Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 PM

So, No Thoughts about Rahm Emmanuel Yet?

I thought this would be all over Straight Dope Chicago, but I guess not.

I must admit to being torn at the thought of Rahm as Da Mare. I actually kinda like what I hear about the guy, although I don't think I'd want to work for him. But the City Council could use some buttkicking.

But still, as a Chicagoan, I don't appreciate the "done deal" assumption of this. Like Rahm is just gonna waltz in from Washington and all of Chicago will be at his feet, at least that's what the media talk sounds like. I think the next mayoral election is going to be one down and dirty fight, and no way does Rahm have an automatic lock on this.

Sure, Rahm is a Chicagoan, but he's more an outsider than any of the others considering a run.

I just don't like it when national types take Chicago's acquiescence for granted. I mean, Marshall Field's? Fuck you, it's Macy's now.

I gotta say though, a great poster slogan for Rahm would be "Vote for me or go fuck yourself."
Advertisements  
Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 PM

I've been wondering what Chicagoans thought about him as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Surprisingly little has been written about this. I'll see if I can persuade the Master to get the ball rolling next week.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 PM

My suspicion (and I am, by no means, an expert, though I've been watching Chicago politics for two decades, having moved here a few weeks after Daley II took office) is that Emanuel will suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room for the Democratic candidates, particularly the non-black ones. There are several blacks considering runs, and, if most or all of them enter, it seems likely that they'll split most of the black vote between them. If that happens, it seems to me that Rahm would likely get the nomination.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
My suspicion (and I am, by no means, an expert, though I've been watching Chicago politics for two decades, having moved here a few weeks after Daley II took office) is that Emanuel will suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room for the Democratic candidates, particularly the non-black ones. There are several blacks considering runs, and, if most or all of them enter, it seems likely that they'll split most of the black vote between them. If that happens, it seems to me that Rahm would likely get the nomination.
Kenobi, there is no nomination. It's a non-partisan, anyone-can-enter-who-wants-to, election. If nobody gets over 50%, the top two have a runoff. In the scenario you describe, the top black candidate and Rahm would be in the runoff.

Personally, I'm not so sure that Rahm will get that many votes. Chicagoans consider themselves a breed apart, and don't cotton to outsiders, even outsiders who were born here. I suspect someone with better local bona-fides could kick Rahm's ass at the polls.

I'm still holding out for Da Coach!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Kenobi, there is no nomination. It's a non-partisan, anyone-can-enter-who-wants-to, election. If nobody gets over 50%, the top two have a runoff. In the scenario you describe, the top black candidate and Rahm would be in the runoff.
Silly suburban me!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 PM

I no longer reside in Chicago, but my $0.02 is that Rahm seems like a crafty and opportunistic carpetbagger. This is not to say he wouldn't be an effective mayor, but it doesn't help his chances of being elected.

Again from afar, I can't help but think the black community in Chicago would really prefer a black man/woman.

Don't know about the Latino community. Might it not hold the key to someone getting elected, similar to how the independents hold the key to national/presidential elections?

Does Rahm's candidacy not put Obama in an awkward position? On one hand, Rahm has been a loyal Obama supporter, but will Obama take heat from the black community if he supports a white candidate, especially a north sider?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM

I'm a suburbanite too, so I don't have a vote. But I'll be surprised if Rahm doesn't walk away with it.

We'll see.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Hi SDT- I may be wrong here, but I believe the white, black, and Latino factions are pretty much equally balanced in Chicago these days. Nobody can grab power without forming a coalition with at least one other faction. That was Daley's genius: he managed to appeal to everyone. At least, enough to get their votes.

I don't see anyone else with that kind of cross-faction appeal today. Maybe Rahm thinKs he will get black and white support through his Obama connection. It will be interesting.......TRM (who lives in the city and WILL vote..... at least once)

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 10-07-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm just hoping we see more pics of him in ballet tights.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 PM

A couple of things

First of all, there's an election in a month. I want to get through that one before I even think about February.

Emanuel and Obama don't exactly go way back. There's no real reason Obama has to endorse anyone for Mayor, and I don't think he will.

Emanuel was my Congressman before taking the WH job, and he's hardly a carpetbagger. He was *here* a lot during that time, and was effective in getting stuff for the district. This does not mean I am automatically voting for him--I want to see who else is running, I want to weigh my options.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I'm a suburbanite too, so I don't have a vote. But I'll be surprised if Rahm doesn't walk away with it.

We'll see.
I'm a Chicagoan, and I will be somewhat surprised if he does walk away with it. I'm not saying he can't win the nomination, obviously, but I'm having a real difficult time seeing Chicagoans relating to him. I think it's going to be a very close race, and I don't think Rahm is going to end up on top. We'll see indeed. I'd actually be happy to give him a chance to captain the ship (I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet), but the word in my neck of the woods seems to be mostly negative so far.

At this point, my money is on Tom Dart.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-12-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 PM

I ran into a Rahm minion collecting signatures for him at Clark and Diversey today. I asked him, what are some of Rahm's platform positions? What does he plan for the city? Where does he stand on some of the issues?

He said Rahm hasn't formulated any positions yet, and isn't even sure he is running yet. I told him, no thanks, I'm not interested in signing.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
At this point, my money is on Tom Dart.
Well, so much for that. Looks like he's not running. Intriguing.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM

I heard Gery Chico interviewed on the radio yesterday (WLS). He seemed very prepared, with some well-thought out ideas that sounded like they would be good for the city. He's my new favorite. For now.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I heard Gery Chico interviewed on the radio yesterday (WLS). He seemed very prepared, with some well-thought out ideas that sounded like they would be good for the city. He's my new favorite. For now.
Well, Chico is the one Daley been strongly hinting at being his favorite. Reason enough for me to be suspicious.

Pity about Dart. We'll see if anybody new throws their hat into the ring, given that big announcement.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 AM

I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring myself. So far, it's a bunch of lightweights. I can compete with them!

Another theory: the city is in a budget crisis. Whoever is the next mayor will have to face it, and will no doubt go down in flames for failing at an impossible task. And the city will then cry out for a savior. Maybe Richie will (grudgingly) come back to save the day after a one-term vacation?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring myself. So far, it's a bunch of lightweights. I can compete with them!
Emanuel's a lightweight?

At this point, it seems Rahm is the foregone conclusion, with Dart out of the race. We'll see when the candidates list is official, but with the current group of probable candidates, I will revise my prediction to Emanuel winning handily.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Now there seem to be a bunch of challenges to Rahm's eligibility, based on his lack of residency in our fair city for the last two years. I've heard many arguments on both sides of this equation. Does anyone have the straight dope? What exactly are the residency requirements? And does he meet them? And if he doesn't, does he have the clout to get approved anyway?

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 11-27-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
Surprisingly little has been written about this. I'll see if I can persuade the Master to get the ball rolling next week.
While you're there, can you convince Him to run?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Now there seem to be a bunch of challenges to Rahm's eligibility, based on his lack of residency in our fair city for the last two years. I've heard many arguments on both sides of this equation. Does anyone have the straight dope? What exactly are the residency requirements? And does he meet them? And if he doesn't, does he have the clout to get approved anyway?
According to WGN News it seems the relevant law has an exception for anyone who has been away for "business of the government of the United States."

Something tells me working for the President is likely to fall under that rule.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 12-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

The other guy is trying to make the case that this refers strictly to military service, but it doesn't actually say that as far as I know. I bet the challenge gets thrown out pretty quick.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
The Master has spoken here:

http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101202.php
Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkendall View Post
While you're there, can you convince Him to run?
But then he'd have to show His face.

And if He deserves a capital letter, that may not be a good thing for us mere mortals.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
Wow, this is like the third question of mine to get the Cecil treatment in the last year or so! I must be one of the leading sources of ignorance in Chicago!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

I haven't researched the first law beyond the snippet posted by Cecil, but it does not appear to require the year of residency to immediately precede the election....

Unless that is what "one year next preceding means."

Last edited by dcer; 12-03-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, this is like the third question of mine to get the Cecil treatment in the last year or so! I must be one of the leading sources of ignorance in Chicago!
Congrats, Tim, and when folks come knocking at your door to take your picture for the Guiness Book of Whirled Records, remember NOT to give them a credit card.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Rahm's group filed a friend of the court brief. Includes signatures from various legal heavyweights. Including two former Illinois attorneys general.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792929402.html

Sure sounds like the law is on his side.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM

'Where's Mine ?'

Considering this board veers nearer to the Democratic end, and has a strong link to Chicago, I'm rather amazed that so far there has been no thrilled triumphal rejoicing over the fact that as one chief of staff returns to Chicago ready to become mayor, his replacement not merely comes from Chicago, but is a son of her most famous mayor.

The symmetry is perfect.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Considering this board veers nearer to the Democratic end, and has a strong link to Chicago, I'm rather amazed that so far there has been no thrilled triumphal rejoicing over the fact that as one chief of staff returns to Chicago ready to become mayor, his replacement not merely comes from Chicago, but is a son of her most famous mayor.

The symmetry is perfect.
I believe I pointed that out in the Carol Mosely Braun thread. But you are right, it is an example of the universe enforcing near-perfect symmetry.....TRM (who was not "rejoicing" at the development)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 AM

Apologies, as you know vBulletin searches are infamously imperfect...

However there is one striking difference between the two men: Mr. Emanuel worked for Goldman Sachs. Mr. Daley worked for J. P. Morgan Chase.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 PM

http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101202.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Adams
Is it possible? In Bizarro World, which Chicago admittedly resembles at times, anything's possible. In our sector of the galaxy, no.
Apparently Cecil inhabits a different sector of the galaxy than the rest of us.

Court: Emanuel should be removed from mayoral ballot
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik View Post
Quote:
When he left for the White House, Emanuel rented his North Side home to Rob Halpin.

Halpin refused to move out when Emanuel returned to Chicago and briefly staged his own run for mayor.

Halpin applauded the ruling. “Now I feel vindicated by the court,” Halpin told WGN-AM radio.

Residency, Halpin said, is “one of the rights that goes with the rent payment.”

Halpin said “it’s very clear that only one resident” could be attached to a single residence, “unless it was some sort of hippie commune.”
I'm not sure how this whole thing will end up shaking out (though my money's on the Illinois Supreme Court ruling in Rahm's favor), but one thing I know for sure is that this Halpin guy is an asshole.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Halpin said “it’s very clear that only one resident” could be attached to a single residence, “unless it was some sort of hippie commune.”
What an idiotic thing to say! It's very common for more than one person to be resident in one residence, e.g., husband, wife and perhaps adult children.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
What an idiotic thing to say! It's very common for more than one person to be resident in one residence, e.g., husband, wife and perhaps adult children.
Clearly you're a hippy.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik View Post
Clearly you're a hippy.
I thought that one of the distinctive characteristics of hippies as that they didn't have a husband or wife, even though they might have children.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I thought that one of the distinctive characteristics of hippies as that they didn't have a husband or wife, even though they might have children.
Good point. I think he really means that non-hippies have their spouse and kids sleep outside.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Assuming today's ruling w/regard to RE's name not appearing on the ballot holds up, what does it do to his chances of getting elected?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
Assuming today's ruling w/regard to RE's name not appearing on the ballot holds up, what does it do to his chances of getting elected?
I assume you are just making a sly quip about the state of politics in Chicago. But on the off-chance you are asking if he could win as a write-in (which I've heard some people suggest), I suspect the ruling would knock that option out for him as well.

Although, in the end, my money is on the Supreme Court ruling in favor of his candidacy.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I assume you are just making a sly quip about the state of politics in Chicago. But on the off-chance you are asking if he could win as a write-in (which I've heard some people suggest), I suspect the ruling would knock that option out for him as well.

Although, in the end, my money is on the Supreme Court ruling in favor of his candidacy.
So far as I understand it, if he's not eligible to be on the ballot, he's not eligible as a write-in, either. Or rather, he's eligible as a write-in, but not eligible to take the office.

It seems like we're in a gray area.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Tim R. Mortiss, if I were into sly quips, and assuming he couldn't get elected as a write-in, I'd quip on the inability of Chicagoans to spell. Just kidding, of course.

BTW, with my understanding that RE holds a lead at this point, who would you say has the best chance of getting elected if RE were to limited to write-in status?

BTW II: As my borther and I were watching the Bears game from afar yesterday, he expressed an opinion that the the City will go to pot when Daley leaves office. Do many who actually live in Chicago feel this way?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
BANNED

Here is a link to the court's full written opinion:

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinion...ry/1110033.pdf

As far as I can tell from skimming the majority considers there to be
different definitions of the word "residency" as it applies to (1) voters
and (2) candidates, with the defintion for candidates being narrower,
and a disqulaifying factor in Emanuel's case.

This seems to be a key passage pertaining to residency:

(p13 of the opinion):
Quote:
...requirements that candidates "reside in" the area they would represent "can only be truly served by requiring such representatives to be and remain actual residents of the units which they represent, in contradistinction from constructive residents. A mere constructive resident has no better opportunities for knowing the wants and rightful demands of his constituents, than a non-resident, and is as much beyond the wholesome influence of direct contact with them...
Hence, though Emanuel's status as a voter is preserved by exception
embodied in sec. 3-2 of the Election Code (cited by Cecil in discussion
of the case), his qualification as a candidate is not preserved:

(p22 of the opinion):
Quote:
In our view, the exception embodied by section 3-2 of the Election Code applies only to voter residency requirements, not to candidate residency requirements. We base this conclusion largely on the plain language of the Election Code. That plain language limits the reach of the "business of the United States" exception to "elector[s]" or their spouses; it makes no mention of "candidates."
I would have to read the whole thing through again and more
carefully arrive at a anything approaching full undestanding of
the court's reasoning. However, in the page after the quote just
above the court makes a pronouncement that simply makes no
sense to me:

(p23 of the opinion):
Quote:
If section 3-2 of the Election Code applied to candidates, then its statement that a person will not lose his or her residence "by reason of his or her absence on business of the United States" would certainly apply to relax the candidate residency qualifications on those who serve in the nation’s armed forces.
And there are other aspects of the decision that I wonder about.

IMO long-time (lifetime?) Chicago resident Emanuel should qualify
as a candidate under any reasonable statute.

Our man Cecil would be a great person to file amicus curiea on
Emanuel's behalf, and I hope he is working on it as we speak.

Last edited by NCDane; 01-24-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: edit formatting
Old 01-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Tim R. Mortiss, if I were into sly quips, and assuming he couldn't get elected as a write-in, I'd quip on the inability of Chicagoans to spell. Just kidding, of course.

BTW, with my understanding that RE holds a lead at this point, who would you say has the best chance of getting elected if RE were to limited to write-in status?

BTW II: As my borther and I were watching the Bears game from afar yesterday, he expressed an opinion that the the City will go to pot when Daley leaves office. Do many who actually live in Chicago feel this way?
Re: your BTW #I, I have no idea. I think Chico might be running second in the polls, but of course that doesn't mean he'd move into first if RE were removed.

Re: your BTW #II, I don't know how many feel that way, but *I* certainly do. We will fall into barbarism for a decade or so, until a new Daley appears just when we need him most. That's the way it went down last time.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Well I think this is very good for the McCain campaign.

Anyway.

Actually Braun has been polling in second, Chico in third, but Emanuel had 44% and who knows who those people would vote for?

It sounds like most would be shocked if this is not reversed but this is bizzaro world.

Chicago is in for some hard times with or without Daly and he knows it which is why he is leaving now before it gets too ugly. The next mayor(s) are in for a rough go of it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 AM

If this decision stands I would say the smart money is on Chico.
I don't see a scenario where Carol M-B pulls this off.

And I think it likely the State Supremes turn this entire mess on its head and let Rahm run. The only problem will be whether he is on the ballot or a write-in. The election board said they were sending the ballots to the printers tonight.
Without Rahm Emmanuel listed as a candidate.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This actually does bring up an interesting question, though perhaps a bit of a hijack.
Say the ballots are printed without Emmanuel on them, but the Supreme Court rules on the eve of the election that he can indeed run. There's no time to print new ballots, and voters must write him in.

How close must the spelling be for a valid vote? Would every "Ram Emannuall" and "Rom Amanual" and even "Ron Imaanel" go into Rahm's column?

Last edited by Wheelz; 01-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM

They just went through that in Alaska, and I believe they required exactly correct spelling. If I were Rahm, I wouldn't want to hang my future on the spelling prowess of the products of the Chicago Public School system!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

It'd be expensive, but they should have prepared two sets of ballots since the question is still up in the air.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
It'd be expensive, but they should have prepared two sets of ballots since the question is still up in the air.
I agree: in the context of all the costs of an election, printing the ballot papers is a very small part.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They just went through that in Alaska, and I believe they required exactly correct spelling.
I don't know for sure how this ended up, but last I remember that was not the case.

Quote:
The judge ultimately deferred to the Alaska Supreme Court, which ruled in Mr. Miller’s state lawsuit that the name of Sen. Lisa Murkowski didn’t have to be spelled correctly.
But that was a question of state law, and the article goes on to say it needs to be re-written to avoid such ambiguity in the future. Don't know what the Chicago electoral law says about this.