The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

How do we choose a mayor? [PLUS! LINK TO COLUMN BY CECIL]

It's been so long since we've had a contested election that I've lost track of what the plan is. I guess the candidates run as non-aligned individuals. But haven't we had mayoral primaries in the past? Now we don't seem to have one scheduled. The election is scheduled for 2/22, I think. And is the winner the guy with the most votes? If all these folks run, we could get a mayor with 20% of the vote, then, couldn't we? I need a refresher course here. Chicago dopers?
Advertisements  
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM

It's a non-partisan election. Anyone can run who gets enough signatures and files the correct forms. If they belong to a party or not is a moot point.

If nobody gets more than 50% of the vote, the top two vote-getters have a runoff election. Quite simple, actually.

I just can't believe Mayor Daley is abandoning us! Now, when we need him the most! Shane, come back!!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Tim's right, but it wasn't always like that, was it? I seem to remember Jane Byrne winning a Democratic primary, and thus everybody knew she was the next mayor months before she was actually (officially) elected.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I remember the same thing. And I remember the term "Mayoral primary" well before that, I think. Did we used to have them and then abandoned them?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I remember the same thing. And I remember the term "Mayoral primary" well before that, I think. Did we used to have them and then abandoned them?
Apparently so. From Byrne's Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
Byrne was narrowly defeated in the 1983 Democratic primary for Mayor by Harold Washington. The younger Daley ran a close third, splitting the white vote with Byrne and allowing Washington to win the Democratic primary with just 36% of the vote. Washington went on to win the general election in a racially-polarized contest. Byrne ran against Washington again in the 1987 primary, but was defeated. She subsequently endorsed Washington for the general election, in which he faced three white opponents.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

So what happened to mayoral primary elections?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Youse guys are giving me a reason to haul out my Encyclopedia of Chicago. According to them, 1999 was the first time the non-partisan process was used, and resulted in Daley's fourth term. It was used again in 2003 and 2007. They don't mention the reason for the change.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 11-12-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I found this on, of all places, a Fox News website: "There is no actual primary held in a Chicago mayoral election (there used to be primaries up until 1995 when the Illinois election law changed). The next Mayoral election is February 22, 2011. If no candidate receives 50% + 1 then there will be a runoff election between the top two candidates on April 5th, 2011."

QED

Sheesh, I gotta do my own research? What happened to laziness in this country?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Cecil has chimed in on this one: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20101118.php
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Interesting article. But it raises a new question: What business is it of the Illinois legislature how the City of Chicago chooses its mayor?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

What strikes me about the Council Wars is how strongly it seems to argue for a unification of mayor & council election. Perhaps a parliamentary system?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Ok. Back in the 80's, I posed a question of The Master, which he answered in his column and even included in one of the early books. Now, some 25-30 years later, He deems to answer another question of mine. I'd love to meet Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johanssen, or Elizabeth Banks, but if that never happens, I'm going to check out satisfied anyway. Rapture! Cece - you're the man!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Interesting article. But it raises a new question: What business is it of the Illinois legislature how the City of Chicago chooses its mayor?
Chicago is an Illinois municipal corporation (as is every other town in the state, to my knowledge) and is governed by state law, specifically the Revised Cities and Villages Act of 1941. The provision regarding nonpartisan elections may be found here.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM

I guess that makes sense. Thanks, Ed!