In the (first) movie, Jurassic Park, were Grant and Sattler in a relationship?

Inspired by the discussion in this thread.

I thought they were. Sattler clearly wants Grant to like kids–probably so they can start a family. They’re pretty touchy and flirty at the dig and throughout the film. And I interpreted Grant’s irritation at Malcolm as jealousy because of him and Ellie. Others interpreted that (and Grant telling Malcolm that they were together) as just him disliking Malcolm and not wanting him with Ellie because he wasn’t good enough for her. I definitely saw Grant and Sattler as an item, though.

What did you think?

yes they are for the reasons you said

I just saw them as colleagues, with a friendly but professional relationship.

Actually, now that you mention the bit about starting a family I may have to review my thoughts from the other thread. Or better yet, I might have to watch the movie again.

I think it was pretty clear they were in a relationship. Why would she care if he liked children and how good of a father he would be (and she was clearly pleased with the way he held the kids in the helicopter) if she didn’t want to procreate with him?

It was very clear to me. I’m surprised people think otherwise. Then again, I’ve never read the book, so I started out with no preconceived notions.

It’s funny you should ask, as I was just whiling away some time with the first book recently. In it one of the kids asks directly and is told, ‘no, she’s just my student.’

I didn’t think so. Did they do a single romantic thing towards each other the entire movie?

I don’t recall them being flirty at all.

Maybe all this recent Jurassic Park confusion is because people are conflating the book with the movie.

In the book, there’s no relationship between Grant and Sattler. In the movie, there is.

Why do you think so? They never kiss or do anything that friends wouldn’t do.

she puts her arm around him in Montana

They don’t have to kiss to make it clear that they’re in a relationship. Again, all the talk about how he doesn’t like kids stems from their relationship–that was basically his only character arc in the whole movie. That’s why he was sent off to the car with the two kids, why she made it a point for him to be stuck with them. Because she wants kids, he doesn’t, and she wants him to see he really does.

Apparently in Jurassic Park 3, it’s confirmed they were in a relationship and broke up because he never wanted kids. She and her new husband have children. My sister informed me of this. I said “Why didn’t anybody mention that in the thread?” She said “Because I’m the only person who saw Jurassic Park 3.” I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case.

I’ve seen Jurassic Park 3 and I don’t remember that.

I’ve seen JP3 and I remember Ellie is married to someone else and has kids, but I don’t think they make any mention of any past relationship between Ellie and Grant

Well, perhaps I was informed by the book (which I read before they made the movie), but I never thought they were in a relationship, I just thought they were attracted to each other, and too awkward and nerdy to make a move.

Or maybe that’s just me.

Yup. That’s what I remember.

I agree. I think they were in the very early stages of a relationship, but reflecting on what has been said in these two threads, it may have been more Ellie’s idea than Grant’s. He certainly isn’t jealous of her being in a different relationship by the time of JP3. Which is my favourite of the JP films, by the way.

As you I read the book before I even knew it was becoming a movie.

“I just thought they were attracted to each other, and too awkward and nerdy to make a move.” Completely agree with that, there was the possibility of romance, just not the time for it. Hard for a Hollywood movie, though, to do without a romantic story in the background.

Yes, she definitely seemed invested in that. Would be strange for people who are just co-workers to be talking about kids.

There also did seem a definite flirtatiousness between the two. Like when they were arguing about kids early on and Grant is all, “Kids smell–babies smell, they do!” They also have their arms around each other…I think that’s just before John Hammond comes in.

That, coupled with him disliking Ian’s hitting on her, made me think relationship. I guess he could have just hated Ian hitting on her because he hated Ian, but that with the whole kids discussion…made me think dating/relationship.

I didn’t get that they had broken up because of that issue in the third one. I figured it might have been a variety of things but I didn’t think of kids specifically.

Doesn’t she call him “honey” at one point in JP? He makes a face and a flabbergasted comment of “kids?” and she drapes her arm around him and says “small versions of adults, honey”?

Yes? No? Don’t make me watch that movie again to verify my memory!

This, if it’s accurate, would seem to back my memory about the “honey” part.