The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
alice_in_wonderland alice_in_wonderland is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Can I bring my newborn baby to someone else's baby shower?

Leaving him at home isn't really an option as he feeds pretty well constantly and doesn't seem to have the hang of a bottle yet.

I was invited, and the mom in question knows I have a newborn. Also, she's invited to my shower a week later and I hope she brings her little guy.

HOWEVER, it seems kind of douchy - like I'm trying to steal her thunder. Or her baby kanoodles. Or whatever.

So - what say you? FWIW, if the feeling is not to bring my baby, I'll just skip it and send a gift instead.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Unauthorized Cinnamon Unauthorized Cinnamon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 4,955
It should be obvious to her that generally newborns and moms can't be apart. However, that is not actually obvious to many people.

In any case, the answer is even more obvious - ask the host. If you say, "I just wanted to see if this was OK, because I can't really come if I can't bring the baby," in a pleasant, matter-of-fact manner, I can't see how that is rude or anything.

Likewise, you should tell her explicitly that her baby is welcome at your shindig, if you are the one in control of that.

But more importantly let me say, congratulations! Yay babies!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50 PM
impatien impatien is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I cannot even imagine why that would ever be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 PM
kittenblue kittenblue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 6,407
Most baby showers I've been to have had babies and children running all over the place. She's had her baby already, right? So he will be there? Are the same people coming to both showers? How far from home is the shower? Are you absolutely sure there is no way dad could cope for an hour? She knows you have a newborn. If you call and ask if you can bring the baby, she won't tell you no, no matter how she feels. Will everyone else there be expecting to see the baby,or are most of them her family who don't know you? I wouldn't mind if someone brought their baby,but you know your friend better...does she prefer to be the center of attention?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Girl From Mars Girl From Mars is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I'd just call the host and ask whether it's OK - most people would expect you to be bringing a newborn if they've invited you.

Slightly off topic - every baby shower I'd heard of is before the baby's born - but the OP mentions both her friend's and hers will be with the relevant baby attending. Is this common?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5,812
I agree with those who say to call and talk with her about it. I can't imagine she would mind, especially when you tell her that you want her to bring her newborn to your shower.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Baby showers almost always have babies, because expectant mothers are usually of an age to have friends who have babies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Stranger On A Train Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Unless this is a formal event, like a wedding or funeral, or an explicitly adults-only event (party at a bar or club, wine tasting, paintball tournament, et cetera), it can be pretty much assumed and accepted that mothers will bring infants or toddlers unless the invitation says explicitly otherwise. If you want to be certain, you should contact the host and ask about accommodations for infants, but I think it unlikely you'll be the only guest to bring a newfling, unless all of her other guests are motorcycle gang members and escapees from a retirement home.

As for trying to steal her thunder, I have to admit an ignorance about all things pertaining to the internal operation of the female mind, but it has been my observational experience that the presence of infants serves only to make women more enthused about the prospect of more babies, to a point of frenzy. I daresay you're doing the guest of honor no harm in regard to upstaging by bringing your youngling, unless of course he is going to entertain all with an imitation of Giacomo Vaghi performing Lucia di Lammermoor. That would be a hard act to follow, especially since your child has a few months head start on the competition.

Stranger
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
alice_in_wonderland alice_in_wonderland is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post

Slightly off topic - every baby shower I'd heard of is before the baby's born - but the OP mentions both her friend's and hers will be with the relevant baby attending. Is this common?
Well the girls at work had a shower before he was born - this is more of an open house so people can meet him and pass him around like a football. I've never been like this but I've had many woman demand to hold him 'cus holding a baby is the best thing ever, even if it's not yours.

Stranger, Tyler is actually only about a week older than the guest of honour so they would likely be doing a duet, not an aria.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM
voguevixen voguevixen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
You cannot bring a newborn baby anywhere because they are slobbery and poopy and gross and a real bring down.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Stranger On A Train Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
You cannot bring a newborn baby anywhere because they are slobbery and poopy and gross and a real bring down.
Although, to be frank, this is true with many adults as well.

Stranger
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Lust4Life Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Yes you can.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 AM
salinqmind salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
I can't imagine why not! It's a baby shower, not a bachelorette party with a wanna-be Chippendale. Every baby shower I've been to had at least one mom with her new baby; it was mostly close friends and relatives getting together, and if a mom left her baby home, you'd hear wailing, "why didn't you bring your little one, we all wanted to see him!" Unless the mom wants an afternoon out with people, without her little barnacle, I would say it's fine to bring him/her. Maybe you'd want to call and ask first, but who is going to say "NO, adults only, you'll have to leave that baby at home!"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
suranyi suranyi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post
I'd just call the host and ask whether it's OK - most people would expect you to be bringing a newborn if they've invited you.

Slightly off topic - every baby shower I'd heard of is before the baby's born - but the OP mentions both her friend's and hers will be with the relevant baby attending. Is this common?
I don't know about the situation in the OP's case, but I know that in Chinese families (my wife is Chinese) the tradition is to hold a party with gifts a couple of months after the baby is born.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
You cannot bring a newborn baby anywhere because they are slobbery and poopy and gross and a real bring down.
Although, to be frank, this is true with many adults as well.

Stranger
So, are we calling this a bad thing????


Best wishes,
hh
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
I thought baby showers were given, before the baby arrived. If an event is held after the baby arrives, it is more commonly called a "sip 'n see".

Oh, and ETA - definitely bring your baby.

Last edited by Omar Little; 09-27-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 25,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
HOWEVER, it seems kind of douchy - like I'm trying to steal her thunder. Or her baby kanoodles. Or whatever.
Seriously? The existence of babies in the world steals her thunder? Heck, might as well give it all up.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM
alice_in_wonderland alice_in_wonderland is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
HOWEVER, it seems kind of douchy - like I'm trying to steal her thunder. Or her baby kanoodles. Or whatever.
Seriously? The existence of babies in the world steals her thunder? Heck, might as well give it all up.
Well, not the mere existence of babies in the world. However, when there's a party to honour her baby maybe it's rude for me to bring my baby, particularly since my baby is cuter.

That's a joke, BTW. As my husband and I discussed while I was still preggers - even if baby was totally funny looking he and I would have no idea at all and her baby is very, very cute.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
PunditLisa PunditLisa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: 'burbs of Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,056
Yes, you can. However, it's also expected that you pass him/her around to anyone who wants asks to hold him/her.

Them's the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
SciFiSam SciFiSam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Just how oversensitive and selfish would a new Mom have to be to ban other babies from her baby shower? I doubt there's anyone like that - at least anyone who has friends. So don't worry, and have fun.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Winnie Winnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I've been to dozens of baby showers and I can't imagine other moms not bringing their newborns/babes. Only exception is older toddlers or children coming to a shower in someone's home that might not be child-friendly or at a restaurant where the host is paying per head.

I can't imagine a newborn "stealing someone's thunder". It would be the equivalent of another married woman stealing a bride's thunder at a bridal shower.
__________________
"You don't sound like you're very happy! I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs! It's the little critters of nature! They don't know that they're ugly! That's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee! I told ya I'd shoot, but ya didn't believe me! WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM
congodwarf congodwarf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisam2009 View Post
Just how oversensitive and selfish would a new Mom have to be to ban other babies from her baby shower? I doubt there's anyone like that - at least anyone who has friends. So don't worry, and have fun.
I would imagine the same sort of women who end up on Bridezillas. Somehow, they still seem to have friends. It boggles the mind, it does.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.