The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
How come Iggy Pop is that fit?

Just happened on a vid of Iggy Pop half naked on stage. I of course had seen him many times in that state (or naked), but here , with the lighting, it was really striking. This guy has an incedible body, not muscular ugly like gym bitches, but very very fit, superhero or greek statue proportions-like. Yet, I just cant see Iggy Pop doing a massive amount of sport.
So, how come Iggy Pop is that fit?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
He looks freakish, like a survivor of some Stalinist work camp in Siberia. Doesn't look superhero or Greek statue at all. As to why? Drugs, probably.

Last edited by RikWriter; 11-13-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
He looks freakish, like a survivor of some Stalinist work camp in Siberia. Doesn't look superhero or Greek statue at all. As to why? Drugs, probably.
Nah, he's fatless but it's muscles under his skin, not bones. That's what I find impressive in his physique. Drug addicts never struck me as having such body types (though he's probably a morphine or heroin addict).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Nah, he's fatless but it's muscles under his skin, not bones. That's what I find impressive in his physique. Drug addicts never struck me as having such body types (though he's probably a morphine or heroin addict).
There's on online Men's Fitness article that quotes him as saying the only exercise he does is some Tai Chi and a couple hundred yards in the pool. So I gotta think it's mostly just starving himself due to drugs. Heroin is a great diet drug, if you don't mind the side effects.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
So I gotta think it's mostly just starving himself due to drugs. Heroin is a great diet drug, if you don't mind the side effects.
But if you starve yourself, you lose muscle as well as fat. Heroin addicts just look skinny usually, muscleless. He isnt like that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
He looks freakish, like a survivor of some Stalinist work camp in Siberia. Doesn't look superhero or Greek statue at all. As to why? Drugs, probably.
One man's "freakish" is another man's "hot." My guess is that you don't like thin people in general. I do, and all things considered he looks great. If he has a body like that without trying . . . and hes over 60 . . . he is blessed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Shakester Shakester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
"Once a drug user, always a drug user"?

Iggy cleaned up back in the early 80s. He's been clean since then.

He's in good shape because he eats well and exercises hard.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
One man's "freakish" is another man's "hot." My guess is that you don't like thin people in general. I do, and all things considered he looks great. If he has a body like that without trying . . . and hes over 60 . . . he is blessed.
That's exactly my point. I dont specially fantasize on thin people, but that a drug addict, twice my age, that barely does any sport, has a body some people would kill for blows my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
"Once a drug user, always a drug user"?

Iggy cleaned up back in the early 80s. He's been clean since then.

He's in good shape because he eats well and exercises hard.
You mean he doesnt do drugs any more? Judging by his rumblings that's even scarier.
So, he really does a lot of sport? (and he is blessed with a good body type to start with I guess).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
One man's "freakish" is another man's "hot." My guess is that you don't like thin people in general.
I have nothing against thin. I do think looking like you've been starving yourself for years looks creepy. It's the difference between say, Angelina Jolie and Kate Moss.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Tamerlane Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
He's in good shape because he eats well and exercises hard.
Terry Gross asked him this question in an interview a few years back and part of his deadpan, even slightly pompous-sounding answer ( he always seems to sound like he is talking down to people to me, something about his tone of voice ), was that "he has sex a lot" .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Tamerlane Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,315
Okay, just breezed through that part of that interview clip again ( easily found on search ) and he doesn't sound as pompous the second time around. But his answers were Tai Chi, swimming and a lot of sex - no weight-lifting.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 11-13-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Kayeby Kayeby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I did a google image search and he looks pretty awful to me. He has a 6 pack in a lot of the photos, but that's just a matter of low body fat. Just because he is thin doesn't mean he's fit.

My dad is the same way - he's extremely underweight due to illness (something like 40kg at 5'4"ish) and even though he is very weak, his low body fat means that he has visible abs and good definition for what little muscle he does have. His muscles haven't completely wasted away because he still uses them for everyday activities like walking and lifting things - and Iggy Pop has probably retained even more muscle, given that he's far more active than my father.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Batsinma Belfry Batsinma Belfry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
He has what I call "old guy muscles". They are the kind of muscles that develop over years of hard labor, and never fully disappear. He use to get pretty physical onstage.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Argent Towers Argent Towers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
The cluster of blown nerves near his upper pect looks hideous.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 AM
BleizDu BleizDu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Just happened on a vid of Iggy Pop half naked on stage. I of course had seen him many times in that state (or naked), but here , with the lighting, it was really striking. This guy has an incedible body, not muscular ugly like gym bitches, but very very fit, superhero or greek statue proportions-like. Yet, I just cant see Iggy Pop doing a massive amount of sport.
So, how come Iggy Pop is that fit?
I have a friend who is very fit, no fat, only dry muscles. They do not exercise, they're basically like that by nature. They always get comments about how they must lift weight or do this or that, but nope!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.