The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cake View Post
And they should definitely leave any reveal of Smaug for movie two. He's the major money shot
I wonder what dragon in the D&D mythos would breathe out that.
Advertisements  
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I wonder what dragon in the D&D mythos would breathe out that.
Moonstone? Capiz-shell just doesn't seem substantial enough.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Oropher himself had come from Valinor
Cite? Everything I've read indicates he was a Sindarin, possibly a kinsman of Thingol, who resided in Doriath and never went to Valinor with Olw.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Cite? Everything I've read indicates he was a Sindarin, possibly a kinsman of Thingol, who resided in Doriath and never went to Valinor with Olw.
only on the SDMB folks, only on the SDMB.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....And they should definitely leave any reveal of Smaug for movie two. He's the major money shot - no sense in diluting the first reveal. If is very effective in the book - should be even more so visually.
After the first movie is released, they could begin teasing us with glimpses of the dragon. And snippets of That Voice....
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Smaug is kind of like the Balrog from Fellowship. It's better not to see it before you enter the theater.

I remember the anticipation in the theater as the crowd knew the Balrog was coming. People went "whoa!!!" when he finally appeared and roared. It wasn't the special effect. It was just really well handled.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Smaug is kind of like the Balrog from Fellowship. It's better not to see it before you enter the theater.

I remember the anticipation in the theater as the crowd knew the Balrog was coming. People went "whoa!!!" when he finally appeared and roared. It wasn't the special effect. It was just really well handled.
Yeah, I remember seeing that in the theater and my internal reaction was "OMG OMG OMG OMG awesome awesome awesome awesome Squueeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" or something to that effect. Great reveal.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Yeah, I remember seeing that in the theater and my internal reaction was "OMG OMG OMG OMG awesome awesome awesome awesome Squueeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" or something to that effect. Great reveal.
And then the Wing/No-Wings people began a pitched battle in the balcony...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
And then the Wing/No-Wings people began a pitched battle in the balcony...
Fuck wings. PJ nailed the "a shadow and a flame" thing pretty damn well in the CG, so I for one can forgive lots of other nitpicky details with that Balrog.

Last edited by squeegee; 12-23-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
If they wrap up the first movie with a brief lull following a major action sequence the way FotR and TTT did, maybe the first movie will end at Beorn's house? That puts three fairly major action sequences (plus whatever non-Hobbit backstory bits in the first film leaving three majors action sequences in the second.
Given that one of the dwarves is apparently shown covered in spider webs in the trailer, I'm guessing that they at least make it into Mirkwood, if not to the Elven-King's home.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

You're correct. I misread the wiki.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Oropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikia
Oropher was one of the Sindar of Doriath, but after the War of Wrath he declined to depart Middle-earth as many others did, and instead went over the Blue Mountains (Ered Luin) with his household. He eventually ended up in Greenwood the Great, where Silvan Elves of Nandorin descent lived, and he was taken by them as lord. His capital was at Amon Lanc.
I mis-interpreted the first paragraph as saying he came over with the Noldor at the start of the War of the Wrath. I did not realise that many non-Valinor elves also fought against Melkor in the First Age.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
I mis-interpreted the first paragraph as saying he came over with the Noldor at the start of the War of the Wrath. I did not realise that many non-Valinor elves also fought against Melkor in the First Age.
Melian's Girdle only protected Doriath itself. The rest of Beleriand was open to Morgoth's pillaging wherever the orcs could get around defenders, even to the south of Doriath...the Falas fell to Morgoth sometime between Nirnaeth Arneodiad and the War of Wrath.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM

The largest kingdom at the time of the 1st Age was Thingol's. It was filled with Teleri that never crossed and Nandor elves that entered into Belerian prior to the return of Morgoth. While protected by the Girdle of Melian they mainly lived under the stars.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

What the..? Now you're at risk of turning into self parody.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 AM

Far over the misty mountains cold
to dungeons deep and caverns old
we must away ere break of day
to seek the pale enchanted gold
the dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
while hammers fell like ringing bells in places deep,
where dark things sleep,
in hollow halls beneath the fells.
for ancient king and elvish lord
there many a gleaming golden hoard
they shaped and wrought, and light they caught
to hide in gems on hilt of sword far over
the misty mountains cold to dungeons deep and caverns old.

Misty Mountains
Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Hobbit Production Video #5

Cool that the new Hobbiton sets will remain afterwards. So, Elijah Wood looks the same at 19 as he does 30. He never ages.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Hobbit Production Video #5

Cool that the new Hobbiton sets will remain afterwards. So, Elijah Wood looks the same at 19 as he does 30. He never ages.
He's also in hi-def film quality makeup to make him match his appearance from the very beginning of LOTR. That stuff covers a multitude of sins and years alike.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Billy Connoly cast as Dain II Ironfoot
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...icial-release/

Decent casting IMHO

Brian

Last edited by N9IWP; 02-09-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM

was looking at another board & someone posted something so funny - they had read about a rumor that Nicholas Cage was offered the role of Aragorn in LOTR & turned it down. The image of Cage as Aragorn - so funny yet so sickening and appalling...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, was left out of Return of the King. Budget, plot, the movie was already too long, why introduce an important character so late--I'm sure there were good reasons. I don't really mind.

In one of the commentaries, Peter Jackson said that, before they decided to do without the Prince, they'd considered Arnold Schwarzenegger for the role.

I'm pretty sure he was joking....
Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM

I don't know - he originally cast Stuart Townsend as Aragorn - what a genius move that was.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Billy Connoly cast as Dain II Ironfoot
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...icial-release/

Decent casting IMHO

Brian
Oh yeah, Connolly is a decent actor, and the production will save a bit of money on make-up, so win-win.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know - he originally cast Stuart Townsend as Aragorn - what a genius move that was.
Yeah, but he dumped him early on & hired Viggo Mortensen!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
Yeah, but he dumped him early on & hired Viggo Mortensen!
After filming began even, right?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
After filming began even, right?
Yes....
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
Yes....
Earlier thread on the Townsend casting :-

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...light=townsend

Bonus data point about the coolness of Viggo Mortensen :- Bob Anderson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_%28fencer%29, died in January this year. Bob Anderson was a fencing champing and trainer, fight choreographer and sword master, and pretty legendary in film circles :- his list of credits includes The Princess Bride, Star Wars (he was Darth Vader's light sabre duel double), and the LOTR trilogy. (He was also involved in the Hobbit movies :- I won't be surprised if one of them is dedicated to him).

I read in an obituary of him that he maintained that the most talented swordsman he ever trained, (and he trained real life Olympic fencing champions), was ... Viggo Mortensen.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Saw the trailer on the big screen when we went to the movies...

It looks even better than I anticipated.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Re: Bob Anderson.

I have the dvd "Reclaiming The Blade" (did some collegiate fencing - mostly Epee'). I'm not surprised he said that about Viggo. That was some strong work he did in LOTR.

Rest in peace, Maitre d'Armes!

Quasi
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Corey Olsen, aka "The Tolkien Professor" is releasing via his website and at iTunes a series of podcasts focusing on the material JRRT wrote relating to "The Hobbit". It's entitled "Riddles in the Dark" and you can find it here. (Along with all his other JRRT lectures, which I have found fascinating.)

He's only got two episodes out so far, but I am finding it fascinating, as he's pulling info from TH, "History of The Hobbit", LOTR appendices as they relate to TH, Unfinished Tales, and odds and ends gleaned from SIL and HOMES.

So far it's been an accurate recapitulation of what's known of the history Thrain I, first king under the mountain, and lots of other geeky bits.

He plans an entire podcast (generally about an hour) just on the Battle of Azanulbizar!

He's also relating what's seen in The Hobbit trailer to just what it might represent in JRRT's writing. He acknowledges that PJ may just be 'winging it', though.

The guy knows his stuff, though I've quibbled with a few of his interpretations before, and suspect he really doesn't have all the HOMES material down cold yet.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 02-13-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Re: Bob Anderson.

I have the dvd "Reclaiming The Blade" (did some collegiate fencing - mostly Epee'). I'm not surprised he said that about Viggo. That was some strong work he did in LOTR.

Rest in peace, Maitre d'Armes!

Quasi
I saw the documentary just a bit before he died. He was a great guy and that documentary belongs on the Lord of the Rings DVD.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

New Hobbit Update Video(number 6). First one of 2012.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Mahaloth,

Thanks for sharing this, my friend! Totally entertaining and informative and I cannot wait till 2013!

Pete looks like he's gained back a little of that weight he's lost, but if he has to walk up those scaffolds many more times and eats healthy from that mountain of food, he'll lose it again!

Andy Serkis! Man, what an inspiration, isn't he? Everything he does, he totally owns, and now he's a 2nd unit director.

Thanks again!

Q
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM

I just saw the 3D version of the trailer over the weekend. Looked very good. But did anyone notice the scene between Galadriel and Gandalf? Around 1:30 here. A romantic plot between the two of them seems a little disturbing.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I just saw the 3D version of the trailer over the weekend. Looked very good. But did anyone notice the scene between Galadriel and Gandalf? Around 1:30 here. A romantic plot between the two of them seems a little disturbing.
I very much doubt it's really a romantic subplot: that would be so contrary to the spirit of the books. They are old friends and allies, possibly going back to pre-Middle-Earth days, and they're the only two of the White Council who are really taking Sauron's threat seriously enough at present. It's natural that there should be a bond between them deeper than how-do-you-do and in-re-the-minutes-of-our-last-meeting. But I don't believe that the filmmakers are going to take it to smoochies or even to hints of past smoochies.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Romney Voldemort supporter

"Smootchies"?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Death to Smootchies!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
"Smootchies"?
One does not simply SMOOCH Galadriel...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

You. Shall. Not. SMOOTCH!!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Hey, they're old friends who knew each other back in Valinor, during the Years of the Trees. Not many folks left running around in ME who actually spent time there (Glorfindel, Saruman, Radaghast, Alatar and Pallando are the only others who occur to me at the moment. Canonically Celeborn didn't, but in later mss he did.)

So it's like a chance for Galadriel to get all nostalgic with one of her old High School teachers...

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 04-03-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Brief article from someone who saw 10 minutes of the footage...in the full 48 FPS.

Apparently, it takes some getting used to. I'll be seeing it in 2D and 48 FPS if that is available. Otherwise, I'll choose 2D and 24 FPS.

No 3D for me, most likely, no matter the frame rate.

Quote:
Despite that, loads of exhibitors and attendees echoed that exact thought all around me. The cinematic filter between the action and the audience is dissolved in favor of a more immediate lens on the world of the movie.

The High Frame Rate Effect is something that will take getting used to, and some will absolutely reject it outright. Many will do so pre-emptively. Its already happening all over Twitter.

To be honest, it kind of terrified me at first. In his pre-recorded intro, Peter Jackson said that the reason we were seeing 10 minutes of content was that "it takes your eyes a little bit to adjust", and that is absolutely the case. The immersive experience was not immediate, but gradual. I felt much more comfortable toward the end of the presentation, but still disconcerted and outside a comfort zone.
Here is the article
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Ooh! Looks very cool.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Ooh! Looks very cool.
I am super curious about 48 FPS now, though. I'm wondering if 24....might be better? There is a "film look" to films that we are all used to. I wonder if the clarity of 48 FPS will ever become the preferred look.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am super curious about 48 FPS now, though. I'm wondering if 24....might be better? There is a "film look" to films that we are all used to. I wonder if the clarity of 48 FPS will ever become the preferred look.
This reminds me of the vinyl vs. CD argument that raged when digital audio first came out. Or the complaint that DBX/Dolby compression made music sound funny. The latter one was settled when engineers pointed out the stuff that made the older technology sound "realistic" was the noise, and that was no longer present.

48fps will be smoother, and more realistic, but that's a bad thing? You'd rather be satisfied with a compromise that renders action as jerky? Personally, 24fps was always upsetting to me cause I was sensitive to the lack of smoothness; the use of video for much media has improved that quite a bit.

I haven't seen the 48 sample, but I think I will like it. It's a lot like going from 35mm in a neighborhood theater with a single speaker to 70mm IMAX with surround sound. Is this really something to complain about?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM

I also don't see why 48fps should be controversial. If you've watched HD television, you've undoubtedly seen 720p 50 (PAL) or 720p 60 (NTSC) video which has a greater frame rate than this film, and that video format is widely accepted as being pleasant to watch and high quality.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
This reminds me of the vinyl vs. CD argument that raged when digital audio first came out. Or the complaint that DBX/Dolby compression made music sound funny. The latter one was settled when engineers pointed out the stuff that made the older technology sound "realistic" was the noise, and that was no longer present.

48fps will be smoother, and more realistic, but that's a bad thing? You'd rather be satisfied with a compromise that renders action as jerky? Personally, 24fps was always upsetting to me cause I was sensitive to the lack of smoothness; the use of video for much media has improved that quite a bit.

I haven't seen the 48 sample, but I think I will like it. It's a lot like going from 35mm in a neighborhood theater with a single speaker to 70mm IMAX with surround sound. Is this really something to complain about?
Before reading the article I linked to, I felt the same. I am wondering more now, but I do plan to see it in 48 FPS(if they screen 2D at that frame rate).
Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

48 FPS sounds awful.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
48 FPS sounds awful.
Why? You'd prefer 49?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
48 FPS sounds awful.
What? I don't think that at all, just that there are some unknowns about it.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM

it has that soap opera look you get from badly calibrated TVs at Best Buy. The footage I saw looked terrible completely non-cinematic. The sets looked like sets sets dont even look like sets when youre on them live, but these looked like sets. The magical illusion of cinema is stripped away completely.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...=entertainment

I know that look. I don't care for it.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Not many folks left running around in ME who actually spent time there (Glorfindel, Saruman, Radaghast, Alatar and Pallando are the only others who occur to me at the moment.
I think you're missing someone who spent some time in Valinor.