Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Cream soda is yummy.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Rock & Rye.

And you didn't ask, but here is my favorite Faygo commercial:

Remember When You Were a Kid

mmm
Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 PM

It's gotta be Rock & Rye. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like, which is pretty much all of the charm.

Although, honorable mention for Red Pop. Everything you need to know about it is in the name.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Faygobrau ginger beer. I wish they still made it. I still remember the parody commercials they made for it.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Red Pop! Tasted so delightfully fake.

I had no idea they still made this stuff. Now I have to find out if it's available somewhere here in Boston.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Rock & Rye.

And you didn't ask, but here is my favorite Faygo commercial:

Remember When You Were a Kid

mmm
I've never seen that commercial before...good one.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I like the root beer.
FWIW, one night many years ago when we were broke, the only soda we had in the house was Faygo Rock and Rye and Mr. new wanted a drink. So he mixed bourbon with Rock and Rye. It was one of his favorite drinks for a number of years!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM

I used to love Faygo! The stores I shop at haven't carried it in years. I thought they had stopped making it. I'm going to look around and see if any stores in the Washington, D.C. area still carry it.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Loved the pineapple, but my favorite was the diet chocolate.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Rock and Rye

Their Cola is actually good, too.

Is this nationwide? I'm in Michigan, so we've always had it.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
僕は女性の香りが大好きですよ。フア!

I've never even heard of Faygo, much less tasted it. Where is it sold? Is it a carbonated beverage?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Isn't that the soda that Juggalos/Juggalettes drink?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Keeper of the Bancrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
Isn't that the soda that Juggalos/Juggalettes drink?
And wear.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald C. Semone View Post
I used to love Faygo! The stores I shop at haven't carried it in years. I thought they had stopped making it. I'm going to look around and see if any stores in the Washington, D.C. area still carry it.
I live in the Milwaukee area, and I only know of one store that carries it...but they do have a big selection...it took me forever to find that store.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

It was Red Pop when I was a kid, but now it's Rock & Rye.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I've never even heard of Faygo, much less tasted it. Where is it sold? Is it a carbonated beverage?
It's a company that makes soda. It's not an off-brand(store brand), but a pretty decent beverage maker.

It's located in Michigan.

Faygo
Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Red pop for me, the last time I had the pleasure of drinking a faygo. Can't remember when that was, probably 30+ years ago (egads).

Can anyone describe to me what Rock & Rye tastes like? I don't remember that flavor as a kid.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm limited to the diet flavors, and we don't even get all of them. So of the ones I can get, my two favorites are Grape and Frosh.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
Red pop for me, the last time I had the pleasure of drinking a faygo. Can't remember when that was, probably 30+ years ago (egads).

Can anyone describe to me what Rock & Rye tastes like? I don't remember that flavor as a kid.
Rock & Rye is a sort of cream soda, but it is red in color and has a slightly different flavor.

Does anyone remember Frosh? Or Moonshine (Mt. Dew-like)?

mmm
Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Man, I hadn't thought of Faygo in 30 years. Back when I was a kid my sister and I spent summers with my Dad, who lived in Jacksonville, Fla. He always bought Faygo. I recall favoring Frosh and Redpop.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 PM

It was Pineapple-Orange for a minute and then the Vanilla cream soda.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 PM

I haven't thought of Faygo in years. Their commercial with the Laurel and Hardy lookalikes is one of the most memorable commercials I've ever seen.

"We will take the Red Pop."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VRdc...e_gdata_player
Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Yay! I love Faygo! I've always lived in SoCal, but my grandparents are from central Michigan. Faygo tastes like grandma's house.

#1 choice - always Rock & Rye, but I'm a big fan of Red Pop too. you can usually get them at most BevMo stores, by the way.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
It's a company that makes soda. It's not an off-brand(store brand), but a pretty decent beverage maker.

It's located in Michigan.

Faygo
They occupy a weird spot marketing-wise; they're positioned as a "value priced brand" much like sister brand Shasta, and similar to how Pepsi was in the early days. Some stores carry Faygo/Shasta in lieu of generics, other stores will stock generics, with Faygo/Shasta at a slightly higher price, and big brands higher still. A 2-liter of store brand for 75 cents, Faygo for $1, and Coke/Pepsi for $1.50. I've seen similar value brands in various regions-- C&C, Top Pop, Polar-- but Faygo and Shasta seem to be widely distributed. Around here, the 7up/RC/A&W brands have been slowly drifting into this category, too.

When I was a kid in the 1970s and early 1980s, a cornucopia of Faygo was widely available; convenience stores and grocers would have a whole 4-foot section of shelving dedicated to dozens of Faygo flavors in small glass bottles at some ridiculously low price; you'd buy 'em by the sack and have fun for the next week trying different flavors. I never recall any one flavor being really good, but the variety was neat.

Faygo seemed to dwindle, disappearing from convenience stores and shrinking in groceries, and eventually became Big Lots/dollar store fodder by the late 1990s. Its reputation as a low-end brand is ironically what I think has allowed it to rebound; it's like the PBR of the soda world, gaining cult status (especially among Juggalos, as mentioned earlier), and coming back to supermarkets and convenience stores. Unfortunately, the wide variety of flavors they make aren't widely distributed around here; you can find the basic fruit flavors of grape/orange/lemon-lime, root beer, and Moon Mist, but Rock & Rye is hard to find, and the others are even more rare. No more 4-foot rack that allows me to buy 30 different flavors in one go.

Anyway. My answer to the OP: Ohana Raspberry Lemonade was my absolute favorite, with 60/40 a close second.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:43 AM

I grew up close enough to the U.S.A. border that every mention of the word 'Faygo' makes me want to punch an entire trailer park in their collective face.

The Pop Shoppe -- however, I will defend to the ... well, the new version is all corporate and shit, and really only exists because some rich dude bought the name after the copyright expired; they do make probably the best pineapple flavoured carbonated beverage, and some more things I should be angry about, but some mitigating factors inserted here. Additionally uncontrollable rage, unfounded accusations, and other big words used to describe things, mostly unrelated to the subject I've heretofore been ranting about.

Tits.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver View Post
They occupy a weird spot marketing-wise; they're positioned as a "value priced brand" much like sister brand Shasta, and similar to how Pepsi was in the early days. Some stores carry Faygo/Shasta in lieu of generics, other stores will stock generics, with Faygo/Shasta at a slightly higher price, and big brands higher still. A 2-liter of store brand for 75 cents, Faygo for $1, and Coke/Pepsi for $1.50. I've seen similar value brands in various regions-- C&C, Top Pop, Polar-- but Faygo and Shasta seem to be widely distributed. Around here, the 7up/RC/A&W brands have been slowly drifting into this category, too.

When I was a kid in the 1970s and early 1980s, a cornucopia of Faygo was widely available; convenience stores and grocers would have a whole 4-foot section of shelving dedicated to dozens of Faygo flavors in small glass bottles at some ridiculously low price; you'd buy 'em by the sack and have fun for the next week trying different flavors. I never recall any one flavor being really good, but the variety was neat.

Faygo seemed to dwindle, disappearing from convenience stores and shrinking in groceries, and eventually became Big Lots/dollar store fodder by the late 1990s. Its reputation as a low-end brand is ironically what I think has allowed it to rebound; it's like the PBR of the soda world, gaining cult status (especially among Juggalos, as mentioned earlier), and coming back to supermarkets and convenience stores. Unfortunately, the wide variety of flavors they make aren't widely distributed around here; you can find the basic fruit flavors of grape/orange/lemon-lime, root beer, and Moon Mist, but Rock & Rye is hard to find, and the others are even more rare. No more 4-foot rack that allows me to buy 30 different flavors in one go.

Anyway. My answer to the OP: Ohana Raspberry Lemonade was my absolute favorite, with 60/40 a close second.
I have been doing this lately within like the last week, buying many different flavors and then trying them all, it's fun even though some of them don't taste that great.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM

I once had a bottle of black raspberry Faygo. Best soda I ever had. Wonder if they still make it?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Brother Number Two View Post
I once had a bottle of black raspberry Faygo. Best soda I ever had. Wonder if they still make it?
Wiki lists a 'black cherry & raspberry' flavor, but not just a 'black raspberry'. Apparently, it is still available (it is not in the discontinued list).

Oh, and if it's Faygo, it's not soda. It's pop.

mmm
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM

More Rack and Rye love. What exactly does the thing taste like? Kinda of like a cream soda, kinda like Dr. Pepper, maybe even a little black cherry. I've heard rumors that it's supposed to taste like sloe gin. Any credence to this (I've never had sloe gin)?
Around here in Western Washington, Faygo is almost entirely sold in corner stores--rarely in grocery stores, never in chain convenience stores. Outside of draft root beer (a fantastic flavor by the way) it's always sold in 20 oz. plastic bottles. And far from being a discount drink, it's sold at Coke/Pepsi prices.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM

I've got a Red Pop in the fridge right now, but i am fond of both Pineapple and Blueberry/raspberry. Learning that Faygo i the preferred flavor of juggalos just made me like it more.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
More Rack and Rye love. What exactly does the thing taste like? Kinda of like a cream soda, kinda like Dr. Pepper, maybe even a little black cherry. I've heard rumors that it's supposed to taste like sloe gin. Any credence to this (I've never had sloe gin)?
Around here in Western Washington, Faygo is almost entirely sold in corner stores--rarely in grocery stores, never in chain convenience stores. Outside of draft root beer (a fantastic flavor by the way) it's always sold in 20 oz. plastic bottles. And far from being a discount drink, it's sold at Coke/Pepsi prices.
Around where in western Washington? I've always meant to try Faygo, but never looked very hard. I'm near Olympia, but if you've got a specific Faygo source you could recommend anywhere between Seattle and Portland I could hit it up during holiday shopping trips.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 AM

Leiko, I've found it at corner stores at 9th & Commerce (next to the Link rail terminus), 4th & Tacoma, and Stadium Thriftway in Tacoma.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Anybody fond of the orange?? just curious.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Redpop for me. IIRC, it was kinda like Fanta Red Cream (which you got in Michigan vending machines owned by Coca-Cola).

We used to look gravely at each other and mutter, "Red Cream -- a sign of VD! See your doctor." Heh.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn K. Stone View Post
Anybody fond of the orange?? just curious.
Yep! Just came in to post that orange is my favorite. Rock n Rye is my second favorite. The root beer's not bad either.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Yep! Just came in to post that orange is my favorite. Rock n Rye is my second favorite. The root beer's not bad either.
I have yet to try Rock n Rye...i should probably do that because it seems to be a lot of people's favorite.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post

I haven't had Faygo in probably 25 years, and I never had Rock & Rye, but isn't there a booze called Rock & Rye? Whiskey with sugar crystals in it or something?

ETA : Apparently, yes. Scroll down to "Specialties"

Joe

Last edited by Yorikke; 11-15-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM

I vaguely remember liking diet Frosh about 25 years ago. I still don't know why it was called Frosh, and why it was neon green. I'm loads more sophisticated now, drinking Squirt.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Red Pop. I absolutely love strawberry sodas.

I'm surprised that it's available far outside of Michigan. At least, I don't remember them having any when I went to college in Minnesota, and that's still "pop" territory. The second year I went the car had a flat of 20ozs from the local Michigan grocery store.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 PM

It's been probably 15 years, but my brother and I always liked "Moon Mist".

Haven't seen Faygo since I moved away.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
BANNED

My favorite is Rock and Rye when I can find it, seems a semi-rarity and sporadic in availability. But generally I stick to the diet flavors so that narrows it down, Diet Moon Mist (if I can find it or if it's available, I don't know why but this seems to be slightly more rare), Diet Red Pop, Diet Orange, and Diet Root Beer... saw the 60/40 (squirt) and Ohana Melon for the first time the other day and almost decided to try them... can't imagine what the melon might taste like...

Last edited by devilsknew; 11-16-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm starting to realize how lucky I am to live in Michigan, where this pop(soda) is available all the time.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
BANNED

Gotta love a company that will try out Chateux Faygoux as a wine flavored soft drink... no bull, it's for real.

Or Faygo Brau... ginger ale that looks and pours like beer.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
BANNED

For a company that has such a wide variety of flavors I am always somewhat disappointed by the rather limited selection that most local grocers in the area have... I end up getting the diet Orange and Diet Root Beer out of LCD force rather than choice.

Last edited by devilsknew; 11-16-2010 at 08:25 PM..