The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
I tried to get a price quote on my soul, but their system is busted. After you go through their questions you get an error message instead of an offer. Bummer.

Or maybe my soul is busted and it's not worth anything.
Advertisements  
Old 12-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Maybe different souls have different values and different wishes/fantasies/whatever have different prices?
That's why I'm keeping it reasonable. I'm not asking to be Emperor of the World or anything. I'm just asking for a threesome with a couple of hot women. Quite a bargain for the devil. Theophilus, Faust, Urbain Grandier, Tom Walker, Paganini, Jabez Stone, Robert Johnson, Dorian Gray, Stanley Moon, Bobby Shelton, Elliot Richards - they all got more than that.

Okay, Homer Simpson only got a donut but that was his own fault.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM

OK, I'm a decent person, my request of the devil isn't sinful in nature, no sex, I just want a green thumb, or a car with better mpg...Can I sell the devil a soul that I didn't actually buy...just sort of "acquired accidentally"...See I sort of "sucked the soul" out of my first husband and I'm not doing anything with it now, soooo...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 AM

When you sell your soul to the devil, you are selling your after-life self into eternal slavery and torment. If the people who sold their souls to you were (however frivolously) agreeing to sell their after-life selves for eternity, not just for however long you were able to use them, then it is perfectly valid that you are acting as middle-man for them to sell their souls for 5 dollars to the devil.

There is a genre theme of this nature - middle men who get some reward for conning others into selling their souls to the devil. That's all you are really doing, just on a wholesale basis rather than a direct commission. The devil would approve of such sound business arrangements.

Unfortunately, he would eventually trick you into selling a soul you don't have yet, and then dying before you can make up the shortfall. Those are the perils of doing deals with the devil.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
A good point. Because I've always said that even if I was theoretically willing to sell my soul to the devil in exchange for something I wanted, the actual appearance of the devil to consumate the deal would be enough to make me renege. ... his attempts to lead people to damnation have probably saved plenty of people who might otherwise have been damned anyway.
Which is why it's been said, "the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he doesn't exist." (Charles Baudelaire)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I summon the devil
Right here, your plan is already doomed to fail.

If there's one thing the Devil is good at, it's stacking the cards in his favor. He traditionally shows himself just when an individiual is most vulnerable, exactly at the point one is most likely to agree to give up one's soul. He preys upon people who've hit Rock Bottom and are easily convinced that they have no better option.

So you think you can just "summon" him? I doubt it. If he just popped up from Hell every time some schmuck yelled, "Hey, Luce, I feel like boinking some hot celebs," he'd never get anything done.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Nobody has seemed to point out the obvious.

If Nemo gets his threeway then we'll all be damned anyway.

Lord knows I will.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_n8 View Post
If Nemo gets his threeway then we'll all be damned anyway.
That's right. I'm the Keymaster. Rosario and Maggie are the Gatekeepers. And it's Gozer time.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Some things are worth being damned for.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
I tried to get a price quote on my soul, but their system is busted. After you go through their questions you get an error message instead of an offer. Bummer.

Or maybe my soul is busted and it's not worth anything.
You seriously think it's a technical issue. Come on. That site will NEVER work properly. Do you really think Satan is going to tolerate the competition?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzero View Post
You seriously think it's a technical issue. Come on. That site will NEVER work properly. Do you really think Satan is going to tolerate the competition?
I thought Satan would have a basic sense of fairness.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 AM

When I was in elementary school, inspired by that episode of The Simpsonsn (as most great plans are) I bought a kid's soul for a pencil. Never gave it much thought until now. What do you think I could get for it?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM

I agree that I think the idea of selling your soul to the devil is that when you die you will go to hell hands down, no questions asked. If you are evil enough to say, sell other people’s souls, there is still the chance of a death bed conversion. The Devil might think “Hey, this guy is going to be mine anyways” but what if tomorrow you have a vision from God (Allah, Buddha, whomever) and repent? He’d be out one soul. If you already sold it though, becoming the Pope wouldn’t help; you already made the deal.

On a side note, do you think that would come up on a background check when considering someone to take the papacy? Could you sell your soul to become the Pope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent View Post
Selling the souls of others for your threesome raises the specter of rape - what if Satan fulfills the bargaining by so manipulating the minds of the ladies Dawson and Q that they cannot really consent.
I can see him pulling a trick like that. What exactly do you mean by “threesome?” While they are living? At what age? While you are drunk and won’t remember it? In public? Try to find a non-lawyer to check the paperwork. I can see a new story “The Devil and Judge Judy.”
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
Could you sell your soul to become the Pope?
It's a requirement!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If it was the case that merely agreeing to the sale was sufficient to cause your damnation, why would the devil ever bother fulfilling his end of the bargain? He'd have acquired your soul as soon as you signed and have no need to pay you anything now.
No, no no. You've got it all wrong. Satan doesn't want the soul, exactly. He wants to spread sin and evil throughout the world. He doesn't begrudgingly fulfill your desires; he delights in it. It's his way of getting back at ole Yahweh. The fact that he takes custody of your immortal soul is just a byproduct of that.

Room and board is expensive in hell. You think he actually wants the spectre of you hanging around, breathing his sulfur and taking up the best brimstone? No, siree! It's just what he has to put up with as payment for that one night of revelry.

You know how, when you go on Craigslist to find some maybe-underage, down on their luck girls so you can pretend to ride a white horse but really you just want the sex, and you wake up with the herp? It's like that.

Quote:
the actual appearance of the devil to consumate the deal would be enough to make me renege.
Well, it's not hard to summon the devil nowadays. Just find yourself some good details. I hear he hangs out there, particularly in credit card statements and cable subscription paperwork.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking apparently not. In the majority of the "deal with the devil" stories I'm familiar with, the seller always expresses regret and repentance at some point. But it's never shown as being enough to overturn the deal.
I think most stories with a Faustian deal don't have a very active participation of God. If God does get involved, I think "oh fuck, what have I got myself into" isn't sufficient for repentance, you probably have to do your best to make amends. And then maybe God will provide you with a clever "out" in the terms and conditions?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:28 PM

BTW, OP, how does one contact the Devil? I have some business opportunities that he might be interested in.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
BANNED

The Market Wouldn't Allow This Scenario

If the street value of a soul is $5 then you're positing that that your celeb three-way fantasy is only worth 10 bucks? Fat chance. Why would the devil go through all the effort to make your fantasy a reality when all he has to do is drop down $10 cash to acquire two souls himself?

My guess is that the devil has bought up all the $5 souls available thus driving the price up. Or if he hasn't then there's a reason a $5 soul isn't particularly valuable or useful to him. And if the latter is the case, then you're certainly not trading two of them for a three-way.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 AM

The devil has morals ? and hates competition.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugme View Post
If the street value of a soul is $5 then you're positing that that your celeb three-way fantasy is only worth 10 bucks? Fat chance. Why would the devil go through all the effort to make your fantasy a reality when all he has to do is drop down $10 cash to acquire two souls himself?
Because he blew all his cash on instant lotto tickets? And I hear investing in solid gold fiddles gets expensive.

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 12-21-2010 at 02:59 AM..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
No, no no. You've got it all wrong. Satan doesn't want the soul, exactly. He wants to spread sin and evil throughout the world. He doesn't begrudgingly fulfill your desires; he delights in it. It's his way of getting back at ole Yahweh. The fact that he takes custody of your immortal soul is just a byproduct of that.
I have to disagree with this. All the evidence is that the devil cares about souls a lot more than he cares about the condition of the world. If anything, I think you've got the situation backwards. Satan causes sin and evil in the world as a means of acquiring souls. If a situation arises where the devil can acquire a soul by means of spreading love and happiness, he'll do that instead.

God and the devil have near omnipotent power over conditions on Earth. So why would those conditions hold any meaning for them? They know how transient they are - whatever one of them can do, the other can undo. So my guess is they compete for souls because souls are the one thing that's immune to their direct control. They can't take a soul - it has to be given.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugme View Post

My guess is that the devil has bought up all the $5 souls available thus driving the price up. Or if he hasn't then there's a reason a $5 soul isn't particularly valuable or useful to him. And if the latter is the case, then you're certainly not trading two of them for a three-way.
Sure the devil could go around with a sackful of five dollar bills picking up cheap souls. But it's easier for him if middlemen like myself consolidate these easy purchases and then offer them to him in bulk.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have to disagree with this. All the evidence is that the devil cares about souls a lot more than he cares about the condition of the world.
I have never understood this aspect of religion. Why are God or Satan obsessed with souls? What do they get out of collecting them? Worship? That is such a vain, feckless thing to base the meaning of life on. I sometimes wish there was a God so I could kick Him in the Balls.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I have never understood this aspect of religion. Why are God or Satan obsessed with souls? What do they get out of collecting them? Worship? That is such a vain, feckless thing to base the meaning of life on. I sometimes wish there was a God so I could kick Him in the Balls.
As I posted, I think it's the sport. Souls are the one thing a diety can't have just for the asking - they have to work for a soul.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 PM

That's what eBay is for...

Dunno if you can get the 3-way deal from Satan, but you can make some cash...

http://kembrew.com/prank/selling-my-soul/
Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I think you're going to hell in that deal, regardless of the terms of your contract with the Devil, for one pretty simple fact: you're willing to condemn people to an eternity of constant suffering for your own personal gain. That's just about as evil an act as I can imagine.
Little Nemo, this is the answer. Do you have a counter to this? (Maybe I missed it.)

You may have the legitimate right to sell that person's soul, but your decision to do so (when you can choose not to) is about the worst violation of the Golden Rule I can imagine. Even if your premise that the act of selling the soul is not a per se damnable offense that cannot be undone, your scenario simultaneously and deliberately screws over somebody else. Seriously, have your attorneys advise you on this.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 AM

A question: do I actually have to own the souls, or does it work if I've merely captured them? Say using some kind of soul harvester? Is that so far against the rules that it won't work (like trying to break the laws of physics), or is it more like a slave raid—still reprehensible, but I can still pull it off if no one actually steps in to stop me?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
Little Nemo, this is the answer. Do you have a counter to this? (Maybe I missed it.)

You may have the legitimate right to sell that person's soul, but your decision to do so (when you can choose not to) is about the worst violation of the Golden Rule I can imagine. Even if your premise that the act of selling the soul is not a per se damnable offense that cannot be undone, your scenario simultaneously and deliberately screws over somebody else. Seriously, have your attorneys advise you on this.
I think I covered this point in post #5. My belief is that there are two methods of getting your soul damned. One is through committing sins and the other is contractual.

So the issue is whether entering into a contract to sell your soul is itself a sin. Which I argued is not the case. Because if it was, then the devil would have no need to deliver his end of the bargains he signs - he would have already gained the souls just by signing the contract. And the evidence is this isn't true - the devil does pay up and if he fails the contract is void and the soul is saved. So obviously contracting to sell a soul isn't a sin. And if it's not a sin for a person to sell their soul, why would it be a sin for a third party to participate in the sale of a soul?

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-24-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
A question: do I actually have to own the souls, or does it work if I've merely captured them? Say using some kind of soul harvester? Is that so far against the rules that it won't work (like trying to break the laws of physics), or is it more like a slave raid—still reprehensible, but I can still pull it off if no one actually steps in to stop me?
I think that even assuming your soul could be removed without your consent, the lack of consent would render any subsequent transactions involving that soul null and void.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
If you repent and ask forgiveness, is it not in God's power to nullify the deal?
Read Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon's short story, "Small Print", for a take on that.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And if it's not a sin for a person to sell their soul, why would it be a sin for a third party to participate in the sale of a soul?
Because by selling the Devil someone else's soul, you're harming them, by damning them to an eternity in hell, for your own benefit. It's a sin to do that, and the fact that they were dumb enough to sell their soul to you in the first place doesn't relieve you of the moral obligation not to hurt them.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:02 PM

Yes, what Captain Amazing says. It's not the selling their soul per se (if we accept your premise). It's that in doing this, you have deliberately damned someone else to eternal torment. Whatever method accomplishes that, that's a pretty shitty thing to do, right?

Suppose the devil approached you out of the blue and said, "Just say the word, I'll see to it that John is damned for eternity. If you don't, I'll let him go." If you give Satan the nod, that would be the worst thing you could do to John, a damnable offense for you, I would assert. The fact that you accomplished this without selling a soul is irrelevant, just as it is in your scenario where Satan does get title to someone else's soul. The transaction itself isn't the problem. The problem is its effect.

Sorry, my advice to you remains the same: do not sell someone else's soul to the devil if you wish to avoid eternal damnation.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Does the Devil want the most "damaged" souls, or the least?

Let's say I've done something terrible and I'm already damned. But I find an innocent sucker who'll agree to give up his soul to the Devil if mine is left alone. Who's soul would the Devil prefer?

Also, surely if God wants someone's soul, the Devil can't have it, right? If not, wouldn't that be a limit on God's power?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
Because by selling the Devil someone else's soul, you're harming them, by damning them to an eternity in hell, for your own benefit. It's a sin to do that, and the fact that they were dumb enough to sell their soul to you in the first place doesn't relieve you of the moral obligation not to hurt them.
You may be right. But I've taken this possibility into account. See my post on my regular schedule of repentance for any sins I commit. This will cover me if selling other people's souls is, in fact, a sin.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzero View Post
...although I have to say I'm still fuzzy on the attorney/Satan distinction.
Satan doesn't have student loans to repay
Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You may be right. But I've taken this possibility into account. See my post on my regular schedule of repentance for any sins I commit. This will cover me if selling other people's souls is, in fact, a sin.
Like I said, read Lackey and Dixon's short story first:

http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/...878662___2.htm

Besides, repentence isn't that mechanistic. You obviously don't feel bad about selling said soul to the devil, you just want to stay out of hell.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Like I said, read Lackey and Dixon's short story first:
Not a relevent precedent. The devil never had any contractual claim on my soul in the first place.
Quote:
Besides, repentence isn't that mechanistic. You obviously don't feel bad about selling said soul to the devil, you just want to stay out of hell.
Guilt can be a motivation for repentance but it's not mandatory. Fear of damnation has always been portrayed as acceptable grounds for sincere repentance.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 AM

It seems like you're going to dismiss any objections to your plan.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 AM

I agree. As far as I'm concerned, Nemo can go to hell.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 AM

[QUOTE=Little Nemo;13237346]Based on the traditional beliefs that souls exist, that their ownership can be transferred, and that the devil exists and wants to acquire souls.

According to my understanding of christian religion, giving your soul to anyone other than God warrants damnation of that soul. Selling your soul to a person in itself would damn the soul and render it worthless in negotians with the devil
Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 AM

Whoa there, sparky! The devil deals in damned souls, kind of by definition. Sell your soul to the devil and you are damned, and the devil is fine with that. How else is the devil gonna get souls -- highjack the heaven-bound train?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM

The devil is a lookie loo, my soul has been on the market since at least '92 and he's never made an offer. And it's a fairly clean soul at that there are several commandments I haven't broken. Yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
In what religion would you be allowed into heaven after making a deal like that? Looks to me like he gets your soul anyway.
lol or he'll be stuck on earth...which to be would be pretty sick...i would love to stay on earth as a roaming spirit and see just watch and study people =P
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicy Weiner View Post
The devil has morals ? and hates competition.
the devil has morals? lol XD he's a buisness man...he'll do what he needs to do to get what he wants....and there is no competition if he's selling the souls to the devil...its more of a partnership....cuz what use does he have for the souls if he doesn't sell them to the devil =P
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM

This may be irrelevant to the point your trying to make...but what exactly is a "soul" and how would you go about in buying it from someone else. If there is a "devil" and he's some kind of spiritual being then he most likely has the ability to acquire ones "soul".....or actually who is to say that when you sell your "soul" you don't still have it...as long as the contract is kept...then you will be sent to hell when you die....and if thats the case i see nothing wrong with your idea and i do not see how it is "sinful" cuz if the contract is not kept then i see no reason why you shouldn't go to heaven.....what gives "god" the right to dictate what you do or do not do with your "soul" its YOUR "soul" "god" would be just as bad as the "devil" if he decides what you do or do not do with it.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM

i recently bought my friends soul he even singed a contract with his own blood how can i sell his soul now?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I'm not sure what would happen if you're genuinely repentant later on, but if you go into the deal thinking, "Oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness later" or later comes, "I wish I didn't do that, but it sure was fun" that voids the forgiveness asking.
But, then can't he get a Mormon friend and have posthumous baptism as a 'plan B'? Of course, then you end up on some planet, but the planet is supposed to be better than the hell that all us Christians are going to.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Are you able to take possession of the souls you claim to have bought from third parties? If not, how are you able to guarantee their receipt to the Prince of Lies? Assuming the existence of souls and The Devil, the way I see this playing out is that you offer money/sex/whatever to third parties for their souls. They enjoy whatever it is that you have offered for the exchange. You cut a deal with The Devil, who knows that you are actually unable to deliver the promised third party souls, and who then claims your soul as forfeit due to your inability to fulfill your end of the contract.
See, The Devil has an acknowledged ability to claim souls as his and carry them off for eternal torment. You are just some mook who traded goods or services in exchange for something the seller could not sell you and of which you could not gain possession. You lose on this all the way around.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Hang on here, I think Little Nemo going to have a hard time proving he validly contracted for the souls.

First problem I see is that the parties of the second part (hereinafter Sellers) haven't actually agreed to sell their souls to Nemo. It is a basic part of contract law that both sides have to have a 'meeting of the minds', about all the terms of the contract. If one party doesn't agree to all the terms of said contract, (in this case the Seller thinking he was getting $5.00 without promising anything in return) then it can be argued that the contract is null ab initio.

If however, a court of proper jurisdiction found that the Seller has validly contracted, a more troubling aspect is Little Nemo's fraudulent representation to Seller for the purpose of contracting in the first place. Little Nemo has represented to Seller that the sole purpse of the sale was skeptical in nature and he fraudulently obtained Seller's acceptance, when in fact, the scoundrel knew he was purchasing to resell to Old Scratch. Which again, could cause a court to void the contract.

Finally, even if the Court ruled against the Sellers one could make a public policy argument against the enforcement of the contract. I mean to force Ms. Dawson and Ms. Q to participate in the daming of a unsuspecting third party, no matter how pleasurable (or not) the experience may be to them, is an action that the Court should not be bound to enforce.

So, while Little Nemo's scheme is devious, and the mere attempt at it would be enough in some party's eyes to consign his immortal soul to the Netherworld anyway, I for one would not rule in Little Nemo's favor if I were the judge.

(BUT, there's always the Court of Appeals, those soulless bastards....)

Last edited by Wargamer; 11-16-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM

In several places in Europe there are legends where a builder, faced with insurmountable difficulties, makes a deal with the devil. In exchange for the devil's help, the devil is promised the soul of the first living being who uses or enters the edifice. Once the building is completed, an animal is chased over the bridge or into the building, thus cheating the devil of his reward.
Legend of the devil's bridge in Andermatt, Switzerland other legends