Who is Quinn the Eskimo and why is he 'mighty'?

Celyn’s response in the Revolution thread reminded me of a question I wondered since I was a kid.

In the Manfred Mann song “The Mighty Quinn”, who is Quinn and why is everyone so happy to see this Eskimo? Is he the savior of a village? Is the song based on a real person, or is it something pointless out of the lyricist’s 60’s-addled brain? Or is it something we’ll never really know, as with Billy Joe MacAlister?

[sub]And yes, I searched the archives and the old threads first.[/sub]

Which would belong to Bobby Zimmerman, IIRC. . .

Manfred Mann has done a lot of cover songs.

“The Mighty Quin” is definitely a Bob Dylan song. In the liner notes for “Biograph” a big Dylan box set, he says that the song just a bit of nonsense that he threw together for fun. He never expected it to be a big hit. Don’t look for any messages in it.

And Dylan’s brain was never even lightly addled, you mean?:slight_smile: (Maybe screech-owl should have searched the old heads as well as the old threads.) Here

MightyQuinn

is one (of many) links to the lyrics, wherein we find that, although in verse one, “everybody’s gonna jump for joy”, in verse three, his impending arrival is not nearly so exciting

And pigeons really like him, for some unexplained reason. Oh, and the pigeons are going to run to him, not, as one might expect, fly.

Somebody must have read an explanation somewhere.

Well, of course “Quinn the Eskimo” is a reference to Anthony Quinn’s role as Inuk in the classic 1959 film The Savage Innocents, one of Quinn’s many ethnic roles. In the movie he was certainly a mighty hunter. As for the lyrics, probably not even Mr. Zimmerman can explain them completely. (And I always thought that line was “Everybody’s gonna want a dose.”)

No, no, no. Your all missing the point entirely.

"Come on without, come on within
You’ll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn"

Not see nothing like The Mighty Quinn? Isn’t that a double negative? So essentially doesn’t that mean that everything is like The Mighty Quinn?

On a side note, I have it on good authority that Quinn’s talent: Breakdancing.

Well, Colibri is clever because that at least explains (sort of ) the name Quinn, which never sounded very “Eskimo” (refusing to worry about Aleut or Inuit etc. right now). I hadn’t heard of the film at all.

As for “not see nothing”, it’s even possible that Quinn was blind, and saw nothing, whereas most people would not be in this position…? OK, you’re right - popular singer in bad grammar shock!

And why do the pigeons run happily along to the hunter?

I think it proves the drugs really were better in the '60s.

Pigeons - could be “birds”, eh? “Birds” or “chicks”? nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Or it could be the Mighty Quinn’s wearing a breadcrumb parka.

I actually vaguely remember having seen at least part of The Savage Innocents on TV many years ago. Although its mostly forgotten now, I believe it was a bit of a sensation in its day (due to some of its sexual themes) and Dylan may well have seen it and would certainly have been aware of it.

Not to dispute BobT, but even Dylan’s nonsense usually has some undercurrent of meaning. This may well be reading too much into the lyrics, but my interpretation is that “Quinn the Eskimo” is heroic because he is a man in tune with nature, in contrast to everybody else, who is obsessed with, yet disgusted by, modern civilization:

But because Quinn is a man of Nature:

so that

Dylan also indicates on the last verse that communing with nature is the solution to what ails you:

And the person Dylan will tell you to call to get in touch with nature is of course Quinn . . .

Like a lot of Dylan’s lyrics, this all hovers just on the edge of making some kind of sense, but it’s mixed with a good bit of nonsense.

Now let’s all try to work out an interpretion of All Along the Watchtower . . .

Sorry, a few corrections of the lyrics. As said by Lyrics world it’s:

and

Sorry to burst your bubble :stuck_out_tongue:

As some of you know from other threads, I’m one HUGE Dylan fan. (a big FAN of Dylan and a BIG fan of Dylan :slight_smile: )

I always took the song in its entirety. There are people going through the drudgery of life or just doing their jobs. Perhaps they are on alert, suspicious, whatever. When Quinn gets here, everybody can relax, celebrate, finally get some rest, whatever. This makes Quinn a bit of a saviour figure. Consider that this song comes on the edge of his Spiritual period and this seems to make more sense.

LaurAnge, note that that site gives the:

not necessarily as Dylan wrote them. And Celyn’s site gives the Grateful Dead’s version of the lyrics. These may be changed somewhat from Dylan’s original version.

spritle, would you be so kind as to enlighten us as to the lyrics as Dylan wrote/recorded them? Basically I agree with you, that the song has to be looked at in its entirety, and there’s no point in trying to interpret every line. The gist of it for me is that modern life makes us uptight, and that can be put right by getting back in touch with nature (symbolized by the eskimo).

“Come on without, come on within
You’ll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn”

This refers to the mighty Niall Quinn here in Ireland :smiley:

They were allways playing this song over here a few years back when the boys were actually qualifing for tournaments.

Maybe we can get it out in 2002 ? Not that Niall will be still playing, but hey!

Sorry to anybody who doesn’t have a clue what I’m talking about.

No prob. Here they are:

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/quinn.html

I also want to add a bit more info regarding this tune and my above comments.

The Mighty Quinn was released on the “Self Portrait” album June 8th, 1970. This was the same year that “New Morning” came out (Oct 21st, 1970). This is a bit important because it was during this time that he was exploring his spiritual side, being a bit torn between the Jewish/Christian thing.

It came a bit in the middle of his “Country Phase” (Nashville Skyline, JWH, etc.) from his introspection into the themes from those albums [my speculation here]. The songs on SP and NM are quite similar in that they address a simplistic lifestyle, sort of cutting ties with the mechanical world - listen to “Sign in the Window” (NM) with lyrics like:

Build me a cabin in Utah/Marry me a wife; catch rainbow trout/Have a bunch of kids that call me “Pa”/That must be what it’s all about/That must be what it’s all about

“Quinn” is a bit more upbeat in tempo than the other songs on the albums, and after the Highway61 and other “upbeat” and electric albums (which initially were met with scorn - but that’s another story) it seemed to have more staying power.

Bonus info: Dylan really hit the spiritual side in the early 80s on such albums as “Infidels” and others.

[sub]If anyone really wants to discuss Dylan in depth, buy me a couple of beers and we’ll go for hours. [/sub]:smiley:

Thanks, spritle, I should have remembered that. I bought Self Portrait when it first came out. I rather liked it, but many of my friends hated it (especially for “overproduced” stuff like “All the Tired Horses”). Somehow I had thought that “The Mighty Quinn” was much earlier. I’ll have to dig my vinyl copy out now (it’s not so easy to get at!). In any case, I think one of my acid-head friends at the time brought up the fact that “Quinn the Eskimo” was in reference Anthony Quinn.

LaurAnge, your quotes are what are known as “incorrections,” not “corrections.” :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Wow, I don’t know where the OP screech-owl is but I know I’m damned impressed with those answers. Many thanks, folks! And to think that nobody would have asked if it hadn’t been for Upham’s call to revolution.

Now there are some lyrics from the Incredible String Band that are less than totally clear…:slight_smile:

No problem at all, Colibri. Entering this thread and tossing a bit of knowledge is the least I could do, given that I was the one who originally posted the “Quinn the Eskimo” thing in Upham’s thread. (contrary to screech-owl’s OP statement.)

Next, we can discuss who Davey Moore was and the name of the person who killed him…

Ah yes, spritle, I am not being a noodge, but re-read my OP - 'Celyn’s response: you did bring up the original lyrics**, but Celyn was the one who originally posed the query of ‘what did the lyrics mean?’. I merely posted it to GQ in hopes that it would be explained at some point prior to the Revolution.

[And Celyn, I’m at work, but trying to catch this as much as possible! Your are correct - the answer are interesting and diverse.]

Your turn, spritle - open a new thread (rather than clogging up this one with two topics) about “Davey Moore”; never heard of him and why did he die?
**[sub]thank you very much I still can’t get the bleeping song out of my head grrrring but still smiling at you![/sub]

My ex-wife, a big Dylan freak, interpreted QtE as about cocaine. Get it?

Eskimo --> Snow --> Cocaine.

Everybody’s gonna jump for joy

Although I pointed out to her that Anthony Quinn had played an Eskimo in that 1959 movie, she had firmly decided that her own logic was watertight and unassailable.

screech-owl I think the Davey Moore reference was a joke, and might not need a new thread.

He was a boxer (World featherweight champion) who died of head injuries sustained in a boxing match with Sugar Ramos in 1963. (So sugar is definitely unhealthy.) Dylan wrote a song about him, as did Phil Ochs. Dylan’s song was entitled “Who Killed Davey Moore?”