How do we choose a mayor? [PLUS! LINK TO COLUMN BY CECIL]

It’s been so long since we’ve had a contested election that I’ve lost track of what the plan is. I guess the candidates run as non-aligned individuals. But haven’t we had mayoral primaries in the past? Now we don’t seem to have one scheduled. The election is scheduled for 2/22, I think. And is the winner the guy with the most votes? If all these folks run, we could get a mayor with 20% of the vote, then, couldn’t we? I need a refresher course here. Chicago dopers?

It’s a non-partisan election. Anyone can run who gets enough signatures and files the correct forms. If they belong to a party or not is a moot point.

If nobody gets more than 50% of the vote, the top two vote-getters have a runoff election. Quite simple, actually.

I just can’t believe Mayor Daley is abandoning us! Now, when we need him the most! Shane, come back!!

Tim’s right, but it wasn’t always like that, was it? I seem to remember Jane Byrne winning a Democratic primary, and thus everybody knew she was the next mayor months before she was actually (officially) elected.

I remember the same thing. And I remember the term “Mayoral primary” well before that, I think. Did we used to have them and then abandoned them?

Apparently so. From Byrne’s Wikipedia entry:

So what happened to mayoral primary elections?

Youse guys are giving me a reason to haul out my Encyclopedia of Chicago. According to them, 1999 was the first time the non-partisan process was used, and resulted in Daley’s fourth term. It was used again in 2003 and 2007. They don’t mention the reason for the change.

I found this on, of all places, a Fox News website: “There is no actual primary held in a Chicago mayoral election (there used to be primaries up until 1995 when the Illinois election law changed). The next Mayoral election is February 22, 2011. If no candidate receives 50% + 1 then there will be a runoff election between the top two candidates on April 5th, 2011.”

QED

Sheesh, I gotta do my own research? What happened to laziness in this country?

Cecil has chimed in on this one: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101118.php

Interesting article. But it raises a new question: What business is it of the Illinois legislature how the City of Chicago chooses its mayor?

What strikes me about the Council Wars is how strongly it seems to argue for a unification of mayor & council election. Perhaps a parliamentary system?

Ok. Back in the 80’s, I posed a question of The Master, which he answered in his column and even included in one of the early books. Now, some 25-30 years later, He deems to answer another question of mine. I’d love to meet Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johanssen, or Elizabeth Banks, but if that never happens, I’m going to check out satisfied anyway. Rapture! Cece - you’re the man!

Chicago is an Illinois municipal corporation (as is every other town in the state, to my knowledge) and is governed by state law, specifically the Revised Cities and Villages Act of 1941. The provision regarding nonpartisan elections may be found here.

I guess that makes sense. Thanks, Ed!