Best Beach Boys song?

List compiled from their 20 biggest hits with a few substitutions and additions (I’m throwing out Kokomo and Wipe Out for what should be obvious reasons).

I was torn between “God Only Knows” and “Wouldn’t it be Nice.” I ended up voting for the latter because that’s the one I listen to the most and gets so insanely stuck in my head.

Other:
Girl Don’t Tell Me

I adore The Beach Boys, I Get Around is the first song I remember hearing. And still love it. I voted for that and also God Only Knows, Sloop John B, Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Do You Wanna Dance, Help Me Rhonda, Don’t Worry Baby, Surfin’ USA, Fun Fun Fun…

Brian Wilson is a musical genius and I would have voted for Good Vibrations but the version on Brian’s Smile album blows The Beach Boys version out of the water.

I’d also put up there, Then I Kissed Her, Do It Again.

EDIT: I forgot to vote for California Girls :smiley: Oh and also, Heroes and Villians on the Smile album is also a lot better than the Beach Boys version, otherwise I would have voted for that aswell.

Not really a very comprehensive list.
I suspect as the Thread gets more views we’ll see a lot of other votes for “Other”. The Beach Boys had a lot of really good songs. And lots of their really great songs would not be among the 20 biggest hits.

God Only Knows in a walk. The rest are good to great, but GOK is transcendent.

I was torn between that and Good Vibrations, with I Get Around for the early BB’s entry…

I think “Don’t Worry Baby” just has beautifully rendered and recorded harmonies. Plus the melodic progression of the chorus from “Don’t worry baby…” to “…everything will turn out all right” is a really nice set of melodic notes strung together.

Plus the video off of Youtube is great for the dancing alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCZ_bv9aLc

I know, but I wasn’t going to put up a list of 100 songs, most of which would only get a few votes. I put up what I believe are the most well-known songs, as those would most likely be the heaviest vote-getters.

“God Only Knows.” Not only the best Beach Boys song, but the best love song ever recorded.

Of the songs listed, it would be a toss-up between “God Only Knows” and “Good Vibrations” (the latter being so overexposed it’s easy to forget how brilliant it is). But I marked “Other” for “Surf’s Up.”

1. God Only Knows
  2. Don’t Worry Baby
  3. Surfer Girl

All great songs, presented beautifully. But most of their other songs are just slightly better than typical pop stuff to me.

“Feel Flows” should be included. Carl’s most beautiful Psychedelic work.

I voted “Heroes and Villains” before realizing I was really voting for a bootleg version that I’ve heard. The actually released single is good, but not as good. Sloop John B was my close second.

On an intellectual level, I know that “God Only Knows” and “Good Vibrations” are really really excellent songs.

Of those listed, though, “Sloop John B” is my favorite.

But I voted for Other, because I have an inexplicable but overwhelming fondness for “Do It Again”. Just looooove that song.

Flight of the Navigator was my favorite film when I was 6, so I Get Around will always hold a special place in my heart.

I voted for Fun Fun Fun, but I like the whole list.

Other: “Shut Down”

I Get Around
Surfin’ USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
Surfin’ Safari

I HATE HATE HATE Barbara Ann.