Covers of Songs That Radically -- And Successfully -- Re-interpreted the Work

If this were a TV trope, I would say the Trope Namer would be Rotary Connection’s version of the Aretha Franklin hit “Respect.” It’s very different from Frankln’s version, but it’s still a powerful and interesting work, only in part because of Minnie Ripperton’s soaring vocals.

Also, Emerson Lake and Palmer’s synthesized version of the “Peter Gunn” theme which would work more for Johnny Mnemonic than the original 60s private eye. (Can’t find a decent link for it on Youtube, I got it off Itunes for a buck though).

Of course, lots of works get covers, what distinguishes the covers I am thinking of is that they alter the work so profoundly in some way that it almost might as well be a completely different song. Your favorite musician has surely covered songs, but did their covers radically reinvent the song and was it successful?

Sinead O’Connor’s 90’s hit “Nothing Compares 2 U” is actually a cover of a Prince song (not a single, just album fodder).

I’ve heard the Prince version once - it’s…boppy is probably the best way to describe it. Sinead’s version blows it out of the water.

How about “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by Devo? Turns the Stones version on its head.

It was a song Prince wrote, but the original recording was by The Family. His cover (of, er, his own song) was released after Sinead’s.

The OP mentions ‘Respect’, and Aretha’s hit version is famed for being a reinterpretation of the original.

Don’t know if giving the song a reggae beat and a solo on the Uilleann pipes is radical enough, if so here’s Kate Bush’s reinterpetation of Elton John’s Rocket Man.

If that is not radical enough, here’s the J. Davis Trio’s very radical re-working of Kate’s song There Goes A Tenner.

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow is pretty different from the original, and very popular.

Kylie Minogue’s Can’t Get You Out of My Head.

The Flaming Lips’ cover of same.

Iron Man by Black Sabbath

Iron Man by the Cardigans

Okay, last one:

Straight Outta Compton, by NWA

And then Nina Gordon folks the whole thing up.

There’s a near-endless array of “white dudes covering hiphop songs as ballads” out there, but for my money, the best is Jonathan Coulton’s “Baby Got Back.” It’s one of the few that seems genuinely respectful and affectionate for the original (rather than playing up the contrast for yuks or giving a white singer the chance to “edgily” say the N-word). Plus the actual message in “Baby Got Back” actually lends itself nicely to a folky take.

Unless you’re old like me, you probably haven’t had the experience of hearing Bob Dylan’s version of All Along The Watchtower first, and then hearing the Jimi Hendrix version. I loved Dylan’s version, but the first time I heard Jimi’s, I got goose-bumps. To me this is the ultimate radical, successful cover.

All Along the Watchtower is one of those ‘endlessly reinterpreted’ songs. You’ve got to throw in versions by U2 and Dave Matthews, too.

For me, a reinterpretation should present a new angle on the song. Something that was there but unnoticed. To that end I’ll nominate Dolly Parton’s covers of Collective Soul’s ‘Shine’ and Led Zeppelin’s ‘Stairway to Heaven’. She turns both songs into a much more religious feel. Both could easily be sung in church the way she puts them together and make God and heaven the center of meaning.

Two of my favorite cover songs

While my Keytar Gently Weeps by Lemon Demon

and

while the Scissor Sisters did a helluva job with Comfortably Numb, I think Dar Williams and Ani Difranco did it better.

And now for something completely different: Streisand’s torchy “Happy Days Are Here Again.”

I liked Deep Purple’s cover of the Beatles’ “Help”, which is a pretty radical departure from the original.

Lots of classic bebop artists took standards and played new melodies over the chord progressions. (Charllie Parker’s “Donna Lee” was based on “Back Home in Indiana”.) There were instances where they didn’t quite go far enough to declare the result a new song, but the interpretation was pretty damn different. One good example was “Embraceable You” by Miles Davis and Charlie Parker (sorry, can’t find the particular version online).

First song in my head was the Cowboy Junkies’ Sweet Jane.

Gary Jules version of “Mad World” is incredible. And Judas Priest’s version of the Joan Baez song “Diamonds and Rust” is a really cool interpretation (ETA: the slow version, their speedy version is a little weird).

Eric Clapton’s Layla covered later by Eric Clapton.

Kiss - Shock Me
Red House Painters - Shock Me

Don’t forget that Aretha herself had taken Respect from Otis Redding (his version is essentially a demand for sex) and turned into the quintessential female empowerment anthem of its time.