The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Getting rid of Chlorine smell on skin

I've started going to a water exercise class. My skin smells like Chlorine afterward. How can I get rid of that smell?
Advertisements  
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Shower after class?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM

The shower after swimming has not seemed to be very helpful in getting rid of the Chlorine odor.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

This might be better suited for IMHO.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Winter is Coming

Moving this to IMHO. GQ might also work, but I think we'll try IMHO first.

Game Room -> IMHO.

Gukumatz
Game Room Moderator
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks, I put it in Game Room since it was a "sports" activity, but I don't care where it ends up if I can get some good ideas on how to deal with this!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 AM

I haven't found a solution yet. The chlorine is trapped in your skin pores, and releases slowly. Getting an additional sweat on after the swim (and before your shower) can help, but is not always practical. I tend to just live with it - as fair as I can tell, no-one actually cares, it is not B.O or anything unpleasant. Whatever you do, don't try to cover the chlorine with clouds of deodorant - that is a odour problem far worse than the chlorine itself.

Si
Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Ivory Soap. So far, it's the only thing that's worked on me. Bar, not gel or liquid.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Wet yourself down before you get into the pool, that can help.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

I've seen a few bodywashes over the years that claim to help with "chlorine residue". Don't recall the names, and never tried them, because a good shower with a decent soap tends to do it for me.

It's hair that I notice holds on to the chlorine scent the most, particularly when it's re-wetted. But after growing up with brassy, metallic hair because I swam so much, I'm in the habit of using UltraSwim shampoo & conditioner after swimming. My hairstylist still knows when I have or haven't been swimming, but no chlorine scent at least.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudytat72 View Post
Thanks, I put it in Game Room since it was a "sports" activity, but I don't care where it ends up if I can get some good ideas on how to deal with this!
Silly Question: Why would you want to? Is it that annoying? I'm only asking because sometimes a very light smell of chlorine can smell amazing on a woman.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest View Post
Wet yourself down before you get into the pool, that can help.
I tried this today and it helped a lot. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
Silly Question: Why would you want to? Is it that annoying? I'm only asking because sometimes a very light smell of chlorine can smell amazing on a woman.
It is a very light smell. And ,yes, I do find it annoying. I have a very sensitive sense of smell. I'm trying to find a way to exercise more, and any excuse I can eliminate will help. Dammit, where is my endorphin "high"-never have had one.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It is a very light smell. And ,yes, I do find it annoying. I have a very sensitive sense of smell. I'm trying to find a way to exercise more, and any excuse I can eliminate will help. Dammit, where is my endorphin "high"-never have had one.
Ok. Best of luck on the exercise routine; 21 days forms the habit and all that.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Stop being some germ ridden. You get out of a chlorinated pool, and the chlorine is still wiping out little buggers on you. That's the smell of germ/cell death, baby. That's what 'chlorine smell' is. It's death, not chlorine. Stop being some darn dirty!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

There are 'sports shampoos' (I buy the kid version for my daughter in the summertime, since she loves to swim) that claim to wash the chlorine out of your hair. It seems to work on her hair. I wonder if using that kind of shampoo (L'Oreal makes one, but so does Suave, and Suave is a lot less expensive) as a 'first pass' body wash might help?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Stop being some germ ridden. You get out of a chlorinated pool, and the chlorine is still wiping out little buggers on you. That's the smell of germ/cell death, baby. That's what 'chlorine smell' is. It's death, not chlorine. Stop being some darn dirty!
How the heck did I turn "so" into "some" twice?!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Oh, so its not the chlorine smell that is bothering me, its really the multitude of tiny screams from the dying germs. maybe some earplugs would help
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, so its not the chlorine smell that is bothering me, its really the multitude of tiny screams from the dying germs. maybe some earplugs would help
...and whatever you do, don't click this link...