The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Best way to keep eyeglasses clean?

Got new glasses in July and for some reason they are really hard to keep clean. Admittedly I have oily skin but it is more than that. Any suggestions on the best way to keep them clean? Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Dances, prances

How often are you washing them? I wash mine every morning, with soap and water and dry with a soft towel.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I use homemade Windex -- glass cleaner. 1/8 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup ammonia, water to make one quart in a spray bottle. Works just as well as Windex, but without the blue dye that accumulates in the cracks, and it's cheaper.

And I use disposable paper towels to dry. They may seem abrasive compared to cloth, but in over 20 years of wiping some of my glasses, there are no discernable scratches, and I can be sure that each time I am starting with a clean surface compared to a recycled rag.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

It's really hard to find a soap that doesn't have oily moisturizers in it these days. You can try a basic dish liquid.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM

I've always had good luck with the glasses cleaning solution and soft cloth provided to me by the optometrist's office. It seems to last a good long time. But I only clean my glasses about once a week.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Rubbing alcohol (no glycerin), 50%, tapwater 50%.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

91% rubbing alcohol, a little squirt on two spots on my underwear, grab those spots on my finger and thumb, grab the glasses between them, and rub a little. Then advance to dry spots and repeat. Then leave the underwear on my closet shelf to dry, and pull down the pair from yesterday to wear.

It would be a Bad Thing to reverse the glasses-then-wear order.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Be careful in using any sort of cleaner containing ammonia. Certain coatings react badly to this, and will fog up. Before I found out about this I thought I was getting glaucoma because things were getting so fuzzy. Turns out that the Windex I had been using had been gradually fogging up the anti-glare coating. Had to have the coating removed by an optician to salvage the glasses.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM

I am going to advise strongly AGAINST rubbing alcohol. It can cause stress fractures in your lenses and can compromise your frame, especially if it's plastic.

Here's how I clean mine: I lather my hands with Dawn dish detergent, then rub the lenses with my soapy hands. Rinse with warm, NOT HOT water, then dry with a soft cotton cloth, which has NOT been washed or dried with ANY type of fabric softener.

I have been working as a dispensing optician for 22 years. At my office, we use cloth diapers, but at home, I use a Starfiber cloth or clean hand towel.

Fabric softener is little more than wax, and actually makes your clothing "dirty".
Also, remember that paper (towels, tissues) is made of wood. If you're going to use paper, you might as well rub them with a stick. Plastic or polycarbonate lenses WILL scratch, and all the scratches will go in the same direction.

Another thing: don't wipe them with the shirt you're wearing. As you walk around all day, you pick up little bits of crud in the air, and then grind them into your lenses. Ammonia based cleaners can also erode the surface of the lenses.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I use this little thing called a swipes. It has two pads joined by a v-shaped piece of plastic. It gets my glasses cleaner than anything I have tried.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM

I find those little microfiber cloths work great to clean my (Transitions coated) lenses, but I'm with the OP - I'd like to clean them less often. It's become a running gag in our house: timed with a clock while doing nothing more than sitting and watching a movie, I need to wipe my glasses every 15 minutes. They get oily lines on them from my eyelashes, which pick up the oil, I suppose, from the area directly under my eyes (which doesn't feel or look particularly oily, but the oil must be coming from somewhere). I mean, yay for oily skin and no wrinkles, but boo for my glasses!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Creature of the Night

Don't use alcohol or ammonia, both can cause damage to your lenses and/or frames. I was going through new frames frequently until I learned this.

I use shampoo while I'm in the shower. If my glasses get dirty enough to need cleaning sometime later in the day, then I use some dish soap and wipe dry with a bandana or handkerchief (I carry a clean bandana or handkerchief every day).
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Usually, I just use a Kleenex, held between my thumb and middle finger, sandwiching the lens of my glasses. If they're too cruddy for that, I'll squirt a little bit of Dawn dish soap on my middle finger, wet my middle finger and thumb with warm water, and rub thoroughly with that. Then I dry with something non-linty.

The 'dry clean' happens five or six times a day; the 'wet clean' happens a couple of times a week.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Loads of great cleaning advice already so I'm going to go in a different direction. Stop touching them. Took me weeks to get this but it was the biggest change for me.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIHadACoolName View Post
I have been working as a dispensing optician for 22 years...

Also, remember that paper (towels, tissues) is made of wood. If you're going to use paper, you might as well rub them with a stick. Plastic or polycarbonate lenses WILL scratch, and all the scratches will go in the same direction.
Strange, I have poly lenses that have been cleaned at least twice a day for 10 years, and that would make...lessee, add the 3, carry the 1...over 7000 wipes, and not a scratch, even using a magnifying glass to see it.

So maybe not all paper towels are that bad? I only buy the cheapest anyway. Apparently rubbing with a stick is a pretty good idea.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for dish soap. Rubbed on with your fingers and rinsed off with water. Dry with something lint free. On a hot day, putting cold glasses back on feels nice to boot.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM

The best way to keep your glasses clean for a long time is to put them in their case and store the case in your bureau drawer. But that's not the goal of having glasses, is it?

I find microfiber cloth work great. I have a 12-year old bottle of "glasses cleaner" that came from the shop and I spritz a bit of that on the microfiber cloth and use it every day for a month. Then the cloth gets washed (and air dried) and then I put another little spritz of cleaner on it. It really, really works well.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
And I use disposable paper towels to dry. They may seem abrasive compared to cloth, but in over 20 years of wiping some of my glasses, there are no discernable scratches, and I can be sure that each time I am starting with a clean surface compared to a recycled rag.

I would strongly recommend against this. I would suspect that if you hold your glasses up to a bright light, you'd see hundreds of little very subtle scratches in the lens. Paper products will tear the lenses up.

If that's not the case, what sort of lenses are you talking about?

Anyway, rinsing with water and wiping with a dry cotton t-shirt works well for me.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 AM

One drop of dish washing liquid on each side of each lens. Rub briskly with thumb and forefinger to lather. Rinse off under running water. Shake off the water and put back on.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Go Browns!

Every morning I run mine under hot tap water. No soap.
Radio.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

After decades of cleaning my glasses with things that left streaks, I've discovered Leader Lens Wipes. I've got a container with 60 wipes in it that dispenses them like baby wipes (with a lid to keep them moist), and when they say streak-free cleaning, they actually mean it. They're perfectly moistened so they clean your glasses, but not so wet that they leave lines after the moisture dries. I've never been a fan of buying some product to clean glasses, but I LOVE these lens wipes.

ETA: I got them at my eye doctor's office.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 12-29-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM

I want to thank everyone for responding. I plan to go through everything as soon as I can and please keep it coming if anyone else has any ideas.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I would strongly recommend against this. I would suspect that if you hold your glasses up to a bright light, you'd see hundreds of little very subtle scratches in the lens. Paper products will tear the lenses up.
Apparently not all paper products do that. I do NOT have hundreds of little tiny scratches and I have examined the lenses with a loupe and a magnifying glass. I just held my glasses up to the bright sunlight, as I do daily, but see nothing like that. I am extremely sensitive to such marks and dust on the lenses.

I have seen other people's glasses with exactly the marks you describe. They are pretty obvious to me, but I have no idea how they clean or care for their lenses. For all I know, they use sandpaper or scouring powder.

Is it possible that the paper products you have come in contact with are of a different nature than mine? I'm not saying you are wrong -- there might be another reason why we feel differently about this topic. We might both be right, but generalizing to a fault.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
...and not a scratch, even using a magnifying glass to see it...
Hmmm. How about using another pair of glasses to see it?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Hmmm. How about using another pair of glasses to see it?
I don't need glasses to see close. I have perfect vision at that distance.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 AM

Did you get anti-glare coating? That stuff makes glasses get dirty super-quick, as I found to my annoyance, especially if your lashes are long enough to touch the glasses. The next pair I got was supposed to have an oleophobic layer to counter it, but it didn't work. Sadly I don't think there's any way to stop the problem, but I have like 4 of those little cloths and a couple of bottles of the spray they give you around. Quick spritz and wipe works great and I've just gotten used to doing it a lot.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridiana View Post
Did you get anti-glare coating? That stuff makes glasses get dirty super-quick. . .
I came here to say the same thing. I got the anti-glare coating on my previous set of glasses and was so annoyed with having to clean them constantly that I had the coating stripped off.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 AM

I've actually had quite good results with baby wipes. If I just clean them with my breath, I often end up with greasy streaks across the lenses. Baby wipes gets rid of them tout de suite. Just make sure you wipe 'em off with a cotton t-shirt afterward.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM

A dry terry cloth works pretty well for getting mine clean. It doesn't keep them clean though, so I have to do it 2x a day or so to keep them in good condition.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridiana View Post
Did you get anti-glare coating? That stuff makes glasses get dirty super-quick, as I found to my annoyance, especially if your lashes are long enough to touch the glasses. The next pair I got was supposed to have an oleophobic layer to counter it, but it didn't work. Sadly I don't think there's any way to stop the problem, but I have like 4 of those little cloths and a couple of bottles of the spray they give you around. Quick spritz and wipe works great and I've just gotten used to doing it a lot.
I do indeed have that coating. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post

If that's not the case, what sort of lenses are you talking about?

Anyway, rinsing with water and wiping with a dry cotton t-shirt works well for me.
Funny, the last time I went to an optician he cleaned my glasses with a spray bottle and dried them with a Kleenex. I asked him about scratching that way and he said, "Nonsense!"
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Are you sure it was a Kleenex? When I saw an optician cleaning glasses with what appeared to be a kleenex, I asked about that and she said it was a special cotton based disposable tissue/towel.

In fact I bought a pack of individual-wrapped moist cotton towelettes made for cleaning glasses and they work really well.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM

I breathe on them and then use the tail of my shirt. T-shirt if I'm not wearing a flannel shirt.

The only time I use any liquid is if I've been making a lot of sawdust and the glasses are dusty, then it's just hot water and my shirt tail.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

My experience is that over time Kleenex, paper towels and T-shirts will scratch even lenses with scratch-resistant coatings. Anti-glare coatings are not scratch-resistant, so these types of cleaning materials will make a mess of the lens surface in just a few months. Another problem with Kleenex and paper towels is that they leave lint behind.

Lens tissues are designed neither to scratch lens surfaces nor leave lint. I carry a microfiber cloth in my pocket along with a small spray bottle of lens cleaner. I got the cloth and cleaning fluid at Walgreens. Rather than use the rather large spray bottle it came in, I use a 2-ounce spray bottle I got at an arts supply store.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:43 AM

keeping them in a closed case is the best way to keep them clean.

run under a stream of cold water before other cleaning to rinse off abrasive dust particles.

paper, except lens tissue, is claimed to potentially be abrasive to plastics.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I breathe on them and then use the tail of my shirt. T-shirt if I'm not wearing a flannel shirt.

The only time I use any liquid is if I've been making a lot of sawdust and the glasses are dusty, then it's just hot water and my shirt tail.
That is how I kept my old glasses clean and it worked fine but for these new ones it doesn't. Evidence from this thread suggests the culprit is the anti glare coating.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
That is how I kept my old glasses clean and it worked fine but for these new ones it doesn't. Evidence from this thread suggests the culprit is the anti glare coating.
Yeah, same here. It always seemed kind of strange to me that I used to be able to clean my glasses with my shirt but as I got older it seemed my face became smudgier. I just now put it together that the anti-glare coating I adopted 10 years ago is what changed, not the smudginess of my face. heh.

I clean my glasses in the morning. Well, technically, I clean them any time I leave the house so it could be multiple times a day. I use paper towels and observe no scratches.

When I asked my glasses guy about whether a drop of Dawn would be harmful to the anti-glare coating he chuckled and said "No, but it's probably 500 times more cleaner than you need." heh. So what I do is keep a special glasses-cleaning bottle of Dawn. Next time you run finish a bottle of Dawn, fill it up with water and shake it. That's a months-long supply of glasses cleaner.

The actual cleaning goes like this:

- Rip a (half-sheet if possible) paper towel in half, squirt some cleaner on one of the halves
- Rinse glasses by running under faucet. (I use cold water, but I never thought about it.)
- Rub cleaner on wet glasses
- Rinse cleaner off
- Use other half of paper towel to dry, one swipe per side of lens (four swipes total) always with each swipe being in a single direction/motion

I don't know if I avoid the dreaded paper towel scratches by rinsing the lenses off as the first step or not rubbing back and forth or what, but so far I have. It's been years.

Note that the key ingredient is Dawn. It takes grease *squeak squeak* out of your way. hehheh.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 01-04-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Same problem here. I don't get why my glasses are getting smudged all the time. It's not like I ever touch the lenses with my fingers.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Definitely the coating. The first time I opted for the anti-glare coating, the optitian warned me about the problem and handed me a freebie cleaning kit. I found I had to clean the glasses at least once a day.