The best double edged razor blades

After having read some commenters (Zsofia, notably) praise old style double edged safety razor (like these: http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/conk/images/cc022.jpg ) I bought one and have been quite satisfied with it.

I found ebay to be a great place to buy blades. However, I’m having problems deciding which brand of blade to buy. I’ve heard that Feather is pretty good but what about Dorco, Blue Bird, Gillette, Topaz and all the others? I’m looking for a blade brand that stays sharp but cuts my hair, not my skin.

If it’s pertinent, I should note that I shave not just my face but also my head.

I’ve been using Merkur blades for a couple of years … haven’t had to unwrap the styptic pencil yet.

I use Derby blades. They sell them in 100 blades packs as well.

A lot of it is dependent on what you use them in- different razors have different angles, and blades don’t perform the same.

I’m a fan of Astra and Feather, followed by Derbys in my Gillette Fatboy, and a fan of the red box Personnas and Astras in my Merkur 33c, but not Derbys in that one.

I personally like the Feathers, but the Gilletes weren’t bad either.

West Coast Shaving sells a few different sample packs. I got one of those then ordered more of my favorite blade.

I use Feathers. I have pretty thick beard growth, and shave three times a week. A blade lasts three shaves comfortably.

I use Derby Extra. I have also used Merkur and they are infinity better, but too expensive for me.

I tend to buy mine on Amazon… Good prices there.

For what it’s worth, I saw a consumer program on TV the other week and they brought up the question of what razor is best. One expert (a barber) claimed that nothing beats a safety razor with double edged blades. The new-fangled double-, triple-, quadruple- and whathaveyou blade razors are nothing in comparison, according to him.

I fully agree with him. What is it now, $2.50 per disposable cartridge? I’d pay that, then I’d get one use out of it before it starts shredding my skin, giving me all kinds of razor burn and in-grown hairs, not to mention a bloody face.

At the time I didn’t realize there was another option, but I sure am glad I switched. Now I pay a dime per blade and get a better shave than I have ever had before. The foam/gel in a can shaving creams don’t hold a candle to a good shaving soap either.

What shaving soap do you recommend?

I use Col. Conk’s Bay Rum. It’s not top of the line, but it’s still a sight better than canned foam or gel. (Especially gel… I hate that stuff. My razor can barely reach my skin.) One cake will last you a few months, depending on how heavy you use it. I have a heavy beard and shave three times a week and it lasts me 3 months. (Though I do only shave my neck)

Taylor of Old Bond Street is also a great one, but it’s a bit too pricey for me.
ETA: I noticed you mentioned you shave your face and head, so you’d probably get about a month, maybe a month and a half out of the Col. Conk’s. It would also depend on how heavy you apply it.

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave is popular on the shaving forums. Not expensive and comes in lots of scents. It’s a health food store item; I buy it at a local grocery store that has a big natural food section.

If you don’t mind spending a bit, try Tabac Shaving Soap. It works out to not be so expensive after all because it lasts a long time. I hate the little glass bowl they sell it in; recommend buying just the soap and using a mug. I think the best way to describe the smell is – it smells like a man smelled when you were a little kid.

And thanks to geneb – I’ve added that sandalwood stuff to my wish list. :wink:

Slightly off topic: http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/2011/01/20/gillette

I use Proraso shaving soap and I’m pleased with it. It creates a pretty good foam for me.

Gillette double edge blades produced in Russia are easily available around here. They are very satisfactory and inexpensive.

I use the Derby Extra. They were well approved of by the frequenters of The Straight Razor Place, and were inexpensive from eBay. I have not tried other brands, since these have been plenty good enough and I rarely have to order a new box anyway, even now that my wife uses them to shave her legs as well.

The boyfriend likes Feather, but he’s tried all of them. I think he gets them on Amazon these days.

Use shaving oil instead. I generally use Cromwell & Caruthers, but I have never tried a shaving oil that didn’t beat the pants off any soap or cream.

(Generally, I use Derby or Lord blades. I find Feathers bite a bit.)

I bought blades this morning. My usual Gillette Mach 3. I like them. They’re comfortable and they give me a good shave.

But the price is just plain highway robbery. I’m sick of paying through the nose for blades. I’m going to have to look into this safety razor thing…

It’s not just the lower cost – it’s a better shave.