Shoe polish for leather coat?

My favorite leather jacket is getting a bit worn about the edges. It kind of looks like slightly worn dress shoes. Is there a proper reconditioning substance that will make the worn spots look better? I figure that this is not that much different than polishing shoes, hence the title.

The first thing I would try would be a commercial leather cream re-conditioner.

Many people would say that “getting a bit worn around the edges” is a big part of leather’s allure.

Shoe polish is for shoes. On a garment, it will tend to remain on the surface and transfer off to anything that touches it. It also does nothing to moisturize or condition the leather fibers.

There are colored “balms” and waxes for garment leather, but they’re not all that commonly available to consumers. If you dig around, you may be able to get your hands on something like Fiebing’s Atom Wax. Messy stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

What you’d want for (re)conditioning would be something like Apple Leather Care, Fiebing’s 4-Way or Lexol. I’ve used all of these, and my first choice is Apple. Lexol will do, if that’s all you can find, but it will darken the leather. Not a problem on a black jacket, but tan will become brown, and brown will become dark brown. I’ve never had a problem with Apple darkening anything, but as always, check a hidden spot first as it’s always possible that formulas change.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t planning on using shoe polish, and I’ll try one of the conditioners suggested. This particular coat is a sports coat so I don’t really care for the “worn” esthetic in this particular case.

My dad used to use Neatsfoot oil or saddle soap on his leather bomber jacket.

i used black liquid shoe polish on my black leather chanel bag. worked perfectly and looks brand-new.

You might want to check for a thread from a few months ago. A lot of suggestions there, including Murphy’s oil soap. Just the other day I was thinking (again) that I really oughta do something to/for my old bomber…