The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on law enforcement in your area/generally?
Much respect for the boys in blue. 30 10.07%
Always areas to improve, but they do a good job. 135 45.30%
Meh, it's a job, like any other. 37 12.42%
Not impressed. 49 16.44%
ACAB, eff the police! 24 8.05%
Mandatory 'other' option. 23 7.72%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM

How do you feel about the police?

Without giving you my life story, just started a new job, where I deal with the police a fair amount. I've already noticed a wide variety of opinion regarding the effectiveness of the police and the personalities within, so thought I'd ask the Dope for their overall opinion and experience regarding the police, I'm imagining a range of answers depending on age and area.

For my own part, I think they do a good job, never had any problems with them. What's your experience?
Advertisements  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 PM

I hate them. With a passion. I realize my response to police is emotional and irrational because I am biased because of the kinds of cops I've come across. So it is something I am not comfortable feeling about police, but I feel it, still.

I didn't vote in the poll, because although I feel like "Fuck the Police" I don't know that the feeling can't be changed.

This is why I almost never post in, "look at what the pigs did to a citizen this time" threads. Because I know I can't be impartial.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

For everyone else who had to look up ACAB, it seems to stand for "all cops are bastards."
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM

In my experience, which includes some time doing criminal defense, the overwhelming majority of police officers are hard working, dedicated professionals doing a dangerous and often thankless job.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
BANNED

I have had very little interplay with the police in my life. The ones that have given me tickets I did not deserve were at least polite. I ,of course ,was singled out and unfairly ticketed.
When i was young ,I was threatened by a cop because I would not give him my license and insurance information. I was not driving. I thought he had no right to ask me for it. After a while, his partner said I should give it to him because he would likely start smacking me with his flashlight ,if I refused. In the interest of saving my skull i gave it to him.
I have been on softball teams with police and firemen. We were friends and team mates. We also had a good team. They were just people.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM

I've never personally had a problem with cops, but I know people in other states that have seen a lot of corrupt bullies in blue. Around here they seem to be good folks in general. There are always exceptions, of course.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM

I wanted to be a cop when I was a teenager, so I tend to put myself in their place. I know there are bad people and good people, and all kinds become cops. So...I judge the person, not the uniform. And I give the uniform a little leeway. Not a shitload...being a jerk is not part of the training...but I try to account for fear and edginess on their behalf. I mean, I'm 5'4 and apparantly look like trouble, 'cause I used to be regularly asked for ID for no reason. It wasn't until MUCH later that I learned that one actually is not required to show ID without cause, but I'd still give it up just to speed things up and get them moving on their way.

Unless I was feeling ornery.
Hey, I'm no angel, either.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

There are dicks, and saints in almost every profession.

Ive never had a bad experience with a cop, though, despite the fact I on more than one occasion deserved one.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Been on both sides of the law, and voted the other option. I don't judge cops as a whole, though from my experience they tend to fall in one of three categories.

Those who do it for the power. These are the assholes and bad guys for the most part, and I minimize my time around them when I can.

Those who do it because they believe cops should be a force of good in the community. I like these guys, and have much respect for them. I'll go out of my way to help them, and if I'm going to be arrested, I'd prefer they do it. At least then I can be pretty sure they're not going to abuse me in some way, shape, or form.

The ones who see it as just a job. Haven't had much experience with these guys. The cops in my area fall in cat. 1 or 2.

I've found if you treat them with respect, you'll get farther than treating them like assholes, but then that holds true for everyone else as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM

they're doing a job that's necessary, and is one that I wouldn't want to do. from a few people I've talked to, if you're a patrol officer, it's a crappy job with weird hours, shit pay, and little room for advancement. when city budgets get tight, you get pressured to be revenue collectors (read: write speeding tickets.) when budgets get really tight, your job is first on the chopping block when people vote down millage proposals.

I also don't feel they do near enough to weed out the bad apples. unfortunately, I think the "us vs. them" situation is unavoidable and helps lead to them protecting each other, right or wrong.

Last edited by jz78817; 09-16-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 PM

I still like some songs on Ghost In The Machine.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Not really a fan. Cops make me nervous and I don't like being around them. I have this fear of being harassed or wrongly accused of something and then never being able to get rid of it. It doesn't help that I'm near two of possibly the most incompetent police forces in the US: Washington, DC and Prince George's County, MD. I live just across the line from both in Montgomery County and have never had a problem with those cops, but keep me the hell away from the DC and PG County police. PG County in particular has a reputation for beating people.

Edit: I have no real reason to fear being harassed or profiled, since I'm a young white female, but I'm paranoid and I read too many news stories.

Last edited by chizzuk; 09-16-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
<snip>
I also don't feel they do near enough to weed out the bad apples. unfortunately, I think the "us vs. them" situation is unavoidable and helps lead to them protecting each other, right or wrong.
I agree with this. I also think cops have a tendency to have the wrong kind of person want to be a cop in the first place. I think most of them are people trying to do a good job with some difficult situations.

I also think our Calgary city cops suffer from comparisons with the Mounties.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM

they frighten me, I flee from them.
They are the biggest gang in town. And they have legal protection.
I won't hurt them, but I CANNOT trust them.

edit: and I will NOT "eff" them, I do not want them to reproduce!

Last edited by RedWood; 09-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM

For many of them 'demons in training' they really are being schooled to live on human misery and cause further hurt, while being above the law in many aspects.

One that I had a lot of respect for confided to me that he didn't give out speeding tickets because he 'felt like a f-cken hypocrite'.

In some ways, by having to enforce immoral laws against morally innocent people they are really just pawns, but that didn't work as a defense at the Norenburg trials, and ultimately the defense 'I was just following orders' will not stand.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Not a fan. I don't have a lot of interactions with the police, but the ones I have had have shown me that a lot of them have attitudes. They want (demand) to be treated with respect, while treating you, the citizen, with barely contained disdain. I guess if you deal with crackheads and scofflaws all day, that's how you get, but I still don't appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Never had any bad experiences with the police, but that doesn't mean I won't. Cops are individuals, and individuals are different. Some individuals are good people, some individuals are assholes.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
In my experience, which includes some time doing criminal defense, the overwhelming majority of police officers are hard working, dedicated professionals doing a dangerous and often thankless job.
Strange, I never see many of those. Maybe they hang out on the other side of town. I just encounter the assholes that use their power to make life difficult for whomever they dislike.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM

As Alfred Hitchcock said, "I am not against the police, I am afraid of the police."

I do not like or trust them.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Police have changed a lot since I was a kid (I'm 50). I think that is due to a lot of different factors, some of which are out of their control.

I agree with Mr. Accident about the different kinds, although I'd add another category which you'd find in Jackson, which are the burnt-out zombie cops. I have a lot of sympathy for those - it's gotta be hard to do the job in a place where the pay sucks, the citizens all hate you, and there are only about half as many cops as are needed.

Nowadays I know some cops personally and most of those I respect and admire. I am wary of unfamiliar cops. I've had a mixed bag of experiences with them in the last 30 years or so.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Is their pay really that low, though, or is that a meme or a thing of the past? From Tucson PD's website
Quote:
Based on an hourly rate, annual starting salary for a Tucson Police Officer is between $45,510 $47,819 and begins when a recruit is appointed to the Southern Arizona Law Enforcement Training Center. Payday is every two weeks. Depending on their career, a patrol officer with the TPD can earn a yearly salary of more than $64,000. Detectives and those who reach a position higher than detective earn even more.
Maybe it doesn't make them rich, no, but it's certainly not what is considered low-paying in this city.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Still looking for other salary info, but I found this from the City of Jackson website:

Salary

Police Recruit - $23,750.00 (Annually), after successful completion of a 14-week training program. $28,887.00 (annually), after one year of employment.

From here
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Well, they probably get to beat more people and have other perks in Jackson to make up for the low pay.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I pretended I was back in the US and voted "Much respect for the boys in blue," because the answer for the Thai police would skew the results too much and probably should not be counted in this poll. Largely a bunch of corrupt clowns who can be efficient if there's a reason for them to be, such as political pressure, or you slip them enough money. Hell, pay them enough and they just might arrest anyone you want them to.

They do keep the streets safe, though. I can walk any and everywhere in Bangkok safely no matter the hour, but I'm also well aware that's because of some rather extreme extrajudicial pressure the local cops exert on the bad guys.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 PM

I'd be wicked scared to be one some of those beats. The officers are one to a car. The night my son was carjacked, I stood in the street and talked to an officer in a bad neighborhood (well we were arguing really) while people crept back and forth behind us in the shadows of the houses. It freaked me out to think he was out there policing by himself.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM

They mostly do a fine job. I've only had one experience I didn't care for, but I wasn't doing something legal at the time. Most people that I know that flat out hate them are up to no good when they encounter them.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM

They seem more or less okay. So I just voted "meh." I haven't had much experience with them, though. The last time I did, though, was a bad experience--not like beaten up bad, more like incompetence/laziness. I got mugged and was trying to report the crime and then just get a police report (so I could get my stolen library book/netflix DVDs fees waived). They kept telling me that the cops who I called when it happened had never filed the report and then kept trying to get me to come in at weird times so they could find the cops who failed to do so. I really didn't want to be out walking around at midnight, though (especially since I was JUST the victim of a crime) and they wouldn't let me just refile the report, so in the end I didn't get the report. The whole attitude really pissed me off, too. No one was the least bit apologetic for their laziness and/or corruptness.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 AM

I don't hate the police personally. Each cop is different, depending on the person. The one time I've been pulled over the cop was very professionally and I didn't have any issues with him, even though I got a ticket (which I deserved).

BUT: historically the police don't have a really good relationship with people of color (my biggest fear is being pulled over in some podunk southern town in the middle of the night). I acknowledge just how much they could fuck my shit up, so I try to avoid them as much as possible.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

I just spent two weeks on jury duty in Compton, CA. During voir dire, there was much discussion regarding jurors' attitudes towards policemen. Sadly, these fell along stereotypical lines -- the black jurors and the latino-with-accent jurors typically framed the question as, "Are there any circumstances in which I might actually believe a policeman's testimony?" This seemed to cut across economic boundaries, as there was a retired black man who owned several rental properties and seemed rather content with his life, and a younger black man who, as far as I could tell, was a researcher in the mental health field: they didn't trust cops at all.

And more sadly -- this is probably an over-simplification, but Compton is basically poor and mostly black, and during the day time, I could not find anyone breaking any traffic law at all. That's probably learned from experience.

When I was young and poor and looked much more hispanic, and my sister was hanging out with the guys who broke into the various stores in our (NYC) neighborhood, I knew that the cops were the people to avoid, but now I'm a bland middle-aged guy, and when I stopped at a restaurant yesterday whose name implied that they intended to sell high quality hamburgers, I counted SEVEN police cars in the lot. My only thought was, "This must be a good place to get a burger." Some others' experiences would lead them to think, "I'd better make sure the lights on my car work ,and double-check my registration sticker, and hell, maybe I'll just go to a different restaurant." Which is sad, because that place (The Locker on Hawthorne and Torrance Blvd in Torrance), makes a damn fine, if over-priced, burger.

In any case, I think there are people who have generally negative experiences with cops that they can back up with anecdotal evidence, and there are others, like me, who've only interacted with them when getting well-deserved traffic tickets, and find them to be generally likeable guys who have difficult jobs.

[aside]
In the trial, the problem wasn't actually who to believe -- I assumed the cops' testimony was basically true, and they didn't prove the case, and some other jurors suspected the police had possibly embellished things, and also didn't prove the case.
[/aside]
Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 AM

I wonder how much the police pay for their burgers?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 AM

None of my experiences with police have been good, so I'm a bit jaded. In theory I think they do a thankless job and are needlessly hated. On the other hand, as long as we never interact ever ever then we'll all be just fine.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Which police? Nacionales, Civiles, munipas, foralitos, Ertzantza, Gendarmerie, MDPD, Philly PD, Federales, FBI...?

Last edited by Nava; 09-17-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I worked in a fast food place when I was in high school. We gave the police free meals. This led to a pretty regular police presence in our store, which the manager figured was a good thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I work with/for the police, but am not a peace officer myself. They are mostly normal people, but have a bit of an edge that most "civilians" don't - it is necessary for dealing with their "regular clients". Unfortunately, this edge can influence some of the less intelligent/experienced/well-trained ones and their interactions with the general public. The blue wall can have a negative effect as well. But with those caveats, I do think they are in a usually near-impossible situation at most times - they are expected to be a tool of law and order, but also never impede on any rights in doing so - and make a series of serious, difficult snap judgements between those points regularly. And deal with the consequences.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Generally, they do a good job. My one complaint is that they always defend other cops who don't do a good job.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM

I think they're like any other occupational group. Most of them pretty much want to do their job, earn their paycheck, and go home. The nature of their job demands a sort of hyper-vigilance that I imagine isn't really healthy.

Some individual police officers are, I'm sure, outstanding, wonderful, upstanding people. Others are absolute dirtbags. That's not unique to their profession - you get the same general spread in lawyers, or politicians, or any other job that allocates an individual power.

Of course there's room for improvement - again, just like any other profession. But overall, I believe that most police are honestly trying to do their best in a thankless, frustrating and occasionally highly dangerous job.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 AM

In my encounters with them they've been nothing but professional and courteous. Mind you, that's how I also treat them.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I feel the same way, with the caveat that i think every single one of them would lie and cover up for the bad cops. Most never get put in that situation, the ones that do always do the wrong thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 AM

I've always had good encounters with them. And a standing police force is necessary for those of us who are unwilling or unable to defend ourselves from the ogres of society, of which there are many. They have to deal with a public that hates and fears them and instill law and order some how - of course there is always room for improvement, but generally I think they do fine.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM

I guess I see the top two responses as not being exclusive. I have a great deal of respect for them, but no one is perfect so there is always room for improvement. I live across the street from a high school and on Friday and Saturday nights, there is a sheriff pulling past our house, up to the school about every hour after midnight. They are quite active in our neighborhood.

Two weeks ago, a cab stopped at the end of our driveway, the guy staggered out, and as the cab drove away, he grabbed onto our tree, slid down it, and decided to take a nap at the base of our tree. We were unsure of what to do - no reason to call the cops, he's sleeping, but still, we were uncomfortable going to sleep ourselves, as we had no idea who it was. 15 minutes later, a sheriff drives by on his usual route, and within 5 minutes there were 4 sheriff's cars at the end of the driveway, waking up the poor sucker and hauling him off. No action on my part needed.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM

In my experience, the police have utterly failed to produce their intended effect. Their supposed purpose is "to serve and protect", and yet in the two instances in my life where I was very much in danger, they didn't come through, and it was only because of my own self-preservation that I made it through both incidents without harm.

Worse, on multiple occassions I've been harrassed by police and directly threatened when I was unwilling to waive my rights. One time I was swarmed by police after leaving a store, they blocked in my car and insisted on searching it insisting I had stolen merchandise in it (which I most assuredly did not). When I refused to allow them to search my vehicle, they started making empty threats, refusing to let me leave, and called my dad (I was 18, and his name was on the registration), only letting me go after he implied threat of legal action.

On another case, I was pulled over late at night for mildly speeding (like 40 in a 35), they insisted they smelled pot in the car (and I've never touched the stuff), and threatened to tear apart my car and insisting I would go to jail. Fortunately, I had friends in the car who overheard it, and after denying them access, ensuring that they heard their threats, and they proceeded to search anyway, they quickly bolted without giving me a ticket when I tried to get their badge numbers so I could press charges.

On another case, a cop came to the door claiming he had a warrant for one of my brother's friends and asked if I was him. I asked him to present the warrant and he refused. He then insisted I present ID and of course, being at home, I didn't have my wallet on me and it was upstais; when I told him that, he barged through the door and grabbed him. Fortunately, my father and brother were home, I screamed for them and they came to witness the commotion. As my dad and brother and I were yelling at him as he continued to assault me, the cop who was apparently in charge noticed the commotion, came to the door, and made him let go of me. As we insisted he give us his name and badge number so we could file a complaint and press charges, the cop who assaulted me quickly went back to his car, and the cop who broke it up refused to give it to us, insisting he'd handle it.

Now, I do of course think police are a necessity, because we need people who are able to enforce the laws, but I think they ultimately do more harm than good. The problem is, the police force self-selects for these sorts of people who enjoy the power trip and are bullies. If we didn't insist so much on having relatively meaningless laws constantly enforced (like minor speeding and parking violations), we could have a smaller force focusing more on enforcing more important crimes which would mean they could ultimately be more selective of who they let on the force which would, hopefully, reduce or even eliminate these cretins who abuse their power, overstep their bounds, or forget that the whole point of these laws is to protect our freedoms and so it's counter-productive when they stomp on our rights in the process of trying to enforce laws.

Sadly, at this point, I trust my abilities to protect myself from would-be assailants, thieves, or whatever else more than I trust the cops. Considering that I've been physically assaulted or threatened as many times by cops as I have by other people, I actually feel considerably less safe when I see cops around. Granted, the cops in this area are notorious for their assholery, but the sad part is, the worst thing I've ever done is speeding; I feel really sorry for the people who do minor things like smoke pot, some of their stories have been even worse than mine.

So, yeah, I voted the fifth option. They seem to do more harm than good and, in fact, I think they're largely unnecessary in many parts of the country.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I worked in a fast food place when I was in high school. We gave the police free meals. This led to a pretty regular police presence in our store, which the manager figured was a good thing.
I worked in a fast food place, but we didn't comp the officers' meals. The manager would offer them free soda, but they would decline. There were officers who ate at our place frequently, despite paying full price for their meals. This was in the Denver area, mainly in the cities of Lakewood and Englewood.

I have never had a negative experience with a police officer. My only dealings with them have been with traffic citations, and sometimes the officers would let me off with a warning since I'm always polite and cooperative with them.

Last edited by cochrane; 09-17-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm confident that most police are decent enough, but I don't know which ones are decent and which ones aren't so I don't really trust any of them.

I'm sure a cop could write the exact same thing regarding the civilians he has to deal with every day, but at least he has the luxury of being allowed to defend himself from them.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM

In other parts of the country I have met police who were professional and courteous. But never here. So, as long as I am home, I hate them.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM

I've never had any problem with them but I don't trust them because they are above the law. Some years ago, several police murdered a man and it was all caught on a video tape, but they were never convicted of anything. The story is that a guy (a known-to-the-police lowlife, to be sure) came into a Dunkin Donuts to complain that a cop car had doubled-parked him and he wanted them to move. Instead of moving, they beat him to a pulp and he died about a year later, never having regained consciousness. The doughnut shop had a video recorder that ran all the time and they saved the tape.

A couple years ago, a guy who was suspected (probably correctly) was asleep at his summer cottage when the cops raided it at 4AM without warning. They broke down the door of his cottage, went to the bedroom, managed to shoot his sleeping wife (who recovered) and he picked up the gun from his bed table and shot and killed one of the cops. They tried him for murder, he was acquitted, but still jailed because the gun, although registered to him was registered at his home address.

So, I think most cops are fine, but no cop is ever convicted of any wrong doing and so they can be out of control.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Most cops I've dealt with are bullies just doing the minimum they can get away with.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM

I love how some posters seem to imply that if you've not done anything wrong, the police are your friends, and it's only people acting criminally that have anything to fear from them. That is so not true.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
So, I think most cops are fine, but no cop is ever convicted of any wrong doing and so they can be out of control.
Bullshit.

Cite #1

Cite #2

Cite #3

Cite #4

There are another five million+ hits to the simple google search: police officer convicted
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster Master View Post
On another case, a cop came to the door claiming he had a warrant for one of my brother's friends and asked if I was him. I asked him to present the warrant and he refused. He then insisted I present ID and of course, being at home, I didn't have my wallet on me and it was upstais; when I told him that, he barged through the door and grabbed him. Fortunately, my father and brother were home, I screamed for them and they came to witness the commotion. As my dad and brother and I were yelling at him as he continued to assault me, the cop who was apparently in charge noticed the commotion, came to the door, and made him let go of me. As we insisted he give us his name and badge number so we could file a complaint and press charges, the cop who assaulted me quickly went back to his car, and the cop who broke it up refused to give it to us, insisting he'd handle it.
...why didn't you just say, 'No, officer, I am Blaster Master'. There. Problem solved. Cop out of your house. Everyone happy!

Unless you were covering for the friend, in which case, my sympathy is diminished.

To answer the OP, I took the 'good, but could always use work' option. Of course, the extent of my dealings with the po-po have been being a passenger when a family member gets a speeding ticket and one mandatory stopcheck.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

I have a lot of respect for our local cops (the only ones I have any experience with), who are expected to keep everyone safe against rising crime problems with ever-lessening resources, who constantly try to keep our many rowdy college students from killing themselves in various creative ways against their will, and who are routinely assumed to be evil, though in fact they are a good force. They take a lot of undeserved abuse.

We have a couple of good friends who are in the local forces, really good guys. They go through some dangerous things, and they work hard. It's a job that damages you, I think. And seeing such constant criminality makes it easy to think that most people are bad guys.

I also think there are some things inherent in the job that make it easy to cross a line. I think many probably overestimate their ability to judge when someone is innocent or guilty--which is part of a general weakness of human nature. Same for the ability to abuse power. That doesn't make it OK, but it also means that it would happen to virtually anyone in such a position, including me.

The bottom-of-the-barrel reality cop show, Campus PD, had a good time in our town. Here's a sample--a friend of ours is in the segment but is not the main guy. The segment cuts off early and doesn't show the girl vomiting hideously and being taken away in an ambulance with severe alcohol poisoning--if the cops hadn't spotted her she would quite likely have died. Not uncommon in our town at all.