The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 AM

Ask the guy in a perpetual state of readiness... for almost anything.

That's right, I'm that guy. If it's remotely capable of happening, I've probably got a plan, or six, and the supplies to deal with.

So, in this thread you can ask me things like, "Why the hell are you so prepared?" "What would you do in the event of [Insert Event Here]?" "Are you a nutjob?" (Probably) and more!

A bit of an example: In my car, I have a bag. In this bag, I have items which would see me through even an extended survival ordeal (indefinite), if necessary. But, this bag is small enough for me to carry on my own.

In the bag: A full change of clothing (Shorts, Jeans, Underwear, Tshirt, Hoodie, Undershirt, two pairs of socks), drier lint and flint (for starting fires, drier lint is takes a spark like mad), 4x3000 calorie bars (taste like shit), water purification tablets (a lot of 'em, they're not very big) and a few boxes of water (like juice boxes, but filled with water) and a lot of gum. And a "trap guide" (incase I forget). The trap guide is like a farmers almanac of hunter-gathering, with basic stuff like telling you your location, what game is in that region, the best traps, etc.

I think I'll also put a 10mm pistol in there, when I recover it and my boat from the bottom of the lake, or get a new one.

You wouldn't believe what super-sugary gum will do for you if you're feeling tired while hiking.

There's also stuff like my regular attire, which people thinks is weird. I wear Jeans and a tshirt, like everyone else, but I also wear two undershirts and thicker-than-average jeans. I can go out without a coat in almost any weather, and any but the hottest weather, I can leave all three shirts on.

ETA: Yes, I'm prepared for the Zombie apocalypse. Although not directly. I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse by getting eaten quickly, and not having to be scared shitless for six months as they slowly hunt me down. That, or suicide. Not really sure yet.

Last edited by Todderbob; 09-13-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM

Do you secretly hope that the world will go to hell in a hand casket so that you actually get to use all this stuff?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Use all what stuff?

The bag in my trunk isn't incase the world goes to hell in a hand basket, it's incase I wreck my car in a sparsely populated area (which I've been known to travel) and can't get help immediately. It's increasingly unlikely (thankfully) due to cellphones, but not unheard of.

I wrecked my car, recently, and luckily it was next to a gas station -- the only one for fifteen miles either way. But if that gas station wasn't there, I'd have had to either hike, or if I was unable, camp until someone saw me. I wouldn't have been able to hike, because I bruised my leg, and was limping slightly at the time. I'd have been thankful for the food, water, etc. had I needed it. Especially so, since I had my two cousins in the car.

I hope I never need the stuff I use and have. I also hope I never need car or health insurance, but I maintain those as well.

ETA: And that's not all that sparsely populated.
ETA2: I meant to put this in the OP, I'm headed to work, but I'll answer all the questions in this thread when I get home...

Last edited by Todderbob; 09-13-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 AM

I went hiking yesterday and the concept of being overprepared came up, so, what do you bring in your backpack on hiking trips?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Have you changed the oil in your portable generator since using it last? You know they can only run for 8 hours before needing to be serviced, right? Shame to lose one, desparately needed, at the onset of an emergency.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 AM

Do you have a plan to defeat Batman? (Are you secretly Batman?)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

You do recognize it's never the things you prep for and fret over that get you, in the end, it's the things you could never have seen coming, right?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM

How much did everything cost?

I never had a full on survival kit type thing whenever I went on a trip, although I wish I did. All I brought with me is a really good blanket, some food, and some water.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM

My kids have stored enough old french fries under the seats of my car to keep me alive for days.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 AM

I'm pregnant and it's yours. Quick- what are you going to do?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Romney Voldemort supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Ok, I'm subscribing to this puppy.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Do you give Batman pointers?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

How often do you change the batteries on your smoke detectors?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 AM

I need to make someone... disappear. How do you propose going about it?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Your bag is notably lacking a Towel. Is there any particular reason for this omission?

Last edited by Projammer; 09-13-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM

You mention a Trap Guide but I don't see any tools listed. Also, I think you should have a basic weapon, maybe a rudimentary lathe.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM

What? In case he runs into a wild 2x4?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Hmmm...in my car right now there are four 24 packs of Coke, a couple kitchen knives, some brownies, a winter coat, a rain poncho and some hardcover bestsellers. If I get lost, I'm sticking with the car and having a vacation day.

StG
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM

were you an eagle scout?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM

I see nothing in your bag that indicates you are ready to rock.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

What about a first aid kit? I have an EMS-regulation first aid kit, plus an auto repair kit, plus a bag similar to yours in the back of my car. :P
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM

That is all fine and dandy, but are you ready for some football?

Being that prepared you know you're going to be taken out by a random piece of rock that come hurtling down from space to hit you square on the head. Unless, do you wear a hard hat 24/7?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM

You aren't ready for school. Where are your school supplies?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Drew Carey sticks a gun to your head and forces you to improvise a hoedown.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
I went hiking yesterday and the concept of being overprepared came up, so, what do you bring in your backpack on hiking trips?
I don't often go hiking, for a number of reasons.

It's been a few years, before I turned 18 I think, and before I started taking an active role in my own well being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Have you changed the oil in your portable generator since using it last? You know they can only run for 8 hours before needing to be serviced, right? Shame to lose one, desparately needed, at the onset of an emergency.
I don't have a portable generator. Other than the internet, TV and food storage, I don't really use a lot of electricity to be honest. And in an emergency, I wouldn't be so worried about any of those -- especially considering the relative cost of refrigeration versus canning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Do you have a plan to defeat Batman? (Are you secretly Batman?)
I do, and I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
You do recognize it's never the things you prep for and fret over that get you, in the end, it's the things you could never have seen coming, right?
I don't 'fret' over anything, actually. And your statement is categorically incorrect, in that most smokers do not worry or fret over cancer, yet often get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
How much did everything cost?
I don't know. A lot of it, I was able to assemble out of stuff I have in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I never had a full on survival kit type thing whenever I went on a trip, although I wish I did. All I brought with me is a really good blanket, some food, and some water.
Frankly, I find myself using the kit more often than I'd expect. Need to tie something? Grab some rope and cut it. Need to fix something? Check the car, maybe something'll be there to help. Need a tissue? Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
My kids have stored enough old french fries under the seats of my car to keep me alive for days.
I'm child free, at the moment, so my car is fry free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Deny it. And then get a paternity test to prove it.

The odds are nil of me fathering a child, at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
How often do you change the batteries on your smoke detectors?
Frequently. I also have one in every room, instead of one in the hallways, and one in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Do you give Batman pointers?
Frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
I need to make someone... disappear. How do you propose going about it?
Do you need to kill someone, and then dispose of the body, or do you need to dispose of a body that's already dead?

Or, would you prefer to keep them alive, and (relatively) unharmed, but under your control and out of public reach?

What are your resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Your bag is notably lacking a Towel. Is there any particular reason for this omission?
The towel isn't in the bag, because the towel should be carried, over the bag. In fact, I have three in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuo View Post
You mention a Trap Guide but I don't see any tools listed. Also, I think you should have a basic weapon, maybe a rudimentary lathe.
I carry a Gerber Multitool in my right front pocket, always.

Tools aren't difficult to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
What? In case he runs into a wild 2x4?
They're dangerous, don't underestimate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Hmmm...in my car right now there are four 24 packs of Coke, a couple kitchen knives, some brownies, a winter coat, a rain poncho and some hardcover bestsellers. If I get lost, I'm sticking with the car and having a vacation day.

StG
You and I have differing opinions on the reliability of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
were you an eagle scout?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
I see nothing in your bag that indicates you are ready to rock.
There's nothing I could put in my bag that would sufficiently reflect my current, and perpetual, readiness to rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
What about a first aid kit? I have an EMS-regulation first aid kit, plus an auto repair kit, plus a bag similar to yours in the back of my car. :P
Is it absolutely necessary for me to include the ridiculously obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
That is all fine and dandy, but are you ready for some football?
American or European?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
Being that prepared you know you're going to be taken out by a random piece of rock that come hurtling down from space to hit you square on the head. Unless, do you wear a hard hat 24/7?
I'm willing to die via meteorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
You aren't ready for school. Where are your school supplies?
I'm not in school, so there is is no need to be ready for this.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus View Post
Drew Carey sticks a gun to your head and forces you to improvise a hoedown.
I ask him if he sees that doughnut in the corner. He turns to look for it, I steal his gun.

Last edited by Todderbob; 09-13-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM

So let me review. You've wrecked your car and your boat is at the bottom of a lake? Hmmm. I think I might have a heightened awareness of what might go wrong myself.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzero View Post
So let me review. You've wrecked your car and your boat is at the bottom of a lake? Hmmm. I think I might have a heightened awareness of what might go wrong myself.
I'm the luckiest unlucky person I know. Good preparedness has, repeatedly, made up for most bad situations Ive been in.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I can think of a couple of things it appears caught you by surprise.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post
Quote:
Indeed. I can think of a couple of things it appears caught you by surprise.
All you can do is be prepared, you cant predict the future.

If you could, you wouldn't need to be prepared.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Hey! Look out!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

There! Behind you!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todderbob View Post

I'm willing to die via meteorite.
Awesome! Can you be in Chicago in a week for a.. ahem.. perfectly safe experiment?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
There's also stuff like my regular attire, which people thinks is weird. I wear Jeans and a tshirt, like everyone else, but I also wear two undershirts and thicker-than-average jeans. I can go out without a coat in almost any weather, and any but the hottest weather, I can leave all three shirts on.
What do you mean by "almost any weather"? Because here in New England, an extra couple undershirts isn't going to help you avoid wearing a coat in the winter.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterj2 View Post
Quote:
What do you mean by "almost any weather"? Because here in New England, an extra couple undershirts isn't going to help you avoid wearing a coat in the winter.
I mean only well into winter am I uncomfortable for the amount of time I'd expect to caught outside without a winter coat.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Do you practice snaring critters for dinner?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 PM

How often do you change the condom in your wallet?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Are you prepared to perform a tracheotomy with your Gerber Multitool and drinkbox straw?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I'll also put a 10mm pistol in there, when I recover it and my boat from the bottom of the lake, or get a new one.
It seems to be that you are extremely poorly prepared. What if your car goes off the end of a pier into a lake with the all-electric windows up? You will need a spring-loaded nailset to shatter a window to escape. Do you have one of those in your emergency funbag?

Your lint & flint won't be much use in that situation, you know.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

Does you vehicle kit include tire chains, traction mats, shovel, and winch?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Does your winter vehicle kit include a thick closed cell foam pad, -35 sleeping bag, shovel, and wench?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM

What is your basic physical stance of perpetual preparedness?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Does your winter vehicle kit include a thick closed cell foam pad, -35 sleeping bag, shovel, and wench?
I keep a wench on hand at all times for emergencies. You never know when you will suddenly get horny and need one.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Quote:
I keep a wench on hand at all times for emergencies. You never know when you will suddenly get horny and need one.
Oh darn. Beat me to it.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Ok toddebob, let's see what you got.

Test question 1
What's in your pocket right now?

Test question 2
It's a dark an rainy night in the boondocks far from help or phone service. You get a flat tire. You remove the lug nuts from your old tire and store them in the hubcap. Accidently you step on the hubcap and send all five lug nuts flying into the dark. After extensive searching you find.... One of them. The rest are lost forever. What do you do?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Quote:
That's why there is a difference depending on the season. In the summer, a winch, so you can get back to the BBQ; in the winter, a wench, to help avoid hypothermia.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Test question 2
It's a dark an rainy night in the boondocks far from help or phone service. You get a flat tire. You remove the lug nuts from your old tire and store them in the hubcap. Accidently you step on the hubcap and send all five lug nuts flying into the dark. After extensive searching you find.... One of them. The rest are lost forever. What do you do?
That's an easy one:
SPOILER:
Pull one off of each wheel and use four per wheel.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am so hoping that wasn't a typo.

Instead of zombie-apocalypse-type scenarios, I'm going to ask about a few plausible ones.

1: You're heading to a place of business you haven't been to before and for which you only have an address, and realize that you can't find the street. What do you do?

2: You've got an important deadline coming up soon at work, and you come down with a flu-like bug that leaves you bedridden for a week. What do you do?

3: You're on an outing of some sort with a friend or family member who brought a baby. The kid needs to be changed, but the parent forgot to bring their diaper bag. What do you do?

4: Your employer is hit hard by the recession, and you suddenly find yourself out of a job. What do you do?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Test question3:

The boy in front of you riding the escalator gets his pant leg caught and it starts to pull him in. He screams as it constructs his leg. You have a second or two to act, at most. What do you do?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I am so hoping that wasn't a typo.
It wasn't a typo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Test question3:

The boy in front of you riding the escalator gets his pant leg caught and it starts to pull him in. He screams as it constructs his leg. You have a second or two to act, at most. What do you do?
Peg the emergency stop button with a quick throw of the remaining lug nut. Either that or fellate the kid.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Do you call out "Hut, hut, hut" in a baritone voice when you stride down the street, and if so, does it act as a mating call to draw women to you?