The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jali View Post
I get stared at, then told who I look like.

I hate it.

I don't understand people's urge to tell me that I look like a celebrity. It may be true, but what's the point in telling me?

I find a lot of people do this. When there are photo posts here, someone will invariably tell someone else who they resemble.

Amazingly rude.
I had a friend who was the spitting image of Gwyneth Paltrow. It literally ruled her life.
Advertisements  
Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
<snip> (my wide did, too!)
Wow - most dangerous typo EVER!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 AM

I have an unusual voice, and sometimes people stare the first time they hear me.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 AM

It'll be because I fell off the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, and apparently I'm still not out of the woods yet.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I used to know a guy who got stared at quite a bit. He had multiple physical deformities. And he was pretty bitter about his situation.
I've never been handsome. Not for a day. I can't blame people if they stare; I can blame myself for how I handle it. I try to smile or throw humor or a pantomime with a smile into the situation and if it works, great. And if it doesn't, I'll just nod my head to one side and walk away thinking "Oh well...." But that's on good days.

On days when I don't want to deal, I'll just look down.

And... I'm not going to lie & say their haven't been situations where I have been in a Really bad mood & have used it for evil. For example, can you do the Hannibal Lechter *slither-fwip**slither-fwip**slither-fwip*
really well? Add that onto an imposing presence that was a back-hand slap of genetics (possibly a few round-kicks too) with a few scars in the mix here & there. Then again, I figure Anyone can just say "F-ck-Off".
It takes talent to make it more... personal.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
Seriously, I went to the beach in Tuscany and I've never been so blatantly stared at in my life. I don't know if they thought I wouldn't notice or they just didn't give a shit about how rude it was.
They figure, if you're going to stare, Just Do It. You shouldn't stare, but if you're going to break the rule, you should break it openly rather than try to act all "ooooh I'm not! No, no, I don't keep stealing looks at the cute exotic chick! It's someone else!"

Sort of like how Italian and Hispanic guys will stare at you after a wolf whistle, while several times in the US I got a whistle or a honk from some glow-in-the-dark dude who tried to look like it wasn't him. The way we see it, trying to be coy about breaking the rule adds cowardice to the count of faults.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 AM

I never get that, but if I was sitting immobile somewhere, like a restaurant table, I would just aim my eyeballs directly into those of the starer and lock on and not let go. I suppose after a minute or two I might very slowly and almost imperceptibly tip my head to one side and start to sort of glaze over, becoming increasingly vacant. That would get pretty creepy and they would likely look away. It would be fun. Better still if the person with me would join in.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Yes, men and babies. I have one of those generically pleasant and attractive faces (think your typical American female broadcaster) and I'm told I have a great smile, and when men and babies stare at me I often smile back, which I guess encourages them to stare some more. It used to make me uncomfortable but nowadays I figure I should appreciate it while it lasts, although sometimes it can be disconcerting, especially if I'm on a date. I also get told I look like this or that celebrity--it's the generic blonde thing--by people who have been staring.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etv78 View Post
Little kids stare at my wheelchair.
I get that also. When I am well enough to just use crutches, I get a lot of comment on them. I have custom purple folding canadians OK, I admit, they are purple...=)

I can highly recommend these folks. Good customer service, and the foldability means I can actually fold them up and put them in a bag on my travel chair and be able to get up and gimp around on an airplane or when I need to transfer or whatever. Though the elastic cord inside is whippy as hell and nailed me once or twice while I was getting used to them.

I get more comments on the canadians and how much easier they are than the standard axillary ones.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I'm the only black person, besides Prince, in the entire state. People never stop looking at me.
This just about killed me.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I got stared at all the time when I lived in RI. I was a chef there and did a lot of TV and radio. I didnt mind at all since I was very much the extrovert/attention whore.
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of any chefs I've seen on TV other than Chef Terranova, haha! If I ever stared at you, apolologies.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 AM

I have noticed that I am not stared at, tend to blend right in and no one seems to notice me.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I get that also. When I am well enough to just use crutches, I get a lot of comment on them. I have custom purple folding canadians OK, I admit, they are purple...=)

I can highly recommend these folks. Good customer service, and the foldability means I can actually fold them up and put them in a bag on my travel chair and be able to get up and gimp around on an airplane or when I need to transfer or whatever. Though the elastic cord inside is whippy as hell and nailed me once or twice while I was getting used to them.

I get more comments on the canadians and how much easier they are than the standard axillary ones.
SOOOO tempted to change my title to "Purple Folding Canadian."
Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
SOOOO tempted to change my title to "Purple Folding Canadian."
Knock yourself out=)

Wait, don't - concussions suck ...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM

When people stare at me. It's go time for a staredown. I fucking hate it.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:36 PM

It happens to me all the time, especially in stores right before I hear "do you work here?"

I don't find it rude at all. Somebody is looking at me - so what? Some people in this thread are acting as if it's the same thing as somebody putting their finger in your nose. Frankly it sounds so... 8th grade. It's the sort of things that kids and prison inmates start fights over.

Getting all freaked-out because somebody is staring at you sounds like a symptom of a minor neurosis.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
Getting all freaked-out because somebody is staring at you sounds like a symptom of a minor neurosis.

Not liking something or being uncomfortable does not equal getting all freaked out.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 PM

I find my self staring a lot at pretty women with great bodies. I admire their beauty...
Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Not liking something or being uncomfortable does not equal getting all freaked out.
I got that. That's why I said "some people..."
Old 11-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I am going to get my ass kicked for staring at the wrong person one day, I just know it. It's a bad habit, but I am just infinitely fascinated with everything about the way people look and behave.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I am going to get my ass kicked for staring at the wrong person one day, I just know it. It's a bad habit, but I am just infinitely fascinated with everything about the way people look and behave.

Can you see me from Phoenix on a clear day? Stop it, stop looking at me!!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM

You keep staring at me, you're gonna see me punch you in the face.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
It happens to me all the time, especially in stores right before I hear "do you work here?"

I don't find it rude at all. Somebody is looking at me - so what? Some people in this thread are acting as if it's the same thing as somebody putting their finger in your nose. Frankly it sounds so... 8th grade. It's the sort of things that kids and prison inmates start fights over.

For me it's the long stare not the quick one that irks me. But I'm sure that doesn't bother you either right ?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM

I tend to melt into the background. I'm totally boring and average in appearance and have an extremely common first name and people have a hard time remembering me.

Going to China for a few weeks was something else though. Constant stares all around. You'd think people in Beijing had never seen an ugly white girl before. On the one hand, the tour guides were bringing me forks and English language materials before I even asked, but on the other hand, it caused all the Chinese-born friends I was with to get ripped off at tourist prices because my mere presence gave us away.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Going to China for a few weeks was something else though. Constant stares all around. You'd think people in Beijing had never seen an ugly white girl before.
My brother is 6' 6". His wife is 6' 1". When they toured China they not only got stares, they had families asking for them to pose in pictures with them.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Often it's because I'm out with two adorable English Bulldogs. I don't know if only one of them would get as many stares, but the two of them together attract a lot of attention.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM

The only memorable time people stared at me, I mean turning their heads to stare at me, was the time one hot summer....I put on cute sandals, a tank top, and the cutest white shorts. These shorts were slit up the sides, which were laced up with crisscrossing cord, tied at the hem. Strutted through the mall, gettin' eyeballed by people, thinking am I hottt or what? Sexy! Went in a store, glanced in a full length mirror, discovered to my horror I had forgotten to change into high-cut thongy panties. Raggedy old granny panty briefs showed through the slit. Black granny panty briefs.

Another lace-up story: wore a cute white vest which also laced up the front with cord. Went to a club, danced, got lotsa looks from guys! Heads turning. Feeling hott! Friends came and found me. One of them grabbed the laces of my vest and pulled the gaping closing shut, tied a knot at the top - "you do realize you're giving everyone a free show, don't you?" Uh....

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-28-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

It's offputing to have someone you don't know fixating on you. You don't know what their intentions are.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
The usual crutches are still the triangular ones, in the US?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM

They just stare and whisper, wherever I go.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Small town thing

I have noticed that people do it in the South all the time. Especially in small towns. They will stare at you if you look even a little different. I have confronted some of these characters, asked them what they were staring at and they just look away and pretend they don't hear you. Very rude, it drives me crazy.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM

I lived in rural Japan in the early 80s. I was only the second foreigner to have lived in one particular place, the first was a Filipino wife of a farmer or something. People would walk into walls staring at me. I just learned to tune it out at the time.

As there are many more foreigners now in Asia, while we get noticed or looked at sometimes, it's not nearly as much as 30 years ago. Damn, time goes by.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Yes, they stare at me because I'm a zombie.

Also because I have a prehensile tail.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 PM

(This only applies if my wife isn't present)
It's my constant playing or air bass/guitar/keyboards/drums/NS stick/bassoon, music or not.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM

When I got out of basic and was in really good physical shape I noticed a lot of women staring at me, a lot of women also told me they liked my green eyes or my eyelashes. I admit I'm really bad about staring at attractive women though I try not to gaze too long.

Last edited by pool; 04-17-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM

I'm ugly. People stare. I just stare back.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM

Children stare at me. Then they smile, laugh, point and run to me. It's happened since I turned 18, and I still have no idea why. I'm not complaining.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
I get stared at, but usually I know the reason for it. In Korea I get stared at either because I'm walking around with white people or I'm on the phone speaking in English. In (some parts of) Europe I get stared at because I'm Asian.

Seriously, I went to the beach in Tuscany and I've never been so blatantly stared at in my life. I don't know if they thought I wouldn't notice or they just didn't give a shit about how rude it was.
It's an italian thing. They stare openly, without embarrassment. It's not considered rude there. I'm european white but get stared at just because I don't look Southern Italian – I'm too tall, or too pale, or dressed differently, whatever.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I don't get stared at. I get noticed.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I'm the only black person, besides Prince, in the entire state. People never stop looking at me.
It was a tough day when Kirby Puckett died.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliahna View Post
I haven't noticed people staring at me. People to tend to smile at me a lot though, particularly the elderly. Friends have commented on it.
Me, too. My default expression is a grin, even when I'm doing something unpleasant like shopping in a crowded store filled with frustrating people or trapped in long lines. People who stare often approach and chat, which I'm really open to. I'm attracted to friendly, fun people and I'm glad they dig me, too.

The only stares that make me uncomfortable are the cool appraisals of women near my age. An unsmiling, critical assessment of my features, figure, and style feels a little intrusive. Just human nature, though, so I try to give a friendly smile in response. Which is nearly universally gnored

Last edited by Troppus; 04-18-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Someone gnored me once and it definitely made me feel .
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM

I sometimes get stared at because I'm a fat long haired guy wearing a cowboy hat and full length leather coat. I don't really have a problem with it, if I did I'd dress differently. It does depend where I go though, where I live there's a lot of goth and alternative types, but in some other places I do rather stand out.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Every now and then I'll get stared at. I assume I look like someone they know, or a famous (but now dead) person who I got cited for constantly. Case closed.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM

For me it is babies who stare. I have a large goatee almost six inches long and I think that is what attracts them. It is weird but quite nice. I just give them a big smile and usually get a smile or even a giggle back. Bothers some parents, guess the shaved head and attire make me scary to them but I am mostly harmless so meh.

Capt
Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
For me it is babies who stare.
My nephew's one year old stared at me the other day. Everyone thought it was cute. I growled, "What the fuck are you looking at?" and the kid started crying. No one thought that was cute.

Kids.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM

My wife and I get a few stares when we visit China: I feel like a celebrity, especially if random people shout "Hello!" at me or ask to get a picture taken with me. On the other hand, my wife thinks that people are staring because they assume she's a "personal assistant" (wink, wink) for the white guy.

I felt disappointed when I visited Shanghai where being a foreigner wasn't a novelty.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
I sometimes get stared at because I'm a fat long haired guy wearing a cowboy hat and full length leather coat. I don't really have a problem with it, if I did I'd dress differently. It does depend where I go though, where I live there's a lot of goth and alternative types, but in some other places I do rather stand out.
Consider trousers.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colander View Post
Consider trousers.
This is why we need a like button.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Sure people stare at me - usually because I'm wearing a black velvet hooded cloak, tights and curly-toed knee-high boots.