The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Can I bring my newborn baby to someone else's baby shower?

Leaving him at home isn't really an option as he feeds pretty well constantly and doesn't seem to have the hang of a bottle yet.

I was invited, and the mom in question knows I have a newborn. Also, she's invited to my shower a week later and I hope she brings her little guy.

HOWEVER, it seems kind of douchy - like I'm trying to steal her thunder. Or her baby kanoodles. Or whatever.

So - what say you? FWIW, if the feeling is not to bring my baby, I'll just skip it and send a gift instead.
Advertisements  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

It should be obvious to her that generally newborns and moms can't be apart. However, that is not actually obvious to many people.

In any case, the answer is even more obvious - ask the host. If you say, "I just wanted to see if this was OK, because I can't really come if I can't bring the baby," in a pleasant, matter-of-fact manner, I can't see how that is rude or anything.

Likewise, you should tell her explicitly that her baby is welcome at your shindig, if you are the one in control of that.

But more importantly let me say, congratulations! Yay babies!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50 PM

I cannot even imagine why that would ever be a problem.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Most baby showers I've been to have had babies and children running all over the place. She's had her baby already, right? So he will be there? Are the same people coming to both showers? How far from home is the shower? Are you absolutely sure there is no way dad could cope for an hour? She knows you have a newborn. If you call and ask if you can bring the baby, she won't tell you no, no matter how she feels. Will everyone else there be expecting to see the baby,or are most of them her family who don't know you? I wouldn't mind if someone brought their baby,but you know your friend better...does she prefer to be the center of attention?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM

I'd just call the host and ask whether it's OK - most people would expect you to be bringing a newborn if they've invited you.

Slightly off topic - every baby shower I'd heard of is before the baby's born - but the OP mentions both her friend's and hers will be with the relevant baby attending. Is this common?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:46 PM

I agree with those who say to call and talk with her about it. I can't imagine she would mind, especially when you tell her that you want her to bring her newborn to your shower.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Baby showers almost always have babies, because expectant mothers are usually of an age to have friends who have babies.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Unless this is a formal event, like a wedding or funeral, or an explicitly adults-only event (party at a bar or club, wine tasting, paintball tournament, et cetera), it can be pretty much assumed and accepted that mothers will bring infants or toddlers unless the invitation says explicitly otherwise. If you want to be certain, you should contact the host and ask about accommodations for infants, but I think it unlikely you'll be the only guest to bring a newfling, unless all of her other guests are motorcycle gang members and escapees from a retirement home.

As for trying to steal her thunder, I have to admit an ignorance about all things pertaining to the internal operation of the female mind, but it has been my observational experience that the presence of infants serves only to make women more enthused about the prospect of more babies, to a point of frenzy. I daresay you're doing the guest of honor no harm in regard to upstaging by bringing your youngling, unless of course he is going to entertain all with an imitation of Giacomo Vaghi performing Lucia di Lammermoor. That would be a hard act to follow, especially since your child has a few months head start on the competition.

Stranger
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post

Slightly off topic - every baby shower I'd heard of is before the baby's born - but the OP mentions both her friend's and hers will be with the relevant baby attending. Is this common?
Well the girls at work had a shower before he was born - this is more of an open house so people can meet him and pass him around like a football. I've never been like this but I've had many woman demand to hold him 'cus holding a baby is the best thing ever, even if it's not yours.

Stranger, Tyler is actually only about a week older than the guest of honour so they would likely be doing a duet, not an aria.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM

You cannot bring a newborn baby anywhere because they are slobbery and poopy and gross and a real bring down.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
You cannot bring a newborn baby anywhere because they are slobbery and poopy and gross and a real bring down.
Although, to be frank, this is true with many adults as well.

Stranger
Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Yes you can.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 AM

I can't imagine why not! It's a baby shower, not a bachelorette party with a wanna-be Chippendale. Every baby shower I've been to had at least one mom with her new baby; it was mostly close friends and relatives getting together, and if a mom left her baby home, you'd hear wailing, "why didn't you bring your little one, we all wanted to see him!" Unless the mom wants an afternoon out with people, without her little barnacle, I would say it's fine to bring him/her. Maybe you'd want to call and ask first, but who is going to say "NO, adults only, you'll have to leave that baby at home!"
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post
I'd just call the host and ask whether it's OK - most people would expect you to be bringing a newborn if they've invited you.

I don't know about the situation in the OP's case, but I know that in Chinese families (my wife is Chinese) the tradition is to hold a party with gifts a couple of months after the baby is born.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
Although, to be frank, this is true with many adults as well.

Stranger
So, are we calling this a bad thing????

Best wishes,
hh
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

I thought baby showers were given, before the baby arrived. If an event is held after the baby arrives, it is more commonly called a "sip 'n see".

Oh, and ETA - definitely bring your baby.

Last edited by Omar Little; 09-27-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
HOWEVER, it seems kind of douchy - like I'm trying to steal her thunder. Or her baby kanoodles. Or whatever.
Seriously? The existence of babies in the world steals her thunder? Heck, might as well give it all up.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
Seriously? The existence of babies in the world steals her thunder? Heck, might as well give it all up.
Well, not the mere existence of babies in the world. However, when there's a party to honour her baby maybe it's rude for me to bring my baby, particularly since my baby is cuter.

That's a joke, BTW. As my husband and I discussed while I was still preggers - even if baby was totally funny looking he and I would have no idea at all and her baby is very, very cute.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Yes, you can. However, it's also expected that you pass him/her around to anyone who wants asks to hold him/her.

Them's the rules.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Just how oversensitive and selfish would a new Mom have to be to ban other babies from her baby shower? I doubt there's anyone like that - at least anyone who has friends. So don't worry, and have fun.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I've been to dozens of baby showers and I can't imagine other moms not bringing their newborns/babes. Only exception is older toddlers or children coming to a shower in someone's home that might not be child-friendly or at a restaurant where the host is paying per head.

I can't imagine a newborn "stealing someone's thunder". It would be the equivalent of another married woman stealing a bride's thunder at a bridal shower.
"You don't sound like you're very happy! I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs! It's the little critters of nature! They don't know that they're ugly! That's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee! I told ya I'd shoot, but ya didn't believe me! WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!!!"
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisam2009 View Post
Just how oversensitive and selfish would a new Mom have to be to ban other babies from her baby shower? I doubt there's anyone like that - at least anyone who has friends. So don't worry, and have fun.
I would imagine the same sort of women who end up on Bridezillas. Somehow, they still seem to have friends. It boggles the mind, it does.