The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 AM

Who was Molly Hatchet

The prostitute that is, or was there a Molly Hatchet? I know I'm a little late for this party but I just fell in like with the band Molly Hatchet. Curious about the band name I started searching around the internet. The only thing I could find out was they were, "named after a legendary Southern prostitute who allegedly beheaded and mutilated her clients". But I can't find anything about MH the hooker. Even this site The 8 Most Infamous Killer Prostitutes of All Time list the others by their real name.

Plus killing your wealthy clients doesn't make much sense business-wise. So was there an historical Molly Hatchet or urban legend?
Advertisements  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Plus killing your wealthy clients doesn't make much sense business-wise.
So, in other words, she was flirtin' with disaster?

(Sorry...but you knew someone was gonna say it...)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Here is a little more info, but nothing definite.

Supposedly she was a prostitute from Salem named Abigail (Molly was a nickname) who murdered her clients with a hatchet in the 17th century. I've been poking around on the internet and google books though and only find references to this that are related to the band.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
I know I'm a little late for this party but I just fell in like with the band Molly Hatchet.
Haven't thought about that band in a while. I worked security at Oregon Jam in 1980. Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath. Wild and crazy.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

After more internet searching I have uncovered another story.

Molly Hatchet wasn't a murderer. Instead, she was a pro-prohibition zealot who went around attacking saloons (not people) with a hatchet.

I wasn't able to trace this back to anything real either.

I'm starting to think that this was something that was completely made up. None of the different versions (Molly/Abigail/prostitute/prohibitionist) seems to go back to anything real. I keep finding references that say she was a famous murderer or that history books or newspapers nicknamed her Molly Hatchet. If she's so darn famous why can't I find a single record of her existence?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Molly Hatchet wasn't a murderer. Instead, she was a pro-prohibition zealot who went around attacking saloons (not people) with a hatchet.
Carrie Nation was a hooker? (includes a picture of Ms. Nation with her Bible and her hatchet)

Last edited by Squink; 12-08-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 AM

I always assumed it was the band's invention, derived from Molly Pitcher. Change three letters for a tougher-sounding name, and then make up a meaner-still story to go with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM
BANNED

She was the best friend of Lizzie Borden, till one day Lizzie said, "Will you hold this ax for me"
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Carrie Nation was a hooker? (includes a picture of Ms. Nation with her Bible and her hatchet)
Six feet tall, 175 lbs. A "somewhat stern countenance" (read "a face that could stop clocks"). A mother that thought she was Queen Victoria. Volcanic temper. Prone to running amok with an axe in beer parlors. Hated alcohol because her husband took to drink; she thought demon rum ruined her marriage.

Igh...howinheck could someone be married to that and NOT take to drink??

Had it been me, I'd have probably skirted the niceties of demon rum and gone directly to a bullet in the brain.

p.s. sorry for the hijack, but I just HAD to get that off my chest
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Look at that hatchet wound!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I'm starting to think that this was something that was completely made up. None of the different versions (Molly/Abigail/prostitute/prohibitionist) seems to go back to anything real. I keep finding references that say she was a famous murderer or that history books or newspapers nicknamed her Molly Hatchet. If she's so darn famous why can't I find a single record of her existence?
My thoughts as well which prompted this thread. Sounds like the band pulled a fast one.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Six feet tall, 175 lbs. A "somewhat stern countenance" (read "a face that could stop clocks"). A mother that thought she was Queen Victoria. Volcanic temper. Prone to running amok with an axe in beer parlors. Hated alcohol because her husband took to drink; she thought demon rum ruined her marriage.

Igh...howinheck could someone be married to that and NOT take to drink??

Had it been me, I'd have probably skirted the niceties of demon rum and gone directly to a bullet in the brain.

p.s. sorry for the hijack, but I just HAD to get that off my chest
Continuing the hijack, and struck funny by the name "SeldomSeen": I can't find a copy on the web of my favorite Carrie Nation photographs, which I originally saw in a book on college pranks. Apparently, a Harvard drinking club with an ironic, sober name, once wrote to Ms. Nation about their club, and whadaya know, she turned up for a photo op. After an initial freak-out, they decided to have fun with it, and asked her to pose with them for some photos in their meeting room.

Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure, so when the lights went down, the props came out. The students outfitted themselves with bottles, mugs, cigars, and drunken expressions. The result: two pictures of a proud, stern Nation, surrounded by young men partaking in the vices she despised. They're hilarious.

Last edited by Max Torque; 12-08-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Aha! No wonder I couldn't find the picture, it was Yale, not Harvard. Let's see if this link works:

Carrie Nation and the boys.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

You can find the whole sordid tale in the book If At All Possible, Involve A Cow.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
She was the best friend of Lizzie Borden, till one day Lizzie said, "Will you hold this ax for me"
"Hey, Molly, let me ax you somethin'."
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Re Carrie Nation:

I always liked that some bar owner in Los Gatos, CA, exhibiting a rather odd sense of humor, named his place "Carry Nations", with a hatchet motif:

http://streetview.merchantcircle.com.../6/4392676.JPG

BTW, it was my understanding that Carrie Nation avoided civil suit for damages and more serious criminal penalties than she often got because Kansas was technically dry at the time, and the bars operating in plain view were actually illegal. The police were simply refusing to enforce a law unpopular with many people. So they charged her with things like "disturbing the peace", rather than charges which would call attention to illegal businesses operating in broad daylight, with law enforcement ignoring them.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Continuing the hijack, and struck funny by the name "SeldomSeen": I can't find a copy on the web of my favorite Carrie Nation photographs, which I originally saw in a book on college pranks. Apparently, a Harvard drinking club with an ironic, sober name, once wrote to Ms. Nation about their club, and whadaya know, she turned up for a photo op. After an initial freak-out, they decided to have fun with it, and asked her to pose with them for some photos in their meeting room.

Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure, so when the lights went down, the props came out. The students outfitted themselves with bottles, mugs, cigars, and drunken expressions. The result: two pictures of a proud, stern Nation, surrounded by young men partaking in the vices she despised. They're hilarious.
Ha! what a coup! those yalies had every right to be proud. It's a wonder Ms. Nation didn't go after them with her hatchet.

In re. the SeldomSeen thing, the name was taken from the character in the Edward Abbey novel The Monkey Wrench Gang, the polygamous jack-mormon river runner, Seldom Seen Smith. It was only after the fact that I discovered the name was also that of a famous show horse. Since I am often accused of dispensing ...err...equine feces it's probably appropriate.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure
That doesn't make sense to me. But they could easily have pulled that off in a lit room.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Heh. The band Molly Hatchet came to mind today, and I read where they took their name from the prostitute. Googling brought me to this thread.

Alas, little information even here.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Heh. The band Molly Hatchet came to mind today, and I read where they took their name from the prostitute. Googling brought me to this thread.
And if she and here clients are un-dead still, they are still doing business to this day!

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-07-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob View Post
Re Carrie Nation:

I always liked that some bar owner in Los Gatos, CA, exhibiting a rather odd sense of humor, named his place "Carry Nations", with a hatchet motif:
It has been a long time, but IIRC, that bar was started by Gary Dahl, the 'inventor' of the Pet Rock. So yeah, he has an odd sense of humor.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
It has been a long time, but IIRC, that bar was started by Gary Dahl, the 'inventor' of the Pet Rock. So yeah, he has an odd sense of humor.
The guy made A MILLION DOLLARS!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM
BANNED

The tale of the 17th century Salem prostitute seems very unlikely. For one, perhaps surprisingly or perhaps not, there was very little prostitution in the 13 colonies even into the 18th century.

For another, Salem, where 200 people, mostly women, were tried for witchcraft in the 1690s seems an unlikely place for a serial killing prostitute to have thrived and then to have disappeAred from the historical record. (Also considering the names of those involved in the witch trials are known to history)

Third. Molly is not known as a nick-name for Abigail
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
You're right. According to wiki he actually opened the place with the proceeds from his Pet Rock venture. He also won the Bulwer-Lytton contest in 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Da...ntrepreneur%29
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
SDSAB

I always liked Carrie Nation's description of herself as "a bulldog running along at the feet of Jesus, barking at what He doesn't like." Classic.