The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Why are so many contests and special offers "void in the Province of Quebec"?

I was filling out a rebate slip for a product and noticed "this offer is void in Quebec". I have noticed this on contest entry forms as well.

I know a lot of contests are "void where prohibited", and others have special restrictions [i.e. residents of WA do not have to enclose a SASE] but why are so many "void in Quebec"? Is it a language thing? Taxes? Someone in the government isn't getting their cut?
Advertisements  
Old 01-31-2001, 11:18 AM

Apparently as regards contests and order forms, each state/province is allowed to set up their own rules.

Other observations:

Contest entrants in Canada have to pass some sort of pre-screening intelligence test, which Americans don't.

There are a couple of states, VT and WA maybe, which require that certain contests be conducted through toll-free numbers and not 900 numbers. (Noticed this one during the early weeks of Millionaire, in which residents of these states could bypass the $1.50 call).

For that matter, I think these are the same two states which don't require that you send in a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope when you want free game pieces mailed to you from McDonalds!

That always bugged me incidentally. They say "No Purchase Necessary", but what they really mean is that you can either get two "free" game pieces if you buy their supersize fries or drink, or you can spend 64 cents to have two "free" game pieces mailed to you!
Old 01-31-2001, 11:38 AM

I dunno why things are "void in Quebec", but here's somebody who's really upset it about it.

http://pages.infinit.net/habhead/
Quote:
Are you sick of getting excited about an interesting “Canadian” or “Cross Canada” contest only to see those dreaded words “...except residents of the province of Quebec” or “Void in Quebec...” ?

Lets do something about it!

Send an E-mail to your MNA to convince the Quebec government to change their “Mafia like Give-me-a-piece-of-the-action” law.

< snip >

Here is a list of companies that deserve attention due to their apathetic attitude towards us. Maybe we should treat them the same way: The Greedy Bastards List

~ Here is a list of companies with contests open to Quebecers: The Nice Guys

~ And here is a link to les boys at the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux Their site has been down for a long time.

Here is an alternate site Ministère de la Sécurité publique
Old 02-01-2001, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

This is just my guess, but I believe under Quebec's language laws, all contracts offered generally to consumers must be in French, at a minimum. The offer can be repeated in other languages, like English, but an offer in English only is void.
Old 02-06-2001, 09:36 AM

Here is the relevant section of the Government of Quebec's gambling law.

(By the way, I also searched through the Charter of the French Language (Quebec's infamous "Bill 101") but couldn't find any reference to prohibitions on language in relation to contests. If someone else found that, could you let us know.)

Anyway, here is the regulation (French version follows):

Chapter L-6

AN ACT RESPECTING LOTTERIES, PUBLICITY CONTESTS AND AMUSEMENT MACHINES

Duties. 58. A person for whom a publicity contest is carried on in which the total value of the prizes offered exceeds $100 must pay to the board, at the same time as he sends the form provided for in section 59, the following duties:
(a) 10%; of the value of a prize offered to contestants from Québec exclusively;
(b) 3%; of the value of a prize offered to a group of contestants from Canada exclusively, when that group includes contestants from Québec;
(c) 0.5%; of the value of a prize offered to any other group of contestants including contestants from Québec.

LOI SUR LES LOTERIES, LES CONCOURS PUBLICITAIRES ET LES APPAREILS D'AMUSEMENT
L.R.Q., c. L-6.

DROITS SUR LES CONCOURS PUBLICITAIRES
Droits à payer.
58. Une personne au bénéfice de laquelle est tenu un concours publicitaire dont la valeur totale des prix offerts dépasse 100 $ doit payer à la Régie, en même temps qu'est transmise la formule prévue par l'article 59, les droits suivants:
a) 10 % de la valeur d'un prix offert à des participants du Québec exclusivement;
b) 3 % de la valeur d'un prix offert à un ensemble de participants du Canada exclusivement, lorsque cet ensemble comprend des participants du Québec;
c) 0.5 % de la valeur d'un prix offert à tout autre ensemble de participants comprenant des participants du Québec.
1978, c. 36, a. 58.

Sources
English: http://publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc..../L_6/L6_A.html
French: http://publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc....lr/L_6/L6.html
Old 02-06-2001, 01:16 PM

Re: "Void in Quebec"

Actually, my wife and I voided in Ontario, right next to Lake Ontario in Toronto. We were stuck in traffic for about an hour, and when we finally found an exit it took us away from anyplace that might have a restroom. The road took us by an apartment complex next to the lake. We wandered off into the plant growth on the shore and did our business.
Old 02-07-2001, 12:22 PM

AWB, that's simply...

[to the beat of "Copacabana"]
Too much ... information.
Too much for us to know.
Too much for you to show.
On the SD ... the SDMB!