The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM
LurkerInNJ LurkerInNJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
She's tweeting that she is alive and well.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #52  
Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Okay, I take back some of what I said to Vinyl Turnip. Upon further Googling I did see some photos where Tawnee Stone could fairly be described as looking like a "twelve-year-old with tits."

But who is it really who would be attracted to her based on those photos? My understanding of pedophiles is that they would not be attracted to her specifically because of her adult figure. So I'm still going with youthful, fresh-faced prettiness being the source of her appeal rather than pedophilia (or for that matter, ephebophilia, since I believe ephebophiles are interested in pubescent girls without much development).

But again I suggest that men cannot be and should not be expected to avoid women like her simply because of their youthful appearance, and that women like her should not be expected to avoid men who are interested in them because of the supposed liklihood that those men are pedophiles.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-01-2011 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 AM
chorpler chorpler is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vegas, baby!
Posts: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
But who is it really who would be attracted to her based on those photos? My understanding of pedophiles is that they would not be attracted to her specifically because of her adult figure. So I'm still going with youthful, fresh-faced prettiness being the source of her appeal rather than pedophilia (or for that matter, ephebophilia, since I believe ephebophiles are interested in pubescent girls without much development).
I think people interested in pubescent children without much development are hebephiles, while people interested in older adolescents are ephebophiles.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
DrCube DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I think people interested in pubescent children without much development are hebephiles, while people interested in older adolescents are ephebophiles.
From the Wikipedia page on Ephebophilia:

Quote:
Because most late adolescents have physical characteristics near (or in other cases, identical) to that of full-grown adults, some level of sexual attraction to persons in the age group is common among adults of all sexual orientations.[6] The term ephebophilia is used only to describe the preference for mid-to-late adolescent sexual partners, not the mere presence of some level of sexual attraction.
I wouldn't date them, have sex with them, nor do I "prefer" them, but I was at the mall yesterday and there were quite a few pretty girls with gorgeous bodies who were probably in the 15-19 year old age range. Wikipedia says that thinking so does not make me an ephebophile, so I can now breathe a sigh of relief.

About the only physical difference I can see between high school girls and women above the age of consent is that younger girls usually weigh less, but that applies almost as much to women in their 20s too. I prefer slimmer women, so I often look at porn in the "teen" section. I used to feel slightly guilty about it but I know that most of those women are in their 20s (i.e. my age) and only get herded into the "teen" section because they're smaller or thinner.

Anyway, thought I'd let people know why some guys might look at "teen" porn and why that doesn't even make us ephebophiles, let alone pedophiles.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
six gun six gun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I picked up this story from a porn site forum.

The owner of website Tawnee Stone was on, Steve "Lightspeed" Jones, posted on a porn forum to say she had been killed in a car accident.

She was born in December 1982. She would have been killed the day before her birthday.

She paid her way through university at Arizona State by modelling on the Lightspeed websites which are based in Glendale.

She probably did join the company when she was 19 and was sold as "The 19-year-old Internet Sensation from Texas."

Her real name is well known and is Tammy Saris - this is why her stage name initials were TS. She was called Tawnee because of the color of her hair.

She packed porn in to be an accountant and still lives/d in Arizona.

The penalty for possession of ONE indecent photo of a child in Arizona is 10 years with NO chance of parole.

Tammy Saris was OVER 18 when she started modelling for Lightspeed or else Steve "Lightspeed" Jones would be inline for several million years in the State pen.

Tawnee Stone took Lightspeed into a higher league. She popularized the fresh faced girl next door look. She does not look like a 12-year-old. She looks like many young women at college.

Commenting on an earlier poster who said illegal models are rare on the net. They are rare. The media with all the pedo hysteria makes out there is illegal porn all over the place. Frankly this is simply hysteria and probably a tale they push to justify everything else the zealots get up to.

In the UK the Internet Web Foundation had a blacklist of illegal web addresses. The US equivalent is ASACP - the Association of Sites Advocating Child Protection.

There are about 500 url's on the IWF's current live sites blacklist. Some "authorities" make out there are over 100 000 illegal sites. This is crazy nonsense.

Illegal sites have a life of about 4 weeks and then they move to another domain. This is in order to stay one step ahead on the law. In the UK 98.5% of the Internet Service Providers block all the IWF blacklisted websites - so users couldn't get on these websites anyway.

The VAST majority of illegal images do not come from websites but are swapped through file sharing with software like Limewire and Kazaa. So if you hear of some guy with 1000's of illegal images - they will have come from file sharing. It is also quite possible outside the USA the images are not of underage individuals, as prosecutors do not have to prove the images are of underage in some countries (eg the UK) - they ask the jury what they think!

There is LOTS of stuff on porn sites which might look illegal (ie under 18). This is because there is an army of young adult models who look young. They are slim and fresh faced. Slim so the women they have small breasts and a boyish figure.
They might also put them in pig tails, have them look paler (not sure why this makes models look younger but it does), as well as give them toys, youngsters' make up and clothing.

There are so many adult models like this, there is no need for sites to run any risks by posting images of underage models. When adults can look or be made to look 13 or 14-years-old, who in their right mind would have photos of actual 13-year-olds?

Looking at the Cybertip.ca (Canadian hotline for reporting illegal content) 98.5% of illegal content pages has as its youngest looking child, someone who is under 11-years-old.

Illegal content and illegal sites have unmistakable children shown. If someone like young looking models there are billions of legal images out there.

The stuff that is really illegal, for the pedos, is unmistakably of children - the prepubescent under 11's.
Tawnee Stone was/is a million miles away from that.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Loach Loach is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Of course she isn't, but something about the authenticity of her appearance creeps me out, when I consider what (and whom) she's designed to appeal to.
Designed by who? God? DNA? That is how she looks/looked.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 19,873
It's been four days since the alleged incident occurred, and there has been no independent confirmation of her death. We only have one person's word for it, and he is as dodgy as they come, having apparently lied about things of this significance in the past just to get attention.

I remain doubtful.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM
six gun six gun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It's been four days since the alleged incident occurred, and there has been no independent confirmation of her death. We only have one person's word for it, and he is as dodgy as they come, having apparently lied about things of this significance in the past just to get attention.

I remain doubtful.
Yeah that is the view of many people now - Steve Shite-speed strikes again!
I hope so as from what I have seen she has started a new life and was doing alright thank-you very much.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
1. Make phony death announcement (but with plausible deniability) regarding long-time most popular Lightspeed girl Tawnee Stone on fan forums, with implication that site may be taken down soon.

2. Old fans plus new fans drawn in by publicity rush to buy Tawnee porn while the getting's still good.

3. Profit
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: <--- <--- <---
Posts: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Okay, I take back some of what I said to Vinyl Turnip. Upon further Googling I did see some photos where Tawnee Stone could fairly be described as looking like a "twelve-year-old with tits."
I couldn't help but picture her in someone's grimy wood-paneled basement where a hairy, heavily cologned man is cautioning her in a raspy voice not to tell her parents about her "portfolio shots" and preparing to ask a series of increasingly probing questions about her younger sister.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
1. Make phony death announcement (but with plausible deniability) regarding long-time most popular Lightspeed girl Tawnee Stone on fan forums, with implication that site may be taken down soon.

2. Old fans plus new fans drawn in by publicity rush to buy Tawnee porn while the getting's still good.

3. Profit
She hasn't made any porn in at least six years, maybe more. Her site is totally independent of her. Nobody has said anything would be taken down.

So how does your scenario make any sense?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
You haven't gone to the site linked in the OP have you?

Steve Jones (alias Steve Lightspeed), who owns the Lightspeed porn sites which include the Tawnee Stone site, posted the following on the OP linked porn-related message board:

Quote:
I just heard that our very own Tawnee Stone was in a fatal car accident and is no longer with us. It is a very sad day, she is one of a kind.

She has thousands of fans, and I will release more details as soon as I learn more. I will make a decision about what to do with her site in the very near future.

She will be dearly missed by all of us at Lightspeed. RIP Tawnee

Steve Lightspeed
Note that he says he'll make a decision about what to do with her site in the "very near" future.

According to what I've read online Tawnee (Tammy) only worked for a year or so around 2001 but still was Lightspeed's most popular girl from around 2001 to 2005. My belief is that Jones is trying to recapitalize upon the popularity Tawnee has shown in the past with a new generation of viewers, and that he is attempting to accomplish this for free by initiating a rumor that she has died.

Pretty clever scheme if true. He maintains plausible deniablity and is under no urgent pressure to take down her site, and then after "Profit" has been attained, he comes back and says much to his relief that the rumor was unfounded and her site will continue to be maintained.

That's how it looks to me anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I couldn't help but picture her in someone's grimy wood-paneled basement where a hairy, heavily cologned man is cautioning her in a raspy voice not to tell her parents about her "portfolio shots" and preparing to ask a series of increasingly probing questions about her younger sister.
I've done a fair amount of Googling since this question this issue came up and the reality, based upon information from people who knew her personally from school and so forth, is that she left home after graduating from high school (and without leavig a note for her parents about where she was going) and moved to Arizona, whereupon she answered an ad for nude models placed by the guy who runs the Lightspeed sites in order to pay for her education in accounting.

She worked only for the Lightspeed guy and only for a year or so, supposedly in order to pay for her degree in accounting - which she has done ever since and undoubtedly in the face of considerable offers for considerable amounts of money doing porn or traveling the club circuit around the country working as a stripper.

So I'd say she is a woman whose feet are planted firmly on the ground and one who's been calling all the major shots in her life since she graduated from high school. I don't know about you, but I admire her for sticking with her chosen career path instead of being sucked into the lucrative but often problematic life of a stripper or porn star.

And btw, if you'll watch some of the videos scattered around the net you might be surprised at how cheerful, uninhibited and unselfconscious she was. I don't really think you'll find any hairy guys with too much cologne involved in her shoots.

And now, lest I begin to appear just a little TOO interested in this subject, I think I'll bow out of the thread now.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
You haven't gone to the site linked in the OP have you?

Steve Jones (alias Steve Lightspeed), who owns the Lightspeed porn sites which include the Tawnee Stone site, posted the following on the OP linked porn-related message board:

Note that he says he'll make a decision about what to do with her site in the "very near" future.

According to what I've read online Tawnee (Tammy) only worked for a year or so around 2001 but still was Lightspeed's most popular girl from around 2001 to 2005. My belief is that Jones is trying to recapitalize upon the popularity Tawnee has shown in the past with a new generation of viewers, and that he is attempting to accomplish this for free by initiating a rumor that she has died.

Pretty clever scheme if true. He maintains plausible deniablity and is under no urgent pressure to take down her site, and then after "Profit" has been attained, he comes back and says much to his relief that the rumor was unfounded and her site will continue to be maintained.

That's how it looks to me anyway.
Let's work this out. The man makes a single post on an obscure porn forum about her death. His cunning plan is for that post to go viral so that within days, between major holidays - a tradionally dead time - the entire internet is so buzzing about a girl who stopped making porn around 2002 that the site will for some reason become red hot again.

But he makes sure to stop at one post. Because making two posts, well, that would defeat the entire purpose. One post is enough. That's how the internet works.

Genius!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I don't know what your problem is but you might want to Google "Did Tawnee Stone die?" see take a look at how widely and quickly the meme has spread and how many people are concerned about it.

And then take into account that Steve 'Lightspeed' doesn't have to pull in a ton of new subscribers to make plenty of cash.

Let's say that due to Tawnee Stone's newly discovered hotness and the traffic it drives to the "Lightspeed University" site, Steve Jones or whatever his name really is pulls in an average of 100 new subscribers from each of the fifty states (and remember he has lots of so-called cheerleaders and lots of hardcore porn under the Lightspeed University umbrella, and that even the smaller states have millions of residents) and that he charges around $30 per month for subscriptions to his cite. That's 5,000 new subscribers X $30 per month X 12 months in a year = $1,800,000 per year. All of which has sprouted from the little fib he told on an obscure porn forum over the holiday season.

So, who's your genius now?

Disclaimer: The numbers I just listed were pulled out completely out of thin air and are intended only to illustrate the fact that not many new members would be required for L.U. to turn a hefty profit. Lightspeed's actual numbers and the costs it incurs in operating (which I wouldn't think would amount to much more than bandwidth expense) may differ considerably.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-02-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Let's work this out. The man makes a single post on an obscure porn forum about her death. His cunning plan is for that post to go viral so that within days, between major holidays - a tradionally dead time - the entire internet is so buzzing about a girl who stopped making porn around 2002 that the site will for some reason become red hot again.

But he makes sure to stop at one post. Because making two posts, well, that would defeat the entire purpose. One post is enough. That's how the internet works.

Genius!
(Bolding added) I'd say that this is the best time to have posted this - people staying up late with no work the next day, surfing the internet. If he was concerned she had died, all he had to do was call her and ask, or look on her Facebook page, or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Cisco Cisco is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Let's work this out. The man makes a single post on an obscure porn forum about her death. His cunning plan is for that post to go viral so that within days, between major holidays - a tradionally dead time - the entire internet is so buzzing about a girl who stopped making porn around 2002 that the site will for some reason become red hot again.

But he makes sure to stop at one post. Because making two posts, well, that would defeat the entire purpose. One post is enough. That's how the internet works.

Genius!
The funny thing about this post is that you're being sarcastic, but it's pretty much all true.

Assuming she's alive.

Which it seems she probably is.

I've stumbled across this on a few different websites, without searching for it-- some of them bigger than this. I originally saw it on a forum many times larger than this one. I don't read porn industry forums.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 AM
even sven even sven is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
If I saw a headshot, I'd guess she was 14-15 and if you don't think the website is playing up on this, you are kidding yourself. If a guy happened to be a fan of hers, it wouldn't concern me too much. But if he was mostly interested in porn featuring girls like her, it'd ping my "creepy" meter.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Cisco Cisco is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
If I saw a headshot, I'd guess she was 14-15 and if you don't think the website is playing up on this, you are kidding yourself. If a guy happened to be a fan of hers, it wouldn't concern me too much. But if he was mostly interested in porn featuring girls like her, it'd ping my "creepy" meter.
I think you're sensationalizing quite a bit, but maybe since we are about the same age, I've never seen her as particularly young. Looking at her pictures now, I think I'd guess her to be about 20-22, which if I'm not mistaken is right about the age she was at the time. I stopped checking her out years ago (I guess because she stopped doing new stuff), and had actually forgotten about her when I saw the news of her "death."
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 19,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
If I saw a headshot, I'd guess she was 14-15 and if you don't think the website is playing up on this, you are kidding yourself.
As has been mentioned previously, playing up to youthful looks is nothing new to porn, but she has never been described as anything but over the age of consent, and she was.

This photo of her seems to be more recent, but you can see she still has a youthful appearance. She's cursed with it, I suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Let's work this out. The man makes a single post on an obscure porn forum about her death. His cunning plan is for that post to go viral so that within days, between major holidays - a tradionally dead time - the entire internet is so buzzing about a girl who stopped making porn around 2002 that the site will for some reason become red hot again.

But he makes sure to stop at one post. Because making two posts, well, that would defeat the entire purpose. One post is enough. That's how the internet works.

Genius!
And your version of events is?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 77,917
Moderating

I'm not really following this saga, but I've edited the thread title to reflect that she's apparently not dead.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
And your version of events is?
I don't have a version. I'm just saying that if this was a cunning plan, then it took movie luck, not real-world expectations, to have any of it come true.

Do you realize there is not one single hit on her death on Google News? And when I say her death, I mean anything at all about the controversy over whether she really died. Not one story about her, under Tawnee Stone or the supposed real name of Tammy Saris. Not one hit about Steve Lightspeed since an article or two about him battling pirates a few months ago.

If you want to drive up hits on your website, here's how NOT to go about it:

1) Make a single post on a forum.

2) Never respond to any other posts.

3) Never make announcements anywhere else.

4) Never send out a press release.

5) Ensure that Google News has no mention of you whatsoever.

I don't know anything about the real story other than this thread and the couple of links I clicked to from it. I have no speculation on whether the death is true or not.

My mind does boggle at the notion that this was a super-duper underground meme storm to drive traffic to a website. All Lightspeed had to do to make that work would be to post. And post again. And post again. And post all over. That might have worked tremendously. The actual scenario? That's nuts. The internet doesn't work that way. It never has. The only way you can make this scheme work is to apply the same "reasoning" processes that drive conspiracy theories. I don't believe in them and I don't believe in this.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
DigitalC DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

My mind does boggle at the notion that this was a super-duper underground meme storm to drive traffic to a website. All Lightspeed had to do to make that work would be to post. And post again. And post again. And post all over. That might have worked tremendously. The actual scenario? That's nuts. The internet doesn't work that way. It never has. The only way you can make this scheme work is to apply the same "reasoning" processes that drive conspiracy theories. I don't believe in them and I don't believe in this.
But that was exactly what it was! The guy can't continue posting without offering up some facts. Right now he can still say "i guess my sources lied to me/were mistaken", if he keeps talking that goes out the window. He is trying to make some more money out of his best girl by putting her name out there, it is really very simple and obvious and i really don't get why you think it is something else.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 9,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Do you realize there is not one single hit on her death on Google News?
Yes, I did know. When people started arguing about whether the story is real, I checked there.

But it doesn't prove anything. She's not exactly a star. Most people have never heard of her. Her supposed death, while tragic to her friends and family, would not be newsworthy. She wasn't exactly James Dean, was she? She doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. If she really is dead in a car crash, that's no more newsworthy that any of the other ~34,000 annual road deaths in the USA.

Would you argue that the late and much missed Q.E.D. is still alive, because you can't find any reports of his death in Google News?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Would you argue that the late and much missed Q.E.D. is still alive, because you can't find any reports of his death in Google News?
What point are you trying to make? It doesn't matter in the least whether the death is true or not. What matters is that something that is not newsworthy is not going to drive up sales on a website.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
even sven even sven is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
As has been mentioned previously, playing up to youthful looks is nothing new to porn, but she has never been described as anything but over the age of consent, and she was.
In pictures like this, I'm sorry, she looks like a kid. Her work plays this up with the whole "white cotton undies" thing. College girls don't wear white cotton undies and training bras. Middle schoolers do.

It's a different thing than the fakey pigtails-and-school-uniform obviously fantasy stuff, and I find it a bit creepier. If it's something you enjoy now and then, that's fine. But if it's your primary kink I find that a little bit on the line.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
DigitalC DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
What point are you trying to make? It doesn't matter in the least whether the death is true or not. What matters is that something that is not newsworthy is not going to drive up sales on a website.

When the website is entirely about her and hasn't had any new content in years the news of her death and possible shut down of the site will obviously drive up subs. It is very basic stuff, she was his most popular girl, she retired and now he is trying to think of a way to get more money out of her old stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
It's a different thing than the fakey pigtails-and-school-uniform obviously fantasy stuff, and I find it a bit creepier. If it's something you enjoy now and then, that's fine. But if it's your primary kink I find that a little bit on the line.
But isn't that your hangup? She worked for a site called Lightspeed University, implying that she was a college student. Her gimmick was that she was eternally 19 (which was apparently less a gimmick and more the fact that she only did porn for six months when she was 19). And aside from a youthful face, the rest of her DOES NOT look like a middle schooler in any way.

Your post almost reads like the porn hysteria syndrome where some people believe all porn is sinful and should be punished.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I don't have a version. I'm just saying that if this was a cunning plan, then it took movie luck, not real-world expectations, to have any of it come true.

...

If you want to drive up hits on your website, here's how NOT to go about it:

1) Make a single post on a forum.

2) Never respond to any other posts.

3) Never make announcements anywhere else.

4) Never send out a press release.

5) Ensure that Google News has no mention of you whatsoever.
Here's the recent Alexa traffic info on TawneeStone.com. His post was essentially free advertising, and took less effort than you or I have put into this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Spoke Spoke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Several of the posts in this thread sound like envious middle-aged women, whose real source of angst, I suspect, is that men are attracted to younger women.

And you know what? I can relate. The whole "cougar" cultural phenomenon sort of squicks me out. But when I stop and analyze why, it's really just a vague sort of envy that women my age are attracted to men younger than I.

In both cases, I suspect Darwinian imperatives are at work. We are naturally drawn to sexual partners most likely to produce healthy offspring, including (*gasp*) teenage women. In the case of porn, it's just harmless fantasy. IMO.

As for this whole faked death being a clever marketing scheme, that makes sense to me. And it is a scheme in which the SDMB is now passively complicit. I doubt many 'Dopers had heard of Tawnee Stone before this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Capitaine Zombie Capitaine Zombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Darn she's not dead? And me that was prepping up for my 3 days long necro-pedo wank marathon...
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 9,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
What point are you trying to make?
The point I'm making is that lack of any news story about her death does not mean the story is false.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: <--- <--- <---
Posts: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
Several of the posts in this thread sound like envious middle-aged women, whose real source of angst, I suspect, is that men are attracted to younger women.
Man, you nailed it. Why, just the other day I picked up a cowboy on a Manhattan streetcorner, took him home and gave him the time of his life, and he had the NERVE to ask ME for money! Can you IMAGINE?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
She doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.
It looks like she used to. Here's an article about her on ebay that appears to have been copied from a previous Wiki entry on her that no longer exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
My mind does boggle at the notion that this was a super-duper underground meme storm to drive traffic to a website.
Then you're merely boggling yourself. I very clearly illustrated upthread how a relatively small number of new subscribers can translate into considerable profit. I don't know why you seem to have such a burr under your blanket about this issue, but you're coming up with your own ridiculous meme and then acting like people are being ridiculous for believing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
What matters is that something that is not newsworthy is not going to drive up sales on a website.
Tawnee Stone is apparently very well known (and lusted after) in porn circles and I don't find it the least bit incredible that a rumor of her death would spread like wildfire within that community, with considerable bleed-over into other areas of the population where she isn't known - such as here for example, where this thread alone, with it's 6,000+ page views, has resulted in hundreds if not thousands of people (after accounting for repeat views) who know about her now but didn't before. Multiply that by thousands of message boards and Google/Bing searches, and a very profitable amount of new or revived interest in her is easy to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
I don't believe in them and I don't believe in this.
Perhaps it has it escaped your attention that no one has asked you to. You can believe what you want.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
I knew that you were going to return to this thread, Starving Artist. You know how I knew? Because you said you were bowing out. There is no more infallible predictor of someone's return to a thread than their declaration they that are leaving it.

I don't know why this is. I know I don't behave this way, but I seem to be the only one.

But peoples' behaviors on the internet are weirdly predictable. For example, take this extremely common sequence. Something happens. Someone ascribes a reason for that happening. There will be no proof, no evidence, no backup, no follow-up. But it instantly becomes "truth."

And the one thing those people hate more than anything in the world? That someone else comes along and points out that there is no proof, no evidence, no backup, and no follow-up.

Why should that be? I don't know. But it's infallible. It's the basis for urban legends, for word origin stories, for conspiracy theories, for all the junk and glurge on the internet.

And now I'm a part of that. Thank you for giving me this piece of internet immortality.

*sniff* I think I'm getting all misty, Dobe.*

* Maynard G. Krebs, 1959. The G stands for Walter.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Hijack ahead (Don't know a better way to go about this)

Starving Artist, I want to tell you that I am being sincere in asking this question, and mean NO offense or snark towards you.

I think that you often get a bad wrap here at SDMB, mostly for your oft-stated contention that American society as a whole has gone downhill a lot in the past 3 or 4 decades, at least in part due to the overall coarseness of modern day film, music, TV, and entertainment in general. As someone who taught in a public high school for several years, and who is not too far removed from being a high school student myself, I tend to think that you have a valid point. (for example, I am FAR from a prude but it's hard for me to believe the things that I can see on primetime network TV, and I have a tough time believing that at least some of the negative media influences that we are bombarded with do not effect the behavior of some of those who view it.)

That said, you clearly know plenty about hard-core pornography, and from what you have written in this thread, you don't seem to have a problem with it.

I guess that I thought that you would be a full on "Porno is poison for the soul" kind of guy, but apparently you don't feel that way.

Do I have your position on the decay of American society being largely tied to vulgar, obscene and/or violent TV, movies and music all wrong?

It seems to be a bit of a disconnect to decry rap music (which I can't personally stand myself) but be OK with hardcore porn (which I have no problem with) and I wonder if you wouldn't mind explaining how you actually feel. (maybe for you it's all a matter of who it is marketed towards/targeted at, which would make sense)

Sorry for any hijack and if Starving Artist wants to answer my question in private by PM, (if at all) that would be just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I knew that you were going to return to this thread, Starving Artist. You know how I knew? Because you said you were bowing out. There is no more infallible predictor of someone's return to a thread than their declaration they that are leaving it.
Well, at the point where I said I was bowing out, it was with the idea in mind that to post more on the subject of Tawnee Stone's age vs. the legitimacy of her sex appeal might give some people the wrong idea. You had not yet come in and basically essentially called my assessment of Steve Jones' motives and goals idiotic.

Plus you were wrong about nobody having said anything about closing down her cite, and, well, this place is at least tangentially dedicated to fighting ignorance, so I felt compelled to show you where you were wrong.

As to your analysis of what other people can be counted on to do on the internet you are certainly free to decide whatever you like.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-03-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Rick Rick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,669
I have looked at a number of the LIQ's* photos. She is made up to look like the girl next door (assuming you have excellent taste in neighbors). this is a fairly popular genre of porn.
Her apparent age in photos? To me in a few as young as say 16-17, in most 18-22, in a few 23-24.
If I were a bartender would I card her before selling her a drink? Yes. Would I be shocked or suspect a fake ID if it showed her legal? No. some people look younger than their age.
True story, for my second wedding anniversary some friends took us out to dinner. We ordered drinks. The waitress turned to my wife and asked for her ID. The funny part was my wife was 27 and the oldest person at the table that day (12 total) so you can't go by looks alone.
Now I had a thought about this. What if "Tawnee" wanted that part of her life over, and struck a deal with the owner of Lightspeed U to spread a rumor that she was an ex porn star, pining for the fjords and all that. Or maybe LU's license is expiring and she is not in the mood to re sign for a new term.
In either case a Tawnee is dead rumor builds traffic and gets LU a nice nest egg to start the year with.
Just a thought.



*Lady In Question
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Sorry for any hijack and if Starving Artist wants to answer my question in private by PM, (if at all) that would be just fine.
I don't mind answering you here at all.

First of all, I disagree that I've said anything in this thread that would indicate that I "know plenty" about hardcore pornography. Everything I've said here could be discovered with a little curiosity and thirty or forty-five minutes of surfing with Google. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it. )

With regard to my assessment of the entertainment media and it's effect upon society, I think it's both a symptom of the problem and a part of the problem. It's a symptom because the wheels that were set in motion by the counter-culture revolution have led inexorably toward its becoming what it is, and it's a part of the problem because it promotes and creates more of the negative influences upon society that led to its existence in the first place.

And with regard to pornography and vulgar language, basically my position is that if people (including me) want to indulge the baser elements of their nature behind closed doors, I have no problem with it. But I don't think they should feel free or be free to impose those indulgences upon everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
P.S. - I hope that answers your question. I'm having a fairly busy night and may not have gone into enough detail. If not, let me know and I'll answer accordingly.

And thanks for your support regarding my comments on society. It's nice to know I'm not a lone voice crying out into the wilderness after all.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I think people interested in pubescent children without much development are hebephiles, while people interested in older adolescents are ephebophiles.
Oh, yeah, I meant to acknowledge this but forgot in the heat of Googling and the passage of time. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-04-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
It seems to be a bit of a disconnect to decry rap music (which I can't personally stand myself) but be OK with hardcore porn (which I have no problem with) and I wonder if you wouldn't mind explaining how you actually feel. (maybe for you it's all a matter of who it is marketed towards/targeted at, which would make sense).
Sorry, I don't think I answered this, or at least not specifically, but yeah, you pretty much nailed it. The difference to me is that rap is marketed to (and inescapable by) society at large, whereas hardcore porn has to be sought out by people who are interested in it and watched in private.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I'm not really following this saga, but I've edited the thread title to reflect that she's apparently not dead.
You mean she got better?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Thank God for Exapno Mapcase. Even when he's dead wrong and won't admit it, he shows us all how to be.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 23,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Thank God for Exapno Mapcase. Even when he's dead wrong and won't admit it, he shows us all how to be.
Oh, good. Now I know we're in a Conspiracy Theory thread.

Here's the claim that I've been responding to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
1. Make phony death announcement (but with plausible deniability) regarding long-time most popular Lightspeed girl Tawnee Stone on fan forums, with implication that site may be taken down soon.

2. Old fans plus new fans drawn in by publicity rush to buy Tawnee porn while the getting's still good.

3. Profit
And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
It's beginning to look like a marketing hoax by the guy who runs Lightspeed. A little Googling reveals her real name to be Tammy Saris. She has a Facebook page here and has apparently just set up a Twitter account to say she is alive and well.
What is the evidence for any of this?

Is the death phony? What evidence do we have that it is not? Yes, there is a twitter page with one post. What evidence do we have that Tawnee Stone put up that page? Actually, the page is from "Tammy Sarris". That is what some anonymous posters have said is her real name. What evidence do we have for that? What is the evidence that Tawnee Stone under any name is alive today or died in a car crash or, for that matter, died a year ago?

What is the evidence that this is a "marketing hoax"? What is the evidence that the site would be taken down soon? The actual quote is "I will make a decision about what to do with her site in the very near future." Taking it down is one possibility. So is leaving it up. So is doubling it in size. So is adding many additional sites. Why is one of these possibilities being singled out? What is the evidence that backs up that choice over the rest?

As in all Conspiracy Threads, the onus is on those making the conspiracy claims to provide evidence. Since I'm "dead wrong" it should be very easy for you to do so. Just like all the birthers and truthers and moon hoaxers have no difficulty providing tons of evidence for their sides, which convince so many people here.

Your turn.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Sorry, I don't think I answered this, or at least not specifically, but yeah, you pretty much nailed it. The difference to me is that rap is marketed to (and inescapable by) society at large, whereas hardcore porn has to be sought out by people who are interested in it and watched in private.
Thank you, and I do want you to know that I was sincere---I have no problem with porn (as the consumer almost always has to search it out on their own) but I agree that a lot of mainstream entertainment (that 6 year-olds can easily stumble upon by accident) is at the root of some of societies most serious problems.

I am still blown away with the language and dialogue that is broadcast nightly on network television.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
As in all Conspiracy Threads, the onus is on those making the conspiracy claims to provide evidence. Since I'm "dead wrong" it should be very easy for you to do so. Just like all the birthers and truthers and moon hoaxers have no difficulty providing tons of evidence for their sides, which convince so many people here.
Look at the Alexa stats someone posted upthread. After that single post from the Lightspeed site owner, the traffic for TawneeStone.com went through the roof. Who knows whether she's actually dead or not, but the traffic spike that "news" of her death would produce is very real and very obvious to a long-time site runner like Lightspeed.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Cisco Cisco is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Oh, good. Now I know we're in a Conspiracy Theory thread.

Here's the claim that I've been responding to:

And:


What is the evidence for any of this?

Is the death phony? What evidence do we have that it is not? Yes, there is a twitter page with one post. What evidence do we have that Tawnee Stone put up that page? Actually, the page is from "Tammy Sarris". That is what some anonymous posters have said is her real name. What evidence do we have for that? What is the evidence that Tawnee Stone under any name is alive today or died in a car crash or, for that matter, died a year ago?

What is the evidence that this is a "marketing hoax"? What is the evidence that the site would be taken down soon? The actual quote is "I will make a decision about what to do with her site in the very near future." Taking it down is one possibility. So is leaving it up. So is doubling it in size. So is adding many additional sites. Why is one of these possibilities being singled out? What is the evidence that backs up that choice over the rest?

As in all Conspiracy Threads, the onus is on those making the conspiracy claims to provide evidence. Since I'm "dead wrong" it should be very easy for you to do so. Just like all the birthers and truthers and moon hoaxers have no difficulty providing tons of evidence for their sides, which convince so many people here.

Your turn.
Proof? None. Evidence? Plenty.

-No news articles of her death (ok, internet porn star, but lesser "celebs" have gotten death notices)
-People on other websites have searched for auto fatalities around here on the day she was supposed to have died, and found none that could have been her.
-Steve Lightspeed is apparently well-known for these kinds of antics
-Her web traffic has increased (shown by a link in this thread) (evidence of the conspiracy, not that her heart is beating)

I actually agree that the Twitter page smells fake as hell, however.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
LurkerInNJ LurkerInNJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Is the death phony? What evidence do we have that it is not? Yes, there is a twitter page with one post. What evidence do we have that Tawnee Stone put up that page? Actually, the page is from "Tammy Sarris". That is what some anonymous posters have said is her real name. What evidence do we have for that? What is the evidence that Tawnee Stone under any name is alive today or died in a car crash or, for that matter, died a year ago?
Well ... she is on Facebook with a current pic. Her hair is longer, she's (fully) dressed in casual attire, and overall looks age appropriate (early to mid 20's). Since all her ASU friends are not weeping over her death, I vote for alive and kicking.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.