The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Why are slow people slow?

We've all known slow people. I'm not talking about people who are mentally challenged (or whatever the current term for retarded is). I'm not talking about people who are physically impaired. I'm talking about those people who seem to be stuck in first gear.

I work with a guy like that. Friend of mine. But Jesus Christ he....is....so....effin'....slooooowwwwwwww. Takes him three or four times longer to do something as anyone else. And he doesn't do it better so you can't say he's just anal. I think it's laziness. Gets him out of doing other stuff. Drives me insane. I once tried to move as slowly as he does and couldn't. I really think you could set him fire and he'd just kinda stand there saying "Oh. I'm on fire. Hurts." as he trudges oh-so-slowly to fetch a fire extinguisher.

So is he just being lazy or is there some rare malady that causes slowness?

Last edited by stegon66; 12-16-2010 at 09:14 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Perhaps he simply doesn't care about what he is doing? Not everyone has a job they enjoy you know.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Back in the early 90s I worked for a research company in Wyoming as an accountant. Our accounts payable clerk (a real gem of an employee by the way) had been complaining about a check she had written. It had been a couple of months and still hadn't made it to the bank. She had called and yes it was at the guy's desk and he'd get right on it.

Another month goes by and still nothing. I wanted an excuse to get out of the office for a bit so I volunterred to walk over to the guy's office and talk to him about it.

Got there and the fellow met me at the door. I told him what I wanted and he said the check was still on his desk and he'd get right on it. I said something like, "Well, let's just toodle on back there and I'll help you." So off we went down the hall.

I'm a long way from a fast walker but in the less than 100 feet I had to stop twice and wait for him.

We finially get there and he rummages around a bit and turns up a stack of checks. It was easily an inch, maybe inch and half, thich. Of which ours was one.

I'm amazed. There had to have been thousands of dollars there, maybe tens of thousands. A number of them were older than ours.

So I had to ask, "How come you haven't taken these to the bank?"

"Oh, I guess I'm just slow," was his reply.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Sometimes when I catch up to people walking I will slow down to their pace rather than overtake, particularly if overtaking would mean I have to cut back across them quickly or do something else rude but some people walk so god-damned slow I almost fall over trying to match their pace. It baffles me how they cross the road without getting mown down, they would need a solid 2 minute gap in traffic to make it across.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Slow people got...
Slow people got...
Slow people got no reason to live...

Don't want no slow people 'round here.

Last edited by Musicat; 12-16-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegon66 View Post
We've all known slow people. I'm not talking about people who are mentally challenged (or whatever the current term for retarded is). I'm not talking about people who are physically impaired. I'm talking about those people who seem to be stuck in first gear.
Quote:
Mental retardation is a subtype of intellectual disability, although that term is now preferred by most advocates in most English-speaking countries as a euphemism for MR. However, intellectual disability is a broader concept, and includes intellectual deficits that are too mild to properly qualify as mental retardation, too specific (as in specific learning disability), or acquired later in life, through acquired brain injuries or neurodegenerative diseases like dementia. Intellectual disabilities may appear at any age.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm not slow in any other way, but I'm a terribly slow eater. I chew slower than most people, I have some troubles swallowing sometimes, I have some teeth issues - mostly it's just the way I was born, though. I would assume most slow people are the same - just the way they are.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Most people move so slowly it hurts my feelings. Seriously, I simply don't understand and am honestly offended by the way most people shuffle about their daily business as though they're made of time, and no one else's time matters. If it were up to me, the Golden Rule would be "Move faster, or move to the right."

Last edited by DianaG; 12-16-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Perhaps he simply doesn't care about what he is doing? Not everyone has a job they enjoy you know.
Hmmm...I don't think that answers the question. I wouldn't say I've enjoyed my jobs...some of them were OK but boring, some I've downright hated, but none of them were fun. I still tend to do tasks quickly because I just tend to do everything quickly.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfeena View Post
Hmmm...I don't think that answers the question. I wouldn't say I've enjoyed my jobs...some of them were OK but boring, some I've downright hated, but none of them were fun. I still tend to do tasks quickly because I just tend to do everything quickly.
I agree I have hated many of the jobs I have had. I mean I worked at McDonald's of all places years ago and I still worked fast. And there were people there that I wanted to punch in the face because they moved so slow. But having a job you hate doesn't give you a reason to be a slacker.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatsfan View Post
I agree I have hated many of the jobs I have had. I mean I worked at McDonald's of all places years ago and I still worked fast. And there were people there that I wanted to punch in the face because they moved so slow. But having a job you hate doesn't give you a reason to be a slacker.
Well, true, but I'm not claiming that I've always done my jobs to the best of my ability.

Sometimes I move quick and do a good, efficient job, and sometimes it's quick and maybe a little sloppy...I just tend to move quickly. And, I suppose some people probably react to having a job they don't like by trying to get tasks done and over with ASAP, vs. losing interest and dragging it out.

And conversely, someone may go slow because they enjoy their job and want to do it well and thoroughly.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Are these slow people big and/or heavy? Because I have noticed that it's the small, light people who are all the fastest ones (and this makes sense - they have less mass for their muscles to cart around.

I am a fairly slow person. Also, pretty tall. And yeah, it's just the way I am. If I can leverage my size (eg, walking somewhere) I can do okay, but anything requiring moving backwards and forwards and I'm just shot.

Doesn't help that I'm clumsy too, so if I try to do things quickly I make a mess, knock things over, and break stuff. So as well as being naturally slow, I've also learned to be slow, for my own protection (and everybody else's)

The guy in post #3 was just a lazy bum though...
Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Stubborn. My grandfather was slow, and it was just stubbornness on his part. He was gonna do what he was gonna do when he was good and ready to do it.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Well, that'd be fine if others didn't have to pick up his slack. And he's the first person to bitch (and he does it quite loudly) if someone else forgets to do something.

Basically it's okay for him to move slowly and half-ass everything but if you only stock nine loaves of bread instead of ten he'll cuss you out.

FWIW, he's skinny and on the tall side.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 AM

The walking is the worst, when you have to walk with these people. I admit, I am a fast walker, but I am willing to come part way to meet you. It's when we slow down to a crawl that I am like WTF? I am not saying that you should do everything fast, but efficiency is apparently an unheard of concept in their minds.

And that check story would have made me want to beat him with the checks. That's people's money! You do not mess with people's money.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 AM

When my sister came home from the Army, she all-of-a-sudden started walking twice as fast as everyone else. My brother and I were always yelling at her to slow down and wait for us. Then I went and came back. My sister and I would yell at my brother to catch up. Then he went and came back.

Now our SOs yell at us to wait for them.

So my suggestion to you, OP, is to get the guy drafted.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 AM

I walk at the pace I walk at. You can either be with me or you can rush off like a nervous little Chuhuahua.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegon66 View Post
So is he just being lazy or is there some rare malady that causes slowness?
Where are you from, and where is he from? I find that people from larger cities tend to move much faster than people from the country. It may just be simply a matter of differing upbringings - a pace of life thing.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM

My mom has gotten slow over the years, mainly in walking and I assume it has to do with age. I was watching her gait once and noticed she doesn't step forward. She tends to rock back and forth to walk, a lot like this wind up toy. I'm not sure why she does this, I'm a touch worried her hips or knees are getting a little worn out with age.

But I had a roommate in college who was genuinely slow. It was like every single thing he did was a series of discreet movements and not one fluid process.

For example, I "tied my shoe".

My roommate didn't "tie his shoe". He pulled evenly on both laces until the criss-crossing over the top of his foot felt snug, then he crossed the laces, then he fed one lace under the other lace using the index finger of his right hand, then he pulled the two laces to make them tighter using the thumb and fore finger of each hand gripping the ends of each lace, then he used his left forefinger and his left thumb to make a loop, about three inches long, with the left lace, then he wrapped the lace on the right once around the base of this loop, then he fed a loop of right lace under the left lace using his right forefinger again, then he pulled, both loops until they tightened to be snug.

Then he started on the double knot.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 AM

The people you call slow are just doing what they do with care and caution instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off, bumping into everyone, going the wrong way, and causing the chaos that the 'slow' people have to clean up after. Unless they're slower than me, and then they're just idiots.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
The people you call slow are just doing what they do with care and caution
Nah, my roommate screwed things up most of the time.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
Sometimes when I catch up to people walking I will slow down to their pace rather than overtake, particularly if overtaking would mean I have to cut back across them quickly or do something else rude but some people walk so god-damned slow I almost fall over trying to match their pace...
I am the same way. It seems everyone I walk with goes way too slow for me.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Doing work stuff slow doesn't bother me so much, but slow walkers...ugh! I don't run around "like a chicken with my head cut off" () but I go at a brisk pace. I like to get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time, so that when I'm there, I have more time to do whatever it is I went there to do! The worst is when a group of four or five slow walkers all decide to walk abreast on the sidewalk, forcing me to slow down to a near halt while I decide if it's best to go around on the street side and walk over a snowbank/in a puddle/into traffic, or go building side and risk getting run into/slammed in the face when someone opens a door to the coffee shop and walks out.

If you're going to walk slow, don't talk up the whole damn sidewalk! Actually...just don't talk up the whole damn sidewalk regardless of speed. No more than two abreast, unless it's an exceptionally large sidewalk.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM

I walk at an easy gait, with confidence, and I am a little offended at being called a chihuaha! It is faster than many people, but honestly it is not really fast - I have seen many people walk faster than me. It is the people that plod I can't stand. I just like getting to where I am going.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM

My husband is really slow at things. Some of it is slow thinking. He'll be doing something and the next step only has 2 choice, one of which is impossible, and he'll still take forever thinking about it. Things that don't take thought he's not slow at.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The people you call slow are just doing what they do with care and caution instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off, bumping into everyone, going the wrong way, and causing the chaos that the 'slow' people have to clean up after. Unless they're slower than me, and then they're just idiots.
Egg-zackly.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM

My wife isn't quite what you are talking about, but she moves much slower than I do. She is the type of person who does a task well and then rechecks her work. That's great if you are writing a budget but she can't help doing the same for trivial tasks.

If I ask her if she wants a soda, there is this really long pause while she weighs her options, meanwhile I'm standing there with a coke in my outstretched hand waiting for her to decide.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Are these slow people big and/or heavy? Because I have noticed that it's the small, light people who are all the fastest ones (and this makes sense - they have less mass for their muscles to cart around.
In my experience, people who do things slowly are of all sizes. Short people or children may seem to walk slower, but they're taking more steps.
Slow walkers drive me nuts. I went to an amusement park with a group of people a few years ago, and we'd all agree we'd to go the *whatever* ride next. I'd start walking, and when I noticed I was alone, I'd crazy ivan back to walk with them. Repeat, repeat, repeat until we got to where we were going.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So my suggestion to you, OP, is to get the guy drafted.
Funny you should say that. An old employee who quit to join the army came in the other night. I chatted with him for a bit and we joked about how this slow guy would last about two seconds in the army.

Mostly I think it's laziness on slow guy's part. The other night we were deathly slow: $80 worth of buisness in three hours and most of that did not apply to him. He should have been done with his work at least an HOUR before he actually got done. I asked him what the hold-up was and he got an attitude and said I should help him. Um no, my job is to help you IF you need help, not to do your work for you so you can plod along at a snail's pace. Fortunately the boss agreed with me.

Last edited by stegon66; 12-17-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM

I had to change my physics minor in college. I could never finish a test in the allotted time. Talking with classmates, I discovered it took me double the time to do the homework problems. I'd even try "speed drills" reworking the homework problems. I'd shave a minute off. But still never finished a test.

Never could fix the problem I knew the physics theory and how to use the formulas. my math skills were good. I just seemed to take more time no matter what.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-17-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I walk at an easy gait, with confidence, and I am a little offended at being called a chihuaha!
If you walk at an easy gait, with confidence, then you are not a chihuahua.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM

My husband is slow. Actually, I would say he's deliberate. He does everything in a very deliberate way. He's also sort of daydreamy and seems to move along in a bit of a fog. According to his mom, he's been like that since he was a baby. He's smart, he does well at work (actually, he and another guy go back and forth being the top revenue generators), he has a quick sense of humor, and he has a bizarrely tuned spacial awareness. But he walks slowly, he types slowly, he does tasks slowly. It takes him a year to put away a load of laundry and doing the dishes seems like an all-evening affair. Without fail, if we're going somewhere, the whole family will be sitting in the car waiting for him to catch up to us. My oldest son is exactly like him, spaciness and everything.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
And that check story would have made me want to beat him with the checks. That's people's money! You do not mess with people's money.
How is it "messing with people's money" to not deposit a check? If they never deposit it, then great. But if it takes them 90 days to deposit it, you still have subtracted the amount from your balance, right?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
If you slow people would not stand several abreast when walking, stop at the end of escalators, and block grocery aisles, then maybe those of us who walk at a normal pace would not have to bump into you to get you to move out of the way.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
If you slow people would not stand several abreast when walking, stop at the end of escalators,
I just push them down the escalators so they get out of the way. Except it totally backfires when you try to push them down the up escalator because then they just fall forever.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:50 PM

I tend to move slowly in the winter because I'm sleep-deprived and the ground is icy. In the summer I tend to move slowly because it's fucking hot and I don't like to sweat. In the spring and fall I move slowly because I like to enjoy the beautiful weather. (Seriously. Not being facetious here)

But I work very quickly because I type, and think, extremely fast. I work in a call/fax claim center, and have to deliberately slow myself down so as not to exceed my 4 faxes per hour expectation, although my callers are off the phone in record time.

As an aside, I have a principle about entering exactly enough faxes because if I am too productive, that's one more employee my department will refuse to hire. We just rescinded a 2+ year hiring freeze in my department and I refuse to work harder than the minimum. Because assuming that I'll eventually move on from this place, it'd take 2 people to fill my shoes if I worked to capacity every day--they would never hire 2 people to replace 1 person and I don't want to burden my future former coworkers.

Plus, I'm just not passionate about the job. I, like Peter Gibbons, work hard enough not to get fired.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 12-17-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Ever shop at a Wal-Mart in El Paso or Las Cruces? You'll never experience real slow until you have.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Crankin' it up a notch. BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
My husband is slow. Actually, I would say he's deliberate. He does everything in a very deliberate way. He's also sort of daydreamy and seems to move along in a bit of a fog. According to his mom, he's been like that since he was a baby. He's smart, he does well at work (actually, he and another guy go back and forth being the top revenue generators), he has a quick sense of humor, and he has a bizarrely tuned spacial awareness. But he walks slowly, he types slowly, he does tasks slowly. It takes him a year to put away a load of laundry and doing the dishes seems like an all-evening affair. Without fail, if we're going somewhere, the whole family will be sitting in the car waiting for him to catch up to us. My oldest son is exactly like him, spaciness and everything.
I feel your pain! My husband is also slow. He takes forever to get ready in the morning. He takes forever to eat. He takes forever to do anything. I can do the dishes or clean the bathroom or <insert x> in 1/3 the time that it takes him. If we're having a conversation, there are times I will have to wait forever before he offers a response. I find that particularly sad because it's not like I'm Ms. Efficient myself. I'm a pretty low-energy person.

He's a smart guy and a very hard worker, but for some reason he's just... slow. Sometimes I watch him in the morning (when he's his slowest) and I think to myself, ''My god, if he's like this at 27, what will he be like when he's 80?''
Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 PM

My husband is quite slow at things; however, this is because he has an obscenely developed attention to detail. Seriously - when he does something it's perfect - it may take him a bit longer to finish, but it never has to be redone. He installed a garbage disposal for my mom and the wiring underneath was so pretty that my brother took pictures to use for future reference when he does things at home.

FWIW, hubby is an apprentice electrician and his job reviews always come back that he needs to work on improving his speed , but his work and attention to detail are impeccable. His employers love him - it's much easier to encourage someone to speed up a bit than it is to try to get a sloppy person to slow down and do things correctly.

Last edited by alice_in_wonderland; 12-17-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I'm just like that myself sometimes.

I can't really explain it. In some ways I'm very smart. I have a Ph.D. in physics, I'm a highly paid software engineer, etc. But sometimes my brain goes into "foggy" mode, and I just can't think very fast.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
How is it "messing with people's money" to not deposit a check? If they never deposit it, then great. But if it takes them 90 days to deposit it, you still have subtracted the amount from your balance, right?
I don't have a cheque book myself but I would think it would be annoying to think a cheque has been cashed only to find the money disappear from your account months later. People like to know how much money they have left so they can plan for monthly bills etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
I am the same way. It seems everyone I walk with goes way too slow for me.
This pisses me off so much, I once dropped to my knees and still managed to outpace the person I with. I was like "wtf is wrong with you? Are you disabled? Are you a mummy?Is this "Night Of The Living Dead"? Then PICK UP THE PACE, please!"

I mean, does brushing their teeth take 10 minutes, or do they just do a crappy job in the same 2 minutes most of use? Does it take them 10 minutes to make a PB&J sandwich? I don't do things inordinately fast, but some people are just SLOW.

When I find that someone I'm working with can't keep up with my walking pace as we move from job to job on a gig, I'll find someone else to work with. And if they ask, I'll tell them that no one wants to pay them to walk all day, they want to pay to see shit get done.

I swear, it's like some people grew up with no concept of "hustle".
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My husband is slow. [...] He's also sort of daydreamy and seems to move along in a bit of a fog. According to his mom, he's been like that since he was a baby.
My mum would probably say the same thing about me. I'm just a low-energy person - I have trouble generating a sense of urgency about things until the last minute, and so I run perpetually late. It's not that I don't care or don't want to do better, it's just that the spaciness takes over despite my best intentions.

I don't think I'm an unintelligent person, I just don't move quickly. Sorry guys.

Last edited by Eliahna; 12-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: bit slow on the coding
Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I swear, it's like some people grew up with no concept of "hustle".
Exactly. We could be getting our asses kicked at work and slow guy would....still......be.......moving........at......a......snail's..........pace....

Sometimes you just gotta pick up the pace a bit.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 PM

I don't like people who move slow. But people who are a lot quicker than me are disturbing too. Unfortunately, I'm a lot like Goldilocks when it comes to others' speed.

Quote:
You can't close a bank account if there are out-standing checks. I was annoyed to learn this when nearly three months later a check for $7 held up being able to close one
Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 AM

I walk quickly, but it takes deliberate effort to do anything else quickly. I think it's partially because I have a million things on my mind at once, all competing for attention, and it's easy for me to forget to focus on the task at hand, and and start thinking about/doing something else. This trait drove my mother crazy when I was young, but it quite likely lead to saving my father's life,* so she let it go.

*For anyone who cares how this happened - she was waiting for me to do something, while trying to rush me along, and the room we happened to be in, was situated just right for her to hear him weakly calling for help after he got trapped under the car he was working on. If we'd gone upstairs as quickly as she'd wanted us to, we'd never have heard him, and he would have been crushed.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not exactly; you subtract the amount from your balance assuming the money will come out of your account promptly, but if it doesn't, your bank balance is inaccurate for a longer than ideal period, and if you have happened to write cheques for similar amounts at the same time and only one clears, it's easy to miss that both haven't cleared. Cheques will also stale-date in six months to a year after they are written and are no longer valid. You may need to re-issue a cheque that you thought had already cleared your account if this happens, screwing up your systems and generating extra work. Basically, cheques should be cashed as soon as reasonably possible - holding onto them is a dick move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
My husband is quite slow at things; however, this is because he has an obscenely developed attention to detail. Seriously - when he does something it's perfect - it may take him a bit longer to finish, but it never has to be redone. He installed a garbage disposal for my mom and the wiring underneath was so pretty that my brother took pictures to use for future reference when he does things at home.

FWIW, hubby is an apprentice electrician and his job reviews always come back that he needs to work on improving his speed , but his work and attention to detail are impeccable. His employers love him - it's much easier to encourage someone to speed up a bit than it is to try to get a sloppy person to slow down and do things correctly.
I've heard this type of worker described as a piano builder (as in, "You're just putting in a light switch, not building a piano").
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 AM

I used to think it was people west of the Mississippi vs. people from the east, with the eastern people on full tilt speed and the western/midwestern/southwestern just more relaxed about things. I based this on the fact that in cities like Denver and Des Moines, I am one of the faster walkers, even though I'm not trying to go fast, but in NYC I'm going with the flow or getting passed myself.

This was bolstered by a person from the east in my dance class who once asked, apparently mistaking me for an easterner, if I didn't just find people who were native to the midwest just terribly slow--not mentally, but for instance if you asked a question. I said yes. Really fast.

But. I had a coworker. She was a copy editor on a newspaper I worked for, and she was very good, very detailed, didn't miss a thing. But there are times in the life of a newspaper when you have a deadline and you have to speed things up and just fly. She couldn't do that. And she grew up in NYC.

So there went that theory.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
BANNED

My husband is like that. He moves in slow motion and I'm sorry to say it is pure and simple LAZINESS. It drives me crazy. I on the other hand am early for everything.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

When it is really busy in our shopping mall, you can tell who are the people walking slowly. They have a few feet of people-free space in front of them. And impatient people behind them, of which they are usually unaware.

ETA : why older people drive slowly. (Cracked article, scroll down)

Last edited by Maastricht; 12-19-2010 at 11:59 AM..