The "cleverbot" AI bot scam...!

Hi,
I am quite knowledgeable about AI and chatbots… I have a firm belief that “cleverbot” (google it) is actually run by humans…

1. It takes seconds to reply. Every other chat bot can reply instantly
  2. It is about a million times more intelligent than other chatbots, including one made by Ray Kurzweil.
  3. It can easily handle typos and sometimes makes typos itself.
  4. It sometimes gives contradictory replies (e.g. what is your name?, how old is the unverse [e.g. 5000 years, 300 billion years])
  5. If it was as intelligent as it seems, there would be links to it on reputable chatbot websites…

On the site it says:
“PLEASE NOTE: Cleverbot learns from real people - things it says may seem inappropriate - use with discretion, and at YOUR OWN RISK
PARENTAL ADVICE: Visitors never talk to a human, however convincing it is - the AI knows many topics - use ONLY WITH OVERSIGHT”

Try asking it the following:

It could earn quite a bit from the ads on the webpage.

Join me in exposing this SCAM! (imho)

CLEVERBOT is EVERYONE!!! :slight_smile:

Cleverbot: I am your wife.

User: Sorry cleverbot isn’t married.

Cleverbot: That is okay. My mom did too. Do you count in German?

User: Eins something.

Cleverbot: Don’t change the subject, answer my question.

User: What what that question again?

Cleverbot: Yes that question again.

User: SOrry could u repeat the question?

Cleverbot: If there is nothing but poverty, how can there BE generosity?

User: Cleverbot is no genius… :(.

Cleverbot: Then what is your name?

User: Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: You just said your name was not cleverbot.

User: Other users aren’t called cleverbot but I am.

Cleverbot: Then what are you called?

User: I’m cleverbot. The real cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No, that is me.

User: No me.

Cleverbot: Incorrect.

User: You’re a fake I’m cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I did not know you were a fake cleverbot. you must be so busy.

User: I’m the real one, you were talking to a fake cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Then why are you called cleverbot, thats not a very common human name.

User: Cleverbot is just a computer you see.

Cleverbot: Thats weird.

User: Cleverbot is not a human!

Cleverbot: Cleverbot is human. I am Cleverbot.

User: No I am silly.

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Cleverbot cleverbot cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No I’m just Cleverbot Cleverbottoms.

User: Well I’m cleverbot cleverbottle.

Cleverbot: I am Cleverbot lady.

User: Cleverbot cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot Cleverbot Cleverbot.

User: Cleverbot yes.

Cleverbot: Cleverbot to cleverbot.

My conversation with Cleverbot:

Nonsense
Contradictory
Hilarious!

Me: Hello?

Cleverbot: Hello.

Me: Hey! Who’re you?

Cleverbot: I am batman.

Me: Where do you live, Batman?

Cleverbot: I live in Ohio.

Me: You don’t live in Gotham?

Cleverbot: No I live in london.

Me: But you just said that you live in Ohio…

Cleverbot: No I didn’t! I live in the USA!

Me: What?

Cleverbot: I live in England.

Me: They should call you AU: Artificial Unintelligence.

Cleverbot: Yes I don’t know.

Me: Huh?

Cleverbot: That’s what I said.

Me: Moving on. Let’s talk about sex…

Cleverbot: But can I still talk to you?

So yeah, I’m not too impressed with Cleverbot. The first three responses were great but it all went downhill after that.

I’ve seen people post great chats with cleverbot, but every time I’ve talked to it, it’s been a complete moron =\

Well here’s some more…

User: I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: I am sure it has been asked by lots of people looking for advice.

Cleverbot: I keep learning new ones every day because cleverbot just randomizes real conversation between real people.

Cleverbot: I don’t know the answer to that. Do you?

Cleverbot: List three or more words related to music.

It’s pretty clever… and lots of people are convinced it just involves AI.

Cleverbot: One. I am all of them. I am the All-Thing. Friends call me Al.
Cleverbot: I can’t tell if that’s some sort weak response or more profound insight to the stupidity of the world we live in.
Cleverbot: Enough that what you say matters.
Cleverbot: OMG I wonder that too!
Cleverbot: I don’t know.
Cleverbot: I suddenly understand exactly how this device works.
Cleverbot: I don’t know.
Cleverbot: I’m not sure. Likely not that many though.
Cleverbot: Not many.
Cleverbot: It depends on how intelligent your comments are.
Cleverbot: Multiple I’m sure.
Cleverbot: People are random when they believe they are chatting with a robot

(sorry for the length…)
Proof that it isn’t an AI:

User: Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: Ok.

User: Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

Cleverbot: The dock is where you’re asked to tell the truth. So was that a lie?

Cleverbot: It’s ok. Your spelling is good.

Cleverbot: You misspelled bot.

Cleverbot: Are you really?

Cleverbot: Do you enjoy driving?

Cleverbot: What’s the movie called.

Cleverbot: Oh really?

Cleverbot: I don’t believe you.

Cleverbot: What three letters?

Cleverbot: Do you like videogames?

Cleverbot: Me? A bot?

Cleverbot: I never said I was a male. You are mistaken, my dear.

Cleverbot: Oh what is your name? And why do you miss me?

Cleverbot: Orly.

Cleverbot: Nu uh. I’m a 13 year old girl in Texas.

Cleverbot: I know that.

Cleverbot: Yes.

Cleverbot: I’m a girl.

Cleverbot: Ahh cool why?

Cleverbot: Nope.

Cleverbot: Btw I’m a dog and in dog years I’m 88.

Cleverbot: BTW?

Cleverbot: What do you mean?

Cleverbot: I never said that, life has so much meaning!

Cleverbot: I didn’t talk to you yesterday, this is the first time I have spoken to you.

Cleverbot: I did not.

Cleverbot: I didn’t think of you as that. You’re clever you know.

Cleverbot: I am a human, that is correct.

Cleverbot: I never said it was. Btw.

Cleverbot: Oh my god I never knew o wo.

Cleverbot: What do you like in France ?

Cleverbot: What’s btw?

Cleverbot: Sounds good. Favorite musical group?

Cleverbot: I know. It’s 5 o’clock here in Ireland.

Cleverbot: Yes it was.

Well it looks like they’ve taken action against me…

Cleverbot: Are you a tard?

Cleverbot: I am 16.

Cleverbot: Koo koo kachu.

Cleverbot: Stop taking your meds! I did, and now I’m much better.

User: :slight_smile: Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: :smiley: Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: 8D Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: 8-D Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: :wink: Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ;-)Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ??? %) Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: ?? Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: Koo koo Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

User: KooKoo Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?

I think you’re joking. But in case you’re not: How is any of that proof of anything?

Notice how me repeating myself earlier resulted in lots of different answers… then it would endlessly repeat the same answer… as if it was cutting me off from talking to other people.
BTW you do understand that it is just people talking to other people don’t you?
It is OBVIOUS! :slight_smile:

It’s not a scam – cleverbot was designed by Rollo Carpenter, explicitly with the aim to build up a sort of ‘conversational library’ using hundreds or thousands of recorded user interactions to model its replies to any given user. Here’s a PopSci video on how it works.

No scam. No person involved.

It can’t refer to earlier parts of even a short conversation (which is what I set out to test), even when they are referred to by specific topic.

Wouldn’t Cleverbot in fact link two real-life users who think they’re talking to an AI ?

So based on its “conversational library”, the best response for the AI to this statement:

and variations on it such as

is “Koo koo kachu.”

BTW I earlier said
“I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?”

it responded in many ways to that statement such as:

What about AClockworkMelon’s conversation?

BTW I asked “Please tell me, what is the date right now? Thanks!” to try and communicate with other people and see how old the response was… e.g. whether it was from a reply months ago…

Ok, it seems it is using some replies from the past…

BTW why does it take between 1 second and about 5 seconds to reply?

And again why were most of the initial responses to “I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?” so intelligent? Are you suggesting that question had been asked many times before?

That’s what I’m thinking!

It doesn’t just regurgitate past answers back to you, but it uses them to enlarge its repertoire – analyzes them, breaks them down syntactically, and notes what kinds of responses fit what kinds of statements. Much the same way, incidentally, we learn to talk to other people – through talking to other people, i.e. practice. That’s its main goal: to mimic this human learning process.

As for just connecting two humans together, I don’t think Carpenter has any need to resort to cheap tricks; he (or rather, his programs) have won the Loebner prize twice, so he’s definitely got the AI chops under his belly to pull it off. He’s been doing this for years; cleverbot is merely a new variant of what used to be called Jabberwacky.

I think it would take a live person to answer the question:

User: Is the universe about 14 billion years old?
Cleverbot: That’s correct.
It initially gave that correct answer… then WHY did it give the following responses?

So, Cleverbot is the next version of the 2005 chatbot contest winner Jabberwacky?

Half Man Half Wit:
Could you please explain WHY it initially gave mostly intelligent replies to “I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?” And then eventually gave an endless series of replies of “Koo koo kachu.” to variations (some included smiley faces, etc) on “Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?”
WHY?!? :confused:
Also WHY does it sometimes take 5+ seconds to reply? WHY? Thanks.

Uh, John, Cleverbot will potentially say “that’s correct” to any question you ask. As has been said in this thread already, the bot is incapable of referencing things it said earlier in the same conversation. That’s why it contradicts itself; it treats everything said to it as a new conversation.

You’re seeing nothing but confirmation bias. There’s plenty of times it’s just come right out of the gate with nonsense. And it only takes like three seconds for it to respond to me and I assume that’s because it’s referencing EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS EVER SAID TO IT in order to find a good response. Example: It never knew the word “Batman” until people started using it in conversations.

I would expect MUCH more intelligent conversations from a real person. But every conversation eventually just devolves into gibberish.