The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 AM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,397
Who was Molly Hatchet

The prostitute that is, or was there a Molly Hatchet? I know I'm a little late for this party but I just fell in like with the band Molly Hatchet. Curious about the band name I started searching around the internet. The only thing I could find out was they were, "named after a legendary Southern prostitute who allegedly beheaded and mutilated her clients". But I can't find anything about MH the hooker. Even this site The 8 Most Infamous Killer Prostitutes of All Time list the others by their real name.

Plus killing your wealthy clients doesn't make much sense business-wise. So was there an historical Molly Hatchet or urban legend?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM
fuzzypickles fuzzypickles is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The 11th Dimension
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Plus killing your wealthy clients doesn't make much sense business-wise.
So, in other words, she was flirtin' with disaster?


(Sorry...but you knew someone was gonna say it...)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 AM
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,836
Here is a little more info, but nothing definite.

Supposedly she was a prostitute from Salem named Abigail (Molly was a nickname) who murdered her clients with a hatchet in the 17th century. I've been poking around on the internet and google books though and only find references to this that are related to the band.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 847 mi. from Cecil
Posts: 28,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
I know I'm a little late for this party but I just fell in like with the band Molly Hatchet.
Haven't thought about that band in a while. I worked security at Oregon Jam in 1980. Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath. Wild and crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,836
After more internet searching I have uncovered another story.

Molly Hatchet wasn't a murderer. Instead, she was a pro-prohibition zealot who went around attacking saloons (not people) with a hatchet.

I wasn't able to trace this back to anything real either.

I'm starting to think that this was something that was completely made up. None of the different versions (Molly/Abigail/prostitute/prohibitionist) seems to go back to anything real. I keep finding references that say she was a famous murderer or that history books or newspapers nicknamed her Molly Hatchet. If she's so darn famous why can't I find a single record of her existence?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Squink Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Molly Hatchet wasn't a murderer. Instead, she was a pro-prohibition zealot who went around attacking saloons (not people) with a hatchet.
Carrie Nation was a hooker? (includes a picture of Ms. Nation with her Bible and her hatchet)

Last edited by Squink; 12-08-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Peremensoe Peremensoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I always assumed it was the band's invention, derived from Molly Pitcher. Change three letters for a tougher-sounding name, and then make up a meaner-still story to go with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Markxxx Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
She was the best friend of Lizzie Borden, till one day Lizzie said, "Will you hold this ax for me"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
SeldomSeen SeldomSeen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Carrie Nation was a hooker? (includes a picture of Ms. Nation with her Bible and her hatchet)
Six feet tall, 175 lbs. A "somewhat stern countenance" (read "a face that could stop clocks"). A mother that thought she was Queen Victoria. Volcanic temper. Prone to running amok with an axe in beer parlors. Hated alcohol because her husband took to drink; she thought demon rum ruined her marriage.

Igh...howinheck could someone be married to that and NOT take to drink??

Had it been me, I'd have probably skirted the niceties of demon rum and gone directly to a bullet in the brain.

p.s. sorry for the hijack, but I just HAD to get that off my chest
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 15,703
Look at that hatchet wound!
__________________
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
Steve Prefontaine
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
PlainJain PlainJain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
I'm starting to think that this was something that was completely made up. None of the different versions (Molly/Abigail/prostitute/prohibitionist) seems to go back to anything real. I keep finding references that say she was a famous murderer or that history books or newspapers nicknamed her Molly Hatchet. If she's so darn famous why can't I find a single record of her existence?
My thoughts as well which prompted this thread. Sounds like the band pulled a fast one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 9,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Six feet tall, 175 lbs. A "somewhat stern countenance" (read "a face that could stop clocks"). A mother that thought she was Queen Victoria. Volcanic temper. Prone to running amok with an axe in beer parlors. Hated alcohol because her husband took to drink; she thought demon rum ruined her marriage.

Igh...howinheck could someone be married to that and NOT take to drink??

Had it been me, I'd have probably skirted the niceties of demon rum and gone directly to a bullet in the brain.

p.s. sorry for the hijack, but I just HAD to get that off my chest
Continuing the hijack, and struck funny by the name "SeldomSeen": I can't find a copy on the web of my favorite Carrie Nation photographs, which I originally saw in a book on college pranks. Apparently, a Harvard drinking club with an ironic, sober name, once wrote to Ms. Nation about their club, and whadaya know, she turned up for a photo op. After an initial freak-out, they decided to have fun with it, and asked her to pose with them for some photos in their meeting room.

Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure, so when the lights went down, the props came out. The students outfitted themselves with bottles, mugs, cigars, and drunken expressions. The result: two pictures of a proud, stern Nation, surrounded by young men partaking in the vices she despised. They're hilarious.

Last edited by Max Torque; 12-08-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 9,653
Aha! No wonder I couldn't find the picture, it was Yale, not Harvard. Let's see if this link works:

Carrie Nation and the boys.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
silenus silenus is offline
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41,095
You can find the whole sordid tale in the book If At All Possible, Involve A Cow.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
She was the best friend of Lizzie Borden, till one day Lizzie said, "Will you hold this ax for me"
"Hey, Molly, let me ax you somethin'."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
yabob yabob is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 7,252
Re Carrie Nation:

I always liked that some bar owner in Los Gatos, CA, exhibiting a rather odd sense of humor, named his place "Carry Nations", with a hatchet motif:

http://streetview.merchantcircle.com.../6/4392676.JPG

BTW, it was my understanding that Carrie Nation avoided civil suit for damages and more serious criminal penalties than she often got because Kansas was technically dry at the time, and the bars operating in plain view were actually illegal. The police were simply refusing to enforce a law unpopular with many people. So they charged her with things like "disturbing the peace", rather than charges which would call attention to illegal businesses operating in broad daylight, with law enforcement ignoring them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
SeldomSeen SeldomSeen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Continuing the hijack, and struck funny by the name "SeldomSeen": I can't find a copy on the web of my favorite Carrie Nation photographs, which I originally saw in a book on college pranks. Apparently, a Harvard drinking club with an ironic, sober name, once wrote to Ms. Nation about their club, and whadaya know, she turned up for a photo op. After an initial freak-out, they decided to have fun with it, and asked her to pose with them for some photos in their meeting room.

Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure, so when the lights went down, the props came out. The students outfitted themselves with bottles, mugs, cigars, and drunken expressions. The result: two pictures of a proud, stern Nation, surrounded by young men partaking in the vices she despised. They're hilarious.
Ha! what a coup! those yalies had every right to be proud. It's a wonder Ms. Nation didn't go after them with her hatchet.

In re. the SeldomSeen thing, the name was taken from the character in the Edward Abbey novel The Monkey Wrench Gang, the polygamous jack-mormon river runner, Seldom Seen Smith. It was only after the fact that I discovered the name was also that of a famous show horse. Since I am often accused of dispensing ...err...equine feces it's probably appropriate.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Uncertain Uncertain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Well, the photographic process they employed required a black room for exposure
That doesn't make sense to me. But they could easily have pulled that off in a lit room.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 49,039
Heh. The band Molly Hatchet came to mind today, and I read where they took their name from the prostitute. Googling brought me to this thread.

Alas, little information even here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Heh. The band Molly Hatchet came to mind today, and I read where they took their name from the prostitute. Googling brought me to this thread.
And if she and here clients are un-dead still, they are still doing business to this day!

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-07-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
jasg jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob View Post
Re Carrie Nation:

I always liked that some bar owner in Los Gatos, CA, exhibiting a rather odd sense of humor, named his place "Carry Nations", with a hatchet motif:
It has been a long time, but IIRC, that bar was started by Gary Dahl, the 'inventor' of the Pet Rock. So yeah, he has an odd sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM
lost4life lost4life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
It has been a long time, but IIRC, that bar was started by Gary Dahl, the 'inventor' of the Pet Rock. So yeah, he has an odd sense of humor.
The guy made A MILLION DOLLARS!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM
FrankJBN FrankJBN is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 592
The tale of the 17th century Salem prostitute seems very unlikely. For one, perhaps surprisingly or perhaps not, there was very little prostitution in the 13 colonies even into the 18th century.

For another, Salem, where 200 people, mostly women, were tried for witchcraft in the 1690s seems an unlikely place for a serial killing prostitute to have thrived and then to have disappeAred from the historical record. (Also considering the names of those involved in the witch trials are known to history)

Third. Molly is not known as a nick-name for Abigail
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
yabob yabob is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
It has been a long time, but IIRC, that bar was started by Gary Dahl, the 'inventor' of the Pet Rock. So yeah, he has an odd sense of humor.
You're right. According to wiki he actually opened the place with the proceeds from his Pet Rock venture. He also won the Bulwer-Lytton contest in 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Da...ntrepreneur%29
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the Diogenes Club
Posts: 48,881
I always liked Carrie Nation's description of herself as "a bulldog running along at the feet of Jesus, barking at what He doesn't like." Classic.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.