Why is the Edmund Fitzgerald so remembered?

Someone makes a thread each year of the anniversary. I was 1 year old when it sank. At the time, was it a national news event? Or is it’s fame due more to the Gordon Lightfoot song? Why did a freighter that lost 29 people become so well known and remembered?

I meant to post this in IMHO.

Because of the song, I think.

Because of the song. Just like more people remember the “Andrea Gail” sinking because of the book “Perfect Storm.”

Because it celebrates drunken anal sex.

If not for the song, I wouldn’t know about it. The song has all the ingredients of a Greek myth or a Norse one. The elements are so heroic in scale and significance. It rivals the Titanic for hubris and The Perfect Storm for the power of nature.

Lightfoot’s musical prowess and poetry are enough to make it memorable even if it were fictitious.

Chilling and memorable story. Like The Alamo.

I prefer to remember the events of the song “Convoy” every June 6.

It’s also a beer.

Because of the mystery of the event. It just ceased to be. I know the true story, and which mothership was involved.

I am so going to hell for this. Does it go down easy?

You can drink it like a fish.
Errr or with a fish if you’re so inclined.

Probably too that there were no survivors, and the fact that no one knows exactly what happened. There was no distress sent, and no bodies have been found at the wreck site.

Final voyage and wreck.

I think if it weren’t for the song, the Maritime Sailor’s Cathedral (in real life, the Mariner’s Church) would have closed years ago.