The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

What to serve with Swedish potato sausage?

I picked up some Swedish potato sausage. What do I eat with it?
Advertisements  
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I picked up some Swedish potato sausage. What do I eat with it?
Hey, I was going to post the same thing! I got 3 lbs at Uli's. Serving them with potatoes seems redundant. Lingonberries or whole-berry cranberries are a nice side, but what else?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 AM

These are sides offered by a nice Swedish restaurant where I've had Swedish potato sausages:
Mashed Potatoes
Boiled Potatoes
Mixed Rice
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Creamed Peas
Applesauce
Swedish Brown Beans
Sauerkraut
Pickled Beets
Mixed Steamed Vegetables

None of them exactly jump out at me, although homemade chunky applesauce is good.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 AM

Ok, I had to google since I've never had that sausage, but amongst the pictures of sausages as hot dogs <with potato salad on top?!> and kitties in christmas hats <maybe swedes eat cat sausage at christmas, I dunno...> I did find a link with a lot of recipes to use it IN...such as making potato cakes with it, or omelettes, casseroles...it might help if you have a lot to use.

http://www.familyoven.com/recipes/se...tato%20Sausage
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 AM

Red Cabbage!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM

What on Earth is a Swedish potato sausage. It's unknown in Sweden.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
It's a meat-and-potatoes sausage. A typical recipe can be found here. I've seen it across all sorts of Scandinavian cookbooks, so I don't think it's particularly Swedish, but that's the country it's most associated with here.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Ketchup is the traditional accompaniment around here. If you really want to get authentic, roast up a rutabaga on the side.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

And here's a poster in Sweden (scroll down to the middle of the page) claiming, although with some uncertainty, it exists there:

Quote:
From what I can tell, the product known as "Swedish potato sausage" still more or less exists in Sweden. Here's it's occasionally called a "potato" sausage but more often simply a "pork" or even "meat" sausage. They are sold raw and then poached before serving. One will probably and eventually show up in this post!
The Swedish name, so far as I can find, is potatiskorv, and apparently it's more of a Swedish-American thing than a Swedish thing, according to this book:

Quote:
We learn how Swedish Americans enjoy a traditional meal of potatiskorv (potato sausage) whereas few modern Swedes have ever heard of it
The sausage itself is associated with Swedish Christmas dinner, at least by Swedish-Americans. I wonder if it's just an older generation/regional sausage that was brought to America by immigrants, and then just mostly died out in the old country. Or perhaps it really is a Swedish-American invention. At any rate, it does seem to be strongly associated with the Swedish-American community, as this book title seems to suggest:

Quote:
Potatiskorv & Pionjärer

Tord och Eivor Wallström
Förlags AB Wiken 1988

Mat och människor i Amerikas svenskbygder, med 35 svenskamerikanska matrecept.

Potato Sausage and Pioneers

People and their Food in the Swedish-American Midwest.
With Summary in English.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-19-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
These sort of things happen all the time. I'm still confused by people talking about Swedish pancakes. All the pancakes I have seen here have either been American style or Crepes.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM

When my Swedish grandma made it she boiled quartered potatoes and carrot chunks, then we'd take the casings off the sausage and mash it all together and eat a big plate of mashed sausage and potatoes. It was awesome, though not very refined, I s'pose.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Hey, I was going to post the same thing! I got 3 lbs at Uli's.
Great minds think alike, eh?

I thought about lingonberries (and I have a jar or two), and also applesauce.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Spaetzle goes with anything.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 AM

As a Sweden, I'll chime in with the rest regarding never heard of this dish =)

On the other hand, there are plenty of things with national denominations that people from the nation in question have never heard of, or don't necessarily identify with. For Swedes, things like Swedish pancakes (which resemble sweet crêpes) and Swedish meatballs strike us as unremarkable (what's so special about making a small meatball?), while for example Swedish Massage was invented by a Swedish expatriate in France.

French dressing, French fries, Russian dressing, French toast...the list goes on.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM

And then, of course, we have kålrot = Swedish turnip (or just Swede or rutabaga depending on your location).
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatminipig View Post
On the other hand, there are plenty of things with national denominations that people from the nation in question have never heard of, or don't necessarily identify with. For Swedes, things like Swedish pancakes (which resemble sweet crêpes) and Swedish meatballs strike us as unremarkable (what's so special about making a small meatball?), while for example Swedish Massage was invented by a Swedish expatriate in France.
I'll guess that the usage came, as others have said about the sausages, from the large population of Scandinavian immigrants. In the U.S., 'pancake' has a certain meaning. Pancakes are thicker and heavier than crêpes. Sweet crêpes eaten in Europe, which I've seen and heard called 'pancakes', tend (IME) to be eaten with a squeeze of lemon juice and some powdered sugar. Pancakes in the U.S. tend to be eaten with butter and syrup (and somewhat often with peanut butter). This is not to imply that 'all Americans eat pancakes one way, and Europeans eat "pancakes" another way'; just a broad observation. I'm guessing that 'Swedish pancakes' are called that in the U.S. because Scandinavian immigrants eat/ate them, and the name is to distinguish then from the thicker American kind.

Similarly, 'meatlball' in the U.S. generally refers to balls of meat made with Italian-style seasonings, and are usually eaten with pasta. 'Swedish meatballs' are probably called so to differentiate them from the 'regular' kind. We also eat sweet-and-sour meatballs, teriyaki meatballs, and BBQ meatballs, which are popular as party food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatminipig View Post
French dressing, French fries, Russian dressing, French toast...the list goes on.
Straight Dope column:
Quote:
And so we arrive at your question. For also in the 1840s, pomme frites ("fried potatoes") first appeared in Paris. Sadly, we don't know the name of the ingenious chef who first sliced the potato into long slender pieces and fried them. But they were immediately popular, and were sold on the streets of Paris by push-cart vendors.

Frites spread to America where they were called French fried potatoes. You asked how they got their name--pretty obvious, I'd say: they came from France, and they were fried potatoes, so they were called "French fried potatoes." The name was shortened to "french fries" in the 1930s.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Swedish meatballs played an important role in 1948's I Remember Mama, about a Norwegian-American family.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 AM

a time honored Swedish supper

My mom made this every Christmas eve. We were 2 boys, 3 girls and a dad. It was our "family" traditional swedish supper.

The meal had:

2-3 lbs of ring swedish sausage (made by our local butcher)
cooked candied dark red kidney beans
swedish meatballs
gravy made from drippings of the browning of the meat for the meatballs
boiled buttered red potatoes
lingonberries (sometimes substituted for cranberry sauce)

We also had a dessert plate with assorted cookies- pepperkaker. spritz, gingerbread and caraway.

Some may say this is a bland meal and that may be true now a days but back in the early 70's living in the country it was a hearty meal and would make any child sleepy on Christmas Eve. A good thing!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
It's a meat-and-potatoes sausage. A typical recipe can be found here. I've seen it across all sorts of Scandinavian cookbooks, so I don't think it's particularly Swedish, but that's the country it's most associated with here.
Building a bit on this, I have it in my Finnish cookbook as perunamakkara. Like the Swedish version, these are pork sausages with potatoes as stretcher/filler, much in the way you would use oats or rice in the same manner in other types of sausage (like kishka, or boudin or whatnot.)

When it comes to a "true" potato sausage, you really can't beat the Lithuanians and their vedarai. It's pretty much 100% potato, save for some spices, and sometimes a bit of bacon for flavor. It is often served with a buttery bacon and sour cream sauce. I swear, I don't think there's a country that likes potatoes more than Lithuanians, Irish included. Last time I was at a Lithuanian restaurant, I ordered the Lithuanian plate, which contained about four or five main dishes, pretty much all of them with a heavy potato base. If you're a fan of potatoes, sour cream, and bacon hie thyself to a Lithuanian restuarant.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-15-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Korv is how my family always spelled it. (Sounds like curve - to me at least.) According to some of our Swedish relatives, it was a traditional 19th Century Christmas dish in rural areas. We described the dinners we had every year on Christmas Eve (tradition started by my mother's parents who emigrated from rural Sweden to the US in the first years of the 20th Century) and the rels said no one had eaten that kind of meal in Sweden for over 100 years.

(All spellings are suspect and may be missing diacritical marks {EDIT during composition} I just did some internet translation so it may be better now)

Julen gröt (Christmas rice porridge - sounded like 'yula grit' to me) with cinnamon sugar and milk. Takes tens of hours to cook, slowly adding milk to the rice as it swells.

Gamla Gubbe ("gooba" - saffron bread "old men") at each place setting; we called them gubba men which seems to mean men men. (I have recently heard that Gamla Gubbe has connotations of "Dirty Old Man" or pervert, which is puzzling as a Christmas decoration.) When my mother was tasked to make the gubbe one year, my grandmother took one look at the result and said, "Those gubbes are all cripples."

Breads, Goteborg sausage, Svea Ost, Kumin Ost (farmers' cheeses, with and without caraway seeds), knakebrot (like Ry-Krisp), several kinds of mustard (slotts/slöts/??sp??-senap - which seems to mean either castle mustard or closed mustard depending on how you spell it

Several kinds of herring, one of which was graslok sill (which seems to mean chives herring). We never had lutfisk, for which I am grateful.

Korv (potato sausage with finely ground beef and/or pork 1 to 1.25 inches {25-30mm} in diameter) (korv seems to mean simply 'sausage') - it explodes while boiling unless you prick it hundreds of times with needles before it goes in the boiling water (a fun project for the younger members of the family. The needles must be very sharp to avoid tearing the casing - which will also cause it to explode. It takes a fine discernment to pick a range of ages which can do the job safely yet will not get too enthusiastic and begin stabbing each other.)

Meatballs (very like the ones you can get at Ikea) in sauce

Bruna Bönor (brown beans) in sauce

Lingonberry preserves with almost everything (kind of like cranberry jelly at Thanksgiving)

(several other things which I can't seem to remember at the moment; I was usually full after the breads, meats, cheeses and herring)

BTW, I never liked Korv! Really bland.

At any rate, these are the things that I associate with Swedish potato sausage, having been obliged to have at least a taste every December 24th from 1943 to about 1963 when I left home. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited by pwmeek; 12-15-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Lefse - a flat potato (or not) Scandinavian bread. Looks like a flour tortilla. Butter it, sprinkle with brown or white sugar and a little cinnamon and roll it. Or mix soft butter with almond extract and white sugar to spread.

It's difficult to get really good lefse anymore. What I find in stores is often thick as shingles. It's best nice and thin. And all the church basement ladies are so busy these days they resort to using powdered milk and potato flakes. Ugh. I call it "concentration camp" lefse because it's something you'd feed to people you didn't care very much for.

If you are fortunate to have a few little old lady friends who still have the heavy old lefse irons and the patience and muscle to roll thin, the generosity to use real potatoes and cream, then you have a friend indeed. Bless them for they are leaving us (soon lefseless) daily.

Red cabbage and rutabaga are traditional. We mash the rutabaga with butter, salt and pepper. Boiled potatoes with a sprinkle of dill.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Forgot the cookies. Spritz, sandbakkelsa, rosettes, krumkaka, kringla, kringler - a stark white cooky platter that looks like what the landscape must have by the North Sea at Yule.

If you imbibe. You could serve glogg, a mulled wine.

Now if only people still went Julebukking. You think if I brought a plate of lefse I could get in on a Posadas somewhere? Oh yeah, I know it would be a little more sedate but it's certainly nice to see people carrying on their traditions.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Swedish meatballs played an important role in 1948's I Remember Mama, about a Norwegian-American family.
I remember and loved that show - but ever since I tasted that Fish Jello the Norwegians make, I have not trusted Scandinavian cuisine...
Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmeek View Post
I have recently heard that Gamla Gubbe has connotations of "Dirty Old Man" or pervert, which is puzzling as a Christmas decoration.
As I recall from my days of learning Swedish from native speakers, Gubbe means simply "Old man," as in, "I say, old man, have you any more of that simply scrumptious lutefisk?" The gamla is interesting, as it would imply he is an old old man, which certainly does sound pejorative to my ears.

I remember the song Gubben Noak, in which Old Man Noah was a man of good standing (though this was admittedly many, many years ago).
Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Gubbe has a slightly negative connotation. I would never understand gamla gubbe as dirty old man though.

Pwmeek what you call Julen gröt should be julgröt. I always called it risgrynsgröt

I have never heard of swedish potatoe sausage.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
Gubbe has a slightly negative connotation. I would never understand gamla gubbe as dirty old man though.

Pwmeek what you call Julen gröt should be julgröt. I always called it risgrynsgröt

I have never heard of swedish potatoe sausage.
(Having read the Wiki article) Ah, right. I forgot about hiding a single almond in the julgröt. Finding it in your bowl is supposed to confer good luck for the following year (or sometimes indicate the next to be married).

(Julen gröt was a suggestion from google-translate)

Last edited by pwmeek; 12-16-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmeek View Post
knakebrot (like Ry-Krisp), several kinds of mustard (slotts/slöts/??sp??-senap - which seems to mean either castle mustard or closed mustard depending on how you spell it
Make that knäckebröd and Slottssenap. Slottssenap could be translated as castle mustard, but it's just a trade name and I notice that Unilever, who owns it, call it Slotts senap, which would be Slott's mustard in English.

As for lefse, it's a Norwegian thing, not Swedish.