The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Cashing a check without ID? (USA)

So my 19YO daughter is at her wits' end. She finally landed a job, and she's got her first pay check. The problem? When she was ready to cash it, she noticed that her photo ID was expired, so instead of trying to use an expired ID to cash her check, she went to the DMV to get an updated ID. They took her expired one and said they'd mail her the new one. But she still doesn't have it.

Now she's broke, she needs money, and she knows her ID won't come on Monday, either, because it's MLK day, and there's no mail delivery.

I told her that she could sign it over to her friend Shawn, who has a checking account, and he could deposit it in his account, and effectively cash it for her. But his bank says they can't do that. I don't understand that at all. I've done that kind of thing lots of times!

I would help her if I was closer, but it's a 2.5 hour drive, one way.

So can anyone think of a legitimate way for her to get this check cashed without her photo ID?
Advertisements  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Think she's SOL. I can't imagine anywhere is going to cash a check without ID. You really can't just make the drive? 2.5 hours is only what, like 100 miles?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't she have any other form of ID, like a passport or birth certificate? And why isn't her workplace paying the money directly into her bank account?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM

She's probably SOL, but before you go haring off across country, have her check with some of those skeezy check-forwarding-cash services. They charge a shite-load for their "services" but it may still be less expensive than a tank of gas. I know that they WILL use birth records, passports, and other forms of ID, where any bank that's open on weekends is likely to not accept those because they aren't "standard" state ID.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Think she's SOL. I can't imagine anywhere is going to cash a check without ID. You really can't just make the drive? 2.5 hours is only what, like 100 miles?
Well, it's a little more complicated than that. See, I have an 11YO at home here with me. So my choices about being gone for six hours start to involve her. Either I have to subject mudgirl to spending her Sunday in a car, or to spending her Sunday alone. Neither option is very attractive.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew View Post
I told her that she could sign it over to her friend Shawn, who has a checking account, and he could deposit it in his account, and effectively cash it for her. But his bank says they can't do that. I don't understand that at all. I've done that kind of thing lots of times!
Of course the bank can do this. Maybe he just said that because he doesn't want to be on the line in case it bounces. All he has to do is withdraw the money from his account and also deposit the check. They'll place a hold on the funds until the check clears, but if he has enough money in his account to cover the check and the amount he wants to withdraw, he can withdraw money to give to her.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Doesn't she have any other form of ID, like a passport or birth certificate? And why isn't her workplace paying the money directly into her bank account?
She has a birth certificate, but noplace will deal with her without a photo ID. She does not have a passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
She's probably SOL, but before you go haring off across country, have her check with some of those skeezy check-forwarding-cash services. They charge a shite-load for their "services" but it may still be less expensive than a tank of gas. I know that they WILL use birth records, passports, and other forms of ID, where any bank that's open on weekends is likely to not accept those because they aren't "standard" state ID.
Yeah, I thought about this, too. I think before I let her do something like that, I'd make the 15-minute drive to the nearest grocery store that has Western Union services, and Western Union her some money. I think they have a deal these days where you can send up to $200.00 for $9.95. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper (and easier) than making the drive!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I'd make the 15-minute drive to the nearest grocery store that has Western Union services, and Western Union her some money. I think they have a deal these days where you can send up to $200.00 for $9.95. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper (and easier) than making the drive!
If you use a credit card you could even send Western Union online from their website without having to leave the house.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Of course the bank can do this. Maybe he just said that because he doesn't want to be on the line in case it bounces. All he has to do is withdraw the money from his account and also deposit the check. They'll place a hold on the funds until the check clears, but if he has enough money in his account to cover the check and the amount he wants to withdraw, he can withdraw money to give to her.
I know! It didn't make any damned sense to me. Also, it's a business check, from her place of employment; not a personal check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
If you use a credit card you could even send Western Union online from their website without having to leave the house.
Yeah, I just found that out. Now all I have to do is make sure she doesn't need a photo ID to collect the money. I don't think so, though. I think I get some kind of code when I wire the money, and I tell her the code, and she uses it to pick the money up. The Western Union website is really unclear about how this works. . .
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Just note that this probably counts a cash advance. Most cards charge a higher interest rate for that and some don't have any grace period (ie, interest starts accuring immediately).
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Just note that this probably counts a cash advance. Most cards charge a higher interest rate for that and some don't have any grace period (ie, interest starts accuring immediately).
According to the website, I can send it using my Visa debit card, which is what I would do. It costs a couple of dollars more than sending it by agent, but given that it's a 15-minute drive, and it's icy out, it may well be worth another $4.00.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Almost all of the banks in my area stopped doing this years ago.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

The bank doesn't let you cash an endorsed check? That is strange. You people need new banks! Not only could I do this with my bank, I could scan the front and back of the check and email it to them. Wouldn't even have to leave my house to deposit it. Just scan, email, file away.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
So my 19YO daughter is at her wits' end. She finally landed a job, and she's got her first pay check. The problem? When she was ready to cash it, she noticed that her photo ID was expired, so instead of trying to use an expired ID to cash her check, she went to the DMV to get an updated ID. They took her expired one and said they'd mail her the new one. But she still doesn't have it.
So, how big is her paycheck that her loving parent can't lend her the money, or cash the check for her?

And, what about her employer? Can they cash her paycheck? I assume if she works at a grocery store or restaurant, they should be able to help her out. In many states, an employer is required to do that for certain classes of employees by law.

Does she have a bank account? There are still free low/no checking accounts that allow the account holders to use the bank's ATM for free.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Once this initial problem is addressed, it's time to work on Plan B; addressing some basic life skills with a credit union account that takes direct deposit and attention to those pesky little things in life. Because at some point if she doesn't learn it now, Mom's Bank may not always be available.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM
BANNED

A lot of banks just quit handling second party checks. I used to do it all the time in my youth, 'cause I travelled a lot.

I know lots of places on the south and west sides of Chicago that will cash a payroll check with NO ID, but they charge quite a lot.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazwart View Post
So, how big is her paycheck that her loving parent can't lend her the money, or cash the check for her?
It's not the size of the check that's the hold up. As I posted earlier, she's a 2.5 hour drive away. Which means spending most of my day traveling (plus the resultant expenses), and giving my 11YO the choice of spending most of her day traveling, or most of her day home alone! Like me, her loving father is 2.5 hours away, only in the opposite direction! (I'm in WV; hubby works out of town in Baltimore; 19YO is halfway between, in western Maryland).

Quote:
And, what about her employer? Can they cash her paycheck? I assume if she works at a grocery store or restaurant, they should be able to help her out. In many states, an employer is required to do that for certain classes of employees by law.
Don't know about the laws there. I do know she works for a call center, so there's probably not a pile of cash lying around.

[quote[Does she have a bank account? There are still free low/no checking accounts that allow the account holders to use the bank's ATM for free.[/QUOTE]
Opening a bank account so her pay can be direct-deposited is the first item on her agenda, after her new photo ID arrives. Ugh.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I think the strangest part of the story is her license expired at 19. What the hell is that about? Shouldn't it expire at 21?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM

There are lots of ways for you to send her money that don't involve a 2.5 hour drive. It still may take until tuesday though because of the holiday, but if I were you I'd investigate that angle.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
I think the strangest part of the story is her license expired at 19. What the hell is that about? Shouldn't it expire at 21?
Well, it wasn't a license, it was a learner's permit. Those expire much more rapidly than driver's licenses do.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Eh? You have to have ID in the US to pay a cheque in?

And to drive, apparently.

Land of the free and brave and stuff, eh?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

It's weird that they took her license and told her that they'd mail it, without any form of temporary ID. In Iowa, they no longer give the license right away, but in the meantime they stamp out a hole in the old one and give you a temporary card explaining it. If you present both, they serve as ID for the next 30 days.

I'd tell her to contact the DMV and find out what she's supposed to use as ID until this mailed one arrives; as you're required by law to present it to an officer if stopped, I find it very difficult to believe that the procedure in WV is that people just aren't supposed to drive for some unspecified time if their license expires.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman74 View Post
Eh? You have to have ID in the US to pay a cheque in?
Only if you're asking for cash and you don't have a bank account. The bank has no idea if the check is good.

A long shot -- if she can go to a branch of the bank where the check is drawn on, she may be able to convince them to cash it for her if she explains the situation. They should be able to see if the check is good.

Of course, banks will be closed Monday, too.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno
You people need new banks! Not only could I do this with my bank, I could scan the front and back of the check and email it to them. Wouldn't even have to leave my house to deposit it. Just scan, email, file away.
We'd need new banking laws. What you describe is not generally done in the US. I think Chase lets people image checks at home for deposit, but I'm not aware of any other banks doing anything like this yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz
And why isn't her workplace paying the money directly into her bank account?
It's not uncommon for one's first paycheck at a new job to be paper and subsequent checks are direct-deposit. Aside from that, the OP's daughter apparently doesn't have a checking account yet.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Answers & Solutions for Customers of US National Banks

Quote:
...her friend Shawn, who has a checking account, and he could deposit it in his account, and effectively cash it for her.
Her friend Shawn could lend her some money, no? Because I assume that his bank will cash a check that he presents only if his accounts have enough money to cover the check.

No other friend or relative or someone that she is living with will help her out? And she can't sell her plasma? I assume that your daughter will offer some new-hire-orientation suggestions to the call center when she returns to work.

But no US national bank has to cash a check for a non customer. A 19 year old can of course be ignorant of this.

The US Department of the Treasury has basic check-cashing and other info here, if more questions than "Answers About Cashing Checks" (all right, I get it already).
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by from_a_to_z View Post
Her friend Shawn could lend her some money, no? Because I assume that his bank will cash a check that he presents only if his accounts have enough money to cover the check.
She started this job about three weeks ago, but her first paycheck was messed up (17 hours short), and he did have enough cash available to help her out with that one. Other than that, she's been living off of loans from Shawn and other friends. Being 19, most of her friends are where she is (or in a similar situation) financially. IOW, they're making enough money to live from paycheck to paycheck, not a lot left over to 'carry' another person. Her roommates have been taking care of her share of the bills and stuff. They've all been 'loans', though, and she really hates the idea of getting more in debt when she effectively 'has' a few hundred sitting in her
pocket with just no way to access it!

Quote:
No other friend or relative or someone that she is living with will help her out?
Well, as I've said, she's pretty much tapped out all her friends. The only relative she has living locally is her older sister, who is unemployed (and probably unemployable) and totally broke. All other relatives are too far away to do much good on short notice.
Quote:
And she can't sell her plasma?
I have no idea what the prospects are on selling plasma in that particular town.

Quote:
The US Department of the Treasury has basic check-cashing and other info here, if more questions than "Answers About Cashing Checks" (all right, I get it already).
Thanks for the info.

I will be wiring her some money later today via Western Union, as sure as I make certain she won't need ID in order to collect it.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Keep in mind that if her buddy's checking account doesn't have any cash in it, there isn't much he can do. The bank would wait for the check to clear before he would be able to withdraw the money.

She needs a friend with a decent balance.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Remarkable as it seems to many people, most Americans still don't own a passport.

My bank requires a photo ID, which a birth certificate is not. And even if it were, I doubt she still looks like her infant self.

Everywhere I've worked, direct deposit required at least one pay cycle to take effect, sometimes two.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Western Union and IDs

Quote:
I will be wiring her some money later today via Western Union, as sure as I make certain she won't need ID in order to collect it.
Great. I for one would like to know how this all turns out.

Per Western Union, https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com.../detail/a_id/7: "With all services, your money may be on hold or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination, country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, Agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options." Maybe a recipient without a photo ID could have a unique tattoo or something. Or maybe one of your daughter's friends could be the one to receive the money.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda
Keep in mind that if her buddy's checking account doesn't have any cash in it, there isn't much he can do. The bank would wait for the check to clear before he would be able to withdraw the money.

She needs a friend with a decent balance.
Really? Harsh. I just assumed that the way my credit union does it -- letting you put a check in at the ATM and withdraw up to your daily limit immediately, or as much as you want from the actual tellers -- was the standard. Seemed scarily TRUSTING, of course, but...

Last edited by chorpler; 01-16-2011 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Added quote to specify who I was responding to, thanks to the people who responded while I was typing
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
It's weird that they took her license and told her that they'd mail it, without any form of temporary ID. In Iowa, they no longer give the license right away, but in the meantime they stamp out a hole in the old one and give you a temporary card explaining it. If you present both, they serve as ID for the next 30 days.
Yeah... Wisconsin here, and last time I got mine renewed, I offered my old one up to them and the DMV told me to hang onto it in case i ever needed a backup ID. This was after they handed my new one to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by from_a_to_z View Post
Great. I for one would like to know how this all turns out.

Per Western Union, https://thewesternunion.custhelp.com.../detail/a_id/7: "With all services, your money may be on hold or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination, country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, Agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options." Maybe a recipient without a photo ID could have a unique tattoo or something. Or maybe one of your daughter's friends could be the one to receive the money.
Oooh, good idea to wire it to a friend with a photo ID. One of her roommates would be willing to go with her to the store to pick up the money, I'm sure!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM
BANNED

Banks have weird rules. The thing to remember is the federal or state governments set rules for banks but they always make an exception for "suspicious transactions"

This basically means banks, if they think a check might not be honored can subject them to greater scrutiny.

Here's an example:

I was the asst controller of a hotel. I was in the process of getting a new bank for payroll. I chose Bank Of America, SOLEY because they assured me that any employee of the hotel I worked for, would be able to cash their payroll check at any of their branches. Other banks said things like "Only at the main branch"

So I was shocked when I tried to cash my payroll check at BoA and was denied. I called BoA and they said, "No, that's wrong. Here's what you should've done."

1) Tell them your company has a payroll cashing agreement with BoA
2) Present valid state issued ID or driver's license
3) Present valid company photo ID
4) Submit a thumb print

No one told me that employees would have to do this. So I tried it again and had another employee try it at a branch of BoA way out in the suburbs. BOTH TIMES IT WORKED.

So you can see banks will do things for customers but make them jump through hoops to get there.

The old days of service and banks are pretty much gone
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM

My credit union (based in CA) also allows deposit from a scanned image of a check, a new feature this year.

Why does it take a full pay cycle for direct deposit to start? Here in Canada the first paycheck (-que) was direct-deposited, and they didn't even require the usual voided cheque (-ck), just the routing information. The process was exactly the same, just faster.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

The only employer in the US I've had where direct deposit started on the first check was the Federal government - and that was in 2009. So either first check direct deposit is a new thing, or there's some weird regulation stopping it from occurring, or... I don't know.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:10 PM

As of a few years ago, you can send money to a recipient without ID via Western Union by specifying a "secret word" when sending the transfer that you would give to your daughter when you contact her to give her the control number that she needs to pick up the money. There is a max amount that you can send with only a code word, I want to say $1000. I would not be overly concerned about any holds or delays with WU, as you mentioned above, unless you are sending a large amount (I believe >$1500) via credit card and there are inconsistencies between your credit card contact info and your physical address/ph#. If you are concerned, just go to a physical WU location.

While I am here, I'll contribute my $.02 about why it usually takes more than one pay cycle to start receiving your paycheck by direct deposit - I believe the most common reason is that most employers outsource their payroll processing which can cause delays in adding new employees because the employer needs to pass on the info about the new hire to a third party. This is further complicated by the fact that, in order for your money to be credited to your account on payday, the payroll processor would need to electronically notify your bank, via the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system, of its commitment to forward the funds to your bank a few days in advance. For example, if you get paid on Fridays, your bank must receive confirmation of the direct deposit via ACH the preceding Tuesday or Wednesday, which means that you probably would need to be in the processors system the previous week, at a minimum. Other, "one time" payments such as tax refunds, Paypal, etc., that also utilize the ACH system can be processed immediately by the payer and received by the payee within 24-48 hours.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
As of a few years ago, you can send money to a recipient without ID via Western Union by specifying a "secret word" when sending the transfer that you would give to your daughter when you contact her to give her the control number that she needs to pick up the money. There is a max amount that you can send with only a code word, I want to say $1000. I would not be overly concerned about any holds or delays with WU, as you mentioned above, unless you are sending a large amount (I believe >$1500) via credit card and there are inconsistencies between your credit card contact info and your physical address/ph#. If you are concerned, just go to a physical WU location.
(Snipped)
Well, I skirted any doubt by actually wiring the money to a friend of hers who has photo ID and was available/willing to go with her for the pick-up.

Thanks for the info, though!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
We'd need new banking laws. What you describe is not generally done in the US. I think Chase lets people image checks at home for deposit, but I'm not aware of any other banks doing anything like this yet.
I use USAA.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Can't she endorse the check to you and you deposit it to your account? Then you can withdraw the cash and give it to her.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The only employer in the US I've had where direct deposit started on the first check was the Federal government - and that was in 2009. So either first check direct deposit is a new thing, or there's some weird regulation stopping it from occurring, or... I don't know.
The other reason is that many employees don't last beyond the first paycheck or two. If an employee is going to be let go, the most common time is right after they start the job, while they are still on probation. Supervisors can often tell within the first few days that this new person isn't suitable for the job.

And it costs money to set up a direct deposit, and even more money to shut it down. Plus extra fees if you use an outside payroll processing company. By not setting up direct deposit till the 2nd or 3rd paycheck, the company saves all those costs on the people who don't work out as employees. That adds up. Plus it makes sure the first paycheck gets to the employee on time, and it gives the company more time to get it set up.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Non sum ergo non cogito

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
While I am here, I'll contribute my $.02 about why it usually takes more than one pay cycle to start receiving your paycheck by direct deposit - I believe the most common reason is that most employers outsource their payroll processing which can cause delays in adding new employees because the employer needs to pass on the info about the new hire to a third party. This is further complicated by the fact that, in order for your money to be credited to your account on payday, the payroll processor would need to electronically notify your bank, via the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system, of its commitment to forward the funds to your bank a few days in advance. For example, if you get paid on Fridays, your bank must receive confirmation of the direct deposit via ACH the preceding Tuesday or Wednesday, which means that you probably would need to be in the processors system the previous week, at a minimum. Other, "one time" payments such as tax refunds, Paypal, etc., that also utilize the ACH system can be processed immediately by the payer and received by the payee within 24-48 hours.
I realize that I am in a different country, but I assume the mechanics of setting up direct deposit must be at least somewhat similar. Certainly my last three jobs had their direct deposits set up fast enough that my first paycheque was direct deposited. I think that was the case for the one before that as well, but it's too long ago to remember for certain.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcaro View Post
Can't she endorse the check to you and you deposit it to your account? Then you can withdraw the cash and give it to her.
She could, except that as I've already said, I live 2.5 hours away.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcaro View Post
Did you bother reading any of the thread? Or at least the entire OP?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Around here when someone without ID needs to cash a work check they go to the Mexican stores. They don't charge more than the liquor stores and they are more willing to take chances. The first time you have to fill out info, take a thumb print and a photo and then after that you just give your name.

Good everything is taken care of now!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
Around here when someone without ID needs to cash a work check they go to the Mexican stores. They don't charge more than the liquor stores and they are more willing to take chances. The first time you have to fill out info, take a thumb print and a photo and then after that you just give your name.
Heh. In a town like she lives in, a "Mexican store" would be 'the supermarket downtown that sells pickled jalapenos'.

Quote:
Good everything is taken care of now!
Yeah, I got an email from Western Union saying that the money had been successfully picked up.

I figure it'll be a couple of weeks before she gets to paying me back. After all, I'm the Mom, and she owes her friends money. I go to the bottom of the list. But that's OK. I knew kids were expensive before I ever had them!
Closed Thread