The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

What percent of people in the world have brown eyes?

What percent of people have brown eyes in all the world? I looked on Wiki, but they just had the information on the U.S.
Advertisements  
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brown eyes are the most common eye color, with over half of the world's population having them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM

My class was looking this up in order to work on a genetics model. A preise answer is hard to find and I would be hesitant to use just one or two references.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
I saw that, but 'over half' could mean 51% or 99%
Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

I've seen estimates of 80% - 85%, which sounds about right to me.

Figure almost everyone in China and India, plus all of Southeast Asia Korea and Japan, most of Africa, most of the Middle East, most of South and Central America, and a good part of Europe and the US/Canada.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Semi thread hijack

In countries like China or India, do they bother to specify eye and hair color on ID cards?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Well, only white people typically have an eye color other than brown (yeah of course there are some people of other races who do but they are such a small group as to not be statistically significant). So all you have to do is find out the global percentage of white people, then multiply by the percentage of those who have non-brown eyes. Subtract from 1.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo Verde View Post
I saw that, but 'over half' could mean 51% or 99%
It would be closer to 99%. Consider that colours aside from brown are very, very rare in Asia and Africa, so that accounts for, what, 2/3 of the human population. They are also much more common in South America than in North America or western Europe, and even in those regions brown is by far the most common colour.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
In countries like China or India, do they bother to specify eye and hair color on ID cards?
In Korea we have our name in both Korean and classical Chinese, photo, SSN, home address, and fingerprint. No hair/eye color, height, or weight (I was surprised to see those items when I applied for an ID card in Chicago).
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM

I remember when a Korean friend of mine tried to buy some wine at an Albertson's and though she was 30 at the time, they wouldn't accept her passport as identification because it didn't list her height and weight.

I guess they expect people to look at the photo for hair and eye color.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Well, only white people typically have an eye color other than brown (yeah of course there are some people of other races who do but they are such a small group as to not be statistically significant). So all you have to do is find out the global percentage of white people, then multiply by the percentage of those who have non-brown eyes. Subtract from 1.
Of course, the problem is in defining "white people." The peoples from a good chunk of Asia, from Western China to Lebannon, sometimes get classed as "white" and sometimes not depending on who's counting and why. Non-brown eyes are found in a subset of these populations, but as mentioned above the Chinese don't really take statistics on the percentage of blue eyes in Xinjiang.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Figure almost everyone in China and India, plus all of Southeast Asia Korea and Japan, most of Africa, most of the Middle East, most of South and Central America, and a good part of Europe and the US/Canada.
You forgot the Pacific Island nations, of which I am part. And I have brown eyes, too.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Neither country, but my Driving licence issued in Islamabad states both. Brown.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I've seen estimates of 80% - 85%, which sounds about right to me.

There is a significant though small percentage of Indians who have eye colours other then brown.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
Of course, the problem is in defining "white people." The peoples from a good chunk of Asia, from Western China to Lebannon, sometimes get classed as "white" and sometimes not depending on who's counting and why. Non-brown eyes are found in a subset of these populations, but as mentioned above the Chinese don't really take statistics on the percentage of blue eyes in Xinjiang.
Sure, but I'm sure if you did some digging you could come up with an estimate that's close enough for all practical purposes.