Is there a difference between the red, white & black Wii bundles

These are $199 and supposed to go on sale this week and next, so I am looking into them.

As far as I can tell the black and white bundles are the same. Both have wii sports resort along with wii sports and the red has mario brothers instead of wii sports resort.

I thought all 3 had the newer wii motion plus controller, but in this photo the black one has the older remote.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Local-Ad-2010-Video-Games/14658345

The white and black versions come with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. The red console is new for this year, and comes with Wii Sports, and the new Mario game. Other than that (and the colors) they all come with the same stuff.

Eta: I purchased the black Wii bundle from Amazon, and it did include the new Motion Plus Controller. All three current bundles should have the same hardware. Walmart is probably just using the wrong graphics on that page.

If you’re going to be getting this for yourself, you might want to consider Craigslist.

The only advantage the Wii had over more powerful systems like the PS3 and X-Box360 was the controller. Now that Wii-like controllers can be had for the better systems, lots of Wiis are going to be either collecting dust or being sold. You’ll likely be able to pick one up with a stack of games for what you’d pay for just the system in the store.

In the red Wii package, New Super Mario Bros. replaces Wii Resort, not Wii Sports.

Gamestop has a used Wii for $99. While the motion plus controller is more accurate, not a lot of games support it currently (and there are a LOT of games, mostly shovelware though). I got my second Wii from Gamestop used and have had no problems with it.

One of the main reasons I want one is I like wii sports resort since my brother had it. And a new Wii that has that game is about $125 after a GC at walmart, so it isn’t much more than the gamestop refurbished unit.

I have checked craigslist, and while Wiis do go on sale for $100-130 (usually with 2 controllers and a few games) they are usually snagged up within a day or so. For some reason cheap Wiis ($100-150) go quick in my area.

Yeah but the Wii has been around for 3 years, so there are tons of used games for $5 or less. The Kinect and Playstation Move are recent, so the games are probably higher priced and not as plentiful. Not only that but I can buy a Wii for the price of Kinect, and the PS3 Move is $50 or more.

:rolleyes:

That was never “the only thing the Wii had going for it.” It has always been about the games, many of which cannot be found on competitors’ consoles.

Also, Kinect is hardly a comparable controller, being that it’s not at all a Wii-like controller. Inspired by? Yes. Fundamentally different? Yes.

Doesn’t the Wii have a lot of exclusive games, though? Like the Mario games and other Nintendo-made games?

:confused:

Exactly – unless this a gift, there’s no real need to buy a new Wii when used ones are plentiful.

Very true – which is why I never said that. It has some great games. The system itself can’t compare to the PS3 or X-Box, but a lot of the games are a complete blast.

I have a PS3 and a Wii, and enjoy 'em both for different reasons. However, simple fact is the Wii is going to get less and less use as the Move collection grows.

Yup – every system has their exclusive games, but Nintendo’s is much more extensive.

But that is what you said. It may not be what you meant, but there’s not many other ways in which one can interpret “The **only **advantage the Wii had over more powerful systems like the PS3 and X-Box360 was the controller.”

It’s possible, sure, but very unlikely. The Move’s penetration will ever only be but a fraction of the Wii’s marketshare (hell, the PS3 is but a fraction of the Wii’s marketshare), and there are not exactly a ton of games with Move support on the horizon, let alone big ones. Kinect, frankly, is a bigger danger to the Wii as it actually offers something different, instead of something that is, fundamentally, very similar.

I’m probably going to buy a new one anyway, but I really don’t see the appeal of buying a used one.

A new one will be $125 with the gift card ($140 with taxes). Used ones go for about $110-150 or so. At the same time, they get bought up quickly so I’d probably have to drive 70 miles to a nearby town to get one (costing me about $20 in gas). So either way, I am spending about the same. At least with the new one I am going to have a longer lifespan. At best, I might save $20 buying a wii that is used. In fact, I just looked at used Wiis in one of hte nearby large towns on craigslist, and there are virtually none for less than $150 (maybe it is the season and people are buying them up as gifts or something).

On another note, the reason I want one is because of the wii motion plus. I loved sports resort, so finding a used one that is affordable with sports resort is going to be hard. Even if I do, it likely won’t be less than $125 when you factor in the cost of the Wii and the gas to go out and buy it.

I bought one for my Mom from Amazon a few weeks ago. It was the black one. If the Wii comes with Sports Resort it has to come with the Motion Plus, so don’t pay attention to the picture. I am glad I went with the black one. It doesn’t stand out like the white wii does and the red is probably just as bad.

And a warranty.

I suppose this is the thread to ask:

Say I get a Wii and Rockband. Will my old Zenith TV work? It has RCA hookups, it’s in color, and I think about 28". Or should I pretty much plan on needing a new TV if I’m getting one of the current generation of consoles?
(My last console was my N64. Looking for things the girlfriend and I can do together, and she likes the idea of the exercise game on the Wii)

You’ll be fine. The Wii is packaged with RCA cable inputs only - you have to look elsewhere for component cables - and that’s only a very minor graphics upgrade, to say the least.

You’ll be fine. I have a Wii and Xbox 360 and both have RCA cables. Both also have HDMI ports, but you can use either to connect to a TV

Wiis do not have HDMI ports.

The Wii tops out at 480p – no high-def there. You can use converters to get it to support an HDMI cable, but it doesn’t support it out of the box (and it won’t give you any better picture than RCA cables).

Yup, I’m wrong. Sorry. I was thinking of the xbox 360. Not sure how I extrapolated that to the wii.