The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Forget XKCD - what does this Sluggy Freelance mean?

The link is to current, so it won't work when the comic updates. The caption is: "Either you get this one or you don't." There is a simple drawing of a duck, with blue arrows on it.

The only thing I can think of is a reference to Avatar: The Last Airbender. If it's something more abscure and funnier, I'd like to know.

Feel free to speculated if you aren't completely certain. The arrows could also be the directions that the duck could move. A friend of mine said that in some stories, when avatars become gods, they assume the form of an animal, and this could be Aang being promoted.

Last edited by Yllaria; 01-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: That last one sounds like it's reaching
Advertisements  
Old 01-22-2011, 01:53 PM

This Side Down?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM

I don't read Sluggy Freelance, but looking through the past few comics, this looks like it's part of a story, not a one-off. The comic before it talking about making a fire-breathing duck, and mentions the four elements, so it may very well be an Avatar reference.

Edit: I know just as much about Avatar as I do about Sluggy Freelance, but now I see that Aang does have arrows down the sides of his arms as well. So yeah, definite Last Airbender reference.

Last edited by enalzi; 01-22-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Looking at the previous strip - definitely the Avatar. The woman refers to it as a master of all 4 elements and seems to be going through the motions of Bending.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 PM

The talk on the forums is that it is an Avatar: Last Airbender reference but I really don't get it.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Duck and spin?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I don't read Sluggy Freelance, but looking through the past few comics, this looks like it's part of a story, not a one-off. The comic before it talking about making a fire-breathing duck, and mentions the four elements, so it may very well be an Avatar reference.

Edit: I know just as much about Avatar as I do about Sluggy Freelance, but now I see that Aang does have arrows down the sides of his arms as well. So yeah, definite Last Airbender reference.
Yup. I hadn't seen the previoius comic. The two together make it obvious. Thanks, everyone.

I have Sluggy bookmarked for old times sake, but don't read it very often any more.

Last edited by Yllaria; 01-22-2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: and the title was supposed to be XKCD. Stupid typos.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Winter is Coming

Fixed title from SKCD to XKCD as I was passing by.

(Yeah, I don't get it either.)