The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Is anybody using an old kitchen chair to save your shoveled-out parking spot on the street yet?
Advertisements  
Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Is anybody using an old kitchen chair to save your shoveled-out parking spot on the street yet?
I absolutely refuse to do that, but I haven't touched my car yet today. I've never participated in that nonsense. I'll ease up on my anti-dibs stance for a day like today, but people do it when there's like a friggin two- or three-inch snowfall, sometimes leaving their dibs markers on the street for days after the snow has melted. The Sun-Times asked all the mayoral candidates about this today, and only one -- Doc Walls, I believe -- had the courage to speak out against it. I almost want to vote for the guy just for that.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-02-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Missed edit: It was Dock Walls indeed who was anti-dibs.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, my space is clearly visible in my heated garage.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
So, how does 2011 compare to 1967?
Impressive as last night's howling winds were, I'd have to say the '67 and '79 storms were more epic. The '67 storm brought the city to a standstill for five days. The '79 storm was one of a series of near-weekly massive snowfalls that eventually dumped nearly 90 inches on the city - I remember walking down an unshoveled commercial street in Evanston and having the tops of the parking meters at approximately ankle height. The city's response was inept; much of the city remained impassable for weeks and the CTA collapsed. I vividly remember standing on the Belmont L platform as the third train passed without stopping and thinking: I'm voting for Jane Byrne. A lot of other people obviously had the same thought.

Today, not so bad. The sidewalks on the block are mostly shoveled. My street isn't plowed, but Irving Park is clear, and my son's girlfriend managed to make it here from California and Devon via the bus and the Brown Line. Judging from the helicopter videos, though, it'll be a couple days before they get NB LSD cleared. They should have closed it way sooner than they did.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 02-02-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I'm here, home and safe!
Oh, good! I admit, I DopeStalked you after I posted, and was concerned you hadn't posted to any threads since last night! Glad to hear you're safe and sound.
Quote:
*hangs head in shame*

For the very first time in my life, I did. I apologize, but my rationalization is that it took three of us two hours to dig out (the other half of my car was buried by winds this morning), parking's not that tight on my street and my SO's 58 years old with a heart condition and a hernia, so I am NOT letting him near a shovel again if I can help it. (I tried to stop him the first time, which almost lead to our very first fight, but he prevailed and I watched him like a hawk to make sure he was taking it slow.)

So yes, this one time, I'm the asshole. I honestly do feel bad about it, but I did it for about 20 minutes while I ran to the store.

I did help the little old lady digging out her minivan all by herself, if that gets me any snow Karma points, though.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Re: the kitchen chair thing, I've never done it, but have always been amused by the idea. I wonder where it came from? How did it begin? Has it ever been sanctioned? Or outlawed? And what is the City's view of it? Maybe this hard-hitting issue would be a good topic for a Straight Dope Chicago column?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

*hangs head in shame*
Like I said, I'll give people a pass in these extreme circumstances. But anything less than a blizzard, and I think you're an asshole. (Not that any Chicagoans care what I think about them.)

In friendly neighborhood news, some unknown neighbor last night snowblowed the entire side of the block two or three times. Yay nice neighbors. It was a futile effort, as this morning you couldn't tell anything was snowblowed. But I did shovel out my walk, as well as my neighbor's. (I felt silly shoveling out only my part and leaving this huge bank of snow in front of my neighbor, when a big cleared strip of the block was just beyond that.)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Re: the kitchen chair thing, I've never done it, but have always been amused by the idea. I wonder where it came from? How did it begin? Has it ever been sanctioned? Or outlawed? And what is the City's view of it? Maybe this hard-hitting issue would be a good topic for a Straight Dope Chicago column?
It's technically illegal, but it's a tolerated and apparently much-loved tradition. It supposedly makes you a "Chicagoan" if the comments in the Sun-Times or Trib on this much-discussed seasonal issue are to be believed. None of the major mayoral candidates were brave enough to take a stance against it, and smartly so, politics-wise. Towards the end of the season, the City of Chicago tells people to remove their crap before they remove it themselves. I don't know how much they go through with their threat, though.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-02-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
The practice of "dibs" has been pretty well covered. For example, Eric Zorn writes about it here:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news...se-1.html#more

I think it came up a lot in the wake of '99 storm - if I get a minute I might root around in the archives. I pitched a dibs story to the Wall Street Journal following a big storm some years ago and got turned down on the grounds that it had been done. If some novel angle occurred to me I might run the idea past the Master, but right now I can't think of much that hasn't already been said.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 02-02-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM

I just heard a snippet on NPR--a guy (I have no idea who) apologizing for the "inconvenience" experienced by motorists on LSD last night. Unbelievable. I don't think he should apologize one bit. Yes, the decision could have been made sooner, but I doubt it would have changed things. There are always those people who think that they can make it, even if they've been warned and know that others haven't.

I am kinda wondering how I'm to get to work on Friday, though--I work on North Lake Shore Drive..... Still, that is over 24 hours away, so it may be clear (maybe not, given the bitter cold that's coming). I really don't want to take the L in bitter cold on Friday.

It turned out to be a gorgeous day down here: sunny, mild and beautiful. I spent the DAY shoveling my car out and my driveway. I am beat. (my driveway is about 200 ft long). I don't own a snow-blower.... A neighbor came by when I was about 2/3s done and offered his blower, so the last bit was much quicker. Thank god for good neighbors!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

So, as a born-and-raised Chicagoan, I'm still a little unclear about what exactly the dibs rules are.

If my car is in front of my house, and I shovel it out, I can call dibs. I got that.

1) Now, if my car is parked down the street, and I shovel that out, can I call dibs?
2) If my wife and I have cars, and they're both parked relatively in front of my house, but creeping into the neighbor's spot, or completely in the neighbor's spot, can I call dibs on that?

3) Now, if the answer to number 1 is that I can, can I just find a spot down the street that's empty, shovel it out and call dibs to reserve it for, say, a guest?
4) Can I call dibs if only minimal work was required to extricate my car. That is, is there an effort minimum to call dibs? For example, my car today is pretty much untouched because of the snow drifts. Meanwhile, across the street, or a few cars down, some are practically buried. I think it would take me maybe five minutes to get my car out, if that. Is it okay to call dibs in that case?

I'm being somewhat facetious with a couple of these, but I am genuinely curious as to the answer for #1.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
In friendly neighborhood news, some unknown neighbor last night snowblowed the entire side of the block two or three times. Yay nice neighbors.
Some schmuck over here made up for that by covering half our alley parking spot about 4' deep with a snowblower. I mean I know he had to put the snow somewhere, but come on, was that really necessary? Luckily Tom Scud was let out of work early yesterday and had the forethought to move the car to the street, because Lord knows when the alley will be passable again. I just spent about 90 minutes shoveling out as much snow as I could find anywhere to put.

Also, even if I'd tried to get to work who knows how long it would have taken to get there? The Brown Line was apparently shut down between Kimball and Western for a chunk of this morning.

On the bright side, our cable (meaning phone, Internet, and TV) was down starting about 9 pm last night, but is now back up. But we never lost power or heat, so it could be worse. And we have plenty of groceries.

Also, a tip form my mom; Evanston public parking garages are free until Friday at midnight. Why she thought it would be a good idea for us to drive over there last night, leave the car, and then get home Lord knows how is beyond me, but maybe the info will be of use to someone.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The first time I saw it was in '79.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM

I took a walk on LSD today around noon. A walk tight down the middle of it at Fullerton. They were still towing cars and I think I saw the bus that caused a lot of th problems. Downtown was cleared pretty quickly today. City has been impressive thus far.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, as a born-and-raised Chicagoan, I'm still a little unclear about what exactly the dibs rules are.
I don't believe in and get very annoyed with this practice about 99% of the time. Ok, today and the next couple days, it's alright if you dug your car out and it is within a reasonable distance from your home.

But most of the time, it's people who simply had parked there and left a car-sized hole in the snow. Here's another one: people who put the junk in the spot before the snow has fallen! They see a 15% chance of flurries forecast, drag some lumber and kitty litter buckets out from the crawlspace, set 'em up reeeeal nice and head off for work. I can hear it now: "What, it might snow.."

I say you need to have shoveled the spot, no saves under 4 inches of accumulation, two days if you shoveled and one day for each 6 inches (rounded down after the first two days).

Hey, the city should lease special black and blue sawhorses! For $200/year, you can lease a snowhorse, subject to my above rules. Penalty for misuse: Three months in county & vehicle forfeiture.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Just got back in after my wife and I drove my son's girlfriend home. By far the hardest part was getting out of, then back into the parking spot in front of our house. Other than that, piece of cake. The main streets are all plowed and most sidewalks are shoveled. Driving down the side streets, which they won't start plowing till tomorrow, is where you take a risk. If you can stay in the ruts and don't have a low-slung car, you should be OK. If you need to make a turn, though, good luck. Thinking this might be a problem, we brought shovels, and my 16-year-old and I did some digging at the corner when my wife, who was driving, got stuck. That done, we had to do a little additional digging to get her back into the space.

Confession: I used a construction barrier to block our parking space for the 45 minutes we were gone. On reconsideration, maybe I'll see if I can get the boss to do a column on dibs etiquette after all.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 02-02-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
I just heard a snippet on NPR--a guy (I have no idea who) apologizing for the "inconvenience" experienced by motorists on LSD last night.
Likely a snippet from the press briefing which I heard on WBBM-AM this afternoon...if so, that would have been Ray Orozco, Daley's chief of staff, who indicated that it was his decision to keep LSD open until that point.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-02-2011 at 10:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 PM

In a snow like this, absolutely people should be able to have dibs on the spot they spent hours digging out. I dunno, if it's during restricted parking-plow rules, when streets are plowed (over 2 inches?) when you still need to dig out of what the plow pushed against the cars, people should still be able to call dibs.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
In a snow like this, absolutely people should be able to have dibs on the spot they spent hours digging out.
I can live with this

Quote:
I dunno, if it's during restricted parking-plow rules, when streets are plowed (over 2 inches?) when you still need to dig out of what the plow pushed against the cars, people should still be able to call dibs.
This is silly. A couple inches should not give you dibs. Other than the fact that it makes the neighborhood look like a friggin ghetto, jackwipes down the street start calling dibs the moment there the merest rumor of snow and leave their crap on the street long after snow's been a distant memory. And I'm only very slightly exaggerating here. I've seriously seen people put crates up after about two inches of snow and leave it there for a week after the snow had melted.

Other than possibly Philadelphia, is this a common tradition elsewhere? (And is it common in Philly? Seems like exactly the sort of things Philadelphians would do.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-02-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM

These dibs barriers, is it customary to attach a note explaining why you're reserving it? Sometimes do others simply move them and park there anyway? I don't envy y'alls predicament one bit.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
These dibs barriers, is it customary to attach a note explaining why you're reserving it? Sometimes do others simply move them and park there anyway? I don't envy y'alls predicament one bit.
No and yes, respectively. I don't know how often they're moved, but I have seen some fistfights a brewin' when someone moves someone else's lawn chair from the street and gets caught doing it.

But overall, I'm amazed at how long some of these dibs spots go unstolen. I suppose it depends on the neighborhood and the parking availability, but the cultural taboo against touching another Chicagoan's parking spot chair runs surprisingly deep.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
On reconsideration, maybe I'll see if I can get the boss to do a column on dibs etiquette after all.
Maybe you could compare it to what's done in other cities, as well. Here in St. Louis, it's common knowledge that you have an absolute, irrevocable, God-given right to the space in front of your house -- plowed or not, lawn chair or not. In fact, one year the police dept. had to put out a statment that, no, there is nothing in city, state or federal law that guarantees the right to a parking space, that leaving a nasty note on someone's windshield does not constitute a legal claim, and that parking in "your" space doesn't give you the right to punch someone.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Chicago Savant

My apartment building is only a few steps from a CTA Red Line entrance, so I went to the Dame Myra Hess Memorial Concert at the Cultural Center, mostly to demonstrate how intrepid Chicagoans are. The snow was actually pretty modest downtown, perhaps 14 inches, and most of the sidewalks had been cleared by the various building staffs. But it was eerie seeing the Loop almost empty, with virtually no autos anywhere. Here's State & Madison—the "world's busiest intersection"—at 2:45 pm on a Wednesday:

http://tinypic.com/r/4r6psp/7
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sometimes do others simply move them and park there anyway?
You don't want to this. You may end up with a rock through your window (and I'm not kidding. Pretty sure we had a poster here who ended up with their car window smashed when they parked in a spot whose dibs marker had been thrown into the lawn--so they didn't even move it themselves.)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Sometimes, but at their peril. People who believe in the dibs system often believe that punishment for violating it includes damage to the tires or finish of the offender's vehicle.

Edit - oops, beaten to the punch!

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 02-03-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Did some preliminary research last night and the Boss thinks there might be enough for a column, provided we can add an angle or two, as follows:

In the wake of the blizzard, I notice people have resumed the time-honored Chicago practice of "dibs" - using an old kitchen chair to save their shoveled-out parking spot on the street. I've never done this, but have always been amused by the idea. Where did it come from? How did it begin? Has it ever been sanctioned? Or outlawed? What is the City's view of it? Do people in other cities do this? Is there a dibs etiquette? Maybe this would be a good topic for a hard-hitting Straight Dope Chicago column. --Tim R. Mortiss

OK by you?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't want to this. You may end up with a rock through your window (and I'm not kidding. Pretty sure we had a poster here who ended up with their car window smashed when they parked in a spot whose dibs marker had been thrown into the lawn--so they didn't even move it themselves.)
Yep, that was me.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
Did some preliminary research last night and the Boss thinks there might be enough for a column, provided we can add an angle or two, as follows:

In the wake of the blizzard, I notice people have resumed the time-honored Chicago practice of "dibs" - using an old kitchen chair to save their shoveled-out parking spot on the street. I've never done this, but have always been amused by the idea. Where did it come from? How did it begin? Has it ever been sanctioned? Or outlawed? What is the City's view of it? Do people in other cities do this? Is there a dibs etiquette? Maybe this would be a good topic for a hard-hitting Straight Dope Chicago column. --Tim R. Mortiss

OK by you?
I've never sounded better! Go for it......TRM
Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
I thought so; I just don't trust my memory as much these days as I used to.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Likely a snippet from the press briefing which I heard on WBBM-AM this afternoon...if so, that would have been Ray Orozco, Daley's chief of staff, who indicated that it was his decision to keep LSD open until that point.
Yes, it was him. I really hope that people don't get down on the city workers or the city for not twitching their noses and making the snow all disappear instantly etc. It's easy to say in hindsight what should have been done etc, but really this is a case of Mother Nature getting the better of humans for a short time. Sure there have been times in the past when the city has NOT responded well to blizzards (1979 springs to mind), but that was not the case this time around.

Or am I just getting this "we must have a controversy because we are news journalists and every story must have conflict of some sort" vibe from NPR? (It's the only source of news I've heard that's running this approach. Not that I am glued to the TV, so I'm probably missing something).

Last edited by eleanorigby; 02-03-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I can live with this

This is silly. A couple inches should not give you dibs. Other than the fact that it makes the neighborhood look like a friggin ghetto, jackwipes down the street start calling dibs the moment there the merest rumor of snow and leave their crap on the street long after snow's been a distant memory. And I'm only very slightly exaggerating here. I've seriously seen people put crates up after about two inches of snow and leave it there for a week after the snow had melted.

Other than possibly Philadelphia, is this a common tradition elsewhere? (And is it common in Philly? Seems like exactly the sort of things Philadelphians would do.)
very common in philly. people have been shot for parking where they have not shoveled. and it is not just for winter time as well. it is used all year around, mostly for shopping runs in the non-winter months.

i would think the "reserved" space thing is very common in cities that were before the car, and no off street parking.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Or am I just getting this "we must have a controversy because we are news journalists and every story must have conflict of some sort" vibe from NPR? (It's the only source of news I've heard that's running this approach. Not that I am glued to the TV, so I'm probably missing something).
No, they're not the only ones. The networks are doing the same thing. Ridiculous, as far as I can tell. I know my sample isn't large, but no one here, on my street or on my Facebook list is grumbling at all. Frankly, I think they've done a pretty phenomenal job, given what they had to deal with. I mean, idiots ignore two days of warnings and get stuck on Lake Shore Drive and the city not only digs them out and tows their cars to a safe place, but gives them free gas to get their cars home again? That's way above and beyond, I think.

Good job, Chicago Streets and Sanitation <----now there's an accolade I never expected to utter!

Last edited by WhyNot; 02-03-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I think it's just human nature to grumble when one is being inconvenienced. Pointing a finger at Mother Nature (or god forbid at yourself) doesn't salve the frustration, but City agencies make a nice scapegoat.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

The following from the Master may illuminate the dibs situation:

http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20110203.php
Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM

That was fast! Thanks!!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

See further developments here.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I think it's just human nature to grumble when one is being inconvenienced. Pointing a finger at Mother Nature (or god forbid at yourself) doesn't salve the frustration, but City agencies make a nice scapegoat.
People suck, then. Just my 2 cents.

Driving LSD today was a nightmare MOSTLY due to the other drivers. Mountains of snow around us, irregular lanes (to say the least) and jerks still weave in and out of traffic, only to find that SURPRISE! their "lane" disappeared because the plow veered, so there was a great deal of slamming on brakes and horn honking etc. Gee, if they'd just slow down a bit, they could anticipate the lane changes.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM

You're braver than I am! I'm not getting back on LSD for at least a week. Hell, I haven't even dug my car out yet. I'm going to load up my ChicaGo card and be a non-driver for as long as I can.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're braver than I am! I'm not getting back on LSD for at least a week.
Maybe after a week, you can try for a month. Then full sobriety!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 AM

I feel the SD communal pain.

Here in Sydney tonight the minimum temperature is forecast at 30, after hitting a high of 42 this arvo.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 AM
BANNED

What was the official snowfall for Chicago this time? In Dearborn Mich., we got about 9 inches. The wind was fierce and took the cable and electricity out sporadically .
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Officially we got between 18-22 inches depending on exact location. That's before drifting, of course.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You're braver than I am! I'm not getting back on LSD for at least a week. Hell, I haven't even dug my car out yet. I'm going to load up my ChicaGo card and be a non-driver for as long as I can.
Amen. I heartily endorse this sentiment.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Dibs in Philadelphia

I've seen it in the Philadelphia area where I've lived for about 20 years. Also up Easton way. Anytime there is enough snow to make shoveling it troublesome, the chairs come out. The practice goes back to staking a claim on a mine, I dug it, I own it.
I've seen it all along the NY/NJ area, now Philly.
There was a Best Of Craigslist post for Philadelphia in the free section that I saw a few weeks ago. Lawn furniture for free, I put it in parking spots all over the Philadelphia area. Help yourself, first come first served.
As far as taking a spot I'd think you need to worry about the chair being used to extract vengeance by the shoveler.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:47 PM

My girlfriend is a transplanted New Yorker (from Queens). She claims never to have heard of such a thing, and can't believe that Chicagoans are so barbaric as to think they have a right to claim a spot.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM
BANNED

Hows the weather today. In Dearborn we had 5 inches so far today and it is still falling. Streets are in horrible shape.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Officially we got between 18-22 inches depending on exact location. That's before drifting, of course.
The official amount at O'Hare was 20.2 inches, IIRC. It was a touch higher at Midway (20.9", IIRC).
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

And 2-4 inches higher out here in NW Indiana where I live. Lake effect snow on top of the blizzard.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM

when I was growing up in Chicago - some 60+ years ago, it was considered bad form to park in front of someone else's house. I can still hear Grandma saying, "He lives across the street and he parks in front of my house. He's too lazy to drive around the block." And you better not move her chairs!