The Eagles / Randy Meisner

On New Years, a bunch of us were watching the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” concert on my sister-in-law’s DVD player and a “discussion” ensued about former member Randy Meisner. I know he was a founding member of the group “Poco” (which got me into the whole “country rock” thing.) He left and was replaced by Timothy B. Schmit. Randy then has a long stint with the Eagles but gets replaced for “The Long Run” album by… Timothy B. Schmit! On the “Hotel California” album, they don’t even list a bass player but Randy’s picture is in the liner notes. The unanswered questions that ensued that night are… Where is Meisner now or is he and Schmit actually the same man? Is he such a jerk that the other guys had to make him into one of those Russian “non-persons”? Or are the other guys such jerks that they made him into one of those Russian “non-persons”? What’s the scoop? Enquiring minds want to know, Straight Dope minds can always answer.

Can’t really answer all your questions, but Randy Meisner was the bass player on Hotel California. I don’t own a copy of the album, so I can’t verify whether he was listed or not. He was replaced by Schmit in 1977 a few months after the album was released. Schmit also replaced Meisner in Poco 1970.

Meisner went on to do a few solo albums, but never really hit it big. I have no idea what he’s doing now. Maybe VH1 will do an episode of Where Are They Now?

Randy Meisner and Tim Schmit are definitely not the same person. If you want to know more about Tim, here is a very nice fan page, where some of the history is explained. I sort-of know Tim Schmit, though I haven’t seen him in many years. My sister has a friend who years ago was associated with the music biz and introduced my sister and me to Poco and we hung around with them a little bit–I like to call myself the world’s youngest Poco groupie because I was about 6 years old at the time. Tim is a very nice guy with a wonderful voice.

Randy had a minor hit LP in the early 80’s, One More Song which contained the songs, “Deep Inside My Heart” (w/Kim Carnes)(a damn fine song, I must say) & “Hearts on Fire”

Thanks guys for the responses. JeffB I have the album and Meisner isn’t listed at all except as the writer/singer of “Try and Love Again” (my favorite). I wouldn’t think he would give up any/all rights to be associated with such a successful effort. I know if I were one of the Eagles, I’d have it tattooed in red letters across my nose! Mr. Blue Sky thanks for the album info and review (One More Song). I’m going to the record store and see if I can get it. I think Meisner is a fine songwriter. Geobabe what a find you are! The web site you gave me is linked to the Poco website. (why didn’t I look for that first? Duh?) I found a lot of bio on all members of the group. (I hope you know I was kidding about the two being the same person?) I was just wondering why Meisner was so… invisible on “Hotel California”. Having been in a few bands I know how egos can clash. It’s the saddest thing when egos get more important than the music. Play on people…

My question: Was Meisner and Bernie Leadon (the other invisible original Eagle) even asked to join the reunion tour? How can they call it a reunion without half the original members (no, don’t ask Diana Ross)

MBS, I loved the “One More Song” album…reminds me I should seek it out on CDNow or someplace (I’m certain it’s out of print, but here’s hoping…I have it on vinyl, but my albums have been mothballed since I got married and the ol’ turntable is dust anyway, but I recall some nice tunes on that record. Thanks for reminding me…)

It is odd that Meisner wouldn’t be listed. Are the rest of the band members listed? The album came out in December 1976, and Meisner didn’t leave the group until September 1977, I think. Maybe he wasn’t listed on later releases of the album?

It is odd that Meisner wouldn’t be listed. Are the rest of the band members listed? The album came out in December 1976, and Meisner didn’t leave the group until September 1977, I think. Maybe he wasn’t listed on later releases of the album?

Everyone else (and their instrument) is listed beside the name of the song on the liner notes of my copy which is a CD. The original issue was on vinyl or cassette of course. This is why I first noticed he was “invisible”. Maybe I’ll get to meet him someday and ask? With my luck, I’ll get punched out!:wink:

The Eagles didn’t refer to it as a reunion, but a resumption–picking up where the band had left off in 1980. By 1980, Meisner & Leadon were both long gone from the band. However, the two ex-Eagles did perform with Henley, Frey, Schmit, Felder & Walsh when the band was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. By the way, when Glenn Frey was interviewed at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am last weekend, he said that the Eagles may work on a new album later this year.

<<< reminds me I should seek it out on CDNow or someplace (I’m certain it’s out of print, but here’s hoping…>>>

I’ve checked and the “One More Song” album WAS issued on CD but is now not being “manufactured” to use the record company’s definition. Anybody got a lead on used CD stores? Maybe a web site listing subscribing store’s inventory?

<<< By the way, when Glenn Frey was interviewed at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am last weekend, he said that the Eagles may work on a new album later this year. >>>>

I heard on the radio yesterday that Don Felder has been ousted from the band and is now suing the other members. Guess if they do another album, they won’t have Don in the lineup. sheesh!

My favorite source for used CDs is Second Spin; I’ve bought a lot of things from them over the past few years and they have a nice web interface. Unfortunately, I can’t get to them right now, so I couldn’t check on this particular CD.

Good cheese, they’re always kicking out members!
With Randy, I thought it was just that HE wanted to quit.