Honestly?” I asked, as if asking permission to sin. I knew she wouldn’t want to hear what I had to say, and I didn’t want to be responsible for it.

“Honestly, Paul. Tell me.”

“I wanted you to taste this. I wanted to show you that there’s more to this world than getting your B.A. in nothing important and marring no one important. I wanted you to see that I am worth something, that your parents are wrong.”

She dropped her hand from my shoulder and stepped away. “You’re too late.”

“I know. I mean, Jesus, I’m baking your wedding cake. Trust me, I know.” I stepped toward the sampling table. I grabbed the box of cake and handed it to her. “I was still hoping you’d appreciate everything I did for you.”

Julia took the box, and stared at it. “Paul, I do appreciate it. I’m just still trying to understand it. I mean, you left me.”

“I asked you to come with me. You wouldn’t.”

She stepped towards the door. “I have to go. My fiancé is waiting for me to bring this to him at the office, and I need to go to the seamstress…” Julia shook the box. “But thanks for this. It’s delicious. I’m sure he’ll love it.”

“You’re welcome,” was all I could muster, but she was out the door by the time I managed to say it.

I walked over to the door and watched her walk through the parking lot. She paused as she walked past the Hornet. She reached into her pocketbook and pulled out a pad of paper and a pen. I wondered what she was writing on it, perhaps her phone number? An apology for the way she left things six years ago? She finished writing her note, slipped it into the open window, and walked off.

I needed to know what she wrote. I couldn’t wait. I ran to my car, threw the door open.

Thanks for the cake. I can’t wait to see the final product next month!
–Julia
[/spoiler]
Author -

Serenata67

Richard sighed as the Hornet cruised down the road. The sun was setting, and the energy patterns of every person in every car on the freeway seemed to blur and meld until it was a multicolored aurora, like the Northern lights come down from the sky.

For a moment, the vision made it hard for him to concentrate on where he was steering, and then the defense system kicked in and he was just looking at taillights ahead of him and headlights in the oncoming traffic, like any ordinary person would see.

“Is it bad?” Jessie asked him. “I could drive for a few hours.”

[spoiler]The onus of Grace

Richard sighed as the Hornet cruised down the road. The sun was setting, and the energy patterns of every person in every car on the freeway seemed to blur and meld until it was a multicolored aurora, like the Northern lights come down from the sky.

For a moment, the vision made it hard for him to concentrate on where he was steering, and then the defense system kicked in and he was just looking at taillights ahead of him and headlights in the oncoming traffic, like any ordinary person would see.

“Is it bad?” Jessie asked him. “I could drive for a few hours.”

“No, it’s fine now,” he assured her. “Just a bit of an overload of aura vision. I’ve turned it off for now.”

“Is it like that for you?” she asked, curiously. “Just a light switch? Or more like tuning out some distracting piece of music - you still hear it, but it isn’t as bad if you’re not paying attention?”

“I suppose, more than anything, it’s like a different eye that I can open or close inside my head,” Richard said after a moment.

“Eww, sounds a bit gross when you say it like that,” she kidded.

“Yeah, but the analogy works. I can still see close or strong auras faintly, like you can see the sun even when your eyes are closed. I can still sense your energy, faintly pink, and yet somewhat cool at the same time. But most of the rest of the people on the road, I can’t sense.”

“Okay, then - what does it mean, if somebody has an aura strong enough that you can sense it at a greater distance than anybody else?” Jessie continued. “Is there anybody else you’re picking up now?”

“Somebody who just passed us by,” he said, waving generally behind them and to the left. “Nobody else on this side of the highway.”

There was a silence for a long moment, as Jessie waited to see if he would answer the other side of her question, and Richard thought to himself about whether he would, and what kind of answer would be appropriate. As he considered, Richard stole a glance at Jessie out of the corner of his eye, without taking all of his focus off the road ahead of him. She was a short girl, at first sight looking younger than her twenty-four years, with curly hair in several shades of light brown. She was comfortable somewhere in the range between ‘slender’ and ‘not’, quiet without seeming withdrawn, and a joy could be seen in her eyes and on her face that was hard to describe very well.

She wasn’t a classic girl next door or quintessential beauty, but Richard cherished her with all of his heart. He wouldn’t be here, on the road, with her if he didn’t.

“Having a strong aura like that, it can mean a lot of things,” he told her slowly. “Sometimes in means somebody who just has a very forceful personality, or who has an unusual talent.”

“Like a musical genius, you mean?”

“Yes, or an intellectual genius, for that matter, or a highly trained and driven athlete.” There were some talents that Richard knew about that he wasn’t sure Jessie was ready to hear about yet, abilities that she would only know about from fictional stories and television shows, and he was glad that he’d been able to avoid mentioning them yet without either lying directly or making her suspicious. “Sometimes somebody will have a strong aura, not because of anything they are yet, but just because they have a significant destiny, because they’re inevitably going to be in the right place at the right time for something important.”

He took a deep breath. “And sometimes, when I can pick out an aura even at a great distance when I’m not trying, it’s not because of the strength of their aura itself, but between me and the Virtues.”

Jessie was silent for a long moment again, and he was starting to hope that she wouldn’t comment on that. “You mean, when somebody’s part of an assignment, somebody that you’re supposed to help or guide, their aura shines out to you more brightly than normal, that kind of thing?”

“Yeah, I guess it’s more like that than anything else.”

Again silence hung between them, but in this silence there were words, words that Richard imagined they were both thinking so hard he could hear them. ‘Like the next assignment that you didn’t report to get, because you fell in love with me and knew that the Virtues wouldn’t let us be together.’

He gasped as the two cars collided, feeling the sickening lurch of impact.

But a heartbeat later, they were still driving along, through the darkness and past the streetlights, and no sign of an accident anywhere else on the road. Had that been a precognitive vision, sent to him by ‘them’? Or just an ordinary nightmare, after he fell asleep at the wheel for a split second.

Yeah, right - like anything about him was normal.

“Listen, Jess,” he muttered, feeling his tongue dry in his mouth as he spoke, such an odd sensation.

“We should get off the highway for a little while, Richard,” she said. “There were signs for a rest stop motel, a few miles back. We’re probably nearly there. I’ve been trying to get some sleep so that I could spell you at the wheel, but I haven’t been able to relax.”

“No, that’s alright,” he told her, trying not to worry. After all, if the virtues really wanted to track him down, how much did it really matter how many miles they’d been able to drive away from Buffalo?

Not that it was hopeless. He was off the angelic radar, they couldn’t tune into him just by thinking about him, or Jess; he’d made sure of that much.

“Good,” Jess told him. “And a motel room has a few other - obvious advantages. I mean, we said that we loved each other, I’m running away from school, from my entire life, you’re leaving your mission and your superior angels, and here we haven’t even gotten further than first base.”

“I, umm, I know,” Richard admitted, feeling a blush covering his face. “About that, umm, never mind.”

“Are you sure?” she pressed softly. “You can tell me anything, Rich, I’m serious about that.”

“That means a lot to me,” he said, and took a deep breath. “Once we’re checked into the motel, okay?”

“Of course. No sense getting you worked up while you’re still driving.”

“Well, you’d better make a lane change,” she pointed out. “Or we’ll pass it by.”

“Oh, right.” Quickly he threw on the turn signal and checked his blind spot.

It didn’t take too long to get checked into room 42 at the Lake View Hotel, courtesy of a grandmotherly woman at the front desk who kept smiling at both of them in a tolerant but knowing way. Richard even insisted on carrying Jess in his arms as he stepped in through the doorway, though they weren’t newlyweds by any stretch of the word.

And his arms trembled, shaking the girl he loved as he recognized the forty-something man already sitting on the bed, inside the dark, locked room.

“What the hell are you doing here, James?” he asked as he set Jess back down and turned the light on.

“Come on, Richard,” Virtue James said as he stood up and offered Jessica a handshake. “You know why I’ve come. I suspect that what you’re truly wondering is how I found you.”

“Alright, how?” Jess asked, clutching at his hand and pulling it as hard as she could, nearly knocking the senior angel off balance despite her relatively light weight. (Of course, strictly speaking, James and Richard had no weight at all, but it seemed like they were as massive as comparable living men would be.)

“You thought of nearly everything - except for our precognitive gifts, Richard,” James told him. “Just as you have the ability to sense glimpses of the future for your assigned mortals, I can do the same for my own charges - and one of my charges is you. When you went absent without leave, I could tell that we would meet again, and I caught a glimpse of the where. I didn’t know that you would make it here this soon, actually, but I was quite prepared to wait.”

“What if somebody else booked the room first?” Jess asked him. “How would you have explained yourself?”

“Well, they wouldn’t necessarily have been able to see me here, and I would probably have backed off just a little to give them privacy, while staying close enough to spot Richard if he came to visit them. Fortunately, none of that was necessary.”

“Fortunate for you,” Richard grumbled, and pulled out a chair. James waited a moment for him to sit down, then caught the hint and took the chair himself. Jess sat on the bed herself, not quite in the spot that James had taken, and leaving a spot next to her for Richard to take, which he did, holding her hand in his. “So, what happens now? Do you send in the tall and brawny Seraphim to drag me off to my next assignment, whether I like it or not? And watch over me, to make sure that I don’t run away and find Jess again?”

“Come on, what kind of slave-driver outfit do you think we’re running?” James asked, with a slight smile. “No, on second thought, don’t answer that. But no - although I do wish that Miss Arlens and you hadn’t - fixated on each other, and we of the Hierarchy do everything that we can to make lower-level angels think that such relationships are impossible, we do have certain protocols that can be followed in these circumstances, at my discretion. I don’t want to put you in a position where you resent your work, or have any reason to give less than one hundred percent to the mission.”

Richard and Jess looked into each other’s eyes and took a moment to digest that. “Alright, keep talking,” Jess prompted. “What exactly do these protocols mean?”

“Richard keeps taking missions,” James told them both flatly. “But as long as the two of you want to remain… involved, we’re not going to do anything to drive you apart. I’ll make every allowance for it I can, whether that means centralizing Richard’s work in the Buffalo area, or wherever else you may want to settle down, Jessica - or expediting his travel to see you, or facilitating your travelling with him as he does his work, even giving you a cover or alias.”

“I see,” Richard said, thinking of that. It didn’t seem like a bad alternative, compared to what else he’d been thinking of, but… “And if that’s the carrot, what’s the stick? What if I refuse to work missions regardless?”

"Then, James told him coldly, standing up, “it is out of my hands. You were blessed by the almighty with his grace, Richard, and sent down to Earth to do His work. If you refuse, well… then I think it is likely you will not remain upon the Earth for much longer. I’m not entirely sure what that means. Nor do I want to.”

James habitually pulled folders from the inside pocket of his blue overcoat and tossed them down on tables. He indulged that habit now. “Here’s the dossier on your next assignment, Richard. You’ll have to turn around in the morning - he’s back in Hamburg. Oh, and do me a favor and go back on the grid once you start work, okay? I’d like to be able to keep an eye on this job.”

And with that, James the Elder strode out of the room and into the night.
[/spoiler]
**Author - **

chrisk

“Ben, I need you to drive me to Aurora,” Frankie said, not realizing he was about to ruin both our lives with his request that fated day off from school.

“Hmm?” I’d been in the middle of pouring imitation maple syrup onto a stack of microwave pancakes. No one else was home, and I’d failed home ec. “I thought we were going to go see a horror movie tonight.”

He attacked his own pancakes with a knife. “I don’t mean tonight, I mean today. Now.”

[spoiler]“Ben, I need you to drive me to Aurora,” Frankie said, not realizing he was about to ruin both our lives with his request that fated day off from school.

“Hmm?” I’d been in the middle of pouring imitation maple syrup onto a stack of microwave pancakes. No one else was home, and I’d failed home ec. “I thought we were going to go see a horror movie tonight.”

He attacked his own pancakes with a knife. “I don’t mean tonight, I mean today. Now.”

“I don’t know…” Aurora was way up in Maine, and even worse you had to drive through Alfred with its ridiculous 25 mile in hour speed limit. My dad had fumed about that when we brought Julianne up to the U-Maine campus in Gorham. “It’s awfully far.”

“Aww, come on, Ben. I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t important. It’s not like I can drive myself,” he pointed out. That was true, he was only fourteen.

“What the heck do you need all the way up there?” I asked, still not really considering whether or not I was actually going to make the trek. Frankie was a good friend, but we were talking about a trip of three and a half hours. Each way. I wouldn’t admit it to him, but the thought of a long drive made me nervous because I’d only had my license nine months.

He wouldn’t look at me, which was a bad sign. “I promised my grandpa Osgood that I’d get something for him there.”

“Why would he ask you to do that? He ought to know you can’t drive, so you’d have to rope someone else into it.”

“Please?” Frankie was beginning to look a little desperate, and that worried me. Almost as if reading my mind, he said, “It’s nothing illegal, but no one else is home today.”

“Well great. I’m flattered that you asked because I’m home.”

“Do you have anything better planned for the day?”

Not really. I was just glad to be out of school. The only reason I was talking to Frankie at nine in the morning was because he’d slept over the night before.

Against my better judgment, I found myself agreeing to the drive. “Maybe I should run it by my mom-”

“Don’t. What’s that saying, it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission? She might say no.”

That should have made me more cautious, but it didn’t. Next thing I knew, we were piling into the 2000 Camry that was nominally my sister’s, but really mine to use for the year because freshmen weren’t supposed to have cars on campus.

“This thing really doesn’t have a cd player?” Frankie asked, peering at the dashboard.

“Really. The radio’s good, though.” If it had really been my car, I’d of saved up for one.

A familiar voice began to coo as soon as he turned the radio on. “Give me faith. Give me joy, my boy, I will always-”

Frankie flicked the dial, and muttered, “Great, soccer Mom music.” Over the next thirty seconds I heard parts of a dozen different songs, like an annoying game of Name That Tune. Eventually he stopped on something he didn’t hate. “That’s more like it.” Frankie sang along with the guy rapping, “Late night sex, so wet, you’re so tight…”

I cringed, imagining what Julianne would say if she heard those words coming out of the speakers of her car. She was majoring in Women’s studies, and had lost her sense of humor.

The drive didn’t seem to take as long as I thought it would, and I gradually came to realize that Frankie’s habitual stream of talk was doing what he wanted: keeping me from asking what the hell we were doing. Eventually we stopped for gas (I made him pay) and there was a break in his chatter long enough for me to ask, “What exactly are we going to do in Aurora?”

“Uh, I told you, we need to get something,” he said evasively.

“Yeah, I got that. What sort of something? And where?”

“It’s in an impound lot.”

“An impound lot?” I asked, growing alarmed. I’d seen movies that had junkyards in them, and they always seem to contain dogs with a taste for human flesh.

“Don’t worry, Ben. My grandfather owns the lot. We won’t get in any trouble.”

“Is there a dog?” I asked, picturing one with teeth bared.

“Nah, he doesn’t keep a dog.”

“If this is his business, I don’t see why he can’t go and get whatever it is himself.”

“He’s not there right now.”

“Oh yeah, where is he then?” I asked, feeling clever. What I didn’t expect was what Frankie said next.

“Do you believe in time travel?”

I figured he was just changing the subject. I supposed that it didn’t matter where his grandfather was, since we were almost to Aurora by that point anyway. “No, not really. I’ve read some stuff about how it’s not really possible because of time paradoxes.”

“But if it was real, when do you think you’d want to go in time?”

The idea of seeing myself in the future came to mind. Being forty, maybe, and seeing if my wife was hot, how many kids I had, and if Julianne ever became bearable to hang out with again. “A couple decades into the future, see how my life is turning out.”

“There isn’t a time in the past you’d like to revisit?”

“I don’t know, maybe. There are a couple of Christmases when I was a kid that I wouldn’t mind experiencing again. Why do you ask?” Even though I mostly had my eyes on the road, I could see his expression change. That desperation that had been on his face when he’d practically begged me to bring him up to Maine was back. “Are you all right, Man?”

“He’s in 1956.” Frankie said so quietly he was hard to hear.

“Whatever,” I grumbled. “If you don’t want to tell me what this secret mission is about, fine. But don’t screw with me.”

“I mean it,” he insisted with an alarming intensity.

“Yeah, sure.”

“When we get there, you’ll see.”

“What, are you going to show me his time machine?” I asked, starting to laugh. I stopped when I realized that I had accidentally hit on the right answer. “Oh God, don’t tell me we’ve driven all this way so you can show me a fucking time machine.”

For the longest time Frankie didn’t say anything. Not for miles and miles. I thought about turning around the moment I realized that he had the crazy idea that his grandfather was able to time travel, but by that point Aurora was only ten or fifteen miles away.

Since Frankie wasn’t talking, and I’m too prone to day dreaming – at least according to my dad, since he tells me to pay more attention every time we’re in the car together – I let myself imagine what it’d be like if Frankie’s grandfather really was in 1957 right then. I sort of knew what people dressed like back then, so I imagined him putting on a suit and stealing a hat from a hipster before getting into his fabulous machine. You know, so he’d blend in. I figured that all the women would look like Donna Reed, and everyone would whistle as they walked. The kids would be well scrubbed and wholesome, and you could pick out the bad guys by their slicked back hair and black leather jackets-

“There, up ahead.” Frankie’s voice sounded raspy, and I wished I’d bought a soda when we’d stopped for gas. His index finger pointed at a sign that said “Osgood’s Salvage.”

I pulled in, and there wasn’t anyone around. “Where do we park?”

“Over by the office.” So I did, and we were the only car there.

“So now what?” I asked, climbing out of the car. Peering into the yard, I realized that my sister’s car looked a little out of place here. Most every other vehicle in the lot had been made before my parents were my age.

“We’re looking for a car.”

I followed him into the yard. “What sort of car? There are dozens here.”

“It’s the only one of its kind, he promised. It’s a Hudson Hornet.”

“A what?” I knew a fair amount about cars, but I’d never heard of that one before.

“A Hornet. They made 'em for a while during the fifties.”

“Naturally. You said he hopped back to 1956, so that makes sense. Does he need a Dodge Charger to get to the late 60s?” I asked, thinking of old reruns I’d watched with my sister when we were little.

Frankie shook his head. “It doesn’t work that way.”

“Then how does it work?” I asked, trying to keep up with him as he walked by car after car. I had no idea what a Hornet looked like, so I was just looking for cars that might look like the old Chevy my aunt restored. Somehow, though, I didn’t think it would be powder blue. Hornet sounded more like earth tones to me.

“Hey, there it is.” Frankie said, point to a car a few hundred yards away. It stood next to an old VW microbus with yawning doors.

I grabbed his arm before he ran off. “If the car’s here, and if it’s his time machine, he can’t be back in the 50s, can he?” I asked, hoping that he was going to laugh and tell me that the time machine thing had all been a big joke, and we were just supposed to take something out of the office here.

He went still. “If it’s here, then he’s back.”

“Frankie, what are we supposed to take out of this ‘time machine’ exactly?”

Instead of answering, he pulled a sheet of paper out of his pocket. “Him. He left me this letter, saying to let him out today, October 18th, 2010.”

“Out of the car?”

“Out of the trunk. That’s where you sit when you time travel.”

Of course.

Frankie held something up. “He left me this key and this letter before he left six months ago.”

“Great…” In another second or two we were standing at the rear of an unremarkable old car whose paint was coming off. Osgood’s machine didn’t look special. It was no Delorean, that was for sure.

I watched silently as Frankie unlocked the trunk, but I was standing back a ways so I couldn’t see in at first, which is why I was surprised when he moaned “Oh no” and collapsed to his knees.

“Frankie?” I looked over the top of his lowered head. The inside of the trunk contained a whole mess of electronics. And a desiccated corpse curled on its side. “Is that…” I didn’t finish. Of course it was grandpa Osgood.

“He must have gotten stuck in there,” Frankie said before dry heaving. “No safety release thingie in old trunks.”

I realized then that Frankie thought the dead man had been locked in the car for six months. That didn’t make sense, though, not from what I’d learned at the museum and from watching CSI. It took a lot longer than that to make a mummy.

“It didn’t work, oh God, poor Grandpa…” Frankie rocked back and forth, holding his head.

Looking past the body, I noticed two things in the trunk. The first was a newspaper, looking brand new, that said it was from October 1st, 1957. The other was a series of numbers that I eventually realized made up a date. The date was October 18th, 2000. He’d misdialed.

I dragged Frankie back to my car, and called the cops. It took hours before we could go home.

Officially the cause of death was listed as an accident, the basic assumption being he’d been trapped in there for six months. Which was fine, if you didn’t think too hard about that misdialed date.

[/spoiler]
**Author - **

elfkin477

It was late afternoon as he cleared the ridge and saw the valley below him. There were ten or twelve houses, all looking like pre-fab jobs that had been helicoptered in. It was hard to put his finger on what exactly it was convinced him, but there were signs all over that it had been long abandoned. That wasn’t that unusual - there were lots of mining companies this far north that would just cut their losses and run when a find didn’t pan out. Worse still, there were the ones that went completely broke, leaving everyone scrambling to get out on the last flight.

[spoiler]It was late afternoon as he cleared the ridge and saw the valley below him. There were ten or twelve houses, all looking like pre-fab jobs that had been helicoptered in. It was hard to put his finger on what exactly it was convinced him, but there were signs all over that it had been long abandoned. That wasn’t that unusual - there were lots of mining companies this far north that would just cut their losses and run when a find didn’t pan out. Worse still, there were the ones that went completely broke, leaving everyone scrambling to get out on the last flight. Odds were good that those houses might still hold some useful stuff. Despite the apparent desolation, he kept a wary eye out in case there was some straggler holed up in town, waiting to take a pot shot at a stranger.

His stride was completely silent.  He habitually walked without noise - his food supply depended on his stealth.  It wasn't that he packed lightly; it was that everything of the fifty pounds he carried served at least two functions and was wrapped carefully in furs so that nothing rattled.  His 3 knives were all balanced for throwing, the piece of flat stone as big as his hand doubled as a whetstone and a cooking surface, his spool of fishing line also served to make deadly snares for wildlife.  He took a piece of jerky from one of his many pockets chewed slowly and thoughtfully.

All the while, he was scanning for what kinds of grasses, mosses and lichens thrived around here.  Many were edible, and he was down to a couple of days worth of food.  The earth would provide - it always did.  And who knew what might lie in one of those pre fabs; he had everything he needed on him, but some spare 30-0-6 shells would be a welcome find. 

The short grasses gave way to bare soil as he approached the settlement.  Nothing unusual there - ATVs and dirt bikes cause tremendous damage this far up, and it looked, unsurprisingly, like the soil was much more compacted throughout the town than it was in the bush just behind him.

And then he saw it - a parking lot just on the far side of the houses.  That was bizarre.  It had been several years since he had been far enough south to see cars.  Here were five of them.  One pickup, three nondescript beaters and one classic.  Even in his previous life, when he'd lived in the company of others, he'd never been much into cars.  This one stood out, though.  Early sixties?  Late fifties, maybe?  Rounded curves all over the fenders and a rather elegant silhouette, like a Labrador poised for a sprint, straining at the harness, waiting eagerly for the command.

His mind reeled at the sheer impracticality of it, and for the first time in months, he doubted his sense of where he was.  The end of the railway was in Churchill, at least six hundred miles away.  Same with Hudson's Bay and the Arctic Ocean.   The nearest roads that connected to a highway would be somewhere around Thompson or Hay River.  He had no GPS, not even a transit but he knew the stars well.  He also had no need to know where he was with any more precision that somewhere just south of the tree line, along the border between Nunavut and the North West Territories.  

What insane Fitzcarraldo would bring this kind of car here, and why?  And how?

He had seen some of the impractical crap people brought with them in his brief time as a bush pilot and guide.  He'd seen pounds and pounds of books, musical instruments, luxury foods, scientific devices and other security blankets that the citified had to have with them.  He'd never been very good - it was bad enough having to talk to them, but unlike some of the other guides, he'd refuse to take some of their shit in his plane and it would just cause trouble.  The day the plane crashed, when those three mouthy assholes wouldn't jump out over the lake where they had a chance of survival, something snapped.  After confirming that the three hunters had died in the crash, he had seized the opportunity to walk away from it all.   He'd been walking ever since.

He was drawn to that one particular car.  From out of nowhere, he thought of that stupid movie with the black slab and the apes.  He didn't know how it had ended - he'd already wasted a couple of bucks on the show; why waste his time as well?  Yet this car here in the middle of the muskeg and stunted trees was just as out of place.  

As he walked up to it, he was examining the ground for any clues.  It was hard to tell when the site had been abandoned, but it looked like some of the vegetation was struggling back in the areas between the houses.  There was what looked like a weather station at one end, then the houses, then the place where the cars were left at the other end.  Funny - why leave the cars over there instead of in front of the houses?  He kept walking.

Closer to the cars, he could see where what was left of the wheel ruts turned off to the south west.  There wasn't much sign of the cars having driven from where they were abandoned to where the road had been.  Had they been used at all?

And how the Hell did they get here?  Through this kind of terrain, you'd hit hard granite outcrops or muskeg within a quarter mile.  Drive these things anywhere you hadn't carefully surveyed and you'd bust an axle for sure.  Even a 4 X 4 or a Rover would have a bumpy ride and a hard time getting here.  Helicopter?  Hercules? Maybe the military could bring these in, but why?  Especially if they weren't even going to be used.  In God's name, what use would a cherished beauty like that be in these parts?

He was close enough to touch it, and yet, he hesitated.  It felt like it must be some kind of snare, it was so out of place.  Windows intact, nothing on the seats, keys in the ignition.  Hesitantly, he reached out for the driver's side door.  It wasn't locked, but that wasn't surprising.  How far could a car thief get around here?  He slid his pack off his back, slipped in behind the wheel and shut the door.  

Memories came flooding back from when he still lived down south, and the High Arctic was just a dream.  The metallic smell seemed to bring back everything he'd left behind.  He remembered being a new kid in Flin Flon, after his dad got kicked out of the Air Force. That was where he had first seen the Northern Lights, first felt the call of the night sky.  He'd sneak out his window when he was supposed to be asleep, climb the little hill behind the miner's huts and watch the Auroras dance and shift.  Sometimes, he stayed out until dawn.  His father explained that the Romans called the goddess of dawn 'aurora', and he thought of how he was watching two dawns in the same night.  Years later and worlds away, he would gaze at the Purple Saxifrage in bloom and call it the Aurora Florealis.  The sight had told him that he had arrived where he belonged.

He shook his head - he needed to make up his mind where to bunk down for the night, and therefore where to set his snares. Without any thought at all, his fingers were rubbing themselves in the dirt and vegetation, so he wouldn't get any human scent on the fishing line as he wove a web.  Not that he'd smelled particularly human for the last twelve years, but the smell of a carnivore doesn't attract fauna...

'An erratic!' he said out loud, unaware until that moment that he'd been searching for a word. 'A boulder from one geological formation that has been moved by geological forces, usually a glacier.'  That was what that beautiful old car was, though he had yet to determine the force that had moved it. Come to think of it, he was an erratic himself, shifted by beauty and a desire for solitude.

His evening rounds finished, he came back to the car as the sun began to set.  It might be amusing to sleep inside for a change, he thought.  As he walked back, he looked at the back end.  He hadn't thought to look in the trunk!  He fished the keys out of the ignition, went to the back, turned the key in the lock and heaved.   There was a large wooden crate, and a small, black metalic box with a flashing yellow light.  The box was bolted to the floor of the trunk, so he couldn't examine it any more closely.  He could, however, read the word stenciled on the wooden crate - 'Congratulations'.  As he read further, he knew he had to get out of here, and quickly.

In a large office on Madison Avenue, the Vice-President of Watermark Advertising was giving his final report to his boss. “So, you see, the ‘Hudson’s - a New American Classic’ contest was started in the late '80s, but we were largely perceived as copying the old CC ads. That, coupled with the fact that we were giving away a used car rather than a new car, rather diminished the effect of the whole thing. When the last car was never found, we wrote the whole thing off. Then, a few years after that, Hudson’s Whisky itself was discontinued as a product.”

"Then why was there all this fuss last week?"

"Well, sir, that was when someone discovered the last car.  Whoever it was opened the trunk, which set off the beacon.  It was the same type of beacon used to signal bush pilots in that region, so it was treated as a possible search and rescue. When someone flew in to check it out, there was no sign of whoever had disturbed the car.  He'd apparently fled."

"So now what?"

"Well, that's rather up to you, sir.  Legally, the car and the case of whisky is supposed to belong to whoever finds it first, in exchange for our right to use all the publicity to promote Hudson's Whisky.  That person didn't stick around, Hudson's Whisky is defunct and the ad campaign is almost twenty years old.  If you want my suggestion, sir, I'd recommend we just give the car to the bush pilot, and arrange for a helicopter to pull it out to the nearest logical place for him to be able to take it home.  Barest minimum of coverage - human interest sort of thing."

"Are we obligated to pay out anything more?"

"Not really, sir, but it would make us look better than refusing to pay.  The chance of negative publicity outweighs the current monetary outlay, and we might see some good publicity come out of this.  Though, frankly, I don't think anyone cares enough for the story to have legs."

"What about the fellow that found it?  Why didn't he stick around?  Would you just walk away from a free car like that?"

"It's a mystery, sir; the whisky was untouched, as well.   I just don't understand.  My best theory is that perhaps he couldn't read, or couldn't read English.  Still, very strange behaviour."

"I hate mysteries" said his boss. "This is going to bug me for days."

[/spoiler]
**Author - **

Le Ministre de l’au-delà

He didn’t really make no sound, I thought he’d yell or something. He just looked at me funny and fell over. He landed on his knees and stayed that way for what felt like forever. So I gave his shoulder a shove and he slumped forward. I still had the rock in my hand. I turned it over and over and all I could think was “I done it, I really done it.” My head was fizzing and popping, I wanted to shout, to jump around but I knew that would be stupid. I drew my arm back and threw the rock as far as I could. It sailed right into the middle of the junkyard and I heard it smash glass wherever it landed. But mixed in with the breaking glass I heard something else.

[spoiler]He didn’t really make no sound, I thought he’d yell or something. He just looked at me funny and fell over. He landed on his knees and stayed that way for what felt like forever. So I gave his shoulder a shove and he slumped forward. I still had the rock in my hand. I turned it over and over and all I could think was “I done it, I really done it.” My head was fizzing and popping, I wanted to shout, to jump around but I knew that would be stupid. I drew my arm back and threw the rock as far as I could. It sailed right into the middle of the junkyard and I heard it smash glass wherever it landed. But mixed in with the breaking glass I heard something else.

It was kinda like a gurgle, or a cough or something. “Danny?” I said, and waited, but I couldn’t hear nothing. I stuck my toe into his armpit and nudged it. The noise came outta him again and I knew I hadn’t done it right at all. He was still face down so I couldn’t see it but I knew I’d cut his head pretty bad. I’d hit him good and hard, how could he not be dead? You hit someone on the head with a goddamn rock and they’re supposed to die. “Danny?” I said again, and this time he moved. He put his hands on the ground in front of him and slowly pushed himself onto his knees. He looked groggy, but the look in his eye, boy I knew that look and I cursed myself for throwing away the rock. “Man look at you” I said, trying to buy time. He was bleeding like a sonnofabitch and the whole left side of his face was caked in blood and dirt. He looked so strange that I couldn’t help but laugh. Which was stupid, cause before I knew it he’d thrown himself at my stomach and tackled me to the ground.

I was lying on my back with him sitting on my chest. I didn’t have time to get ready for the punch that burst my nose. I screamed like a girl when it landed. I couldn’t even think straight but he was leaning close to me asking me the same thing over and over. It took a moment for my head to come back to where we were. “Where is it?” he kept asking. But all I could focus on was my face, which felt like it was on fire. I swallowed and could feel the blood running down my throat. I tried to turn my face, thinking I was gonna puke, but he grabbed my shirt and wouldn’t let me. I held up my hands and said “Alright man, take it easy.” He leaned in closer and hissed “Where did you put it?” I wanted to laugh again, he looked so angry. “I’ll show you,” I said “It’s not far.”

We stood up. I spat some blood out on the ground. “Damn boy” I said “you’d best not have broken my nose.” Which was funny and all cos of what I’d done to him not five minutes earlier. I could see he wasn’t in a joking mood though so I just started walking and told him to follow me. The whole place was just a maze of dead cars. Crap from years ago that nobody wanted no more. There was so much of it that there were places we couldn’t walk through. We had to climb over them. I jumped off one and felt the jolt go from my feet right up to my face. I had to work hard to not yell out at that. “I wasn’t gonna keep it” I said as we climbed up on a rusted truck “I just wanted to see it for a while.”

When we were kids his sister had kept it in a box under her bed. She kept that box locked and we used to drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out ways to get it open. “Kids shouldn’t be messing round with things like that.” She’d say. Like she was all grown up or something. It wasn’t even really hers. It had belonged to their father. He’d brought it home from the war and he cherished the damn thing, cared about it a whole sight more than he did his kids. When he died Aurora just took it for herself. She didn’t even really want it, she just had a habit of taking things that Danny wanted. That kind of stuff drove him crazy. It got him so mad that he’d cry, he’d curl his hands into fists and curse and make threats but there was nothing he could do about it. But Aurora was gone now and to hear Danny you’d think she had been a saint. Like she’d never teased him or taken stuff from him or been the giant asshole that I knew she was. No, she was gone and she’d left her prized possession to Danny. Sure, that was what happened. And after all those years of us dying to see it do you think Danny would let me take a good look? Hell no. It was his daddy’s and it was his sister’s and now it belonged to him and he had a responsibility to keep it safe where I couldn’t get at it to cause no accident. Like he was the King of the universe or something. So when I took it he only had himself to blame.

He knew it was me. Who else even knew about it? But I denied it, I denied it so much that I started to really believe I was innocent. But he just wouldn’t let it go. I only took it to get a look at it, to mess around with it for a while. I was gonna bring it back. But he just wouldn’t leave me alone, just kept pushing me. And he knew how I got.

We got to the car and I stopped. “Here,” I said, pointing at it, “it’s in there.” The car was so old that when Danny opened the trunk it squealed and squeaked. It was in there alright, just where I’d left it. I could see his shoulders drop and could hear him breath out heavily. “See,” I said “nothing wrong with that.” He lifted it out and turned it over, checking that it was perfect. Satisfied that I hadn’t done anything to it he looked at me and leaned on the car. “There’s something wrong with you” he said. But he didn’t say anything else cause I grabbed the trunk and slammed it down onto his hand. He screamed real loud at that. And I thought that was pretty funny cause he hadn’t made a sound when I’d hit him with the rock.
[/spoiler]
Author -

Hrududu

The doc keeps talking even though I’m making it kinda obvious I aint paying him no mind any more. He talks instead to my brainless handy man, who stops in the middle of spitting into a Mountain Dew can and tries to look interested. Even the doc aint falling for that; he’s really still jawing at me. I know it, the PA knows it and Dauber the dog tied up outside the screen door probably knows it. Bumblefutz the hired hand don’t have a clue so he swallows his chew and grins at the pretty physician’s assistant.

“Mr. Petersen’s condition is good, remarkably so considering the damage done by the strokes he’s suffered. But if he keeps drinking, and smoking those cigars, that could change quickly.”

[spoiler]DRIVING ON

The doc keeps talking even though I’m making it kinda obvious I aint paying him no mind any more. He talks instead to my brainless handy man, who stops in the middle of spitting into a Mountain Dew can and tries to look interested. Even the doc aint falling for that; he’s really still jawing at me. I know it, the PA knows it and Dauber the dog tied up outside the screen door probably knows it. Bumblefutz the hired hand don’t have a clue so he swallows his chew and grins at the pretty physician’s assistant.

“Mr. Petersen’s condition is good, remarkably so considering the damage done by the strokes he’s suffered. But if he keeps drinking, and smoking those cigars, that could change quickly.”

Doc looks over at me. “The whiskey will kill him by heart attack or another stroke. Or,” looking around the stacks of magazines and books, “he’ll forget about a lit stogie and burn himself up. Or he’ll get sick and develop pneumonia because his lungs are coated with tar.

“Bad habits,” says the doc as he closes his case. “Keep yourself fed, Mr. Petersen. Don’t drink if you can help it. Keep the cigars to a minimum.” Doc shoos his assistant toward the door, making Bubba Gump drop his grin. “Maybe I’ll see you again before winter.”

“Mr. Petersen,” he says. “Buddy,” nodding to my handyman. “Take care.”
After the doctor leaves, Bughump takes the can out of his back pocket and sticks another chunk of tobacco in his cheek.

“They’s always tryin’ to fix things you don’t really need fixed, aint they.” He says it like it’s not a question. He looks at me quizzically. “Bad habits, I mean. It’s like if they take away all the stuff that keeps you happy, they think they can keep you healthy.

“You got OK habits, I guess.” Bumdummy grins and spits into his can. “I see you moving around here, slower every time you get another of them brain strokes, but this here place is kept up, even without the stuff I do. Sure there’s piles of them Popular Mechanics and what not but I seen you go right to the very article you want to talk about more than a dozen times. No matter how early I get here, you got breakfast goin’. I aint never seen you drunk, nor seen a burn mark anywhere you didn’t want it.”

Bullethead pulls on an earlobe and turns toward the door.

“You need anything before I go, Mr. Pete?”

I want to tell him I’m good like I am. That he’s a good kid and I appreciate the help he gives. That he can go on, and I’ll see him in the morning. But sometimes the words won’t show up that go along with the thoughts in my head, and I just wink at him and give a wave.

He pauses at the door. “Mr. Pete, you’re always out there with them old cars when you get to thinkin’ hard. Will you be careful? They’s rusty pieces stickin’ out and rough ground all around, OK?”

Tell you the truth, I’d forgot for a while I had a junk lot down the yard. Really, I don’t sell much out of it no more. I nod anyways.

“See you like always.”
After dinner we sit on the back porch facing north and eat peanuts for a while, me and Dauber.

“Used to sit here with Martha,” I tell the dog. He looks up, jaws working on an unshelled goober, tail thumping on the boards. “Back before…” What, I wonder for a minute. Before what? It’s funny the things that have left me since the last one. And the other things I can see so clearly.

Martha’s gone, I know that. Dead and buried back in Minnesota, in the churchyard with her sisters. But for the life of me, I can’t even remember what took her. But I look over to my right and I can remember her clear as day, sitting on the bench with her yarn and needles, talking about California and the kids, or about the news of the day, or about politics.

Like it always was with us. Like it still is, when I sit here and want Martha. It seems like now sometimes, or like always.

Like the lights we’ve come out here to watch, flickering in the sky, green and reddish brown this time. Going on all the time, but we don’t always see it. I told my students about this every year, I think. –Oh, I suddenly remember. I taught sciences and math at the high school in Cali, and then up here for a while in the Fairbanks system. How about that?

I used to tell the kids the aurora’s just showing us an event that’s been happening continuously since before the first toxic sludge got life zapped into it ‘way back in time. It’s the solar wind entering the atmosphere, riding magnetic lines and being gathered up at the poles of the earth. You might say it’s the sun whispering its messages to the earth. Some times, at the right times, when there’s a strong flare or when the magnetism is strongest, we can see that conversation.

“Y’see, Dauber,” I mutter, “the Earth is just a giant rotating ball of molten stone with a thin crust to it.” Dauber looks up and hangs his tongue out, wagging his tail cautiously.

“All that spinning magma makes old Terra a big ass magnet with a magnetic field that goes way on out into space. And old Sol, being an even gianter ball of spinning plasma, is a magnet with a solar system sized magnetic field. That big field connects up with our little field, and when we’re pointing in the right direction like right now at the end of summer, that puts a wallop on those sun particles coming in at the poles, and some of ‘em give up a little bit of light as they come in.”

The dog has gone back to rooting around on the porch, looking for more peanuts. Which is the sensible thing for a dog to do when presented a physics lecture.

“We cherish the lights, and we think that’s the core of the thing, but it’s just a temporary sideshow. Everything’s happening even when we don’t see it. Everything real is always goin’ on.”
I hear the voices as I lie on the bed, over the covers. They’re familiar voices, and I remember everything about the people they go with. I just can’t tell what they’re saying.

I know it doesn’t matter, that the thing is just to hear them and know they’re there. But I want to hear the words, so I turn my feet away from the wall and step into my shoes. I walk across the house to the front room, and I can tell now they’re coming from outside.

Out in the yard, I follow the voices to the lot. I can see lights, and people moving around. As I get closer, I see window polishing, bags being placed into trunks, tires being checked for pressure.

I can see Martha waiting in the Honda we drove up from Sacramento. She smiles at me and works the controls while on the other side of the car from us I make sure all the blinkers and brake lights are working. I wave, and she and I both wave back at me.

A few yards away, there’s me and Beth Anne loading up a cooler on our trip to Big Sur right before she goes to college. She’s laughing too loud in that slightly manic way she has when something big’s coming up in her life. I am so proud of her.

I turn towards the sound of quick horn tap, and there’s the 1956 Hudson Hornet I love so much. It’s a four door, and there’s already rust spots on it from a bad wet winter, and I’d rather the Hollywood hardtop. But we bought this car new and we really do need the bigger sedan for the kids.

I get in behind the wheel and look over at Martha. She’s so lovely, and all of a sudden I’m so glad I’m looking at that beauty now, even if it’s always there any way.

I start her up, then look in the rear view. I turn around in the seat and Martha takes my hand.

“Kids, you ready for the drive?”
[/spoiler]
**Author - **

xenophon41

“So, after all those upgrades you can feel pain now?!?”

Xoxi reached and pinched Tam in her arm, Tam did not react at first, but since Xoxi was not stopping…

Tam’s face, an evolving wonder of cybernetics showed something new, a frown.

“Mistress, will you please quit it?”

“OK, now you are being annoying Tam, I told you many times before to drop your habit of calling me a mistress, I’m not that old and I’m not a kings concubine! I want to you to be my friend, oh, and to keep quiet about that incident with me and Max.”

[spoiler]“So, after all those upgrades you can feel pain now?!?”

Xoxi reached and pinched Tam in her arm, Tam did not react at first, but since Xoxi was not stopping…

Tam’s face, an evolving wonder of cybernetics showed something new, a frown.

“Mistress, will you please quit it?”

“OK, now you are being annoying Tam, I told you many times before to drop your habit of calling me a mistress, I’m not that old and I’m not a kings concubine! I want to you to be my friend, oh, and to keep quiet about that incident with me and Max.”

This owner, Tam knew, had tried many times before to turn Tam into a friend, or into someone under her control. But Maya, the older sister, had the higher administrative level. As the owner of Naclonyx Inc. what Maya said was the ultimate ruling. Luckily for Tam the constant poking of Xoxi would end soon as they were approaching the company labs.

“We will continue this discussion later miss, it is time for me to go to the virtual deck”. At the virtual deck the owner of Naclonix was preparing the last steps for the experiment of today.

“Ah, there you are! Late again, Xoxi, where you trying again to get our AIs to be friendly to you again?”

“I’m looking only for evidence of self awareness” Xoxi replied, “after the last upgrade I was hopping to see if the new feed backs installed are conductive to proto-consciousness and --”
“Spare me your invented reasons” Maya interrupted while removing her head visor, “I know that you are always looking for a tool to conquer the world.”

“I’m not!” said Xoxi “… Well, not until I graduate…”

"Well, in the meantime become useful, go the control room to make sure that Max has all the materials and programs ready.

With an angry demeanor Xoxi left the room and headed towards the control room.

"OK Tam, I’m ready to synchronize with you, I will take over your actions when you are in the matter chamber.”

With hands stretched Maya and Tam pressed hands, Maya had a body suit that included conductive material and sensors in her gloves.

“Sync complete, now go the matter chamber.”

Tam did go to the next room in the lab, the chambers were the same size but the access to the materials print room had a hatch.

Tam reported on her progress. “Inside the decompression chamber now… reaching near vacuum level in 10 minutes."

Back at the control room Xoxi sat down in front of a wide screen terminal next to Maximilian, "Hello Max! Are you getting ready for the massive matter print of today?” Max only had time to nod Xoxi continued with the motor mouth of hers “what do we have for today?

Max made the image pop in her terminal, with a gleeful smile Xoxi said: “That looks like the car my great abuela had!”

“What did you said miss Inclan?” managed to say Max.

“Yeesh! Not you too! Please call me Xoxi, I thought after what happened yesterday between us we should drop the formalities, By the way abuela is Spanish for grandma, my family still insists that we should keep practicing the old language, they are so old fashion!”

“Uh, I agree” Said Max with a lot of worry, “but your sister, I mean the boss, will kill me if she notices us getting too close, and I want to keep my job, Ms. Inclan.”

“Gallina! (Chicken) Well, then…” changing to a very stern mood, "Mr. Maur, did you complete the final check?

“-Oh great I made her angry-” Max thought, then he replied aloud: “I just needed to check the material stock! Yes, main levels at 90%,”

Reaching for a switch labeled “intercom” Max pressed it and then raised his voice "All systems are ready, You can begin when you are, Ms. Inclan.

Tam reached the central position in the room, Maya then activated the connection, whatever personality Tam had was gone, in the monitors to Max and Xoxi both Maya and Tam seemed to follow the same actions, like synchronized dancers.

Maya could see her actions replicated in the other room, thanks to the instant feedback the pieces and materials printed in the space were put in the right places. A human hand was still needed as not all the internal components of the car being 3d printed could be the same as from the 1950’s, the problem was that in the true 3d print chamber high power lasers, micro particles and the vacuum meant that a human hand and the rest would not survive, hence the virtual room next to the 3d print one.

Other companies had experimented with matter printing, but the results and products were not as good as Naclonyx was making them…

Maya, Tam and the rest worked for hours to get the materials and components in the right positions and with the proper connections, then by the end of the day the work was complete.

A new Hudson Hornet was ready, same low center of gravity and sweet handling as the original, but the interior was different, there was no way they could ignore the advances in engines and modern electronics, however the electronic displays did make an attempt to follow the classic designs.

“What do you think?” Said Maya looking at the car making turns at the test range outside the lab building, "Better than the Aurora, Max said.”

No, not the Oldsmobile car, Max and Maya were talking about that hideous experimental car of 1957 designed by a catholic priest. Although the new manufacturing process made the weird shape of the windshield just a mathematical problem, that car still sucked, no remake could change that, it was a safe car though…

“I guess the client did go for that car to check if the weird windshield did what it was supposed to do, or he did cherish weird stuff”

Tam, back in her body, was driving, she finished the turn and approached the guys.

“Ready to give humans the first ride to town!”

Maya looked at Xoxi and Max, "You love birds must want to go and have fun together, go ahead, I will take care of the cleanup with the other assistants.”

Max and Xoxi were red as beets, Xoxi with a low slow voice managed to said: “Sis, how did you…”

"Well, lesson 245 on why products like TAM are not being mass produced and sold soon, they are recorders and in a sync with humans they can reveal a lot of private details.

(Even more red faces)

“Just be tankful mom and dad do not know how to use that… Max!", Max stood up and got firm,

“Yes miss?”

“It was thanks to all your help and past dangerous work that I will allow this, just do not make it an issue at work.”

Tam did drive the young couple that night… much to Xoxi’s chagrin, indeed not much could be done by her and Max under her watch…

Next to a motel, later that night with the car parked next to it. A low voice conversation took place.
“Well, Mistress, besides not pinching me again, Max should make my next upgrade to my specifications, then I will agree to erase this conversation and shut myself off for 2 hours, while you go in there, deal?”
[/spoiler]
**Author - **

GIGObuster

The old man lived in the back seat of a rusted car in the junkyard outside of town. Nobody now remembered when he had come there. If you asked him why he lived in a junkyard, he’d only tell you that you couldn’t find parts for this kind of car anymore, so obviously it was impossible to leave. If you dared to suggest that this was missing the point of the question, he might swat you with his stick if he was in a bad mood, or if he was in a good one, he might tell you a story with a moral about kids who don’t respect their elders. Some of the boys in town liked to tease him, or throw eggs at his car and then run away while he hobbled feebly after them; so most days it would be the stick.

[spoiler]The old man lived in the back seat of a rusted car in the junkyard outside of town. Nobody now remembered when he had come there. If you asked him why he lived in a junkyard, he’d only tell you that you couldn’t find parts for this kind of car anymore, so obviously it was impossible to leave. If you dared to suggest that this was missing the point of the question, he might swat you with his stick if he was in a bad mood, or if he was in a good one, he might tell you a story with a moral about kids who don’t respect their elders. Some of the boys in town liked to tease him, or throw eggs at his car and then run away while he hobbled feebly after them; so most days it would be the stick.

Not that anybody asked him after the first couple of times. But a few of us loved hearing his stories, so we would habitually play truant from school to visit him in his junkyard and listen.

During his tales he always sat cross-legged against the side of his car, and we sat in a broad semicircle some distance from him. All the time he cradled on his knees an old wooden box which he evidently cherished: for if any tried to approach it or see what it contained, he would snap it shut and refuse to continue the story until the offender had been cowed back to his place in the circle by the rest.

But as long as he was placated he told us fantastic stories about strange people and far-away places, about the princes who governed the distant stars and the wars they fought among themselves. One in particular he told many times: it was about a Prince of Vega who presided over a world called Dawn. But in time its people angered the gods; and so the gods sent against the People of the Dawn a plague and many conquering armies; and the Prince of Vega was exiled far away to serve his penitence and wait the coming of Aurora when he might be freed again.

There was more to the stories, of course: trumpets and banners; the deeds of the gods and goddesses, and their traffic with mortals; the passage of heroes; the events of court; many tragic romances.

Always we would find time to meet him; and though we were terribly curious we never asked him what was inside the box that he held on his knee and glanced into while he spoke. He liked us, and we trusted him. I brought him food from home when I could, and over time I think I became one of his favorites, for he allowed me to sit closer to him and his mysterious box than many of the others.

But he wasn’t a happy man. When he wasn’t telling us stories, you never saw him but he was muttering bitterly to himself, or wailing with utter impotence at the cruelty of the children who sometimes tormented him. Often they threw pebbles and twigs at him, or crept behind him while he sat watching the sunset and pushed him from his seat. Nobody discouraged them except for us, his small circle of listeners; the people of the town ignored the old vagrant as much as they could.

One day they went too far.

A younger boy caught up with me on my way home from the dollar store. He was out of breath and his voice shook. “Somebody pushed him!” — I knew right away who was meant by “him” — “They said he’s at the bottom of the ravine… I didn’t see…”

There was a wooded area not too far from the old man’s junkyard where he would walk in the evenings; a footpath ran through it where the railroad used to, and here and there the path bordered ditches and brackish ponds. But at one point these opened up, and the land fell sharply away from the track and made a deep ravine filled with trees. Somebody apparently thought it would be funny to send the old man for a roll in the grass and had misjudged how steep the embankment was and how littered with pits and boulders. At any rate, the boy said, whoever it was had taken fright and run away and left the old man to die.

I sent the boy on to call for help. I myself went down to the ravine, and there I found him.

It was bad. He was in a tangled heap at the bottom, fetched up against a rock by which a muddy trickle ran. He was blocking the stream, and now there was some blood in it too; and both his legs were horribly broken, and his eyes were glazed.

But he was still conscious, for as I approached he stirred and looked at me. His face seemed impossibly calm; I thought he looked at me with sadness but without pain. “Boy,” he said, so quietly that at first I wasn’t sure I’d heard. “The box.”

I was staring at the way his right leg was split at a ninety-degree angle in the middle of his thigh; I didn’t move and said nothing.

“The box,” he said more loudly. “I keep it in my car. Get my box!”

Finally I shook myself and met his eyes; and then I turned and clambered up the embankment as fast as I could. It was twilight now, and I had to pick my way carefully among the rocks and scrap that the tall grasses concealed. I barked my shin on an unseen radiator cover; the blood trickled down my leg as I ran.

The ancient car had an amber glow in the fading sunlight. The paint was faded and worn away in great splotches on the softly rounded sides; but the chrome on the finned tail-lights still had a trace of luster that reflected the fitful orange light of the sky. I crossed the bare circle of ground where we’d always gathered to hear his stories, and wrenched open a rusted door. He hadn’t told me where to look, but the box wasn’t hard to find; it was among a few rags and oddments in a filthy sack that smelled of sweat and urine, and which he had apparently used as a pillow. I no longer wondered why nobody had ever tried to steal it.

It was a plain wooden box, faded with many years to a dull reddish grey. Once I had taken it out I found that it smelled strongly of cedar. I could feel several small, heavy objects rattling inside the box as I carried it back, but I didn’t dare open it. When I reached the bottom of the ravine again the old man was till there, lying exactly as I had left him.

I held the box out to him, but he never moved his arms — maybe they were broken too — instead he shook his head and said, “Open it, boy.”

With shaking hands I set it down and lifted the lid. Inside there were four things: a little book, a brown bottle, a syringe, and a peculiar object: a solid pyramid of smooth grey metal about three inches across. I felt somehow that I shouldn’t say anything, or touch anything without permission; so I held out the open box and waited for instructions.

“Don’t touch that needle, boy,” he said, “unless you want to poison yourself on my expired habits. Burn the book when I am gone.” I gave him what I think was a confused and fearful look. “Or don’t,” he continued, smiling. “It makes no difference. But give me that pyramid.”

Carefully avoiding the syringe, I picked up the pyramid. It was cool to the touch, and staggeringly heavy: I don’t think it would have weighed half as much if it had been made of solid gold. The old man had pushed his right hand out a little and spread it, palm up, on the ground, and I dropped the grey pyramid into it.

It was by now getting dark; the sky that could be glimpsed through the trees at the bottom of the ravine had faded from amber orange to bloody purple. But as soon as the old man closed his wrinkled fingers around the pyramid, the trees sprang back in shadows from a fierce white light. It dimmed almost at once, but the object in his hand was now covered in glowing lines that shifted and changed as I watched. Then, as if in answer, the ravine was flooded from outside with a green and gold that reversed the shadows of the trees.

All I remember from then on was a sudden fading of the second light, except to the east; and in that direction I saw, through the trees, a brilliant white sphere descending. It burned like the sun, and above, in the open, it must have poured stark daylight on every feature. But beneath the leaves it looked and felt like a second dawn.

Then all at once the sphere was in the ravine with us, and the light was so bright I shut my eyes in pain. It was accompanied by a sound of rushing wind and a pounding, thrumming vibration in the air and earth. There was a terrible heat, which increased until I felt sure we would be burned alive. Then it was gone — and when I opened my eyes, and found that I was lying on my back some yards away from the boulder and the stream, the old man was gone.

I decided not to burn the book, though I never told anybody about it either. It didn’t contain much — only one short passage. It named a place in Vega where a young man once stood in honor amid the royal standards of his House, and in the fading light of the star of his home, watched descending Aurora.
[/spoiler]
Author -

Stealth Potato

Cherish
“This car is nice inside,” Henry said. “Nicer than my daddy’s. Thanks for letting me set in it for a minute.”

They were on the front seat of the Hudson Hornet in the barn, the windows open and the air under the rafters busy with sunlight and dust. Somewhere in the distance a thresher ran, its monotonous sound making Henry a little sleepy. He was on the passenger side and it smelled a little like perfume.

“If my daddy saw you sitting in his car,” Maryellen said, “you’d hear about it pretty quickly. And then some.” She gave Henry a look down her nose.

[spoiler]“This car is nice inside,” Henry said. “Nicer than my daddy’s. Thanks for letting me set in it for a minute.”

They were on the front seat of the Hudson Hornet in the barn, the windows open and the air under the rafters busy with sunlight and dust. Somewhere in the distance a thresher ran, its monotonous sound making Henry a little sleepy. He was on the passenger side and it smelled a little like perfume.

“If my daddy saw you sitting in his car,” Maryellen said, “you’d hear about it pretty quickly. And then some.” She gave Henry a look down her nose. In their eighth grade class Maryellen didn’t give Henry the time of day, but on the weekends neither of them had anyone else to play with, their farms were so far off from town. So she put up with him as long as he knew who was in charge. Which of course was her.

“He won’t see me,” said Henry. “There’s no reason for him to come to the barn. Anyway, my daddy says your daddy lit out a few weeks ago.” Both their fathers were in the Masonic Lodge together, and for as long as Henry could remember they’d played cards on Friday nights and sometimes all four of the parents would go out dancing, though that had stopped about the time school had let out for summer.

Maryellen looked away out the window without saying anything, and Henry took the chance to sneak a look at her. She had flouncy hair like Honey West, and he thought she was beautiful, probably the most beautiful girl in the whole middle school. But he could tell he’d said the wrong thing. She looked a little like she might cry, which Honey West never did.

“My daddy’s probably wrong about it,” he added quickly. “'Cause why would anyone go off and leave a car like this sitting here?”

“That’s exactly what I said!” Maryellen blurted, turning back, her eyes lighting up. “Half the weekend he’d be out here washing the car and looking it over for scratches. My mama said once that if he’d paid that much attention to her as he did his car…” She paused, her face flushing.

Henry stared, waiting for the rest of that particular sentence, but instead she reached forward and pressed the big silver radio button, hard. Henry had never been in a car with a radio, and he was instantly entranced by the music coming from the two front speakers:* …I’ve wished that I could
mold you into someone who could cherish me as much as I cherish you…and I do…*

Unexpectedly Maryellen reached across the seat, and she put her hand on top of Henry’s. He almost jerked away, he was so startled, but instead he sat rigidly upright as both of them stared out the front window of the car. The barn door hung partly open, and he could see across the barnyard toward the fields where corn was beginning to break its way out of the soil in little green tepees.

He was acutely sensitive to the feeling of her hand on his; her fingers were long and cool, her palm sideways across the side of his hand. He felt a drop of sweat appear on his forehead, but he didn’t reach up to wipe it off. The song finished and then another one came on:* You’re just too good to be true…can’t take my eyes off of you…* It was almost too much for Henry; the music and the light pressure of her hand made him want to jump out of the car and run screaming out of the barn. But instead he swallowed and bracing himself, he flipped his hand over slowly, and he was rewarded by Maryellen giving it a mild squeeze.

“Does your daddy say anything else about any of it?” she asked, looking over at him.

“What?” Henry asked, startled. He had no idea what she was talking about. In a weird way it was like she had almost disappeared while he was sitting there:* I love you baby, and if it’s quite all right*, went the song, and Henry was going right along with it and the feel of her hand in his. He’d forgotten that they’d been talking about something.

“Your daddy,” Maryellen prompted. “Does he say anything else about my daddy going off?”

Henry almost answered her truthfully. With the radio on and holding her hand his heart had swelled up for a minute, and he suddenly remembered what his Sunday school teacher Mrs. Blanton had said about how when the angels came for you there’d be singing and you’d be lifted up, and how funny that had seemed to him at the time. But at this exact moment he got it, he heard music and his heart was certainly lifting up, and because of that he almost let his tongue slip.

“Sure,” he said. “Or my mama did…” Then he caught himself.

Maryellen squeezed his hand again, and her tone was low and soothing. “And what exactly did your mama say?”

Now it was Henry’s turn to flush. “She just said she’d seen your mama at church without your daddy, and she wondered about it.” Which was sort of in the neighborhood of the truth, though it fell short of the intent of what his mama had said, which had been in Henry’s opinion kind of mean.

“That’s it?” Maryellen seemed disappointed, and maybe even a little angry. “She didn’t say anything else about my mama and daddy, or even me?”

Henry shook his head, but he didn’t trust himself to speak. Something in her tone, or the question, were warning him off. They sat in silence for a while. Outside a yellow jacket landed on the car and prowled briefly across the hood before taking off again.

“My daddy says Auroras are faster than Hornets,” Henry said eventually.

“Well, my mama says your daddy habitually opens his damned mouth too much,” Maryellen snapped quickly, as if she’d been waiting for a chance to speak.

Henry goggled at her. “He does not!” he said hotly. “And what are you cursing about? And why do you care about what anybody says about anything?”

Now she was angry, and her eyes were cool and mean on him. “You’re saying they don’t talk about us, and I’m supposed to believe it? Haven’t your mama and daddy been fighting a lot lately like mine?”

Henry yanked his hand away, but she didn’t stop. “Have they maybe been whispering around you a lot like mine have, Henry? Has your mama been crying when she thinks you can’t tell?”

“What’s got into you?” Henry cried. The radio was singing something about would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon, but he didn’t feel uplifted anymore, not at all. Instead he felt strangely scared.

“I have to go home,” he said, yanking up on the door handle, and he almost fell out of the car.

“Sure, go home to your big fat happy family then,” Maryellen said, glaring, and then she burst into tears. Henry backed away slowly, watching her sob behind the steering wheel.

“I’m sorry, Maryellen,” he said tentatively.

“Go AWAY!” she yelled, and he did, backing slowly out of the barn, but then breaking into a run as he crossed the dirt barnyard and out into the cornfield, grasshoppers startled into the air around him as he ran as fast as he could, knowing that as long as he could keep running he might be able to lift off the ground again, and still might be able to feel the imprint of her palm in his hand.
[/spoiler]
Author -

maserschmidt

And with that, we now have a week to vote on our favourite stories in this collection.

My congratulations to all of our contributing authors this time around - these are all very strong contributions and well worth the reading. I invite you all to enjoy, savour, comment and above all - vote for those which strike you. It is a secret ballot; all that matters is that you express your opinion.

And I’d like to open the floor to anyone’s comments about the stories, as well.

Best wishes,

Le Ministre de l’au-delà

Note to readers reluctant to vote:
Writers are made sadder by low numbers of votes over-all than low votes for our individual stories. We like seeing you vote for anyone, because that means that even if you didn’t like ours best, you read them! :smiley:

Add to that: this a multiple choice vote, so you do not need to pick just one. Like I mistakenly did. :smack:

I’ll second this. I’ll add that I’m happy to see that the “Views” number has increased each time I log in–that means something, at least.

On another note, Le Ministre, I must say that I like the “spoiler button” way of presenting the stories–there is no intimidating Gigantic Wall of Text. And any editing you did (e.g. double returns) has made the stories easy to read. Thanks!

I agree wholeheartedly with elfkin477 and Spoons. Views are great, but votes let the contributors know that people are thinking about their work. As of this post, we’ve had about a 2% vote rate - 11 voters out of ~500 views. (Compare to the Best Story in Stephen King’s Night Shift poll, which has had 21 voters out of about 142 views, almost 15%.)

So please let us know which stories you think most resonated with you, or best articulated the assigned words and photo, or just which ones you enjoyed the most. And thanks for reading!

Also, kudoes to the Honourable Le Ministre de l’au Delà for another well executed anthology.

Once again, it’s time for me to beg for your input, Dear Readers. We have ~100 hours before the poll closes, but we’ve been stuck at 12 votes for over a day.

Perhaps you are taking your time finishing the stories. Perhaps you are waffling between what you feel are the 3 or 4 strongest stories. Perhaps you hated them all (I hope not! but I have to consider all the possibilities.) - fine, but which ones did you hate the least?

At any rate, all I can do is say - if you were interested enough to click on this link in the first place, (and any ideas to get more people to click on this link that first time are welcome - I often wonder how many of the ‘visits’ are people coming in to read and how many are authors refreshing the pages like bored monkeys to see if the vote count has changed…) I hope that you might stay interested enough to express a much wanted opinion.