The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM

What happens if you can't pay a toll at a public tollbooth?

I've driven long distances and passed many toll booths in several US states. Nearly all of these places take USD cash and "EZPass".

What happens if a person ends up at one of these booths and can't pay? Assume good faith here - suppose the person thought that they had more cash than they actually did, they believed that the tollbooth would take credit cards, Canadian currency, checks, or something else that they DO have, they didn't know that the toll would be so high, or they honestly had no idea that there was going to be a tollbooth.

Possibilities I can think of:

1) They are arrested.
2) Their information is taken down and they are served a whopping fine notice/ticket, but permitted to proceed.
3) They are denied passage through the tollbooth and forced to turn around.
4) They are forced to turn around, and given a fine/ticket.
5) The driver has to work at the tollbooth at minimum wage until they earn enough to pay the toll (unlikely).
6) The authorities search the vehicle and driver and seize enough property (e.g. jewelry) to equal the value of the toll.

My WAG is that it is either #2 or #3, or possibly either depending on the jurisdiction or specific tollbooth policy.

Last edited by robert_columbia; 01-06-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

This happened to me once in Boston and once in Oklahoma.

In Boston I was in a rental car, which did not have the electronic transponder my regular car did. The toll-taker glared at me, but that was it.

In Oklahoma it was an unmanned booth and I did not have enough change. I drove through it. Nothing happened.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM

In Illinois, at the automated booths, photos are automatically taken of the plate/car. If you don't call IDOT within a week to settle up, they send you a ticket - correction: IDOT website says you get 3 freebies before a ticket. I assume that a manned tollbooth would involve taking your info and sending the violation if you don't pay.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 01-06-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM

#2, minus the fine part. They give you a pay-later ticket that you mail in. At the bottom, it says basically "If you don't pay this in X days, you'll be fined." If you've lost your ticket, and that's why you can't pay, you pay the full rate.

ETA: I accidentally ran a toll booth when the battery died on my EZPass. They mailed me a ticket, which I contested under option #1 ("Malfunctioning EZ Pass") and it was waived off and I paid the $8 toll that I legitimately owed. It was top of the list, so it must be common.

Last edited by Chessic Sense; 01-06-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM

This happened to me in the Chicago area, where most of the tollbooths had operators to make change, except for the one on the off-ramp, which only accepted coins. I threw in what change I had and drove through. They have a way to go online and pay them their 85 cents or whatever it was, which I did when I got home. I'm not convinced that anything would have happened if I hadn't done this, but I wanted to be safe.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

In Atlanta, our toll road only costs fifty cents. If you drive through without paying, they send you a bill for $25.50, fifty cents for the toll and $25 for the fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia
What happens if you can't pay a toll at a public tollbooth?
In NJ at least, the mob comes after you.
</rimshot>

I can tell you that in New Jersey, most toll booths* will take a picture of the car/rear license plate as you drive through then sends a $25 (c. 2009, may have gone up since) ticket to the registered owner of that car.

For rental cars, obviously that would be Enterprise or Budget or whomever. I know I've signed rental agreements where they promise to bill you if you get a ticket that ends up going to the rental agency instead.

Interestingly, all of that being said it seems that NJ is still losing a fair amount in various toll evasion schemes.

* I mostly mean "manned" toll booths here, in the sense that one or more of the toll lanes in that particular plaza will have someone in it. EZ Pass is very prevalent in NJ, so the lane you're currently driving through using EZ Pass probably doesn't have someone. That being said, there are some completely-un-manned toll booths, mostly off the more remote or less-used portions of the Parkway and Atlantic City Expressway.

Last edited by Celidin; 01-06-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Some years ago, Tom & Ray on Car Talk decided to have some fun with a caller who ran a toll gate. In the middle of all the madcap hijinks, there was a nugget of information that you're supposed to tell the toll booth attendent (or go to the office if there's one attached to the toll plaza) and they'll give you a form to fill out.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
In Illinois, at the automated booths, photos are automatically taken of the plate/car. If you don't call IDOT within a week to settle up, they send you a ticket - correction: IDOT website says you get 3 freebies before a ticket. I assume that a manned tollbooth would involve taking your info and sending the violation if you don't pay.
Technically, it's the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, not the Illinois Department of Transportation -- they're two separate and independent agencies. ITSHA is responsible for the tollways; IDOT is responsible for the non-toll roads.

ISTHA entry on Wikipedia
Illinois Tollway website
IDOT entry on Wikipedia
IDOT website

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-06-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

In Ontario, the one toll road has no toll booths. At each entrance and exit, you drive under a frame at speed. If you have a transponder, the system logs you on and off and adds the charge to your account. If you have no transponder, it takes a picture of the rear licence plate and adds the charge to your account. If it's never seen your plate before, it creates a new account. Bills go to the registered owner of the car.

Either way, you get a bill in the mail. The highway's billing system is connected to the Ministry of Transport's licencing records and the Ministry will deny you plate renewal if you don't pay the bill. This is very controversial, because the tolls are expensive (18.5c/km!), it's something of a sweetheart deal for the corporation that owns the road (courtesy of a prevoius government), and even the government says it can't get out of the deal (I'm not sure I believe that; after all, you make the laws!).

Rental car? The toll gets added to your bill. And eventually is charged to the card that rented the car, after the rental company is billed by the highway company. And I suspect they add a hefty surcharge.

Out-of-province plate? The highway corporation has cross-billing agreements with neighbouring states and provinces. I'm not sure what happens if you drive with a plate that is not covered by this cross-billing agreement. And the highway's own website is not clear about what states and provinces are covered. I've seen cars with Mexican plates in Toronto; would they be covered?

Last edited by Sunspace; 01-06-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM

I've run into this at least 3 times. They had a form, took down my license plate number and drivers license number. In one case in MA they gave me an envelope addressed to the state and an explanation to send in something like $10 to cover the toll of something like $5. In one case I was given a slip of paper with a number to call, called it, and they had no record of the incident and told me to forget about it. I was surprised in these cases because they had no means of accepting a credit card for payment.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
In Ontario, the one toll road has no toll booths. At each entrance and exit, you drive under a frame at speed. If you have a transponder, the system logs you on and off and adds the charge to your account. If you have no transponder, it takes a picture of the rear licence plate and adds the charge to your account. If it's never seen your plate before, it creates a new account. Bills go to the registered owner of the car.
Ah, yes, the 407. It should be pointed out that without a transponder, not only do you get a new account created, you're charged a video monitoring fee each time you enter the roadway, in addition to the toll. The first time I used it to try to find my hotel, I racked up over $40 in charges (damn, it's west, not east, get off, get on, etc.).
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

On the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the toll-taker gives you a form to fill out to send in with the toll. I don't think you're fined unless you "forget" to send it back. If you exit in an EZ-Pass lane, they just mail the form to you. The Turnpike toll plazas have cameras that take photos of license plates, so the Turnpike Commission knows where to send stuff.

Last edited by MsRobyn; 01-06-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Ah, yes, the 407. It should be pointed out that without a transponder, not only do you get a new account created, you're charged a video monitoring fee each time you enter the roadway, in addition to the toll. The first time I used it to try to find my hotel, I racked up over $40 in charges (damn, it's west, not east, get off, get on, etc.).
And the video monitoring fee is $3.60. Each time. It would make more sense to get a transponder, except that then they'd charge me $2/month whether I used it or not. As it is, I only pay the $2 account fee during months in which I use the highway. I no longer live in the GTA, and I might use the 407 three or four times per year during visits.

I've been poking around on the 407 site. You can sign up for a transponder, and the form has a field for 'select your licence plate jurisdiction'. All 13 Canadian provinces and territories are represented, as well as 53 US jurisdictions (the fifty states, plus DC, Guam, and American Samoa). I've never seen a Guamian (?) plate, but I have seen Hawaiian plates on vehicles in Toronto. (They were U-Haul rental trucks. Go figure.) If they don't have billing arrangements with all those jurisdictions, they certainly want to give the impression that they do.

(And I still want to see what happens if a car with Mexican plates drives on the 407. The page describing tolls states in red letters, "...a $50.00 FLAT TOLL CHARGE PER TRIP is billed to any light vehicles without a transponder whose rear licence plate is not visible to, or recognizable by our toll system.". If there's no transponder and they can't read the licence plate, how would they know?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM

I am more interested in the following. I drive to NYC a couple times a year. Since I have no US address I cannot get an E-Z-Pass. Technically, I could from some commission that runs a bridge around Buffalo, but they say they will take it away unless you use the bridge regularly and I have no intention of ever using it. There is a sign when you come south on the Palisades that there are no toll-takers for the upper level of the GW bridge and you are supposed to leave the Parkway and drive through heavy traffic and then are stuck on the lower level of the bridge. I have wondered what would happen, with my Quebec plate, if I just drove through. Anybody know? I'd be happy to get a pass, especially from Mass (I also go to Boston regularly) since they charge no maintenance fee.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm just looking over their FAQ. Apparently, E-Z Pass and the 407 use the same transponder technology, but there are no agreements to let one use the other. Seems like that would be a good marketing thing for the 407. I don't see anything that speaks of minimum bridge usage on the Peace Bridge Authority E-Z Pass site, but Canadians can get E-Z Pass transponders there. I googled E-Z-pass, and got some of the other agencies, and when I select "Canada" for a jurisdiction, they redirect me to the Peace Bridge Authority site.

Last edited by Sunspace; 01-06-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

The bridges and tunnels within New York City (such as the Battery Tunnel and Verrazano Bridge, not the NJ border crossings) have gates on them, and will not lift until the toll is paid. This applies to both the EZPass and the manned lanes.

A few times I reached the EZPass machine, not realizing that my EZPass account was empty. The gate would not come up until the policeman came over and I paid cash. There was no extra fine, but it was a real pain. I have no idea what would happen if I didn't have enough cash on me.

By the way, the gate is at windshield height, so I don't think it would be very smart to just try to drive straight through.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Here's the beginning of the application. Select Canada. An application form opens, complete with fine print. You can select QC as your state/province of origin.

Did they tell you that there's a minimum bridge usaqe? I can't see anything about it.

Last edited by Sunspace; 01-06-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 PM

In Florida, I didn't have enough cash for some of the toll roads around Orlando. So they took my driver's license and filled out a form, and they gave me a receipt with what I owed and were should I mail the amount owed.

Funny thing... in one of the tolls, they forgot to give me back my license. I went to my relatives' house, ate, had lunch, and realized I didn't have my license to give to the toll booth to exit the city. So after going back to my relatives, getting cash to pay for the toll, I stopped at it and asked them if they, by any chance, had a driver's license.

Luckily, they didn't fine me for driving without a license. After all, it was in their possession (they forgot to give it back to me)!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM

In the mid 80s, I was driving south on the Golden Gate Bridge, and I realized I didn't have my wallet or any money to pay the toll (which was and still is collected only when reaching the SF side). I parked at the admin building just before the toll plaza, went inside and explained my problem. As far as I remember, there weren't any forms to fill out. They gave me an address to mail a check for the toll and let me go. I sent the check out a couple of days later.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM

We ended up with a bad EZPass transponder and didn't know. In New Jersey, if you went through an EZPass lane without a valid transponder, it would say "Go" instead of "Go EZPass".

About four to six months after having this bum transponder, we started getting fine notices from the NJT authority. The bill was for the maximum possible toll, plus $60. The form did include a spot where you could explain why you shouldn't be held responsible (like the car was stolen, or you had a bad transponder).

We didn't have to pay any fines, but we did end up having to fill in about 30 of these forms.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

Quote:
. . . the tolls are expensive (18.5c/km!) . . .
. . . but worth every cent compared to the alternatives (IMHO). And it's a terrific road, in pristine shape, easy to go way over the limit (at least where I go, i.e. between the 400 and 404 almost exclusively).

Last edited by KarlGauss; 01-06-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
. . . but worth every cent compared to the alternatives (IMHO). And it's a terrific road, in pristine shape, easy to go way over the limit (at least where I go, i.e. between the 400 and 404 almost exclusively).
That explains why, when I took it, I was doing 120 and I was still the second slowest thing on the road...
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidin View Post
Interestingly, all of that being said it seems that NJ is still losing a fair amount in various toll evasion schemes.
They make up for it with BS. While I was in Maryland, they claimed that I was parked at JFK (multiple Turnpike tolls, plus the McHenry Tunnel). But, to the EZPass folks, I was clearly parked at JFK for several days.

Upon protest, the told me to call the parking folks at JFK... their answer was "I just work the booth - I have nothing to do with EZPass." After telling EZPass this, the response I got was "Dispute rejected."

I'm a fan of EZPass as a concept, but getting billed over $300 for parking in a place 300 miles away is utter BS.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Here's the beginning of the application. Select Canada. An application form opens, complete with fine print. You can select QC as your state/province of origin.

Did they tell you that there's a minimum bridge usaqe? I can't see anything about it.
Read this. It is at the very top of the application in the link you provided:

Important Notice to EZPass Applicants outside of New York State and Canada : Thank you for considering enrolling in EZPass. We encourage you to join the millions of users who have benefited from the program. But, please enroll in the EZPass program where you intend to travel most. Customers who sign up for a Peace Bridge EZPass and don't travel Peace Bridge for an extended period of time may have their accounts deactivated. We want you to enjoy all the benefits of EZPass, so enroll in the program that is close to home and where you travel the most.

I have never used the Peace Bridge and have no reason for doing so.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrenze View Post
Luckily, they didn't fine me for driving without a license. After all, it was in their possession (they forgot to give it back to me)!
This might help, whenever something important is out of my wallet (credit card, driver's license, etc), I keep my wallet in my hand as a reminder until the important item is back.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Read this. It is at the very top of the application in the link you provided:

Important Notice to EZPass Applicants outside of New York State and Canada...
Bolding mine. This means that US applicants should use their closest E-Z Pass agency. As far as I can tell, Canadians have no choice but to use the Peace Bridge agency.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Hari Seldon, Massachusetts's FastPass system is interchangeable with NewYork's EZPass. I'm not sure about residency / mailing address requirements.

Sunspace, I've driven on the 407 in a car with Massachusetts plates many times, with and without a FastPass transponder. I'm happy to say I never saw any tickets or charges....
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

The policy is fairly lax in Illinois. Anytime you can't pay a toll, you just take the I-pass lane and pay it online with a credit card (the amount of the toll, no fine or anything extra). You have 7 days to pay the toll--I forgot change when I took the toll road over xmas and put the $.60 fee on my credit card the next day. After the 7 days expire, they assign a per-occurrence fee with compounding late charges.

In my dumber years (well a couple years ago, so not that long--but significantly dumber), I racked up $1k in fees from 4 unpaid tolls. They settled with me for $600. I had changed my address but not kept it current with the state, so I didn't even know they caught me. le sigh.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM

Well, around Dallas, the North Texas Tollway Authority now has no stop tollbooths for all. If you have a toll tag it debits from your account. If you don't they photograph your plates and send you a bill at a higher rate. They don't necessarily have access to all databases of out of state plates, so go ahead and go through - might not get a bill.

On the Oklahoma Turnpikes, I got pulled over recently for blowing through the EZPass lane on my way out of state. Turns out my tag was expired (family account). Got the tag confiscated and a long talking to by a state trooper who had been lurking and monitoring people who went through the EZPass lane looking for scofflaws. Got the statement in the mail recently, and they didn't charge for the tollbooths I inadvertently skipped on my drive across half the state.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 PM

I've blown through the EZ Pass lane quite a few times on my motorcycle without the transponder registering. Each time it shows up on my statement, showing my license plate number, instead of the transponder tag, with no additional fee.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
I've blown through the EZ Pass lane quite a few times on my motorcycle without the transponder registering. Each time it shows up on my statement, showing my license plate number, instead of the transponder tag, with no additional fee.
Yeah, that's how the system is supposed to work if you have your license plate number registered with your transponder in the EZ-Pass system. If it can't find a transponder it will try to match your license plate with a known transponder in the system and charge that.

In the Bay Area we have FasTrak, which is similar to EZ-Pass, and once in a while the transponder doesn't work. So, just as in your case, on the statement it shows my license plate instead of the transponder tag, with no additional fee.

Of course that makes it very important to notify the DMV if your car is sold or stolen, because otherwise there's a chance someone could drive your car across a toll bridge and have it charged to you.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Hari Seldon, in addition to the suggestions you have somewhat prematurely dismissed, the NJ Ezpass authority does not require either a credit card or a US address to enroll. (most of them probably don't, frankly)

You can fill up an ez pass with cash. They'll just take a tag deposit as security for the device.

You can also walk into most turnpike travel centers and buy an ez pass right then and there - there's no indication that you have to supply a US address when enrolling the ez-pass-to-go tag. The one thing having a canadian address may limit is your ability to get additional passes for your account.

Last edited by Rumor_Watkins; 01-12-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Bolding mine. This means that US applicants should use their closest E-Z Pass agency. As far as I can tell, Canadians have no choice but to use the Peace Bridge agency.
I beg to differ. I called the Peace Bridge Authority and was told in no uncertain terms that they would cancel the pass unless I used the Peace Bridge regularly. So I am basically screwed.

Last edited by Hari Seldon; 01-12-2011 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: correct a typo
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I beg to differ. I called the Peace Bridge Authority and was told in no uncertain terms that they would cancel the pass unless I used the Peace Bridge regularly. So I am basically screwed.
Well, bother. Thanks for getting the real straight dope on that. They need to be more clear in their writing then. As it is, it's ambiguous.

And why would they care whether you use the bridge or not?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Technically, it's the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority, not the Illinois Department of Transportation -- they're two separate and independent agencies. ITSHA is responsible for the tollways; IDOT is responsible for the non-toll roads.

ISTHA entry on Wikipedia
Illinois Tollway website
IDOT entry on Wikipedia
IDOT website
I live in Illinois, and have an I-Pass unit on my car but not my wife's. One day, driving h er car, we unexpectedly went on some toll roads and only realized later that I did it in her car, without the I-Pass.

I made a phone call, explained and they simply added her car to my account, found the tolls I blew without paying, then deducted that amount from my account. No fines.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM

In PA, they take down your license and mail you a request for the fee plus $1 for handling. I'm sure if you don't pay it there's a late charge, but I can't recall what it was. All in all, not bad at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM

On & at PA turnpikes & toll booths why pictures are taken can the driver clearly be seen?

A two part question...
1. Can a vehicle driver be photographed either while driving on the turnpike OR going through the toll booths OR can only the license plates be photographed?

2. How long are the images saved for and are they saved if there was NO violation? Do they keep pictures of all passing vehicles?:
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumor_Watkins View Post
Hari Seldon, in addition to the suggestions you have somewhat prematurely dismissed, the NJ Ezpass authority does not require either a credit card or a US address to enroll. (most of them probably don't, frankly)

You can fill up an ez pass with cash. They'll just take a tag deposit as security for the device.

You can also walk into most turnpike travel centers and buy an ez pass right then and there - there's no indication that you have to supply a US address when enrolling the ez-pass-to-go tag. The one thing having a canadian address may limit is your ability to get additional passes for your account.
IIRC- one of the "invasion of privacy" complaints was that even though EZpass (NY/NJ) was pre-pay, you HAD to provide an address, you could not pay cash. There was some speculation in the article on why this was necessary - police tracking, etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM

This happened to D and I on the way to an Alzheimer's meeting/lunch.

We should have stopped at the ATM here in town, but each one of us thought the other had cash, so we didn't.

D said she knew the way (someone stole our aftermarket GPS) so off we went headed to Atlanta.

Since she hadn't been that way in years, she didn't realize that I85 turns into highway 400, so here we are at a tollbooth.

"50 cents please"

We didn't have it and D explained we made a wrong turn and weren't supposed to go this way.

So this nice lady said, "Well, do you have any change?"

We came up with 36 cents from one of the cup holders and she took that and then gave us the correct directions.

We could have paid a toll violation fine.

Just a little anecdote.

Q
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
The bridges and tunnels within New York City (such as the Battery Tunnel and Verrazano Bridge, not the NJ border crossings) have gates on them, and will not lift until the toll is paid.

[edit]

By the way, the gate is at windshield height, so I don't think it would be very smart to just try to drive straight through.
Way back when I-95 still had tolls on the stretch through Connecticut, I found myself at an automated booth with no cash. I had stopped with my driver's window next to the coin hopper, and I noticed that the front of my hood was already under the gate (cars were bigger then). So I inched forward. The gate touched the windshield, then hitched upward as it squeaked along the glass, leaving a thin, red-and-white streak along the way. Once the gate was on my roof, I drove through.

A year or two later, I was at a tollbooth in NYC. Again, no coins for the hopper. (It may or may not have been the same car; I don't remember.) As I inched forward, the gate touched my windshield and then quickly snapped off. I remember thinking it looked like balsa wood as it flew past me.

Oddly, I had no repercussions from either incident. This was before robot cameras were common, but they weren't unheard of, and there were attendants in adjacent booths both times.

Kids: Do not try this at home I mean, at toll booths.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
Way back when I-95 still had tolls on the stretch through Connecticut, I found myself at an automated booth with no cash. I had stopped with my driver's window next to the coin hopper, and I noticed that the front of my hood was already under the gate (cars were bigger then). So I inched forward. The gate touched the windshield, then hitched upward as it squeaked along the glass, leaving a thin, red-and-white streak along the way. Once the gate was on my roof, I drove through.

A year or two later, I was at a tollbooth in NYC. Again, no coins for the hopper. (It may or may not have been the same car; I don't remember.) As I inched forward, the gate touched my windshield and then quickly snapped off. I remember thinking it looked like balsa wood as it flew past me.

Oddly, I had no repercussions from either incident. This was before robot cameras were common, but they weren't unheard of, and there were attendants in adjacent booths both times.

Kids: Do not try this at home I mean, at toll booths.
Mr. Wimbley, it happened again...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM

Wrong reply...

Last edited by aeroxy; 11-10-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
In Atlanta, our toll road only costs fifty cents. If you drive through without paying, they send you a bill for $25.50, fifty cents for the toll and $25 for the fine.
Give a politician a way to fleece the public and they will do it every time. Yeah, I mean a $25 fine on a .50 cent mistake, that's reasonable. When are we as citizens going to say enough is enough?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Heartwarming story...

I pulled up to a toll booth operator exiting the PA Turnpike having just realized that I didn't have any cash to pay the toll. I said, "What happens if you don't have money to pay the toll?" She asked me if I had a checkbook and I said "nope". She then told me to pull over and park in the lot and go inside to see an officer to fill out some form. When I started to get out of my car another car pulled up next to me and the driver shouted out the window "don't worry! I got it!" and drove away.

Aww...Thanks random dude in a truck! You're the coolest!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
Give a politician a way to fleece the public and they will do it every time. Yeah, I mean a $25 fine on a .50 cent mistake, that's reasonable. When are we as citizens going to say enough is enough?
I think the point is not to be reasonable, but to penalize you enough that you won't decide just to make that way of doing it your standard operating procedure.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I think the point is not to be reasonable, but to penalize you enough that you won't decide just to make that way of doing it your standard operating procedure.
Likely so. There's a city in suburban Chicago (Naperville) which has grown tremendously over the past few decades, and is now well over 100,000 people. The demand for parking at Naperville's commuter train station (for people to commute to jobs in downtown Chicago) far exceeds demand; the wait list for spots in the lot is about 10 years long. As parking tickets (for illegally parking on the streets near the train station) are only $15, which is even less than the cost of parking in a downtown Chicago lot or ramp, there are many people who now just view parking tickets as part of their commuting cost.