Intrusion Detection

I was just switching from The Pit to MPSIMS when the page stalled out and my AV detected an intrusion attempt from www.erpoi.org.in.

9:32pm Central, November 15, 2010.
Source address 194.8.250.113

I just got something weird, too. It read:

I wasn’t sure what that was so I didn’t click through. I have no idea what “checkwinonline.com” is (seems like it may be some “free virus scan” bullshit). Could these problems be related to the maintenance Ed did tonight?

I’m not finding the first complaint listed anywhere.

Checkwinonline.com” appears to be from Russia. It’s not on our pages.

http://www.adrolling.com/checkwinonline.com

Here’s stuff on the first one, courtesy of Google

I just got the same thing too.

I was just hijacked on the “In My Honest Opinion” board by some virus scan BS site. Luckily my installed virus blocker stopped it before anything major happened!

Same here, got some cootie somehow

I’ve reported this to our contacts at Rubicon, our ad provider.

So any news on this? I’m not complaining. The problem only happened once, and I was not able to replicate it. However, I am curious as to what caused it. I’m running Firefox with AdBlock. Again, it only happened the once, and no harm done on my end. I’m just curious.

I can give you the basic idea of how this happens: The ad provider is given an ad to what seems to be a legitimate site. But, either through hacking or, more likely, original design, the ad actually redirects to another page every so often, and that other page is the one that hosts the actual malware. If done well, it becomes really hard to know which ad was the problem.

I think the best ad providers actually reverse engineer the code of ads to make sure they don’t do this, or something. But smaller ones can’t afford to do this.

Slightly different but same situation so I am posting it here:

While trying to open a thread in Cafe Society the tab got redirected to [link removed] one of those fake “OMG, you’ve got major viruses so your copy of Windows will not work!!!`!!one!” sites with a fake Windows virus alert screen (on my Mac) that continuously tries to force download a setup.exe application which is clearly malware.

Closing the window and reopening the same thread didn’t bring it up, which means it’s most assuredly a rogue ad doing it that didn’t happen to be loaded that time.