The Scale Of The Universe On One Web Page

I don’t know if this has been posted before but holy crap this is awesome.

Freaking awesome!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

StG

That was neat! Wow.

There are giant earthworms up to 7 meters long?? HOLY CRAP!!!

very interesting! Thanks! I find it fascinating that there is NOTHING between the Planck length and the neutrino. It seems as if there is so much space between the smallest object we know about, and the smallest something could theoretically be!

Fun!

I find it interesting that they know the size of a neutrino.

(The neutrino has zero size as far as we know, just like electrons and other fundamental particles. Also, the Planck length needn’t have any physical relevance. It’s just a size that pops out when you combine Newton’s constant G, Planck’s constant h, and the speed of light c with the right exponents to form a length unit. There may or may not be anything meaningful going on at that scale.)

Aside from nitpicks, though, neat site…

I feel so significant now!

Freaking cool! brb sharing this on Facebook.

A similar idea can be seen here: http://www.powersof10.com/

You’re scrolling the wrong way.

This one has been linked to many times here, but just in case someone hasn’t seen it yet:

I must add a “freaking awesome” to this thread!

Yeah, but if you scroll out, you get to a big lie at the end. They can say “We’re probably not” all they want, but I know I am.

How is there an “estimated size of the Universe” beyond the “observable Universe?”

Ha! I just knew Nicole wasn’t the center of the universe.

Enter the vortex!

You can hear them when they move underground. Here’s a clip of David Attenborough talking about them.

I believe the theory is that the Universe is in fact larger in light years than it is old in years, if you get my drift. So while the universe is about 14 billion years old and therefore you can “see” things 14 billion LY away (the distances are different for various reasons but never mind) the universe is actually bigger than that; there is universe further away than 14 billion LY, and the light just can’t reach us, or hasn’t, or something.

I have no idea how they know that, but they do - or they think it - and it explains why we seem to be in the middle of the universe; because we are actually in the middle of a 14-billion-light-year-radius bubble of the part of the universe we can see.